• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Zen

Banned
When does he mention it in the film. I have scene it twice. Still it would explain why Bucky was able to hang with Steve longer than most.

Calamari41

41 > 38
When does he mention it in the film. I have scene it twice. Still it would explain why Bucky was able to hang with Steve longer than most.

I can't remember for the life of me, but Zola must have told him, right? Cap never talks to anybody else who would know after his final meeting with Pierce, before the hit goes out on him.

I do clearly remember it being explicitly mentioned, though.

J10

Banned

After he gets caught, just as Maria Hill comes to the rescue. Steve connects the dots.

And the scene in question from The First Avenger where Bucky gets rescued after being experimented on:

Captain%202.jpg

I thought we all saw this coming a mile away.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

After Cap finds out that Winter Soldier is Bucky, he tells Widow and Falcon about Zola experimenting on him when he finds him in the HYDRA POW camp.

Zen

Banned
I guess I assumed being experimented on meant robotic arm and possibly some steroid cocktails; the rest of it was being on an endless cycle of training and missions in between cryo freeze. I thought the super soldier serum could never be replicated properly (hence Abomination in The Incredible Hulk)?

I guess I assumed experimented on meant robotic arm and possibly some steroid cocktails and the rest was being on an endless cycle of training and missions in between cryo freeze. I thought the super soldier serum could never be replicated properly (hence abomination in Hulk 1)?
It probably wasn't necessarily the same super soldier serum, but Cap theorizes the experiments are why he survived the fall so it's definitely pre-cyber parts. Also keep in mind that Red Skull was a product of early super soldier serum experiments and Zola worked with him and would have access to anything he could gleam from examining him as well.

I guess I assumed being experimented on meant robotic arm and possibly some steroid cocktails; the rest of it was being on an endless cycle of training and missions in between cryo freeze. I thought the super soldier serum could never be replicated properly (hence Abomination in The Incredible Hulk)?

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that Banner actually got the serum perfect. But since he didn't know about the whole "good becomes greater, bad becomes worse" thing, he ended up choosing a terrible first test subject.

Blonsky had a different problem, in that the serum was injected into his bones, compromising his skeleton, and was a different version than Banner's. So when the two mixed together, he got an interesting cocktail. Also, along with the "good becomes better, bad becomes worse" thing, Blonsky was waaaaay too driven to beat the Hulk and that feeling just overtook him completely with the influence of the serum.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It absolutely is true. And there are no "sources" more authoritative than Cap's own books, which are reviewed and approved by marvel editorial before they see print.

Even the old handbooks were revised and corrected when information in them conflicted with the actual comics, as the comics take priority.

Cap originally started out with " no powers" as a descriptor back in the 60s, but that was rapidly abandoned. Winter Soldier when assuming the mantle of captain America estimated Rogers was three times as fast and strong as he was. Cable when sparring with Rogers said the same thing, but threw in "triple his endurance" on top of it.

Rogers has taken full shots from those with superhuman strength like namor and spidey without slowing down, and in recent storylines has been literally blown up by gambit at point blank range without a scratch, and carved out a two foot section of flesh from his chest, waded into combat, and healed completely in a matter of days.

Power creep in the MU is definitely a real issue. No one is still at the level they were in the 1960s. Spidey, Thor, Thing, Hulk, and the Xmen are all vastly more powerful, and the super soldier serum and what it's capable of has been similarly upgraded as the years pass.

There is no way anyone has read a cap or Avengers book in the past two decades and still pegs Steve Rogers at the level of an Olympic athlete. It's totally at odds with every modern portrayal of him.

are you sure thor and hulk are MORE powerful? than their 60's versions? Thor may have been toned down ...just some fantastic stuff in his first 10 -15 years. Hulk too, it took like...both the avengers and the FF4 to stop him if he was on a rampage. The xmen are more powerful i guess but to me the most obvious one is spiderman is stronger than before. Or at least more accurately at a real strength level since a spider that size would be beastin shit.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

The machine that shot the vita rays could never be rebuilt. They didnt have plans and built it off memory and mnemonics because of secrecy and fears of being infiltrated by axis powers. Plenty of people have gotten the serum and had an idea on how to make it in the comics, they just never could make the machine. The serum definitely has some effects on people but cap is the only one that will ever get the second half of the process.

