• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

Hugstable

Banned
So excited for this game to finally come out, got the whole coming friday and weekend set aside to go into this game. Toad finally gets the love he deserves! Glad to see such amazing scores for this game too. Hype Intensifies!

Actually, Toad has been the star of a game in the past, in the often forgotten Wario's Woods.

ww.gif

Yeah I think I am going to cancel my pre-order and pick up some more eShop cards for it today. It is really dumb you have to call to be able to cancel.
I thought this game might have pre-loading...

Cranzor

I don't think price should be factored into a review. Value is different to everyone, so a reviewer saying it's not worth the money may be very true to some and completely false to others, depending on how much money one has to spare. It ends up being a statement spread so thin to the point in which it's not very useful.

That being said, the idea that the reviewer shouldn't complain about value because the title is already priced cheaper than other games is ridiculous. Why does price have to be so binary? Are all games a steal if they are not the default retail price of $60? Prices are so varied nowadays. With things like Steam sales on a regular basis, I bet there are people on this forum who haven't bought a game for $40 or more in years. Like I said earlier, price means different things to different people.

I wish the price wasn't included in the review in the first place, but I can't disagree with someone's subjective opinion of value.

moggio

Banned
For all the grumps whinging about the price, you're in luck: Nintendo games tend to hold their value so you will be able to re-sell it and get most of your money back!

AdanVC

Excellent reviews all around! Can't freaking wait to get my copy on friday. Wii U has been on fire lately releasing top quality titles, like, for real! Too bad there's some people out there complaining about the price... $40 is a perfect price for a game like this considering the amount of playtime and content it offers IMO. I see this game winning some Puzzle of the Year awards here and there :)

Will read some reviews in a moment but does someone know how's the soundtrack in this game?? Catchy songs and good remixes as as the ones on 3D World??? I got so hooked to SM3DWs soundtrack that I pretty much listen it on a daily basis!

I don't think price should be factored into a review. Value is different to everyone, so a reviewer saying it's not worth the money may be very true to some and completely false to others, depending on how much money one has to spare. It ends up being a statement spread so thin to the point in which it's not very useful.
The same thing could be said of an entire review. It's wholly subjective. What makes for a "good" or "enjoyable" game is going to differ from person to person as well. Perhaps they will not greatly differ, but perception of quality is subjective just like perception of value.

WonderzL

Banned
Guys, there are other games on PS4/XB1/PC than just Assassin's Creed or that are developed by Ubisoft.

Exactly. Either way, people should talk about the game here, not bring console wars to the table. Anyway, about the price: I do think it might be too expensive. NSLU was a 20 dollars DLC, you should all remember. 30 dollars would probably the best price for Captain Toad, but I'm waiting to find it myself. I myself can't wait to play it, suuper hyped.

samn

10+ hours for $40 is lacking? Sounds like you are not away that shorter games than that go for $60, and just 20 years ago we were paying more than that for games that were less than 1 hour long.

Those shorter games often have better replay value than puzzle games, and have multiple difficulty levels.

I don't care what people paid for 20 years ago. This is 2014. There are a lot of products competing for my money.

Okay, don't factor price into the review. Only consider the low content and length/replayability, which totally isn't the same thing. lol
Oh wait, just don't mention any negatives, so the people that would have bought it anyway are satisfied.

TI82

Banned
The glitches sure. The DLC of course. But the price? That never even crossed their minds.

I'm sure at least one person out there said "I paid 60 dollars for this shit?"

Okay, don't factor price into the review. Only consider the low content and length, which totally isn't the same thing. lol
Oh wait, just don't mention any negatives, so the people that would have bought it anyway are satisfied.

Careful, NDF gonna try and getcha

BBboy20

Come on Captain Toad, let's go on an adventure! We'll have wonderful time and lifelong memories, and at the end of it all we'll discover a whole world out there!
I'MAKIDAGAIN

So excited for this game to finally come out, got the whole coming friday and weekend set aside to go into this game. Toad finally gets the love he deserves! Glad to see such amazing scores for this game too. Hype Intensifies!
I KNOW, RIGHT!?

