• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
2- COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION, how come the rest of the avengers did not do anything?
3- I know this is Cap´s film but when the stake are so high and no other avenger show up, it ruins the illusion that these movies are in the same universe.

This is dumb as hell...by this logic, every comic book should feature every hero associated with the main character all the time, not to mention the movie had 2 other Avengers in it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
3- I know this is Cap´s film but when the stake are so high and no other avenger show up, it ruins the illusion that these movies are in the same universe.

Like i said, as an individual movie, it was good. But as a part of a bigger universe it sucked. I could not help feeling when i was watching the movie that the plot of COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION was to big for Cap America movie without other avengers show up, since they are in the same universe. Not that Cap can´t save the world but as the other avengers would have known about the situation especially Stark.

Cap and Widow were being hunted by SHIELD and their every move was being watched by them. They couldn't call on Stark because that would immediately alert SHIELD to their presence and would put their lives and Stark's in danger. That's why they went to Falcon for help. He was off SHIELD's radar.

Timbuktu

Cap and Widow were being hunted by SHIELD and their every move was being watched by them. They couldn't call on Stark because that would immediately alert SHIELD to their presence and would put their lives and Stark's in danger. That's why they went to Falcon for help. He was off SHIELD's radar.

Didn't Stark
blow up all his suits at the end of IM 3
which I assume came before this story? And I don't think the Cap trust Stark at all. The only thing I wish they could do is just give a passing mention to Hawkeye, given how important he apparently was to Black Widow.

1. This movie takes place a year after Avengers. It's not inconceivable that the world's most top secret organization would be able to scrub their system during that time to get rid of Tony Stark's access to it.
2. It wasn't global... yet. The first set of targets were only in New York.
3. I don't think any of the other Avengers knew about it because it was mainly undercover stuff for most of the movie until the helicarriers... and even then the helicarriers weren't something to be immediately worried about until the final battle, which was over in minutes. If they weren't actually in New York at the time (possible) they might not have had time to notice and get over there in time.
Yeah let´s take out the fact that Stark does not trust Shield which is already established. Tony Stark hacked their system in minutes, however he somehow could not find out a secret that was hidden for decades.
It´s a fact that the avengers universe is interconnected with each other and all of this to go under without Shield or anyone else contacted the others is illusion breaking for the universe.
New York, the place where Tony live and did not notice, and they wanted to go global.
This is dumb as hell...by this logic, every comic book should feature every hero associated with the main character all the time, not to mention the movie had 2 other Avengers in it.
Your logic is stupid. It´s a fact that the avengers universe is interconnected with each other and all of this to go under without Shield or anyone else contacted the others is illusion breaking for the universe.

Stark was in danger by default since Hydra took over. They said so themselves. And how can Stark not notice anything happening in his own city? All i am saying is that these kind of things break the illusion of interconnected universe.

Sorry but as I've said before, if I'm reading a Captain America book or going to see a Captain America movie, the last thing I want is for him to just call up Iron Man or The Hulk to save the day.

The story being told is a Captain America story and it undermines the characters in his world to keep bringing in other heroes. The movie presented some pretty valid reasons for why he couldn't just call Tony, without having to beat it over peoples' heads. Hopefully that doesn't become necessary because it's a non-starter. The filmmakers should be able to expect some suspension of disbelief in order to tell the story they want to tell.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp for some people. If you really think about the details, timelines, and geography of any of the Phase 2 plots, they go out of their way to make it plausible none of the other Avengers are going to show up.

Yeah let´s take out the fact that Stark does not trust Shield which is already established. Tony Stark hacked their system in minutes, however he somehow could not find out a secret that was hidden for decades.
It´s a fact that the avengers universe is interconnected with each other and all of this to go under without Shield or anyone else contacted the others is illusion breaking for the universe.
Are you talking about the fact that Hydra was embedded in SHIELD? Why would that data be on SHIELD's servers? If it was, why would Stark be able to access that while Nick Fury, the highest ranking SHIELD agent, would be unaware of it?

New York, the place where Tony live and did not notice, and they wanted to go global.
Pretty sure they're in DC, not NY.

Your logic is stupid. It´s a fact that the avengers universe is interconnected with each other and all of this to go under without Shield or anyone else contacted the others is illusion breaking for the universe.
The non-Hydra SHIELD agents aren't even aware of Hydra's takeover until the ships are right about to launch. Not exactly enough time to call anyone let alone have them respond. Also who are they going to call? The Hulk who half the time is off the grid? Tony Stark who blew up all his suits? Do you think they have a direct line to Asgard that they can call Thor with?

