• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Yes and the child has fun with the toy he is playing with but that doesnt mean everyone else doesn't think he is a prick since the toy really belongs to someone else.

/longwindedanalogy

As long as the movies are good, then it's just whining on the part of "everyone else" in your analogy. It can be argued we wouldn't even be getting Marvel movies if Fox and Sony hadn't done big numbers with X-Men and Spiderman. And we definitely wouldn't be getting lesser known characters in movies if Marvel still had Fantastic Four, Spiderman, and X-men movie properties.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind at all if the IP's returned to Marvel but it's pretty pointless complaining about Fox and Sony when, for the most part, they're holding on to the stuff they're making work and letting the other stuff revert back.

The one thing that really bothered me about this movie is Zola spreading the Hydra message in SHIELD. You would think an intelligence agency would be a bit more reilient to the whisperings of its captive. Didn't make much sense.

injurai

Banned
So he just happened to only meet people who immigrated to America from a specific country? I think it's easier if we just admit it's a "LOL references so meta" joke and adding those references came before plot logic when they changed them for localization.

it's called localisation, so you know the viewers can selfidentify

Sorian

Banned
As long as the movies are good, then it's just whining on the part of "everyone else" in your analogy. It can be argued we wouldn't even be getting Marvel movies if Fox and Sony hadn't done big numbers with X-Men and Spiderman. And we definitely wouldn't be getting lesser known characters in movies if Marvel still had Fantastic Four, Spiderman, and X-men movie properties.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind at all if the IP's returned to Marvel but it's pretty pointless complaining about Fox and Sony when, for the most part, they're holding on to the stuff they're making work and letting the other stuff revert back.

Great spiderman and x-men got big numbers once. Now spider-man is a reboot and run with it until its time for a new reboot and x-men is being milked as hard as possible. I'd rather both be availiable for the MCU and I don't think i'd be hard-pressed to find people who agree with me.

Dram

I think it's too late for the X-Men to become a part of the Cinematic Universe. You would have to change too much and explain why mutants haven't been seen or mentioned in the background.

Sorian

Banned
I think it's too late for the X-Men to become a part of the Cinematic Universe. You would have to change too much and explain why mutants haven't been seen or mentioned in the background.

Once SW and QS are explained more in Avengers 2, yeah, no way to add it in.

Great spiderman and x-men got big numbers once. Now spider-man is a reboot and run with it until its time for a new reboot and x-men is being milked as hard as possible. I'd rather both be availiable for the MCU and I don't think i'd be hard-pressed to find people who agree with me.

Reboots and Recasts are the nature of Hollywood and not just Fox and Sony. We've already seen 1 Hulk rebbot and 3 Bruce Banners. In addition it's likely we'll end up seeing multiple Steve Rogers, Tony Starks, etc...

Minion101

Banned

I'm sure a writer could do it. But I think competition is probably better for the quality of the movies.

Is Fox finally giving their directors more time to finish the X-men movies? I know Singer and Matthew Vaughn have complained about it.

Sorian

Banned
Reboots and Recasts are the nature of Hollywood and not just Fox and Sony. We've already seen 1 Hulk rebbot and 3 Bruce Banners. In addition it's likely we'll end up seeing multiple Steve Rogers, Tony Starks, etc...

Possibly or we could be seeing clever "recasts" like the theory that Bucky will be taking up the shield once Chris Evans is through. Bringing up Hulk 2003 is pointless in all of this though, everyone knows that was a failure of a movie and has nothing to do with the MCU these days, I highly doubt we will be seeing a reboot of this entire universe anytime soon.

Possibly or we could be seeing clever "recasts" like the theory that Bucky will be taking up the shield once Chris Evans is through. Bringing up Hulk 2003 is pointless in all of this though, everyone knows that was a failure of a movie and has nothing to do with the MCU these days, I highly doubt we will be seeing a reboot of this entire universe anytime soon.
Feige has said they're planning on James Bond-ing it, hasn't he?

inm8num2

They even got our moisturizing cream.

WcIHPPB.jpg

Laekon

Does 3D add anything to this movie? I'm not a big fan of the first movie but all the good reviews make me want to go see this.

Does 3D add anything to this movie? I'm not a big fan of the first movie but all the good reviews make me want to go see this.

3D was mostly useless. And I don't know if it was just my screen, but some of the early scenes are way too dark and the motion is all fucked.

JustinBB7

What are the chances of Spider-Man actually getting into the Avengers? Sony will never give in right?

Also replacing RDJ as Tony.. I don't think that could work, he just IS Tony Stark. It would never be the same. At least not to me.

Bucky becoming Cap seems possible, I heard he is signed for 9 movies and that Evans wants to quit acting and be a director or something. If they wanna fill those 9 movies he kinda has to become Cap.

