• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sectus said:
It is Tragic Prince. Pitiful Scion is the name used in the PSP version of SOTN.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up! Tis a song that's good enough to make me wanna play a few moments in SOTN... regardless of youtube or such, just to hear the song in-game, amidst all the sound effects and screen transitions, and the like.

Very good choice for a DLC song.

I also like the variety they've shown in selections, too. It mirrors the very reason why I enjoyed this game in the first place (bringing great CV stuff from everywhere into one game, on a console, even!), so they're doing something right...

And good idea with listing the tracks + links, anotheriori... great having it all convinently listed like that.

Track List and Song links for Music Pack 01 (Relinking for new page)

Sectus

By the way, what other songs would you like to see remixed? Here's some of my favourites:

Wizardry Lab from Dawn of Sorrow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9BcQEApoI (definitely my favourite from this game)

Awake from Circle of the Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMsRU8cUsY (I guess this is highly unlikely since Circle of the Moon wasn't even made by Konami)

Troubled Times from Portrait of Ruin (I couldn't find a youtube link for this one. Just imagine awesome music!)

I think the GBA/DS games are especially good potential for remixes as most of them has great music, but the sound quality from those handhelds is so absolutely awful. Hearing the music in all its proper glory in CV:HD is awesome.

Sectus

New DLC released... another music pack! And apparently there's some notice on the Japanese marketplace the new DLC characters were delayed to due "system errors". Dunno if that's related to bugs ingame or something to do with xbox live.

Anyway, the tunes in this music pack are:
Heart of Fire
Aquarius
Slash
Divine Bloodlines
Simon's Theme

Heart of Fire seems to be one the best tracks in the pack. It's rather long (2 minutes and 15 seconds) which helps a lot to use as a track for a stage.

Sectus said:
New DLC released... another music pack! And apparently there's some notice on the Japanese marketplace the new DLC characters were delayed to due "system errors". Dunno if that's related to bugs ingame or something to do with xbox live.

Anyway, the tunes in this music pack are:
Heart of Fire
Aquarius
Slash
Divine Bloodlines
Simon's Theme

Heart of Fire seems to be one the best tracks in the pack. It's rather long (2 minutes and 15 seconds) which helps a lot to use as a track for a stage.
How's the Aquarius mix? I love that song.

Sectus

I didn't even notice Richter and Maria are out. Doesn't seem like microsoft or konami cares as I didn't see any news about it anywhere.

With Richter being released with no prior announcement, then it's insanely likely the last 2 characters will be Simon and Hammer. They'll probably be released at the same time, and as with Yoko and Julius (I haven't tried Richter and Maria), I'm betting they'll be very basic characters. I get the impression most effort was put into Soma, Alucard, Jonathan and Charlotte. Other characters has had very very limited amount of weaponry and skills.

The fact the game hasn't been patched a single time means they had planned all the DLC thoroughly. Heck, for all we know, the DLC might have been finished months ago.

I would have much preferred they had just delayed the game with a few months, release the whole thing as an entire package and increased the price. This generation is doing a great job of making me despise DLC.

Mzo

I still play this game from time to time; I really liked it. I need four more drops to be completely done with every item in the game, but I have a buddy who only needs one. Exciting times.

They really dropped the ball on handling the DLC for this game. I honestly just assumed after the initial cost they would keep adding to the game to keep it fresh and not make you pay for it =[

I got the extra level for the (very few) extra items, but still haven't paid for any music or characters DLC. Might cave for Maria, depends on how she plays and what sort of drops she can collect. If she makes Drac speed runs easier and can get Shanoa drops I am all about that.

Mzo said:
They really dropped the ball on handling the DLC for this game.
You said it. Somebody else downloaded a character? We should update the game! Nah, we'll just make them appear as a knight on your screen if you haven't forked out the cash as well.

Man that is just insulting. The DLC adds up to what? 1.5 times the cost of the game? Fucking ridicklous.