Stark was in danger by default since Hydra took over. They said so themselves. And how can Stark not notice anything happening in his own city? All i am saying is that these kind of things break the illusion of interconnected universe.
See above.

jmood88

It's pretty amazing to me that there are people who basically need Basil Exposition to come in and list each Avenger, what they are doing at that moment, and why they can't come help.

^

Yeah he was targeted at the end. The whole threat thing lasted only a few minutes though, so it's plausible at that time that Iron Man couldn't / didn't respond in time.

I think it'd be a valid complaint if we were at the point where Avengers Mansion was up and running and these guys were all living under the same roof.

But that's not the case and I dunno if Marvel will ever establish that in the movies. Stark was hours away from DC at the time and the amount of time between HYDRA revealing itself within SHIELDS ranks and the 3 helicarriers going down was pretty brief.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Do some of you guys show up to crime scenes in progress and heckle the lone beat cop on the scene, asking "lol, where are the rest of the cops? This is totally unrealistic!" You can't expect Tony Stark to go from lounging on a sofa in New York without any suits to all up in the DC Helicarrier's grill, or London, in the fifteen minutes that the threats are known and active. It is much more reasonable to assume that he didn't even know what was happening until the threat was over, rather than having him show up immediately to the scene suited up and ready to go. Remember, all of the climactic action in this movie took place during the time it took the Helicarriers to reach altitude. And no news report would have any idea that they were "bad" Helicarriers, and wouldn't have known until they started firing all over the Eastern Seaboard. The first moment that Tony Stark would know something was wrong, if he happened to be watching the news at the time, would be when the carriers started firing on someone who was flying around them. And even then, he would assume that the guy flying around was the threat, and that SHIELD could handle it.

It's an even worse complaint with Thor 2. How unrealistic would it be for any Avenger at all to show up halfway around the world in the fifteen minutes that the elves were active? Shit, it would be unrealistic for local news crews to make it to the scene in that amount of time. It would have made for a funny extra scene, having Stark and Banner show up ready for action while cleaning crews were sorting the debris, but that's it.

Find a better complaint.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I can't even imagine how unsatisfying it would be if the Hulk showed up in the last five minutes of every movie without explaination and just punched the bad guy right before the credits roll. These solo movies have GOT to be about the solo characters. If you want to see them all teamed up, then that's what the Avengers are for.

inky

LOL it reminds me of that guy trashing The Avengers because he claimed he couldn't care about things because "they never made it clear which city those aliens were invading", so it just looked like "generic movie city" to him.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey bro

looking for plotholes might be a bit out of your league when you didn't even notice which city the film took place in.

To be fair, sir, it's not like they constantly put the name of the city on the screen or showed the city's landmarks, including the Washington Monument prominently in the very first scene.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
LOL it reminds me of that guy trashing The Avengers because he claimed he couldn't care about things because "they never made it clear which city those aliens were invading", so it just looked like "generic movie city" to him.

To be fair, sir, it's not like they constantly put the name of the city on the screen or showed the city's landmarks, including the Washington Monument prominently in the very first scene.

#DEAD

To be fair, a lot of people prefer to nitpick than enjoy.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

why would hacking a Shield computer/database demand that Stark find out about something that isn't SHIELD. Hydra infiltrated SHIELD, ...who in their right mind would leave record...of their infiltration?

why would hacking a Shield computer/database demand that Stark find out about something that isn't SHIELD. Hydra infiltrated SHIELD, ...who in their right mind would leave record...of their infiltration?

On top of that, HYDRA's historical involvement in SHIELD is somewhat of an open secret. SHIELD recruited HYDRA scientists like Zola in the post WW2 time period for their expertise. Any references to them would be brushed off as obvious, though possibily politically inconvenient.

What WASN'T known was the hidden agenda of this group or the extent to which they continued to recruit
And proliferate. And that's not something that's just going to be Laying around in a password protected file.

Even fury couldn't get access to the information he suspected was there, which is why he staged a hijacking to have Widow steal it. And even then that data was protected by a self aware AI program that shifted encryption on the fly, designed by Zola himself to keep peoples hands off of it.

Expecting Tony to hack random low level shield computers is one thing, expecting him to try to break into HYDRAs inner circle and out hack Zola (who he doesn't know exists) is a completely different issue.