3D was mostly useless. And I don't know if it was just my screen, but some of the early scenes are way too dark and the motion is all fucked.

This was the first time I went to the theaters in a while (last time was Iron Man 2) and this was the first time I watched a movie with theater 3D. Felt pretty shit, would have been much better without it, it doesn't add anything and just makes the movie all blurry. Wish it was just 2D.

Minion101

Banned
What are the chances of Spider-Man actually getting into the Avengers? Sony will never give in right?

Also replacing RDJ as Tony.. I don't think that could work, he just IS Tony Stark. It would never be the same. At least not to me.

Bucky becoming Cap seems possible, I heard he is signed for 9 movies and that Evans wants to quit acting and be a director or something. If they wanna fill those 9 movies he kinda has to become Cap.

This was the first time I went to the theaters in a while (last time was Iron Man 2) and this was the first time I watched a movie with theater 3D. Felt pretty shit, would have been much better without it, it doesn't add anything and just makes the movie all blurry. Wish it was just 2D.

"The Amazing Spiderman" was created solely to retain the rights. If Marvel wants it back they'll need to pry it from Sony's cold dead hands

Dai101

Banned

Extremely low, almost imposible. Then again sony pics. is in the gutter and outside of that franchise they got shit. Also, is not the first time they negotiate, afar back they give MAHVEL the TV rights and also merchandise rigths for S-M.

strobogo

Banned

He didn't say that. It has also been discussed multiple times in this thread and the other thread. He said he'd like to try directing some once he's done being Cap. Nothing about wanting to quit acting.

Sorian

Banned
If sony pictures goes under then what happens to the Spiderman rights?

If they just suddenly died? I'd assume spiderman goes back to marvel after waiting for the period to end with no movie being made. (I forget what everyone's time schedule is to keep the rights).

There won't be a reboot but there's likely going to be actors getting replaced. And when you look at actors like Sam Jackson and RDJ, at a certain point age will become a factor.. for others they may tire of playing the same role for years and choose not to renew their contract. It's extremely rare that actors stick around for one character over the course of 10+ years. Especially when you consider that the nature of the MCU means that a lot of these actors won't be getting much time off between starring roles and guest starring roles with all of the IP's they're launching.

Sony won't let Spiderman go as long as it's profitable. Whether or not a new actor could be as good as RDJ remains to be seen but if RDJ decides to take a break or retire, they'll have no choice but to recast the character if they plan on keeping the character around.

We could definitely see Bucky filling the Cap position in the future but it would only be temporary I think, and the rumors about Evans were overblown.

Gorillaz

If they just suddenly died? I'd assume spiderman goes back to marvel after waiting for the period to end with no movie being made. (I forget what everyone's time schedule is to keep the rights).

I think it was 4-5 years without a movie being made makes the rights fall back to Marvel

has anyone posted this yet?
fe4.gif

I saw this movie a few weeks ago, and all i kept thinking about in that opening scene was "BOY this feels like Metal Gear Solid!" The entire movie to me at least had that feel of Metal Gear and I really liked that. The Movie as a whole was great, I wanted more Falcon scenes because hes awesome, hopefully Maybe we'll see him in Avengers 2 or 3?

strobogo

Banned
The whole movie felt like all of the MGS games rolled into one, non-confusing story. It was dope. Even the music seemed like it was right out of PW/MGS4/GZ.

GhaleonEB

Enjoyed this one a great deal. In particular, how they kept The Winter Soldier in the background for the first half of the film, and even then only used him relatively sparingly. The build up to and the duration of the first fight with him and the Cap was remarkably intense. Dude was a wreaking ball. It's the first Marvel film where the action had some serious impact and I felt a real sense of fear.

I had the Bucky twist spoiled for me two years ago by a GAFer in an offhand comment, but it was fun to hear the collective gasp of the audience regardless.

Some of the action bloated. The fist fight with Falcon and the other dude as the carriers went down was needless, there just to give him something to do. At that point I was weary of fist fights and the stakes were rock bottom; should have been cut.

I was surprised at the high body count; it was a bit much for my nine year old but needed to make the Winter Solder himself so effective. I found him genuinely frightening.

Enjoyed this one a great deal. In particular, how they kept The Winter Soldier in the background for the first half of the film, and even then only used him relatively sparingly. The build up to and the duration of the first fight with him and the Cap was remarkably intense. Dude was a wreaking ball. It's the first Marvel film where the action had some serious impact and I felt a real sense of fear.

I had the Bucky twist spoiled for me two years ago by a GAFer in an offhand comment, but it was fun to hear the collective gasp of the audience regardless.

Some of the action bloated. The fist fight with Falcon and the other dude as the carriers went down was needless, there just to give him something to do. At that point I was weary of fist fights and the stakes were rock bottom; should have been cut.

