• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

I'm definitely ready for this game (well, my wallet isn't ready with having just bought several other games, but I can manage). Reviews seem about what I expected so far, but I think we all know going in exactly what this will be (and it looks awesome).

But now the drought begins

What drought? Kirby is out in just two months (and it's not like January is ever really a hotbed for games). Then you have Yoshi, Splatoon and Mario Maker presumably coming out shortly after that, and Star Fox, Xenoblade, Zelda and more coming out sometime next year.

But doesn't that make it so a review is only valid at release?
I don't see why. As Stumpokapow said, you can easily say, "This is a great game for X, Y and Z...but wait to buy it for a better value." Those are two connected statements that on the one hand is "forever" (saying the game is good/bad) and on the other hand is temporary (price value).

And on top of that, with the review saying its not worth the $40 right now, I think the onus is on the future consumer to read that and think about it. "Hm. They didn't think it was worth it at $40, but now it's $20. With all the other great reviews it got, it's probably really worth it now!"

hamchan

I also don't think price should ever really be a factor in a review. Prices change all the time. In two years this game could be $10 or it could be $200, but the scores reflect the $40 price now. Do all reviews inherently take the price into account, or just this one?

I have to disagree with your view, but I've always viewed reviews as a buyer's guide to anyone on the fence about a game. So price and value proposition should absolutely be a factor for those people.

Also I sure hope people actually read reviews to see why a game was given a certain score, and then use that to help their own decision. Obviously if you're reading a review two years after release you wouldn't use the price section to influence your buying decision...

codhand

Yeah despite so many people on Neogaf talking about how great they are I just can't stand them (especially their podcasts) since they always ignore Nintendo stuff and talk down about their games, even if they're just joking.

u should really read the review, they liked Toad's game quite a bit.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, what do you know? It's another solid game for the Wii U. I never would have guessed.

Anyway, I'll be checking this out down the road for sure. As I love the levels in 3D World and instantly thought it should be made into it's own thing. But for now I need to spend some time with Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Smash.

I don't see why. As Stumpokapow said, you can easily say, "This is a great game for X, Y and Z...but wait to buy it for a better value." Those are two connected statements that on the one hand is "forever" (saying the game is good/bad) and on the other hand is temporary (price value).

I have to disagree with your view, but I've always viewed reviews as a buyer's guide to anyone on the fence about a game. So price and value proposition should absolutely be a factor for those people.

Also I sure hope people actually read reviews to see why a game was given a certain score, and then use that to help their own decision. Obviously if you're reading a review two years after release you wouldn't use the price section to influence your buying decision...

FOR THE RECORD

I personally do not just look at the score. I read the content and the score to me is meaningless because the important parts are what's written.

But I do think that with metacritic we do have a situation where the score is the "most important part" to a large, large portion of the audience. And in THAT respect, I question if price should factor into the score. Not the content of the review, but the score.

I'm also just thinking aloud. Felt weird to me, is all.

cacildo

Is it just me or are giant bombs Nintendo reviews always significantly lower than everyone else's

Long time ago i tried to follow this Giant Bomb for reviews and stuff. I gave up under the impression they hate nintendo, everything needs to be AAA, etc

May not be so, but thats the impression i got from them

Zalman

Funny how the price is suddenly an issue despite the game only being $40.

Anyway, great reviews all around. Excited to play it in January.

Dany

Banned
Long time ago i tried to follow this Giant Bomb for reviews and stuff. I gave up under the impression they hate nintendo, everything needs to be AAA, etc

May not be so, but thats the impression i got from them

Thats not the case for reviews if you bothered to read them. You cast all of GB under an umbrella when in reality not every person is the same.

maxcriden

From Nintendo Life's review, re: playtime:

In terms of value, Nintendo's faced a tricky challenge in defining where this game fits in the marketplace, opting for a 'budget retail' approach. Experienced gamers will certainly blast through the 70+ stages — split into three 'episodes' — in eight hours or less, though may find another couple of hours in retreading stages to grab more gems and unlock some final extras. That play time can be greatly expanded for fans with less natural skill, meaning that there's decent value to be found; the strength of the title, beyond this length, is that this diorama puzzle approach feels unique and fresh, not just in the general market but even within the Wii U's own library.

Funny how the price is suddenly an issue despite the game only being $40.

Anyway, great reviews all around. Excited to play it in January.
Honestly Nintendo has done this for years. NES Remix Collection is $30 dollars for maybe 4-5 hours.
Captain Toad is around 10 for $40, which that does not include the secret objectives.
I do not mind a premium for this.

FOR THE RECORD

I personally do not just look at the score. I read the content and the score to me is meaningless because the important parts are what's written.

But I do think that with metacritic we do have a situation where the score is the "most important part" to a large, large portion of the audience. And in THAT respect, I question if price should factor into the score. Not the content of the review, but the score.

I'm also just thinking aloud. Felt weird to me, is all.
Now THAT is a different issue altogether. Yeah, in a world where Metacritic takes the scores without a real context and then makes it "forever," yes it could be problematic. This of course speaks to the inherent weakness of scores and Metacritic.

I don't know that there is a better option though. If there is a $60 game that's 5 hours long, I'd like to know if the reviewer thought it was worth the time-to-money ratio. I read reviews really to get an evaluation of if it's worth my money. Perhaps it should be an addendum at the bottom. The best solution of course would be to have no score.

X5eZnW0.png

Bring it on! Already have smash and FC4 coming on the way as well. Too many damn games, I still have Lords of the Fallen sealed lol. Can't wait to replay Bayo2 in the future as well when I finish up on the games I got.

oti

Banned
It's a very solid game. Two player mode could've been really fun but its definitely worth 40€ for what it is.

A game that works as advertised, is entertaining and is sold below premium yet cost is a issue? Double standards. They do exist.
It's fine to disagree with the reviewer, I know I do. But can you prove that the specific reviewer who thought it was not worth the price has a double standard?

Nice reviews, I'm more interested now than I was before. I'm a little put off by the amount of content though (8ish hours apparently) so I will pick it up when it drops in price sometime.

Conezays

Sounds good to me. Haven't really been disappointed with a Nintendo game yet on Wii U (though Game & Wario was a little underwhelming IMO). Will enjoy picking it up on friday with the girlfriend.

Top Bottom