I'm a big fan of Harmony of Despair but it's pretty well fucked at this point.
Thanks so much Konami.

BMX Bandit said:
You said it. Somebody else downloaded a character? We should update the game! Nah, we'll just make them appear as a knight on your screen if you haven't forked out the cash as well.
What!? That's terrible. =\ Have they at least updated the leaderboards or something to split 'em by character?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
There's no real problem with paying for additional content. It's all a matter of how it's priced and delivered, though.

If this game existed as the only Digital game out there, this model would work well! But it's like... they DO know we've moved on to other stuff by this point, right? They DO know that having a web of DLC makes the game look less appealing to late adopters in some ways, correct?

If they released all current DLC as 1 pack at, say, 800 pts, or 2 packs at 400 each, I doubt there's be as many issues. Or even if they gave away part of it for free, and made you pay for the rest. But they currently want you to play 21 dollars (1680 MSP) for 4 characters, 10 songs, and 1 stage; more money for less than what was contained in the release game. There's little rhyme or reason to this release set, other than pairing related characters together by release dates.

This doesn't make me hate DLC itself any (more content for games I enjoy will always be good), but this does make me a bit sad at how poorly Japanese companies handle the content. Mostly involving SquareEnix, NamcoBandai, and Konami here.

Maybe they like the illusion of "choice" that such pieces give. Maybe it's all based off sales for things like Idolm@ster... But for a western audience, I think we're more interested in percieved value, and convenience.

And I don't think the lack of title updates means much of anything with this game, all of the DLC is appropiate in size, and things you don't own, simply don't show up in your game (like with characters being replaced with Grey Axe armor.)

It's a shame, the main person I expected to play this game with STILL hadn't gotten the game (life issues, other games coming out, etc), and the other person I play this with... shares a 360 with me, so we can't even play it together! Argh.

Other than MNC, this was easily my favorite SOA game, but they're really handling the post-release content quite poorly.

Wizpig

BMX Bandit said:
Nah, we'll just make them appear as a knight on your screen if you haven't forked out the cash as well.
HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA please tell me you're joking.

You're not?

Oh my god, Konami.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Grey old Axe armor isn't an issue to me. I mean, the biggest complaint for gamers over DLC (besides price) is "It'll segment the community". Here they have a way that keeps more of the community together, and that's a BAD thing?

I mean, sure, I'd prefer the Blazblue method of "Buy character USE, don't buy, and see them anyway!", but this method also ensures you don't have to Download anything extra, in order to play the game still.

At any rate, I'd love to see the Monday Night Combat team (Uber Entertainment) visit Konami HQ, and give them some pointers on how to keep a community-driven game relevant and exciting, months after release. Not to mention their Title Updates truly targeted and delt with problems that the users brought to light... Castlevania HOD would be so much more fun to play with "randoms", if Konami could give use some room control...

A complete DLC pack containing 3 new maps, 2 new characters and new items for 400 points would've been more appropriate, and less of a FU from Konami.

Release such packs every 3 months and I'd buy them all.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I find it rather funny that I'm let down by the DLC in this Konami game, while happily awaiting the Konami games coming to Game Room (at much better value, overall.)

At least PART of Konami gets it!

Foffy

Banned
theMrCravens said:
A complete DLC pack containing 3 new maps, 2 new characters and new items for 400 points would've been more appropriate, and less of a FU from Konami.

Release such packs every 3 months and I'd buy them all.

The thing is the characters were supposed to start coming out in August. They didn't start coming out until two weeks ago. :lol :lol :lol

jgkspsx

I bought the music and the level, but the characters aren't worth it. Sorry, J.

I'm surprised they didn't add, say, a Trevor and Simon two-pack, with pixel sprites. Would have been fun.

Foffy

Banned
jgkspsx said:
I bought the music and the level, but the characters aren't worth it. Sorry, J.