Give it up, that's not a plot hole.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
On top of that, HYDRA's historical involvement in SHIELD is somewhat of an open secret. SHIELD recruited HYDRA scientists like Zola in the post WW2 time period for their expertise. Any references to them would be brushed off as obvious, though possibily politically inconvenient.

What WASN'T known was the hidden agenda of this group or the extent to which they continued to recruit
And proliferate. And that's not something that's just going to be Laying around in a password protected file.

Even fury couldn't get access to the information he suspected was there, which is why he staged a hijacking to have Widow steal it. And even then that data was protected by a self aware AI program that shifted encryption on the fly, designed by Zola himself to keep peoples hands off of it.

Expecting Tony to hack random low level shield computers is one thing, expecting him to try to break into HYDRAs inner circle and out hack Zola (who he doesn't know exists) is a completely different issue.

Give it up, that's not a plot hole.

Heil Hydra~!

The movie just opened here in Japan today, so I hauled ass to the theaters with my friends. FINALLY.

FUCKING. AWESOME!

It totally lived up to the GAF/world hype. Winter Soldier was great, and while he didn't have a ton of screen time, I think it was all well spent. I approve of them not trying to finish his story in one film, as that'd be completely ridiculous.

The action was very, very strong, and the Falcon is a cool addition to the cast.

I'm just really, really impressed. Probably my favorite solo film in the MCU.

DarkFlow

Banned
I fell asleep during Coraline and Cidade de Deus and a few others, but because I went late and I was fucking tired :p

The first is a cute movie and the second is a fucking masterpiece, but this is the internet so what that really means is both sucked and are overrated and I literally can't believe anyone liked them.
I feel asleep once, during Hostile. I was realllllly tired, I think I'd been awake for like 30 hours at that point, but this hot girl wanted me to go.

Forkball

I finally saw it. It was much better than the first film (not hard to do).

+ The whole HYDRA IS EVERYWHERE angle was done quite well. I really liked the intensity in the elevator scene, and it was a nice curveball when the less threatening suits walked on.
+The action scenes were good, I quite liked Fury's super SUV and I'm e-mailing Toyota tomorrow about how I can get my own. Winter Soldier was built up well as a threatening force during the fight scenes. They could take a break from fighting on the highway though.
+Falcon was a likeable guy and I think they could make him a prominent side character in upcoming films. It's good that they can introduce a very minor hero and make him a notable highlight.

-ScarJo sounded so bored most of the time. Your hotness can only get you so far!
-I really don't like the whole "good ol' days" rhetoric Cap spews. Think of the Fury story about how people used to be nice and then he resorted to carrying a gun around. Yeah, the 40s sure were nice times with massive wars, segregation, and a life expectancy of 60.
-Cap got a man fired, some "hero."

Does anyone recall what was written in Cap's notebook when he wrote down to listen to Trouble Man in the beginning? His things to catch up on list.

I saw Nirvana at the bottom, but on the top I saw
"2002 World Cup"
"Oldboy"
And I think "Park Ji Sung"

These are all Korea-centric things so I assume that the list is different for other markets. I'm curious what it said in the American/European versions.

Does anyone recall what was written in Cap's notebook when he wrote down to listen to Trouble Man in the beginning? His things to catch up on list.

"2002 World Cup"
"Oldboy"

These are all Korea-centric things so I assume that the list is different for other markets. I'm curious what it said in the American/European versions.

Was different in each market.

USA had Berlin Wall (up and down), star wars/star trek. That's all I can remember :(

"2002 World Cup"
"Oldboy"

I saw the movie in Korea last week when I was on vacation there, saw that exact same list. It's pretty neat that the list is different for each country.

Also, almost everyone in the audience laughed during the scene when Falcon said he's coming along with Cap and BW. I bet the Korean subtitles must have been something clever, since I didn't find it to be that funny.

Was different in each market.

USA had Berlin Wall (up and down), star wars/star trek. That's all I can remember :(
Ah, cool.

I saw the movie in Korea last week when I was on vacation there, saw that exact same list. It's pretty neat that the list is different for each country.

Also, almost everyone in the audience laughed during the scene when Falcon said he's coming along with Cap and BW. I bet the Korean subtitles must have been something clever, since I didn't find it to be that funny.
Hmmm, I don't actually remember that part. I usually read the Korean subs in theaters even though I understand English. Usually the subs completely gloss over or omit the subtler humor in action movies. The only laugh in my screening was at Stan Lee's cameo.