This thing is $40, will probably be sold here for $80.

I'd never pick this up.

However i'm glad it reviewed okay, seems interesting enough.

Well for $30 I would buy it without question, but $40 is just enough to give me pause.

I can't be the only one who will feel this way.

BraXzy

Okay so this is really weird. When I read this thread on my phone, I went on Amazon to check the price. It was listed at £25.

I went on my PC and signed in to check if I had it preordered.. I do. But it is listed at £29.99. Kinda weird since it should re-adjust to £25 right? So I figured I'd rebuy for £25, but it turns out it is now listed as unavailable?

Lachie007

please, gb nintendo coverage is much better now that dans on board. He seems to genuinely enjoys nintendo stuff, unlike some others on the staff.

pumped for the game!

Vlade

I haven't been all that interested in this, but even the tepid reviews make me want it. I somehow never realized i should think of it as a straight puzzler.

Actually, Toad has been the star of a game in the past, in the often forgotten Wario's Woods.

ww.gif

one of the best competitive puzzlers ever. EVER.

KooopaKid

Banned
Sounds more like 6-7 to beat, 8-10 to 100%. Just guessing based on some of the reviews here.

8 hours to 100% it for 40€. Just a tad overpriced. It's 10€ for 2 hours. The price of a movie ticket. 29,99€ on the eShop would have been ideal. I'm still buying it day one.

TI82

Banned
And still you haven't learned your lesson with the AAA crowd and yet a $40 Wii U game is totally cause for alarm.

Right, because Ubisoft does something wrong it means every big budget game developer is bad.

I can't even take you seriously. You are the guy that said Nintendo's online service is better than XBL and PSN, and that third parties won't be missed on the Wii U until their products are as good as Nintendo's. Then when someone said they were excited for 2015 PS4 titles you posted a "cant tell if joking" gif.

Right, because Ubisoft does something wrong it means every big budget game developer is bad.

I can't even take you seriously. You are the guy that said Nintendo's online service is better than XBL and PSN, and that third parties won't be missed on the Wii U until their products are as good as Nintendo's. Then when someone said they were excited for 2015 PS4 titles you posted a "cant tell if joking" gif.

Please don't get my thread locked. : (

random25

With the way we look at value vs number of hours to complete nowadays, I wonder how Metal Gear Solid would fare in this age. Lol.

I was so hyped for this game and I'm glad it's been well received. Will get it as soon as I can. Now that SDG 2 is done with it, I'm VERY sincerely curious on what the Yoshiaki Koizumi led team is working on. Maybe E3?

I would considering Game & Wario and Wii Party U disappointments.
Overall though, you are right.

Game & Wario is redeemed by Gamer and the Pictionary clone. Otherwise it's mediocrity served on a silver platter. I hope we get a REAL WarioWare game on the 3DS before the generation is over. :/

Sorry man, I'll stop. That guy just really peeves me

Don't even respond. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

TI82

Banned
Game & Wario is redeemed by Gamer and the Pictionary clone. Otherwise it's mediocrity served on a silver platter. I hope we get a REAL WarioWare game on the 3DS before the generation is over. :/

A real WarioWare would be cool but a real Wario Land would be better. Especially since they did that Virtual Boy one with Mutant Mudd's style 3d before.

This would probably the last Nintendo game I'll buy this year, so I can pour all my deluxe points into it and practically get it for free from eShop before the promotion ends.

rjc571

Banned
I freely admit that my perceptions have been warped by Steam sales. I'm probably not the only one. :p

The Steam sale mentality doesn't apply to Nintendo for me because I know I can count on Nintendo to deliver high quality games, as they've been doing for years. Most games that the big publishers on Steam have put out since the start of last generation have been unpolished, unenjoyable experiences for me, so now I won't touch them until they're on sale for $5 or less, since that's about the amount of enjoyment I expect to get from them on average. But with Nintendo games, I know I'm going to get my money's worth.

Top Bottom