I'm surprised they didn't add, say, a Trevor and Simon two-pack, with pixel sprites. Would have been fun.

Simon and Hammer seem to be the next pack.

OnPoint

Yeah, it's been a major letdown for me regarding how they handled this game's DLC as well. If they would have came out with character packs and new maps about a month or so after release things would have been so much different. Plus, they could have balanced the broken weapons some to make online a bit more fun... really a huge missed opportunity here.

I bought the level and it wasn't worth 400 points. I refuse to buy the other stuff at those prices. It's just not worth it.

Foffy

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Yeah, but it's 16-bit Simon. I want my pixels :)

Hammer is an intriguing idea. I assume projectile weapons?

I think so. Hammer was planned for Dawn of Sorrow to be the Dynasty of Julius Mode. Maybe he'll climb walls?!?! :lol

jgkspsx

I didn't think any of the DLC was worth the money. I bought them to do my part to keep our poor friend IGA's career alive :(

Foffy

Banned
jgkspsx said:
I didn't think any of the DLC was worth the money. I bought them to do my part to keep our poor friend IGA's career alive :(

He better be making a 3DS game, if not only to rectify the release of this. I mean..even Judgment has more coherency and newness to it than 'vania HD. And of course, it's part of IGA's timeline, for those continuity buffs where HD is not.

jgkspsx

I don't care about the timeline or newness or anything, as long as I get my giant 2D segmented bosses, hilarious weapons and special attacks, and big environment-changing setpiece puzzles.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Releasing DLC secretly? Truly it is arduous and thankless work, this business of saving IGA.

Foffy said:
He better be making a 3DS game, if not only to rectify the release of this. I mean..even Judgment has more coherency and newness to it than 'vania HD. And of course, it's part of IGA's timeline, for those continuity buffs where HD is not.

Castlevania Judgment is nothing if not evidence that ours is not a rational universe governed by reason and natural law, but rather it is a place fueled by madness and driven by inscrutable fiat. I realize these are trying times, but let us not permit the trials we face to cloud our reasoning and cause us to say things we will regret, like implying that coherence can e'er be found in the space and time that saw fit to birth Castlevania Judgment.

Manus

Why is the run speed so fast in this game? Doesn't give me enough time to look at the gorgeous scenery.

Wizpig

SquirrelNuckle said:
Why is the run speed so fast in this game? Doesn't give me enough time to look at the gorgeous scenery.
Hm, the characters are actually quite slow, but i think there's an armor that makes you run more fast.

And one that makes you run more slow.

ps. Castlevania Judgement was awesome for the music
and i actually enjoyed the game too.

Wizpig

Well, every time i play this game now i get more and more pissed off thinking about what it could be and realizing what it is.

I find 1-2 games... and it's usually people who kicks you out if you don't have the DLC level.

What i'm getting at is that i think i would find 20-30 games if the DLC was actually free or decently priced; this game really made me hate Konami, IGA or not.
Also, you want to scam the fanboys? fine, but at least make a free DLC with all the characters data so that everyone can actually see the new characters even if they don't purchase them... damn.

Capcom did it with Super Street Fighter IV.

Anyways, any tips for Slaughtervania? "kill 10.000 enemies". thanks.

jgkspsx

So, how many of copies of HoD have sold...?

This is probably IGA's last hurrah. Yeah, a lot of stuff sucks, but my heart isn't in complaining about it.

Community seems alive still.. Gamefaqs:
Top 10 Message Boards (Xbox 360) 09 Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Top 10 Wanted FAQs 07 Castlevania: Harmony of Despair X360

Title update:

- Quick match works, on game fail it still boots you back to main menu
- Custom match selectable level/difficulty/country and lobbies don't need to disband to get new players
- Everyone gets boss drop
- Nerfs on val/yatsu hitrate
- Charlotte heal nerf: From 40mp cast to 50mp.. I was getting 63 with ssj now 51 for a heal of 1hp
- Skeletons can duck and slide
- In-game reset Press and hold lb, rb, x,y,a, b for about 1 second
- Connection speed indicators actually works now
- Lower mp cost for alot of things, damage tweaks on some spells (nerf soul steal, buff tetra)
- Mp regen on Yoko/Maria improved
- Weapons attack damages tweaked

saw a weird glitch where drac's flame pillars appeared inside the doors.

