• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

oti

Banned
My short review: 8/10
Fun and cute. Camera can be a pain in the you know what. Some repetition. Still great and you should play it.

TheMoon

My short review: 8/10
Fun and cute. Camera can be a pain in the you know what. Some repetition. Still great and you should play it.

How is the camera a pain when you have full 360° movement and the game is about manipulating the camera to solve the puzzle of where to go/how to get there?

I also don't think price should ever really be a factor in a review. Prices change all the time. In two years this game could be $10 or it could be $200, but the scores reflect the $40 price now. Do all reviews inherently take the price into account, or just this one?

Corgi

Banned
OP needs links.

honestly glad price is the biggest complaint. too many games atm, will pick this up when i have time, and hopefully on sale (could be a long while though).

Thoraxes

Have $30 in RZ certs. This and KH 2.5 coupled with GCU make for some smooth sailing this week.

I gave up on anything GB does with Nintendo a while ago

You could tell by a lot of the discussion on the podcast that they're largely uninterested in the titles from them. My tastes are like polar opposites of their tastes, so I can never really take their opinions on them as having any real value to me.

But everyone likes different stuff, so it's cool.

faridmon

That is the first time GB have commented on the price/value proposition. Even Jeff doesn't go as far. I am disappointed to see Dan opening a new worms of can as, Jeff wordings ''Value can be different from one person to another''

Penguin

Am I in the minority in that the price should never be part of a review? Focus on the game, I'll worry about the price.

No, I think value proposition should be a part of a review especially since the industry doesn't necessarily have a standard pricing scheme like movie tickets for example.

And they aren't cheap

I also don't think price should ever really be a factor in a review. Prices change all the time. In two years this game could be $10 or it could be $200, but the scores reflect the $40 price now. Do all reviews inherently take the price into account, or just this one?

Just this one. I wonder why...

Haunted

The fuss over the price is funny when you take into account people paying above premium for broken games with zero complaints.
At the end of the day, I'd rather have more reviewers take pricing and value proposition into account than fewer.

Am I in the minority in that the price should never be part of a review? Focus on the game, I'll worry about the price.
Looking at the GB review, there's still plenty of focus on the content, and the review doesn't stop you from evaluating the price on your own as well.

And apparently $40 or being labelled a "budget-priced" game is still too much in Dan's opinion. Which is a completely fair criticism and should absolutely be factored into a review, so good on him.

It's fair, but given the amount of polish and content, I disagree with his assessment.

Ye, they are. Their quicklooks is embarrassing when it comes to Nintendo games too. Jeff is the worst. I like Vinny but he is not enough for me to start back watching them.

Yeah despite so many people on Neogaf talking about how great they are I just can't stand them (especially their podcasts) since they always ignore Nintendo stuff and talk down about their games, even if they're just joking.

Always felt $30 was the sweet spot for the game. It's stuck in this weird limbo between downloadable puzzle game and retail release.

Still happily preordered because I could use a good puzzle room game and I'll definitely 100% it.

I wish Nintendo would just let me pre-load this already!

Is there much of a point? It's only around one gig total.

Darklord

Banned
Is it just me or are giant bombs Nintendo reviews always significantly lower than everyone else's

It's just you. Most of the games have been given 4 or 5 stars.
pCvhv4B.jpg

Corgi

Banned
think its mostly Jeff that doesn't like nintendo stuff... or games in general lol.

bombing in the AM crew is more nintendo :p

Actually so is Rykert, surprised he gave it 3/5.

how long does it take to beat all the stages? Any reviews mention playtime to beat?

maxcriden

Why is this lol? It seems like the kind of thing worth noting especially with Nintendo games because they are the ones that rarely drop in price within any time near release.

FWIW the game seems to have a pretty extraordinary amount of content for a $40 release, based on what I've read in the spoiler thread.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
No surprise that Giantbomb is lowballing here - their nintendo-coverage is absolutely ridiculous and has been that way for a long time. The other reviews looks about what should be expected I guess. Sucks that this wont arrive in Europe before next year though :(

Surprised by the price-complains, I would guess this takes way longer to complete than the general 60 dollar AAA-game (and it also doesnt ship broken).

oti

Banned
How is the camera a pain when you have full 360° movement and the game is about manipulating the camera to solve the puzzle of where to go/how to get there?

Often times Toad is hidden behind stuff, moving the camera can be slow. I died a few tines because of the level design and the camera. The free camera is a trade-off, you get deeper gameplay but sometimes no visible Toad. That's OK, it isn't a real problem for all of us but my 5-year-old cousin for instance couldn't play it. Again, not a big deal, it just stands out in a really great game. That's all. Buy it.

big_z

Don't have time to read reviews right now, how long is the game supposed to be? I assumed $40 was already taking into account a relatively short experience, but even at that price it stills feels a little too expensive? So, about how many hours of playtime are we talking about here, roughly?

going by what a quick internet search 6-9 hours depending on skill to 100%.