The body count was remarkable; it was a bit much for my nine year old but needed to make the Winter Solder himself so effective. I found him genuinely frightening.
People really gasped?

I feel like that is the most untwisted "twist" in the whole movie. I don't see how anyone could see it as a surprise, even if you had never seen the first movie.

J10

Banned

Rumlow was on his way up to Fury, Widow, and Pierce. Falcon had to slow him down.

GhaleonEB

People really gasped?

I feel like that is the most untwisted "twist" in the whole movie. I don't see how anyone could see it as a surprise, even if you had never seen the first movie.

Yeah. It's hard for me to know how I would have responded had I not known, but all the Bucky material pre-reveal combined with keeping the Soldier's face hidden was less than subtle. But I heard gasps, I tell ya.

lol Shakira

Yo.. Mexico loves Shakira. Hell half the world loves Shakira.

Yeah. It's hard for me to know how I would have responded had I not known, but all the Bucky material pre-reveal combined with keeping the Soldier's face hidden was less than subtle. But I heard gasps, I tell ya.

Average viewers don't actively pay attention to clues. That's one thing that I've taken away from the last couple of years. I mean stuff that's right there in your face often gets overlooked by a surprising amount of people.

- J - D -

People really gasped?

Yeah man. Both viewings I went to the audience gasped at the Bucky reveal. It was fun and oddly gratifying experience.

There was an elderly couple sitting next to my group and I heard the lady say "oh my!" when it happened.

Made me smile.

Minion101

Banned
My friend told me about Bucky 30 mins before the movie started. When the reveal happened the audience gasps and my friend goes "told you". Idiot.

People really gasped?

People gasped at my theater too (and in all 3 times I went). There was a thread on /co/ last week or so on reactions and the reveal ranged from gasps, people saying/asking "Is that is friend" to even a sad, "Ah man, that's his homie".

Basically the majority of people, even of those who simply watch the MCU rather than the comics did not have a clue.

Not at all. Not to spoil anything, but if you know the comics, there's another twist yet to come from that scene. It matters to the overall plot.

Replicant

Someone at my 1st screening went "No way!". Some people at my 2nd screening were gasping when he was revealed.

In some ways, I wish I was them. It must be a nice surprise to not know about it until the reveal.

zerosum

People really gasped?

Yep, gasps here as well. Very audible.

What I noticed though, and commented on after the movie, was that even though I knew what was up when they announced the title... the way they shot the reveal in the movie, I felt that I saw it more from Cap's eyes than my own, so it still carried some weight for me. They handled that really well I thought.

GhaleonEB

Not at all. Not to spoil anything, but if you know the comics, there's another twist yet to come from that scene. It matters to the overall plot.

That doesn't really alter how I feel about the scene. It was yet another fist fight, and it disrupted the pacing of the film during the climax. Regardless if they pay it off in another film, in the context of this movie it felt like they were just giving Falcon something to do and then setting him up for for the helicopter catch because excitement. Having an impact on the plot down the road doesn't make it automatically fit in well with the climax of the film.

zma1013

I'm mostly shocked that general audiences could even tell it was Bucky since he had a different haircut.

For some reason i couldnt tell who the guy was in any appearance hes made in either films. Everytime he comes on screen i ask "whos that guy?" Hes got a very forgettable face to me i guess. At least now hes got a metal arm so ill never be confused again.

I just saw Cap 2 with my wife... wow, great movie. I liked the first Captain America movie and it's confused me why so much of GAF hates it, even though it reviewed well and did well at the box office. I just assumed that GAF just disliked Captain America but I guess this thread proves me wrong.

I was not expecting the darker tone but still enjoyed. I thought it was a good mix of action and conspiracy to keep things interesting; I particularly liked the Zola reveal. I always thought it was interesting they used him in the original without his robot body, it didn't occur to me at all that they'd bring him back this way. It was a good twist and kept things moving, nothing like a villain to pop up and explain things a bit before getting blown up.

My wife doesn't follow comics at all, beyond what I bore her with occasionally, so when they revealed Bucky she yelled out "oh no!" So for anyone who doesn't know who WS is ahead of time it'll probably surprise them.

My only complaint was the overuse of the shaky cam in a lot of the fights. The choreography in the first real Cap vs. WS fight was really good but they kind of ruined it with too much shaky cam IMO. The later fights were better and less shaky at least.

I was just at Disneyland, you can line up to take pictures with Captain America in Tomorrowland and the waiting area is a partial replica of the Smithsonian exhibit from the movie. It doesn't have the Howling Commandos part but a few of the other bits look to be exactly the same. It also has a pretty cool exhibit of Iron Man armors.

I was surprised at the high body count; it was a bit much for my nine year old but needed to make the Winter Solder himself so effective. I found him genuinely frightening.
I'm curious, how do you determine which movies your kids are allowed to see?

Top Bottom