• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Dominus Collection [Out Now]

00_Zer0

6 games that came out on Nintendo handheld systems that seem made for Switch, yet

Xbox is kinda the low key definitive system for 2D castlevania because it's the only place we can or will ever get Harmony of Despair lol. Hopefully they make a handheld already.
Yes, the most convenient way to own HoD on modern systems is through the XBox ecosystem, but PS3 has it right now too, as it's still available to buy on the PS3 store. If you own it there and you hack the system you can own that game forever even when they shut the PS3 store down.

I just repurchased a PS3 for cheap on eBay, and that's what I plan to do, along with snagging some other hard to find digital only releases. My old purchases are still active so that's a bonus.

Realistically though they need to rerelease a modern version of HoD on all platforms and include all the dlc, and extras with offline local and co-op play.

I just wish that the SotN and Rondo of Blood games eventually come out to all other systems someday. They deserved to be played by all
no matter the platform.

Castlevania Requiem, which includes those games are exclusive to Sony, so that version at least will never come to other platforms. Konami perhaps with the help of M2, can release those games on all platforms some day in another collection. I sure hope so.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yes, the most convenient way to own HoD on modern systems is through the XBox ecosystem, but PS3 has it right now too, as it's still available to buy on the PS3 store. If you own it there and you hack the system you can own that game forever even when they shut the PS3 store down.

Yeah I guess I just didn't count the system I have three broken ones of lol.

nial

As someone posting straight from the very first page, is this getting a physical release? Thanks.

nial

to be handled by LRG​

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

clem84

Gold Member
I've been playing Dawn of Sorrow and no surprise it's pretty great so far.

You know what would've been really awesome for the PC version? Multi monitor support. The originals were played with multiple screens. My PC has a 21x9 screen, and a smaller 16x9 next to it. Using the entirety of the 21x9 screen for the gameplay screen and map, and the second screen for the enemy attributes would've been unreal. Oh well... I guess it's possible they could patch it in at some point.

Last edited:

Longcat

Bought! Never played these before, but always heard good things. Next, PLEASE finally bring SOTN to PC, with a randomizer if possible.

Astral Dog

Im Not No Way GIF

They're all great.
Portrait of Ruin is genuinely a great game

Its biggest sin was getting sandwiched between Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia, both among the top Castlevanias

PoR was rushed (it was made in less than a year),its level design is the weakest among the trilogy, and even stages were recycled within the game.

It still had a brand new partner system,amazing soundtrack, good bosses,very detailed animations and the story was slightly above average for the series standards, it also had tons of additional content

Last edited:

TwinB242

I wish this was a better experience on a handheld as someone with worsening vision. Im playing it on my ally and the map is just too small in all of the layouts i've tried. I've been getting lost and doing an excessive amount of backtracking because I can barely make out nearby entrances and my position in relation to them.

A button to just toggle a fullscreen version of the map would have alleviated this but of course Konami wouldn't have included something like that.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I've been playing Dawn of Sorrow and no surprise it's pretty great so far.

You know what would've been really awesome for the PC version? Multi monitor support. The originals were played with multiple screens. My PC has a 21x9 screen, and a smaller 16x9 next to it. Using the entirety of the 21x9 screen for the gameplay screen and map, and the second screen for the enemy attributes would've been unreal. Oh well... I guess it's possible they could patch it in at some point.
Can't you get drivers/software to force games into using the full resolution? Use that then run it in the 50:50 view

Well, I caved. I am going to play Dawn of Sorrow over the weekend. Now, if they could release Rondo of Blood on the Series S...
q1g68.jpg

Last edited:
I replayed PoR a couple years ago, so fairly recently. I stand by the fact the game is pretty good in general, but most of the decisions they made were for the worst. It was not particularly memorable, only the parts that didn't hit right. The partner system was no good, and that was the gimmick. Even the bosses were pretty underwhelming. I haven't played OoE and am excited to, but it's going to be hard to top DoS - it's up there with SotN as the best Castlevania games.