Sectus

Yikes! I didn't expect this game to be patched at all. That's a good patch, although a bit late for it to be released. I dunno if I'm getting back into the game at this point.

Sectus

Soma you mean?

I've only tried some of the DLC characters (Julius and Yoko) and I don't think they're worth it. Julius plays too similar to Jonathan, and Yoko is very very limited. She's also a bit annoying with how often she shouts the name of her spells.

robot

Sectus said:
Soma you mean?

I've only tried some of the DLC characters (Julius and Yoko) and I don't think they're worth it. Julius plays too similar to Jonathan, and Yoko is very very limited. She's also a bit annoying with how often she shouts the name of her spells.
Lol yea Soma...as you can guess I haven't played in a while.

Yoko - terrible except for boss killing ability spells
Julius - 8 way whip and teleports
Richter - different martial arts than Jonanthan pretty mobile with slide-kick thing
Maria - pretty well rounded caster but missing a homing style spell

Wizpig

anotheriori said:
Title update:

- Quick match works, on game fail it still boots you back to main menu
- Custom match selectable level/difficulty/country and lobbies don't need to disband to get new players
- Everyone gets boss drop
- Nerfs on val/yatsu hitrate
- Charlotte heal nerf: From 40mp cast to 50mp.. I was getting 63 with ssj now 51 for a heal of 1hp
- Skeletons can duck and slide
- In-game reset Press and hold lb, rb, x,y,a, b for about 1 second
- Connection speed indicators actually works now
- Lower mp cost for alot of things, damage tweaks on some spells (nerf soul steal, buff tetra)
- Mp regen on Yoko/Maria improved
- Weapons attack damages tweaked

saw a weird glitch where drac's flame pillars appeared inside the doors.
And they still couldn't put up a free DLC pack with the new characters instead of the skeletons...?

Wizpig

Please prepare your MS Points: this is still a rumor but tomorrow (and tomorrow only) the game should drop to 600 MS Points as part of the Christmas promotion.

If they don't put the DLC in deal aswell i will kill someone.

(Today's game is Lara Croft for 600 MSP.)

Foffy

Banned
Wizpig said:
Please prepare your MS Points: this is still a rumor but tomorrow (and tomorrow only) the game should drop to 600 MS Points as part of the Christmas promotion.

If they don't put the DLC in deal aswell i will kill someone.

(Today's game is Lara Croft for 600 MSP.)

People on GameFAQs are saying that's going to happen on Thursday, so for all intents and purposes, it probably will.

Maybe it'll get a community booming again, as it's been pretty bloodless for a few months now for me. The only ones still playing are ones who just play with people they know. It makes grinding characters up a nightmare.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bought it, fired it up and couldn't find a game. Of course, it's the middle of the night also. :lol

Is the game still viable as a single player game?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
firehawk12 said:
Bought it, fired it up and couldn't find a game. Of course, it's the middle of the night also. :lol

Is the game still viable as a single player game?

For me, it's as viable as playing, say, Monster Hunter, or Phantasy Star Online alone. Perhaps a bit less, since there's no attempt to pretend theres a story.

With friends, it's focus is on team play, and working together to bring down big enemies. Alone, it's focus is on grinding, in order to gain sufficient levels, to make up for the lack of teammates.

My suggestion is to grind by challenging yourself to beat stages, on various difficulties, rather than just grinding the survival mode, like some would suggest. Brute-force character leveling takes away a lot of the fun, and diminishes the game's enjoyment greatly.

Top Bottom