• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

Sounds good to me. Haven't really been disappointed with a Nintendo game yet on Wii U (though Game & Wario was a little underwhelming IMO). Will enjoy picking it up on friday with the girlfriend.
I would considering Game & Wario and Wii Party U disappointments.
Overall though, you are right.

wildfire

Banned
I also don't think price should ever really be a factor in a review. Prices change all the time. In two years this game could be $10 or it could be $200, but the scores reflect the $40 price now. Do all reviews inherently take the price into account, or just this one?
Reviewers have regularly looked at the price of the game. Blood Dragon and Skullgirls were rated relative to their price to bigger budget games in their genre. They were both so good I've seen a few indie games were looked down upon for their value relative to these 2 budget titles.

TI82

Banned
10+ hours for $40 is lacking? Sounds like you are not away that shorter games than that go for $60, and just 20 years ago we were paying more than that for games that were less than 1 hour long.

More like 6+ hours, the plus coming if you are really bad at the (simple to me) puzzles or want to 100%

But even 10 hours would be bad. Find me other puzzle games with that low of content. Please.

Can't say as I noticed that in his review at all. Where was it?

A happy game is something this market desperately needs to see a lot more of. A totally unpretentious, colorful, cheerful videogame with no overwhelming sense of peril, no miserable characters complaining about their vapid emotional turmoil, and none of this “moral choice” gibberish.

K-A-Deman

Double the amount of levels and a way to create/share levels with the community.

there's already 80+ levels with three seperate objectives (completion, all gems, speed), how the hell is that 'not enough levels'?! As for the level editor, this game is pretty much proof of concept that Captain Toad style games are really wanted, so maybe if this does well and enough people show a clear desire for it, we'll get level editing in the future.

More like 6+ hours, the plus coming if you are really bad at the (simple to me) puzzles or want to 100%

But even 10 hours would be bad. Find me other puzzle games with that low of content. Please.

So what does this have to do with my post?

And like, 99% of puzzle games have less than 10 hours of content, thanks.

phanphare

Banned
A happy game is something this market desperately needs to see a lot more of. A totally unpretentious, colorful, cheerful videogame with no overwhelming sense of peril, no miserable characters complaining about their vapid emotional turmoil, and none of this “moral choice” gibberish.

that doesn't sound like it's aimed at any one game in particular

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Infamous is the only game to follow any of the tropes Jim is talking about

Schnozberry

that doesn't sound like it's aimed at any one game in particular

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Infamous is the only game to follow any of the tropes Jim is talking about

When it comes to the video game industry, there is no shortage of angst ridden white guys with various levels of facial stubble stuck is morally precarious situations.

I'm glad it supports community made levels. Please try and keep up on my posts from earlier in the thread my man. Not to mention it regularly sells for <$5 now which Toad will likely never reach.

The level creation was part of DLC.

And that <$5 thing is such a dumb argument and you know it.

Celine

Find me other puzzle games with the same polish and attention of detail.

I'm sure you want to believe this is about Second Son but he quite enjoyed the game and that comment doesn't exactly fit the game.

www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...121-inFAMOUS-Second-Son-Review-The-Good-Son.2

When it comes to the video game industry, there is no shortage of angst ridden white guys with various levels of facial stubble stuck is morally precarious situations.
Delsin isn't white and is quite the opposite of angsty

Fireblend

Banned
I can only guess people complaining about the GB review didn't actually read the review. If anything, I would say the star rating is a bit lower than the impression one would get from the text alone. It read like a pretty positive review to me.

TI82

Banned
Stop moving the goal posts, please.

Community content is a DLC. The game launched at 50$ for about 5 hours worth of content.

Didn't know it was a DLC I got it way after launch and it was free?

Maybe I'm wrong though. Still not going to buy Toad and consider it a slap in the face of gamers. But that shouldn't stop you guys from enjoying whatever.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't know, I think $40 is about right for a game like this. That is more than fair for over 70 levels to play around with. I know I have paid $60 for shorter games before, that's for sure.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Still not going to buy Toad and consider it a slap in the face of gamers. But that shouldn't stop you guys from enjoying whatever.

So what you're saying is that you have no clue what you're talking about and are just making up bullshit arguments against a game you have no intention of buying?

Celine

Has Toad ever had his own game before? Be interesting to see if he can carry this.
Sort of Wario's Woods on NES but even there the little guy didn't had the name on the cover.