The Saint

I don't remember OoE's enemies hitting this hard before. I have perfect defense and HP, but they melt right through me. The stamina bar for attacking gives it a Souls feel. Still, I beat the game, but the amount of damage I was taking when I was unable to dodge was killing me more times than I care to admit. Still a good game, though the ending of OoE has me kinda bummed out for reasons I wont post because this is not a spoiler topic.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I always thought OoE was a shift back to a more "proper" Castlevania after the whole Metroid era titles took over the series (which I loved).
OoE is my favorite Castlevania because it more or less starts out as a Classicvania in a manner similar to Simon's Quest and then leads into the 2nd half and becomes more of a Metroidvania. And the transition both in gameplay and from a story and character development standpoint was and is masterclass.

Sorcerer

Would love to see a Rondo+Sympthony collection that had all versions and especially officially porting the Saturn Version of Nocturne (with English voice acting or subs if possible. Throw in Chronicles as well.
Throw in the much maligned and forgotten Castlevania Legends. Just for laughs.

This current collection has Haunted Castle.
Since I see the collections have strange games thrown in (I believe the GBA collection has Super Nes Dracula X)
The Anniversary collection Kid Dracula.

It's like those James Bond Collections on DVD where they gave you two classic Bonds and threw in a stinker because you would not buy that movie otherwise LOL!!!

Last edited:

nkarafo

No.
I glad they don't remaster the OST because is one of the best things those games can offer.
Yeah, that's why i would love it if they remastered them a bit.

The originals are great but the DS sound quality doesn't make them justice. And the Arranged OSTs weren't that good IMO.

Fake

Gold Member
Yeah, that's why i would love it if they remastered them a bit.

The originals are great but the DS sound quality doesn't make them justice. And the Arranged OSTs weren't that good IMO.

Is hard to remaster OST if you don't have the team behind the original music dev team to backup. They know they can't do better.

I guess they saw shit things like what SEGA and Sonic Team are doing, trying to remaster OST. The remaster OST of Sonic Colors are fucking atrocious.

Castlevania Requiem, which includes those games are exclusive to Sony, so that version at least will never come to other platforms. Konami perhaps with the help of M2, can release those games on all platforms some day in another collection. I sure hope so.

What's funny is that SOTN is available on mobile. It's $2.99. But yes not available on any other modern platform other than Requiem.

kunonabi

Would love to see a Rondo+Sympthony collection that had all versions and especially officially porting the Saturn Version of Nocturne (with English voice acting or subs if possible. Throw in Chronicles as well.
Throw in the much maligned and forgotten Castlevania Legends. Just for laughs.

This current collection has Haunted Castle.
Since I see the collections have strange games thrown in (I believe the GBA collection has Super Nes Dracula X)
The Anniversary collection Kid Dracula.

It's like those James Bond Collections on DVD where they gave you two classic Bonds and threw in a stinker because you would not buy that movie otherwise LOL!!!
Kid Dracula is one of the best games in the series and I'll die on the hill that Dracula X is actually better than Rondo. Haunted Castle is indeed terrible but the remake does go a long way in trying to redeem it.

If Legends got the same treatment it could be pretty special since aside from the visuals the game was honestly a few tweaks away from actually being pretty good.

Sorcerer

Kid Dracula is one of the best games in the series and I'll die on the hill that Dracula X is actually better than Rondo. Haunted Castle is indeed terrible but the remake does go a long way in trying to redeem it.

If Legends got the same treatment it could be pretty special since aside from the visuals the game was honestly a few tweaks away from actually being pretty good.
I was going to suggest they could tweak, if not remaster legends a bit, but I doubt they would go to the trouble. Bold opinion on Dracula X. Going against the grain!!! Awesome!!!
Was not commenting on a personal level on the quality of the games just that they seem to throw an oddball with some classic stuff. Stinker is the wrong word, but I won't edit it and take my lumps. Too late I've been quoted. LOL!!!
How about tweaking the N64 games? I guess 2 games is not enough but add them to some kind of collection.
I just tortured myself finishing Grimoire (torture in that the game is so grindy, not in gameplay). Took forever to finish because you can only work on leveling aspects of your character one at a time. Took forever to finish. But a great fanservice game I would imagine as they throw almost everybody in there and the kitchen sink. Even multiple versions of the same character in one case. Took me 6-7 months to finish. LOL!!! I puzzle as the recommend time to beat the game is 15-20 hours? How? I must really suck. LOL!!!