J10

Banned
The machine that shot the vita rays could never be rebuilt. They didnt have plans and built it off memory and mnemonics because of secrecy and fears of being infiltrated by axis powers. Plenty of people have gotten the serum and had an idea on how to make it in the comics, they just never could make the machine. The serum definitely has some effects on people but cap is the only one that will ever get the second half of the process.

I assume Bucky's other half of the process involved the Tesseract. That seemed to work out OK for him, as he's not deformed from it or anything.

Zen

Banned
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that Banner actually got the serum perfect. But since he didn't know about the whole "good becomes greater, bad becomes worse" thing, he ended up choosing a terrible first test subject.

Blonsky had a different problem, in that the serum was injected into his bones, compromising his skeleton, and was a different version than Banner's. So when the two mixed together, he got an interesting cocktail. Also, along with the "good becomes better, bad becomes worse" thing, Blonsky was waaaaay too driven to beat the Hulk and that feeling just overtook him completely with the influence of the serum.

This reminds me about how much I choose to not remember from The Incredible Hulk.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I assume Bucky's other half of the process involved the Tesseract. That seemed to work out OK for him, as he's not deformed from it or anything.

well that would be speculation at best , his other half of the process was the cybernetic enhancements and stuff. Both sides lost the tesseract and far as i know it was being used in the weapons divisions to make the bomber / bombs.

J10

Banned
well that would be speculation at best , his other half of the process was the cybernetic enhancements and stuff. Both sides lost the tesseract and far as i know it was being used in the weapons divisions to make the bomber / bombs.

His process began long before the Tesseract was lost, before he lost his arm.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Bucky received the serum in First Avenger, how did he get his ass kicked and thrown off a train?

It may not have fully activated, the serum itself was only half the process. There was also the Vita Rays, which it looks like they didn't have time to get to.

DigitalOp

Banned
Quick question for the Cap fans, I notice you all talking about Caps superhuman abilities.

He can stand alot of punishment. Hell.. he took that 30+ foot drop in the movie thanks to the lovely admantium shield that would destroy anyone daring enough to try....

But as depicted in the movie, he's still very vulnerable to bullets? Obviously, he's blocking shots left and right in the movie and nobody wants to take a bullet just for lols...

But can a regular human straight up merk the Cap with a lucky shot and a 12 gauge?

My guess is he's out but due to super serum he may not be dead persay... Anyone can shed light?

J10

Banned
are you sure they didnt just give him the serum at that point? Capt America did interrupt the work they were doing on him.

No, I'm not sure. Like I said, I assumed the Tesseract would be part of the process, given everything Hydra was doing at the time revolved around it. Gamma rays didn't work for Banner. Vita rays worked for Erskine. Maybe energy from the cube also works.

Quick question for the Cap fans, I notice you all talking about Caps superhuman abilities.

He can stand alot of punishment. Hell.. he took that 30+ foot drop in the movie thanks to the lovely admantium shield that would destroy anyone daring enough to try....

But as depicted in the movie, he's still very vulnerable to bullets? Obviously, he's blocking shots left and right in the movie and nobody wants to take a bullet just for lols...

But can a regular human straight up merk the Cap with a lucky shot and a 12 gauge?

My guess is he's out but due to super serum he may not be dead persay... Anyone can shed light?

He can't dodge bullets at point blank range if that's what you're asking. He's resilient, not invincible. He was shot three times in the gut at the end of Civil War and held on for a minute or two before "dying."

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

oh yeah blow off caps head and he's dead. Otherwise its just like you saw far more resilient to damage and his healing is able to recover from much more.

are you sure thor and hulk are MORE powerful? than their 60's versions?

yup.

Thor may have been toned down ...

nope

comic-pow-thor-got-two-hammers.png

Cap can handle more than a 30 foot drop without the shield. in fact I'm pretty sure that happened at least once in the movie.

In regards to bullets, obviously Cap can be shot, but he's more resilient than the average dude. That costume of his however is a mixture of some kind of S.H.I.E.L.D. created kevlar and chainmail and is mostly bulletproof. He's not covered head to toe in it for fun, that's for protection. On top of that, Movie Cap appeared to be shot several times by Bucky at the end of the movie while in his WW2 outfit which was nowhere NEAR as good, and still sort of made it through in one piece.

So, combine cap being VERY fast, having a shield, a naturally high damage soak, and bulletproof everything and no, a lucky shot and a 12 gauge is not going to take him out.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
yup.

nope

Cap can handle more than a 30 foot drop without the shield. in fact I'm pretty sure that happened at least once in the movie.

