• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They just moved every movie except the Avengers ones 6 months forward. Whats stopping them from keep moving movies that arent Spider-Man centric forward into infinity (no pun intended).
So they all still come to the cinema? So basicly nothing big has changed.

Arent they though? Why wouldn't they make money from him?
They earn zero dollars of the movie. Its all Sonys money. They just earn money from the merchandise.
With a Black Panther, Captain Marvel or another upcoming new character, they get boxoffice money and merchandise money.

Neoxon

Idealy, this is how the Spidey movies would function...

Marvel: Hey, we were thinking of doing this with Spidey.
Sony: *lightly glances at script* Sure, go ahead.

Loke13

I'm a bit worried for the lesser known heroes now that Spidey is in Marvels hands again.
I am more looking forward to the new heroe-films than yet another Spider-Man flick.

I had no problem with the MCU not including Spidey simply for the fact that I find new and original characters and stories more engaging than to rehash the same heroes again and again.

Spidey should have to wait until after Infinity War 2 imo. Stop cuttnig in line you douchebag!
I could understand this complaint but Marvel hasn't had a tendency to do this. like at all. The MCU has brought the likes of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, and Hawkeye to a level of popularity not seen outside of the odd Saturday cartoon and thanks to the popularity of the Avengers we got the likes of GotG, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, Agent Carter, Iron Fist, AoS, and the Thunderbolts and this is all from the MCU!

The inclusion of Spider-Man in the MCU does nothing in stopping this train of creativity all it's done is push the movies back a few months. Nothing has been scrapped.

Pachimari

I could understand this complaint but Marvel hasn't had a tendency to do this. like at all. The MCU has brought the likes of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, and Hawkeye to a level of popularity not seen outside of the odd Saturday cartoon and thanks to the popularity of the Avengers we got the likes of GotG, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, Agent Carter, Iron Fist, AoS, and the Inhumans and this is all from the MCU!

The inclusion of Spider-Man in the MCU does nothing in stopping this train of creativity all it's done is push the movies back a few months. Nothing has been scrapped.

Fixed that for you.

Even though I have been reading Marvel since childhood, I didn't even know Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Jessica Jones, Agent Carter or the Inhumans until they got their own show/movie.

Neoxon

Hm... that stills my worry a bit... still not happy about the movies being held back though.
Put it this way, if you get Michael Jordan at his prime on your team, you can bet your ass that you would rearrange your entire team to start with him.

They just moved every movie except the Avengers ones 6 months forward. Whats stopping them from keep moving movies that arent Spider-Man centric forward into infinity (no pun intended).

Black Panther became a summer blockbuster by getting pushed back, so it's not like it's all bad.

Arent they though? Why wouldn't they make money from him?

What was stated is that Marvel pays nothing to use Spidey in the MCU, but also receives nothing from his solo movies directly either. Marvel will instead get paid through Box Office Milestones (i.e. movie breaks $400M/$600M/$800M) and still collect 100% of the Spider-Man merchandising which far eclipses any movie revenue on a yearly basis anyway.

Basically, everyone wins in this situation, including Black Panther.
Biggest winner is us, because Marvel is basically making the next Spider-Man movie as well.

I assume you mean NY comic con? The schedule was tight and they were busy filming, don't know why you were expecting much. I also don't see why having it end phase 2 instead of beginning phase 3 would lead you to believe that, especially when it comes out a couple months after AoU and with how massive Civil War has become.

Also you are starting to see the toy line for Ant-man emerge.

No, the October 28 event where they announced the entire Phase 3 lineup. Even if they didn't have footage ready to show, they could at least have had some sort of video message from the cast and crew, or shown off new concept art.

Ant-Man was always the odd man out in Marvel's film lineup. It's a smaller-scale story with smaller-scale stakes than most of their films; it doesn't expand the scope of the universe in the way that GotG or the new Phase 3 properties do; Scott Lang is a perennial guest star who has no real history of anchoring his own stories in 616 continuity; and it seemingly only got off the ground because it was Edgar Wright's baby for so long.

So, while it's certainly not impossible that Ant-Man 2 is coming in 2019 or later, I'll believe it when it's announced.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the worst Phase 2 box-office performer, either.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, if anything revenue-wise Marvel will be more interested in using Spider-Man cameos as a way to push the more obscure stuff to the front even more, they won't allow the use of the character to hamper anything concerning their own movies. The schedule rearranging is just part of the long game.

Loke13

No, the October 28 event where they announced the entire Phase 3 lineup. Even if they didn't have footage ready to show, they could at least have had some sort of video message from the cast and crew, or shown off new concept art.

Ant-Man was always the odd man out in Marvel's film lineup. It's a smaller-scale story with smaller-scale stakes than most of their films; it doesn't expand the scope of the universe in the way that GotG or the new Phase 3 properties do; Scott Lang is a perennial guest star who has no real history of anchoring his own stories in 616 continuity; and it seemingly only got off the ground because it was Edgar Wright's baby for so long.

So, while it's certainly not impossible that Ant-Man 2 is coming in 2019 or later, I'll believe it when it's announced.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the worst Phase 2 box-office performer, either.
Coming two months after the almost guaranteed success of Avengers 2? Highly doubtful.