There were some weird alignment problems with the subs too. Sometimes they were all the way aligned to the left side of the screen in a really awkward way. Also, the French pirates' dialogue was subtitled both in English and Korean. I don't think I've seen that done before.

Dai101

Banned
-I really don't like the whole "good ol' days" rhetoric Cap spews. Think of the Fury story about how people used to be nice and then he resorted to carrying a gun around. Yeah, the 40s sure were nice times with massive wars, segregation, and a life expectancy of 60.

Except that never happened? Cap is a idealist and will ever do the right thing, but not because the "good ol' days". He even addresed how better things are in general, no polio, better food and even praises the internet.

RS4-

Rocky (Rocky II?) was also on his list.

Anyway, enjoyed the movie. Right up there with IM1 in terms of best MCU films.

They beat Xmen to the punch with metal wings archangel and cable.

Dai101

Banned
For those recently arrived to this thread:

ofornKv.jpg

There's a imgur gallery with almost all the lists, if somebody has it please post.

Dram

Sorian

Banned
The Fury story was about trust. His grandpa loved people, but carried a gun around because he didn't trust them. That wasn't meant to be a "good ol days" story.

Well back in the good ol' days you only needed to carry a .22 for protection, these days you need a bulletproof SUV outfitted with a rail gun.

JustinBB7

Just watched it, really liked it. Destruction of shield and the ships was pretty awesome.

Wish Marvel would space out the movies a bit though (I know they're like 3 way owned) but before the movies I got 4 previews, 3 were Marvel movies lol. (X-Men, Spider-Man, GOTG) Last one was Godzilla.

Branduil

For those recently arrived to this thread:

ofornKv.jpg

There's a imgur gallery with almost all the lists, if somebody has it please post.

They actually changed it based on the country? That's pretty silly. Why the heck would Captain America care about some random World Cups or the first Mexican astronaut?

Sorian

Banned
Just watched it, really liked it. Destruction of shield and the ships was pretty awesome.

Wish Marvel would space out the movies a bit though (I know they're like 3 way owned) but before the movies I got 4 previews, 3 were Marvel movies lol. (X-Men, Spider-Man, GOTG) Last one was Godzilla.

Marvel is making one of those movies that you listed. The other two are being made because if they aren't then sony and fox lose the rights to those characters in movies and like a child with a toy that they shouldn't have, they are unwilling to just let it go.

Marvel is making one of those movies that you listed. The other two are being made because if they aren't then sony and fox lose the rights to those characters in movies and like a child with a toy that they shouldn't have, they are unwilling to just let it go.

Well outside of Fantastic Four, both Sony and Fox make money on the properties they own.

They actually changed it based on the country? That's pretty silly. Why the heck would Captain America care about some random World Cups or the first Mexican astronaut?

Well, while Cap is indeed from 'Murica, he has been always very respectful of the rest of world and other cultures, probably very knowledgeable about the rest of the world too since he has studied and mastered many fighting skills from around the world and I guess many languages too (French for sure), nothing wrong with him wanted to learn all the important things that happened while he was out including those important things that happened outside America.

Sorian

Banned
Well outside of Fantastic Four, both Sony and Fox make money on the properties they own.

Yes and the child has fun with the toy he is playing with but that doesnt mean everyone else doesn't think he is a prick since the toy really belongs to someone else.

/longwindedanalogy

Branduil

Well, while Cap is indeed from 'Murica, he has been always very respectful of the rest of world and other cultures, probably very knowledgeable about the rest of the world too since he has studied and mastered many fighting skills from around the world and I guess many languages too (French for sure), nothing wrong with him wanted to learn all the important things that happened while he was out including those important things that happened outside America.

Sure but even so he wouldn't just have a list mentioning things from only one specific country(that is not America).

By removing the internal logic of the list it changes the joke from "LOL look at the cultural backlog Captain America has built up" to "LOL references so meta."

injurai

Banned

His making notes of things that others find meaningful or worth checking out. He has no reference to what he might or could care about.

Branduil

His making notes of things that others find meaningful or worth checking out. He has no reference to what he might or could care about.

So he just happened to only meet people who immigrated to America from a specific country? I think it's easier if we just admit it's a "LOL references so meta" joke and adding those references came before plot logic when they changed them for localization.

Sure but even so he wouldn't just have a list mentioning things from only one specific country(that is not America).

By removing the internal logic of the list it changes the joke from "LOL look at the cultural backlog Captain America has built up" to "LOL references so meta."

None of those lists are filled from things specific to one country

Top Bottom