Wario%27s%20Woods%20%28U%29.png

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo is on a roll, in terms of feeding Wii U with quality games. These guys have a special gift, haven't they?

Now I want them to tackle as many genres/games as they possibly can. I will most likely buy them all.

Vena

Still not going to buy Toad and consider it a slap in the face of gamers. But that shouldn't stop you guys from enjoying whatever.

Why? Like I said, Portal 2 launched for more and had equal content (all in all). Which is about the only comparable high-end studio puzzle release as the genre hardly ever sees many titles. Most puzzle games are indie projects that cost 10-20$ with about 5-10 hours of content in, usual, 2D with many falling into issues of repetition after the ideas run dry (see: Braid, Quantum Conundrum) with considerably lower production values.

Where is the slapping going on here?

Just like having the wrong information didn't stop you from posting.

Percy

Banned

Er... you got Second Son from that? I sure didn't.

maxcriden

Wait, you've played the game. Can I read your review?

TI82

Banned
Why? Like I said, Portal 2 launched for more and had equal content (all in all). Which is about the only comparable high-end studio puzzle release as the genre hardly ever sees many titles. Most puzzle games are indie projects that cost 10-20$ with about 5-10 hours of content in, usual, 2D with many falling into issues of repetition after the ideas run dry (see: Braid, Quantum Conundrum) with considerably lower production values.

Where is the slapping going on here?

Games like Professor Layton provide me with considerably more game time, better polish and "smarter puzzles" if you will. Not sure if Phoenix Wright is considered a puzzle game but same thing.

massoluk

Banned
I don't even need a review score. This game already sold me by how fucking cute and absurdly adorable the entire package is.

<3

ElNino

You are certainly entitled your opinion, but I feel sentiments like this are more a slap in face of gamers than anything.

The pricing race to the bottom, and the players expectation of cheap games, has done far more harm than good IMO. I fully understand the desire for cheaper games, and I get 90% of my games for 25-40% off thanks to E3 sales, but expecting every game to be as cheap as possible directly from the publisher is leading to many of the questionable business practices that many in the forum complain of.

maxcriden

there's already 80+ levels with three seperate objectives (completion, all gems, speed), how the hell is that 'not enough levels'?! As for the level editor, this game is pretty much proof of concept that Captain Toad style games are really wanted, so maybe if this does well and enough people show a clear desire for it, we'll get level editing in the future.

There are actually four separate objectives in each level:
completion, all gems, secret challenge, and time trials.
:)

Games like Professor Layton provide me with considerably more game time, better polish and "smarter puzzles" if you will. Not sure if Phoenix Wright is considered a puzzle game but same thing.

How do you know they are smarter? How do you know it has better polish?

Vena

Word puzzles are not the same as geometry puzzles. May as well say that Sudoku is the same as a Rubik's Cube.

maxcriden

You're absolutely right. Layton games are top-notch in terms of difficulty but they are $40 handheld games for ~20 hrs to 100% (from the first three I've played). This is a $40 console game with a bit less content potential but much higher production value. Part of what you're getting is the presentation. Same reason why you can 100% 3DW in much less time than it takes to beat, say, Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Nice! Can't wait to pick up my EU copy on friday!

You're probably joking, but in case you're not, I have some terrible news. The game will not be out until Jan. 2 in EU. :(

Celine

You are certainly entitled your opinion, but I feel sentiments like this are more a slap in face of gamers than anything.

The pricing race to the bottom, and the players expectation of cheap games, has done far more harm than good IMO. I fully understand the desire for cheaper games, and I get 90% of my games for 25-40% off thanks to E3 sales, but expecting every game to be as cheap as possible directly from the publisher is leading to many of the questionable business practices that many in the forum complain of.
Sad but true, the loss of B-tier production and more niche genres is definitely a loss for the entire traditional industry.
Not even indie games can fully cover that absence.

TI82

Banned

Maybe so. It just feels like this shouldn't have been a full retail release with the amount of content and yeah I understand that race to the bottom problem so stick to the current pricing but offer more potential content with level editor and more levels in general.

The Lamp

With GCU, this was $32.

I'd much rather pay for this lovingly-designed, complete game with unlockable content than $60 to be a beta tester for a buggy, microtransaction-filled, low FPS, app-tethered, pre-order bonus/DLC-riddled third-party game from the companies you know I'm talking about.

Top Bottom