In regards to bullets, obviously Cap can be shot, but he's more resilient than the average dude. That costume of his however is a mixture of some kind of S.H.I.E.L.D. created kevlar and chainmail and is mostly bulletproof. He's not covered head to toe in it for fun, that's for protection. On top of that, Movie Cap appeared to be shot several times by Bucky at the end of the movie while in his WW2 outfit which was nowhere NEAR as good, and still sort of made it through in one piece.

So, combine cap being VERY fast, having a shield, a naturally high damage soak, and bulletproof everything and no, a lucky shot and a 12 gauge is not going to take him out.

He also took a Chitauri laser to the gut and survived.

Actually, it was 13 miles in 30 minutes. However, that still puts him at an average sprinting speed of 25 miles per hour and he still wasn't winded at the end.

Totally missed this discussion. My ears perked up at this scene. Keep in mind that

1.) After falcon said "you just ran 13 miles in 30 minutes" cap claims he "must have gotten a late start." The implication being he was off his game somehow.

2.) Cap wasn't winded. He was barely sweating. He even squeezed in another lap to show off.

3.) This wasn't a combat situation or even a serious competition, this was a fun run. 26mph is "leisurely stroll" pace for Rogers. Anyone who has done a half marathon knows that your sprinting pace is going to be dramatically faster than the pace you use to cover
15 miles. Steve could do double that pace in a Sprint, easily.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
yup.

nope

im gonna say hulk is debatable , just maybe there are more examples in the present to near past than there are in the far past, escalation. Like this cover from secret wars was pretty insane at the time.

2363027-2126551_hulk.jpg

the cover read that he was holding up 150billion tons that was 30 or so years ago. Now even if he's done more recently...so whats thats just more its not going to take away from this feat. Sure a writer can top that, its been defined. Hulks core powers are basically the same madder he gets stronger he gets. Sure a writer can say well he's never been THIS mad before...which was probably WWH, but he really didnt have limits before either.

and ill just take one of thor's nigh inumerable bullshit powers since his book came out ...i mean really mjolnir can make anti matter particles when it spins....fuck you Thor...

Hero-Envy-Silver-Surfer-vs-Thor-9d.jpg

Thats surfer saying thors packin more heat than the power cosmic he wields. Thor was already boss mode...i wont even post the time travel panels...wtf ..

Log4Girlz

I like to pretend the serum turned Cap's blood into a sheer thickening fluid that under high pressures instantly harden like steel, making him bullet resistant. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I thought he was working in Russia, cuz Black Widow inferred. And then later, she gave a file that looks like its KGB file to Steve.

maybe i made too-convenient a jump with my head, though. haha

J10

Banned
I thought he was working in Russia, cuz Black Widow inferred. And then later, she gave a file that looks like its KGB file to Steve.

maybe i made too-convenient a jump with my head, though. haha

In the books he worked for Russians. In WWII there was a soldier named Karpov who fought alongside Cap against HYDRA and the Nazi's. They lost a village when the Red Skull boobytrapped a left behind super weapon. Cap chastized Karpov for acting too hasty in setting off the weapon. Karpov lamented that he was desperate to retrieve the weapon because he wanted an upper hand. The Germans had supers, the Americans had supers, but all Russia had to it's advantage was the winter. Karpov, incidentally, was the guy who later found Bucky dead, brought him back to life, brainwashed him, enhanced him, etc. Hence the name Winter Soldier. Russia finally had a super.

Movie made him an invention of HYDRA. They could bring it back around to the Russians in a sequel I guess.

In the books he worked for Russians. In WWII there was a soldier named Karpov who fought alongside Cap against HYDRA and the Nazi's. They lost a village when the Red Skull boobytrapped a left behind super weapon. Cap chastized Karpov for acting too hasty in setting off the weapon. Karpov lamented that he was desperate to retrieve the weapon because he wanted an upper hand. The Germans had supers, the Americans had supers, but all Russia had to it's advantage was the winter. Karpov, incidentally, was the guy who later found Bucky dead, brought him back to life, brainwashed him, enhanced him, etc. Hence the name Winter Soldier. Russia finally had a super.

Movie made him an invention of HYDRA. They could bring it back around to the Russians in a sequel I guess.

Aaah, i see. That's very interesting.

Yeah, yeah, i think you're right. They can delve into his backstory deeper if they bring him back in future movies, and explain the origin of his name better.

It's a cool moniker, i have to say

Top Bottom