• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Dominus Collection [Out Now]

simpatico

Gold Member
I wish Konami would put Symphony of the Night on Steam.
We need a Konami released source port. Just release the bare code along with the game and let the community run wild. That thing would sell hundreds of thousands of copies over its lifetime.

Never played any

How important is knowing the story etc?
Not important at all. Dawn for DS is a direct sequel to Aria on GBA, Portrait is a sequel to Bloodlines on Genesis. SOTN is a sequel to Rondo, but all the games can be played and enjoyed on their own. Most of the titles are connected via lore but don't require extensive knowledge of the series.

All the collections are worth owning. The Dominus collection is a great entry point due to the rewind feature. Ecclesia is damn tough but the other two titles aren't too bad. If you can get through these games you'll be just fine for the other Igavanias. Some of the other collections only have save state, no rewind.

yes it is... and the best version as well (og VA, no loading, no slowdown)
Scarlett Next Gen GIF by Xbox

Says 360 but if BC allows it to work on Series, I guess that counts.

As for Steam... the games don't sell well on Steam. This collection has a peak of 1,792. Not sure if even SOTN would do much better.

Last edited:

Hudo

Huh. I've also just noticed that Rondo of Blood isn't on Steam either. There is Dracula X included in the Advance Collection but Dracula X is an inferior port of Rondo of Blood to the SNES. So the best two Castlevania games, Rondo of Blood (PC Engine) and Symphony of the Night aren't available. What gives, Konami?

Ulysses 31

Huh. I've also just noticed that Rondo of Blood isn't on Steam either. There is Dracula X included in the Advance Collection but Dracula X is an inferior port of Rondo of Blood to the SNES. So the best two Castlevania games, Rondo of Blood (PC Engine) and Symphony of the Night aren't available. What gives, Konami?
Ehm, those are officially available though in digital form if you got a PS4/5.

There even was a physical release a few years ago.

castlevania-requiem-ps4-lrg.png
castlevania-requiem-ultimate-editon-ps4-lrg.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
And that's probally why it doesn't sell well... people just download the roms.
Total chicken and egg scenario though. If they actually released it, a lot of people would buy it because they don't want to just download the roms. However since it's not available for sale, a lot of people will download the roms to play the games. Because so many people download the roms, Konami thinks it's not worth releasing the Requiem collection on Steam.

Pewp

Just played and finished all three of the games for the first time and I have no idea how people beat some of these bosses without rewinding. It's too bad that people focus more on the Metroid in new metroidvanias and leave out a lot of what makes the vania so great.

rm082e

So I never played these as I didn't have a DS. In the options menu, are you able to hide the second screen content entirely and maximize the other window out to full screen? The info on that screen looks like something I might want to toggle to here and there, but don't need up all the time.

This is awesome. I love these collections.

Am I the only one hoping that this is leading to a similar bundle with the Lords of Shadow trilogy?

Hot take: the first lords of shadow is one of the best Castlevania games.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Just started this, doing it in chronological order, played two of them before but totally forgot about the soul weapon boosting mechanic so sold an early weapon rather than upgrading it, can you re-find weapons? It's too hazy. All I really remember in either game is the legion boss in Portrait.

Last edited:

ssringo

That's a good looking collection. Damn good. I'd love to have it but I'm not really into ordering something and waiting nearly a year to get it.

simpatico

Gold Member
Just played and finished all three of the games for the first time and I have no idea how people beat some of these bosses without rewinding. It's too bad that people focus more on the Metroid in new metroidvanias and leave out a lot of what makes the vania so great.
I didn't have much trouble with Dawn of Sorrow. Order of Ecclesia I probably dies more times to one of the earlier bosses than all of DoS combined. Then I remembered that rewind feature is there. Man this release will be one we can point to for how it should be done for titles like this. Who would have fucking thought Konami of all people would be the ones to pull it off?

I don't want to give them any ideas bros, but I'd pay $50 for the Requiem if they did a fresh port from the PSX code. I hope the owners of Konami go on an ayahuasca retreat and decide to release all the Requiem titles as source ports along with any notes the developers made about the code and lossless PCM soundtracks.

Fake

Gold Member

Please... that was peace o cake back in my day. Only Order of Eclesia was a really pain of ass, but just level up.

You guys need to have more perseverance.

Astral Dog

This is awesome. I love these collections.

Am I the only one hoping that this is leading to a similar bundle with the Lords of Shadow trilogy?

Hot take: the first lords of shadow is one of the best Castlevania games.
Idk, but i would like to see a Castlevania 3D collection(LoI,CoD,N64,Judgment i guess + extra 2D game as a plus) i never played those games and while they aren't as highly regarded as the 2D igavanias they look interesting

Well i did played Castlevania Judgment back then , its actually fun once you change the awful default Wii controls 🤭

Castlevania Lords of Shadow collection...i see it as the last possible release,LoS2 was rough at parts but it had good combat, the games had potential but they fall short of greatness imo, while discarding the classic universe

OOC is so good. Never played it before. I love how they switched up the format and it’s level based rather than a single huge castle.
Nice.

It's weird, I've had this memory of the game being really divisive at launch but the metacritic is really positive, it won some awards, and the videos on YT are all praise. Been meaning to go digging in the Gaf and Gamefaqs archives to see if I had it wrong all these years.

Me personally, I love the game. Always have.

Calverz

They were money hatted by Sony years ago I think.

Finished DoS yesterday, including Julius mode. I think it was my first time beating the boss in the Abyss, how the hell were people able to do it without rewind lol... I don't think I could've managed without the Chaos Ring either.
It's been a very long time since I last played it, and even longer since I played Aria, were we supposed to know about Arikado's true identity?

Not sure if someone already answered this pages ago, the short answer is it’s exclusive because Sony helped fund it at a time Konami changed focus away from gaming.

Long answer: Requiem released back in 2018, and I’m not sure how long the dev cycle was but you may remember not so long ago Konami basically abandoned a lot of their video game franchises in order to focus on the pachinko business and let many IPs stagnate. Requiem was successful and the first of their Castlevania rereleases - next came Anniversary Collection, then Advance Collection, now Dominus Collection. All of these except for Requiem were released in 2019 and later, plus Konami has also now rereleased collections for Contra, MGS, etc as a way of monetizing their IPs.

I don’t know if anyone has confirmed what Requiem’s terms are but it’s not PlayStation exclusive simply because the original was, it’s because Sony probably bought exclusivity to the Reqiuem rerelease. That’s not to say we won’t see SOTN or Rondo on another platform, they are on mobile - just not as Requiem.

Top Bottom