Coming two months after the almost guaranteed success of Avengers 2? Highly doubtful.

Perhaps. But I just don't get the sense that Marvel has the kind of faith in Ant-Man that they had in GotG; I feel like it only exists because it was too late to come up with a completely different film for the July 2015 slot after they drove Wright off. It won't bomb, the Marvel brand is strong enough at this point to ensure that, but it probably won't be a huge hit either.

It breaks half a billi and they fast track a sequel for a slot in 2017. Watch.

This makes no sense; they literally just pushed back four films because they don't have the capacity to add a fourth slot for 2017, and you think they're going to add a fourth slot for Ant-Man when they couldn't for Spider-Man?

Even if there's no standalone Ant-Man sequel anytime soon (or ever), Lang and maybe Pym will still show up in Infinity War and maybe even Civil War. It's not like he'll be completely absent for the next five years.

Oh, I have no doubt that they'll use the character again. I just suspect they've already decided he's not franchise material.

Blader

Even if there's no standalone Ant-Man sequel anytime soon (or ever), Lang and maybe Pym will still show up in Infinity War and maybe even Civil War. It's not like he'll be completely absent for the next five years.

BLACKLAC

Perhaps. But I just don't get the sense that Marvel has the kind of faith in Ant-Man that they had in GotG; I feel like it only exists because it was too late to come up with a completely different film for the July 2015 slot after they drove Wright off. It won't bomb, the Marvel brand is strong enough at this point to ensure that, but it probably won't be a huge hit either.

imo the tech used for the film (macro-photography combined with cg) is why they pushed forward despite the Wright shenanigans.

They know they have a unique look on their hands and they want to be first to the punch.

ScBF5Xn.gif

Here is Kristian Harloff (schmoesknow) who has been on the set of Ant-man talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S4sxngBLs

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

This makes no sense; they literally just pushed back four films because they don't have the capacity to add a fourth slot for 2017, and you think they're going to add a fourth slot for Ant-Man when they couldn't for Spider-Man?

Oh, I have no doubt that they'll use the character again. I just suspect they've already decided he's not franchise material.

Ant Man was in dev ...for years like phase 1 time frame that movie could've been released and been in the past of both marvel studios and edgar wright. Ant Man/Hank Pym/Scott Lang would've been in AoU and be a superstar just like the rest of the team, and the world would still have that smedium good The Worlds End film to ignore on blu ray. After the re re re re re delay...it's hard to care it just didn't work out and both parties can move on.

Frog-fu

Banned
I've been reading the entirety of Civil War and just came to post: HOLY SHIT is Baron Zemo badass or what? I was never into Thunderbolts and didn't read much of him, but damn, he's such a cunning son of a bitch. He'd be a great anti-hero/villain in the MCU.

DeathyBoy

Banned

If it makes money, it'll get a sequel.

Simple as that. If it does okay, Lang will be like Banner; a character only used in Avenger's films. Which is fine - not every character needs THAT many films, and Ant-Man is hardly swimming in viable villains as it is.

If it makes money, it'll get a sequel.

Simple as that. If it does okay, Lang will be like Banner; a character only used in Avenger's films. Which is fine - not every character needs THAT many films, and Ant-Man is hardly swimming in viable villains as it is.

Eh, depends what you mean by "makes money." It's highly unlikely to be unprofitable, but if Marvel is already convinced that the character can't do as much for the brand as Strange/Black Panther/Captain Marvel/Inhumans/(insert unannounced new Phase 4 property here), it'd take a *lot* of money to change their minds.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Triple AAA Spoiler... Based of Comic Announcements for this Winter...

Marvel is reprinting Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America next winter... And they often reprint MCU-related content....

BLACKLAC

Jeremy Renner Confirmed For 'Captain America: Civil War'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/jeremy-renner-joins-amy-adams-in-denis-villeneuves-story-of-your-life-confirmed-for-captain-america-civil-war-20150306

So that’s really enough, but there’s more for comic book fans. It appears that Renner is now confirmed to reprise his role as Hawkeye in “Captain America: Civil War.” That’s going to be a jam packed super hero adventure that some are already dubbing “Avengers 2.5” as it will star Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr., Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, a possible Spider-Man cameo from whatever actor ends up taking that role, potentially Anthony Mackie and who know what other Marvel actors will join the fold.

mreddie

Quick rundown:
Cap
Tony Stark
Black Widow
Bucky
Falcon
Black Panther
Hawkeye
Zemo
Crossbones

Possibly appearing:
Spider Man
Ant Man
Batroc
Maria Hill
Nick Fury
Sharon Carter

JEEZZZUUUUUSSSSSSS

Wazzy

Banned
No to a thread. We don't need a thread for every little thing about this film. New castings? Sure. Returning cast? No, keep that to this thread.

Quick rundown:
Cap
Tony Stark
Black Widow
Bucky
Falcon
Black Panther
Hawkeye
Zemo
Crossbones

Possibly appearing:
Spider Man
Ant Man
Batroc
Maria Hill
Nick Fury
Sharon Carter

JEEZZZUUUUUSSSSSSS

You forgot War Machine by the way. Also, I don't think this is thread worthy but I'd wait for a better source if someone wants to make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom