• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Dominus Collection [Out Now]

Astral Dog

I replayed PoR a couple years ago, so fairly recently. I stand by the fact the game is pretty good in general, but most of the decisions they made were for the worst. It was not particularly memorable, only the parts that didn't hit right. The partner system was no good, and that was the gimmick. Even the bosses were pretty underwhelming. I haven't played OoE and am excited to, but it's going to be hard to top DoS - it's up there with SotN as the best Castlevania games.
curious, i thought the partner system worked pretty well for what it was, i mean its just a button for magic attacks, a special combination attack ,they solve puzzles together, and you can command them to fight together or solo, a few bosses require a bit of 'teamwork' and thats it

The controls are good,nothing clunky or complicated

simpatico

Gold Member
Konami put effort into this? Dawn of Sorrow seems like a front runner for GOTY for me. Can anyone give me a quick rundown and ranking of the three games? I just knew they existed, but never got ahold of a 3DS.

Konami put effort into this? Dawn of Sorrow seems like a front runner for GOTY for me. Can anyone give me a quick rundown and ranking of the three games? I just knew they existed, but never got ahold of a 3DS.
Konami remasters have been among the most high quality for years now. Castlevania, Contra, Turtles... Suikoden looks good too. New games are a different story, but even Konami deserves credit when it's due.

kunonabi

It depends but the consensus is usually order of ecclesia, than dawn of sorrow, then portrait of ruin. Some people think dawn is the best and weirdos like me think portrait clears them easily with dawn of sorrow last and actually inferior to aria of sorrow.

Astral Dog

Dawn of Sorrow is the sequel to Aria and just as good

Portrait of Ruin was rushed at release with the weakest level design and some recycled stages, but still well worth playing , its a 'sequel' to Castlevania Bloodlines

Order of Ecclesia was the last proper 'Igavania' released , and its considered one of the best, great bosses, its slightly more challenging, standalone story i think visually as well its even more polished than the other games, i noticed when playing back on DS

All games are great, now i just want the '3D collection'(mixed reception by most fans it seems but i never played the N64/PS2 games for completition sake i would like to play them 🤭)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dude fuck that swipe to kill boss mechanic in dawn.

They should have patched that shit out hahaha

simpatico

Gold Member
Dawn of Sorrow is the sequel to Aria and just as good

Portrait of Ruin was rushed at release with the weakest level design and some recycled stages, but still well worth playing , its a 'sequel' to Castlevania Bloodlines

Order of Ecclesia was the last proper 'Igavania' released , and its considered one of the best, great bosses, its slightly more challenging, standalone story i think visually as well its even more polished than the other games, i noticed when playing back on DS

All games are great, now i just want the '3D collection'(mixed reception by most fans it seems but i never played the N64/PS2 games for completition sake i would like to play them 🤭)
Like everyone else, I'm excited for a proper way to play SotN on PC. They can throw in Rondo, X and all the other games of the era. Between this and Snake Eater Delta, I'm pretty dang happy for Konami for the first time a decade maybe.

See, that's a mistake. Taking games away from their pixel perfect original displays means they really need some sort of assistance.

I've thrown shaders on both GBA and DS games via RetroArch and it helps a lot, just like any other sprite based game.
A grid filter would be perfect for this, but I made a TV setting for them that looks decent when I sit 1.5m away so I will play through them still. My regret is more not getting the PC version for reshade shaders.

curious, i thought the partner system worked pretty well for what it was, i mean its just a button for magic attacks, a special combination attack ,they solve puzzles together, and you can command them to fight together or solo, a few bosses require a bit of 'teamwork' and thats it

The controls are good,nothing clunky or complicated

It just seemed like a cop-out thrown in to differentiate itself, without being at all compelling. It was not used naturally throughout the game, jarring when it was required and completely forgettable and unnecessary the rest of the time. It didn't ruin the game, but with so many other good metroidvanias I question if I'd ever go back to PoR.

kevboard

What's funny is that SOTN is available on mobile. It's $2.99. But yes not available on any other modern platform other than Requiem.

yes it is... and the best version as well (og VA, no loading, no slowdown)
Scarlett Next Gen GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

lachesis

Gold Member
Kinda wish they'd use highres portraits for the in-game dialog scenes. Not that I don't mind the original, but it would have been nice if they added it as an option - perhaps with highres fonts too.

I have a long trip coming up - looking forward to playing this on the way. :)

Beat OOE and yes, I had to abuse the rewind feature at times to master the boss patterns. The game is absolutely brutal when it wants to be. Did all but 3 of side quests and plan on doing those at some point. I was thorough as hell, level 47 and got all the hidden wall secrets as far as I can tell.

So glad Konami released this collection. I was stuck at Blackmore back when it released on DS and I'm really impressed with myself that I got that far.

PoR is next. I owned all 3 on the DS but I don't remember shit about PoR.

I have been going through Advance Collection and I thought the 2nd game was not good at all. The other two are cool though. I never played them. I did like PoR and DS.

Same, about 70% done on my first go with Circle of the Moon. It's pretty good overall, though having what is essentially a collection of entirely different playstyles be gated behind rare item drops was not a good design choice. Also surprised by its difficulty....it's much harder than I remember Aria of Sorrow being.

kunonabi

Same, about 70% done on my first go with Circle of the Moon. It's pretty good overall, though having what is essentially a collection of entirely different playstyles be gated behind rare item drops was not a good design choice. Also surprised by its difficulty....it's much harder than I remember Aria of Sorrow being.
Yeah, that's the frustrating thing about CotM. In terms of level design and enemy placement/usage it's pretty much the best of all the Castletroids but the ridiculous dependence on awful rng loot drops really sucks a lot of the fun and variety right out of it. I still love the game but it really was a huge missed opportunity.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just finished Order of Ecclesia! Game is damn good - shame it took me this long to give it a fair shake. Also shame that this was the last Castlevania game like this to release.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Finished dawn of sorrow.
Well i got an ending…

The loot RNG is insane..
i got all the souls/ drops in other games

But that valkyre and that frankenstein souls are just stupid as fuck.

Game was alright think a 7 but worst metroidvania of them all imo..
i have no intrest getting the other endings in this game.. and the game felt a bit gimmicky

Next i will try order of aclyssia

Andyliini

Yeah, that's the frustrating thing about CotM. In terms of level design and enemy placement/usage it's pretty much the best of all the Castletroids but the ridiculous dependence on awful rng loot drops really sucks a lot of the fun and variety right out of it. I still love the game but it really was a huge missed opportunity.
At least Magician mode unlocks right after you beat the game once. In that mode, you unlock all the cards right away, so you can experiment all you want. But you are right, the drop rate is ridiculously low, and originally there was no way of knowing which enemies drop those cards. Even worse, some of the monsters are exclusive to Battle Arena.

kunonabi

At least Magician mode unlocks right after you beat the game once. In that mode, you unlock all the cards right away, so you can experiment all you want. But you are right, the drop rate is ridiculously low, and originally there was no way of knowing which enemies drop those cards. Even worse, some of the monsters are exclusive to Battle Arena.
Yeah, the battle arena was some real BS for sure. I'd have never gone for 100% completion on real hardware.

John Bilbo

I wonder if the card drop mechanic with low drop rates is tied to the Japanese fascination with gacha style collecting

simpatico

Gold Member
Never thought a remake of some 3DS games would be a serious contender for my GOTY, but here we are. Incredible value. A real treat. I'm nearing the end of Dawn. Ran through the arcade remake just now. Just in awe of the Dominus package. Sometimes we get lucky guys.

I don't think the soul drops are any worse than in Bloodstained. Certainly better than SotN farming. I've only had one really stubborn one and I still don't have it. Won't go out of my way to farm it again. Especially since I don't even remember what it was. Gotten lucky on a few 3 star farms.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Working my way through Dawn of Sorrow. Loving this game and collection, PS5 version. I've had a few instances though where (especially in boss fights) where i hit the button to jump and there is noticeable lag before he jumps.....sometimes he won't at all like the button didn't register. Has anyone else ran into this?

Shame it's collection of Igavanias.
If it was classic Castlevanias, that would be great.
There is already one...
7BAFE139FFAB43C8503153FE51FDB8C8395F6E11

Working my way through Dawn of Sorrow. Loving this game and collection, PS5 version. I've had a few instances though where (especially in boss fights) where i hit the button to jump and there is noticeable lag before he jumps.....sometimes he won't at all like the button didn't register. Has anyone else ran into this?
No input issues on Series S version.

simpatico

Gold Member
Dawn of Sorrow is in the bag. What a game. I think it's going right behind SotN in my IgaVania rankings so far.

Started Portrait of Ruin but it's not fully clicking after Dawn. Lack of souls to collect makes trash mobs less exciting to fight. A lot of people bitch about the soul collecting in the Sorrow games and Bloodstained, but I think it's a genius mechanic. Makes every trash mob exciting to fight. Sure there will be a couple enemies you max out early on, but they're pretty good about mixing in some 3 star rarity into every section beastiary. I think I'll switch to Order of Ecclesia and do Portrait last.

Dominus looks like a lock for my GOTY. Crazy how the cookie crumbles some years, but the sheer value prop of these 3 games for $30 is insane. I never played anything on a 3DS, so these are brand new titles for me. Good times. Good fucking times.

Now to start begging Konami for the Requiem Collection + the WiiWare title. My video game collection will pretty much be complete when that comes to Steam.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Dawn of Sorrow is in the bag. What a game. I think it's going right behind SotN in my IgaVania rankings so far.

Started Portrait of Ruin but it's not fully clicking after Dawn. Lack of souls to collect makes trash mobs less exciting to fight. A lot of people bitch about the soul collecting in the Sorrow games and Bloodstained, but I think it's a genius mechanic. Makes every trash mob exciting to fight. Sure there will be a couple enemies you max out early on, but they're pretty good about mixing in some 3 star rarity into every section beastiary. I think I'll switch to Order of Ecclesia and do Portrait last.

Dominus looks like a lock for my GOTY. Crazy how the cookie crumbles some years, but the sheer value prop of these 3 games for $30 is insane. I never played anything on a 3DS, so these are brand new titles for me. Good times. Good fucking times.

Now to start begging Konami for the Requiem Collection + the WiiWare title. My video game collection will pretty much be complete when that comes to Steam.
PoR has some of the best levels in the NDS trilogy imo. It lacks the soul system but the secondary weapon individually grow stronger as you kill enemies. It's a cool system.

I'm totally biased though, I love every Castlevania like they were my children lol

They're all 10/10 in my head

simpatico

Gold Member
PoR has some of the best levels in the NDS trilogy imo. It lacks the soul system but the secondary weapon individually grow stronger as you kill enemies. It's a cool system.

I'm totally biased though, I love every Castlevania like they were my children lol

They're all 10/10 in my head
Oh I don’t think it’s anywhere close to being bad. Directly after DoS just might not be the best place for it. Conflicting flavors. I’ve seen enough to agree with your 10/10 assessment and I feel exactly the same way about the series.

The exciting thing is, with Switch 2 around the corner and Steam deck becoming its own console sized market, I think there’s enough interest and buyers for Konami to make a brand new, very well funded 2D sprite based IgaVania. It’s my most dreamt of release. Bloodstained 2 will suffice. But the OG would be amazing

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the plat of this last Thursday, it’s easy actually: just beat each game (sans haunted castle) and beat the other mode, so a total of 6 playthroughs, the second being shorter (1-2 hrs each max).

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Oh I don’t think it’s anywhere close to being bad. Directly after DoS just might not be the best place for it. Conflicting flavors. I’ve seen enough to agree with your 10/10 assessment and I feel exactly the same way about the series.

The exciting thing is, with Switch 2 around the corner and Steam deck becoming its own console sized market, I think there’s enough interest and buyers for Konami to make a brand new, very well funded 2D sprite based IgaVania. It’s my most dreamt of release. Bloodstained 2 will suffice. But the OG would be amazing
Man, if Konami ever go back to developing a OG igavania , they're gonna need the OG, Koji Igarashi ... I feel like anyone else wouldn't make the same kind of product. Only Igarashi knows his recipe

simpatico

Gold Member
Man, if Konami ever go back to developing a OG igavania , they're gonna need the OG, Koji Igarashi ... I feel like anyone else wouldn't make the same kind of product. Only Igarashi knows his recipe
I have a theory (possibly too optimistic) that the great Vania's and Metal Gears owe their success to more people than just Kojima and Igarashi. I've got a feeling that Snake Eater Delta will surprise a lot of people. I hope the same would happen for a new IgaVania

Longcat

Where is Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness, Curse of Darkness, Lament of Innocence, Harmony of Despair, Chronicles, Judgment, Castlevania Legends(?).

As you can see we are missing quite a bit of Castlevania.
SOTN is more popular than all those games combined. Don't get me wrong, I want all of them playable on PC but at this point it's just weird how Konami have ported the game to every platform except PC.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I have a theory (possibly too optimistic) that the great Vania's and Metal Gears owe their success to more people than just Kojima and Igarashi. I've got a feeling that Snake Eater Delta will surprise a lot of people. I hope the same would happen for a new IgaVania
I hope you're right! One thing though, is both series haven't been shown enough attention for years. Getting collection is not enough anymore imo.

We need brand new iteration of both , were overdue ah, the world is ready.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
SOTN is more popular than all those games combined. Don't get me wrong, I want all of them playable on PC but at this point it's just weird how Konami have ported the game to every platform except PC.
They will keep it in their Vault until they need some money.

I was really digging PoR but got pulled away due to a VR game. PoR kind of has a stink about for the DS trilogy but I wasn't smelling it at all, love the 2 character mechanic and the girls charged flame attack wrecks everyone. Game feels like an absolute cake walk compared to OoE.

I love the enemy info being shown on screen in this collection, my OCD forces me to get all item drops when enemies are placed near exits. They usually drop after killing an enemy 50 or so times.

Top Bottom