Last edited:
OoE is my favorite Castlevania because it more or less starts out as a Classicvania in a manner similar to Simon's Quest and then leads into the 2nd half and becomes more of a Metroidvania. And the transition both in gameplay and from a story and character development standpoint was and is masterclass.
Wasn't there some light drama behind the game before it released? I can't remember fully, but there was something that people were upset about. Could have been because it was a female lead or something. I can't recall...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wasn't there some light drama behind the game before it released? I can't remember fully, but there was something that people were upset about. Could have been because it was a female lead or something. I can't recall...
-Minor complaints that lead character was Female in a series that barring Sonia Belmont(who is noncanon due to plot inconsistencies) has always placed the role into a male. Primarily the Belmont clan or relatives such as Nathan Graves or Eric Lecarde and then Soma Cruz of course and his big reveal. Shanoa ended up being a standout on her own with her character development.
-As a Mage Shanoa is squishier and had less HP
-Some annoyances with basic attacks tied to MP
-Harder difficulty. Necessitated grinding at times where taking one more hit from a boss could save a fight.
-Complaints about Wygol Village and finding Villagers
-Initial complaints about the early games Linearity as opposed to following the SotN format from the very beginning
-Enemy weaknesses/resistances actually matter when it came to combat. Example being the Skeleton on Prison Island being resistant to Slashing(Swords) damage but being weak to Blunt(Hammers) damage made the fight either very long or much shorter.

I think the drama introduced a lot of things Gamers just were not used to as Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin I feel were much easier to get into.

kunonabi

I was going to suggest they could tweak, if not remaster legends a bit, but I doubt they would go to the trouble. Bold opinion on Dracula X. Going against the grain!!! Awesome!!!
Was not commenting on a personal level on the quality of the games just that they seem to throw an oddball with some classic stuff. Stinker is the wrong word, but I won't edit it and take my lumps. Too late I've been quoted. LOL!!!
How about tweaking the N64 games? I guess 2 games is not enough but add them to some kind of collection.
I just tortured myself finishing Grimoire (torture in that the game is so grindy, not in gameplay). Took forever to finish because you can only work on leveling aspects of your character one at a time. Took forever to finish. But a great fanservice game I would imagine as they throw almost everybody in there and the kitchen sink. Even multiple versions of the same character in one case. Took me 6-7 months to finish. LOL!!! I puzzle as the recommend time to beat the game is 15-20 hours? How? I must really suck. LOL!!!
I love the N64 games and would loved a proper 3DS remaster to put the cut content back in. I doubt they would put that much effort in for a collection but if I could get the vanilla stage layouts with the extra stuff from LoD for Reinhardt and Carrie Id be happy enough.

I dont think people were people that pressed about Shanoa being a woman. Lots of people wanted Maria playable again after she turned up in the Saturn version of SotN and people liked playing her in Rondo despite completely breaking the game, people were looking forward to Sonia in Resurrection, and fuck Iga and his canon nonsense by the way, Carrie and Charlotte went over well, and Shanoa ended up being well-liked pretty quickly. I think it was more that her design was very similar to Samsho's Shiki that people were mostly ragging on before release.

Last edited:

Soodanim

So, it turns out that unlike the arcade game, the DS titles do not have scanlines or smoothing filters.
Arrested Development Mistake GIF
See, that's a mistake. Taking games away from their pixel perfect original displays means they really need some sort of assistance.

I've thrown shaders on both GBA and DS games via RetroArch and it helps a lot, just like any other sprite based game.

Last edited:

"Dracula is back! Rediscover Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia, bundled together in Castlevania Dominus Collection. Available today! These 3 classic metroidvania games originally released on Nintendo DS are now returning on Nintendo Switch. But that's not all! Haunted Castle, the very first Castlevania game on the Arcade, returns too in a completely reimagined version.Now with extra features such as save states or rewind, there has never been a better time to face Dracula and the forces of Evil!"

Also:

And on PSN/Xbox, too.

A new entry in the NS catalog that deserves the best console for handheld gaming either new games or retrgames.

Top Bottom