I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer's assessment of the value (having not played the game), but I think all reviews should take into account the value proposition put forth by a game's initial pricing. How it devalues in price (or perhaps rises in Nintedo situations) is irrelevant to how valuable it is now.

Ninjimbo

Nah. I believe that too. Critics shouldn't make assumptions of value for me. Talk about the game, movie, book etc. and I'll decide if it's worth my money.

maxcriden

Has Toad ever had his own game before? Be interesting to see if he can carry this.

He has not, no.

going by what a quick internet search 6-9 hours depending on skill to 100%.

FWIW I've also read 11 hours with some stuff still to do. I dunno. That seems like plenty of content for the price. There are also
time trials
to extend replayability.

I do wish reviewers in general would be more specific in their reviews as to whether they've beaten the game, 100%'d the game, or somewhere in between. For me at least that makes a significant difference in my experience with a game. I have trouble imagining for example that all reviewers beat the final level of 3DW or TF. (Not that I've beaten the final level of 3DW myself!)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ye, they are. Their quicklooks is embarrassing when it comes to Nintendo games too. Jeff is the worst. I like Vinny but he is not enough for me to start back watching them.

I gave up on anything GB does with Nintendo a while ago
No surprise that Giantbomb is lowballing here - their nintendo-coverage is absolutely ridiculous and has been that way for a long time. The other reviews looks about what should be expected I guess. Sucks that this wont arrive in Europe before next year though :(

Surprised by the price-complains, I would guess this takes way longer to complete than the general 60 dollar AAA-game (and it also doesnt ship broken).
The last couple of Nintendo reviews were written by Dan Ryckert (he mostly lead the Quick Looks, too), who's quite a big Nintendo fan. Maybe you should take another look.

If you do a straight 2/5 = 40, 3/5 = 60 conversion, their reviews will always be lower, though. They actually use the whole scale.

Vandole

I don't mind price being brought up into the context of the review so long as its a constant. Unfortunately its always done selectively. It always seems to be these mid-tier kind of games. Full price big budget games that are over in 8 hours get a pass, as do $10 indie titles that end in 2 hours and offer no replay value.

And apparently $40 or being labelled a "budget-priced" game is still too much in Dan's opinion. Which is a completely fair criticism and should absolutely be factored into a review, so good on him.

People in the import thread estimated the total playtime at about 12 hours (give or take) , so if 12 hours of a puzzle platformer (platformers are always short) aren't enough to be worth 40 bucks ....fair enough I suppose.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

err, shouldn't the people who want to buy the game when it's $10 actually read the damn reviews so they can see if it says something like "great game but a little overpriced so wait until it's $10 HINT HINT HINT HINT READER FROM THE FUTURE IF IT'S $10 THIS LINE APPLIES TO YOU!!!!!!" and if it does then they can rub together a few braincells to decipher the meaning of these ancient occult writings?

or are we going with "once something is factored into a review, it is permanently etched in stone and so anything you say that might not be true by 2077 must never be spoken aloud"?

I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer's assessment of the value (having not played the game), but I think all reviews should take into account the value proposition put forth by a game's initial pricing. How it devalues in price (or perhaps rises in Nintedo situations) is irrelevant to how valuable it is now.

But doesn't that make it so a review is only valid at release?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Polygon said:
For anybody else, Captain Toad's weird little experiment would be an afterthought. But Nintendo's exercise in digging has found something pretty special - an action puzzle game that succeeds on charm and smarts, rather than reflexes and spectacle. - Arthus Geis

8.5/10
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/1/7312633/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-review-wii-u

His main complaints are that in some of the levels the camera doesn't work as well as it should and in a few others the game starts focusing too much on twitch gameplay with characters who are deliberately slow, which doesn't mesh well, but that the vast majority of the game works really well.

Corgi

Banned
I don't mind price being brought up into the context of the review so long as its a constant. Unfortunately its always done selectively. It always seems to be these mid-tier kind of games. Full price big budget games that are over in 8 hours get a pass, as do $10 indie titles that end in 2 hours and offer no replay value.

usually this means the game content doesn't wow the reviewer enough to justify the cost even if they are poor at wording it.

err, shouldn't the people who want to buy the game when it's $10 actually read the damn reviews so they can see if it says something like "great game but a little overpriced so wait until it's $10 HINT HINT HINT HINT READER FROM THE FUTURE IF IT'S $10 THIS LINE APPLIES TO YOU!!!!!!" and if it does then they can rub together a few braincells to decipher the meaning of these ancient occult writings?

or are we going with "once something is factored into a review, it is permanently etched in stone and so anything you say that might not be true by 2077 must never be spoken aloud"?

To play devil's advocate, with the rise of Metacritic, that final score is etched in stone to some extent.

Top Bottom