• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Nessus

Why couldn't they make an offline multiplayer component to this? I would have bought it without hesitation if they had.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Nessus said:
Why couldn't they make an offline multiplayer component to this? I would have bought it without hesitation if they had.

It would have been fantastic if it had dynamic split screen, like World of Keflings (and Toejam and Earl)...

It really is an oversight, though. Even if it restricted you to a teather or something, I woulda preferred that to none at all.

It's one of the first things I'd want in a sequel. (2nd being customizable room rules!)

Sectus

Sounds like the hints in the data files for the game was right all along. All of the DLC characters has been correct so far (only ones missing are Simon and Hammer), and there were hints of there being 3 DLC stages.

I'm curious if they just planned the DLC really far in advance and made sure to finish specific parts of it (like the voice acting, hidden items and enemies), or they had quite simply finished all of this content in advance, and since release it's just been in certification hell and arbitrary-release-schedule hell.

edited:
analyzing the pics it seems like another title update is coming;

img_04.jpg

- Shanoa new spell
- Soma new soul
- Jonathan new weapon

img_05.jpg

- Yoko/Shanoa heal spell

DLC out today: Ch8. The One Who is Many, 320pts.
img_04.jpg

more dlc announced 2 characters, 2 chapters (10, 11), older assets cheaper cost
shimon.jpg
gepu.jpg

- 8 bit Simon and Getsufuu (from some non cv related game) 160pts ea.

img_06.jpg
img_07.jpg

- 8 bit Stages 240pts ea.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's... actually kinda cool. It might clash horribly, but it's a nice little nod to the old games, and HD always kinda felt like a return to traditional, time based NES style castlevania...

Especially like the inclusion of the Getsufuu Maden character, dig into that obscurity!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So it costs 1680 points to get the DLC out now(not counting music packs) for a 1200 point game, holy shit. Will be 2480 for a total of 6 characters and 4 stages compared to 1200 for the default game with 5 characters and 6 stages.

anotheriori said:
shimon.jpg
gepu.jpg

img_06.jpg
img_07.jpg

Holy shit!
Incredible. So oldschool.

I want it, but I know I won't get it for same reason as others.

Wow that looks great.
Konami should just do a bundled release for retail.
That way it'll eventually crash in price so badly that it'll be cheaper than buying the online version without the DLC.

Damn this sucks. I'm really tempted to just start buying the DLC.

Wizpig

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I would buy the retro things if it was ONE package for 240 points with 2 levels and 2 characters.

But LOL, it's still separate downloads, so Konami can go fuck itself.

Still, i understand you; while i didn't care much for the first DLC, this retro stuff looks pretty unique and fun, i really want these levels.

Beezy

Fucking Konami. I'd buy all of this and start playing the game again if the pricing was reasonable. I'm not buying shit now until all the dlc is bundled together for cheap.

Yazuka

I'm sorry to ask, but has there been anything said about a PS3 version?
I am going to buy a X360 soon, but all the people I would like to play this with just have PS3's.

Wizpig

Yazuka said:
I'm sorry to ask, but has there been anything said about a PS3 version?
I am going to buy a X360 soon, but all the people I would like to play this with just have PS3's.
Eh, they said that if it'd sell good on the 360 they would think about a Ps3 version... but no news as of today :S

Odd, since it sold well.

The PS3 version is going to have the dreadful DLC model anyway so I find it difficult to get excited.

I mean I love HoD, spent maybe 40+ hours on it, but Konami's support has completely fucked every nice thing I could have said about it.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Any word on what comes with the new stage released today? Items, skills or armor?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DRock said:
Any word on what comes with the new stage released today? Items, skills or armor?

As a general rule of thumb for this game, Gamefaqs is pretty well supplied with info. Here's the info from the first post of this topic.

Normal Exclusives:
Artemisian Ring
Apollonian Ring
Javelin
Slide Boots

Hard Exclusives:
Impervious Helm
Simon's Cloak
Globus

Enemy souls: Legion, Ukoback, Fishhead, Killerfish

Notable drops Normal:
Mercury Boots

Notable drops Hard:
Winged Boots
Valmanway (?)
Minerva set
Simon's set

Notable drops both difficulties:
Guardian Knuckle
Omnia Vanitas
Forward Roll
Shuriken
Wrecking Ball

*Note that that's not necessairly all, as the full topic points out. Shanoa apparently get a new Spell/Weapon from it, for example!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Wow that looks great.
Konami should just do a bundled release for retail.
That way it'll eventually crash in price so badly that it'll be cheaper than buying the online version without the DLC.

I think they will bundle it eventually but for now they're cashing in on addicts like myself.

Wizpig said:
I would buy the retro things if it was ONE package for 240 points with 2 levels and 2 characters.

But LOL, it's still separate downloads, so Konami can go fuck itself.
The pricing is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I really love the core game, but as others have said, the dlc pricing is shit. Especially when you have to get other people to buy it to really enjoy it, so that you have people to lay with.

If they would just bundle it all up for another 1200 points, even that would be fine. But being gradually milked for $5 a pop is ridiculous.

Fuck it. I am not buying new characters for $3 each, but I will go ahead and buy the new stages. I only play my one leveled up character anyway.

The four new levels combined come to $12.50 (240+240+360+400=1240 points = $12.50). Given that the game itself was $15 and only came with 4 (?) levels that seems fair enough, I guess. Certainly not a great deal, but I think I can live with it since it essentially doubles the content of the game.

I just got a bunch of 1600 points cards for $14.88 from Walmart. So all four levels will cost me around $9. I think I can live with that given how much playtime I will get out of them if I can get my friends to pick them up too.

anotheriori said:
DLC out today: Ch8. The One Who is Many, 320pts.
img_04.jpg

shimon.jpg
gepu.jpg

img_06.jpg
img_07.jpg

What game is the non-Simon sprite rip from?

I'd love to see a stage based on Castlevania 3 next.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Arpharmd B said:
What game is the non-Simon sprite rip from?

I'd love to see a stage based on Castlevania 3 next.

I linked to his wiki article above, he's from a game called Getsufuu Maden, a 1987 game from Konami. There are apparently english versions of the game out there, thanks to rom hacks, but otherwise, he's an old Konami chara with no proper overseas releases, from what that info states.

One day they'll slip Mikey from Goonies 1 & 2 in there and I'll have to buy.

Seems obvious enough. Dude was in a Metroidvania game before Metroidvania even existed.

Sectus

I heard the new stage has new music tracks. Any impressions on that?

Also, are the 8-bit stages entirely new stages or reskins of old stages?

And yeah, the support for this game is an absolute mess. If they had waited 6 months and bundled all this content together for a nice price, I think that'd be neat. But releasing content piece by piece at a stupidly high price is well, stupid. Especially since each individual content doesn't mean that much. If I buy a new stage now I'll probably play it a few times... and then I'll stop playing the game entirely again.

Sectus said:
I heard the new stage has new music tracks. Any impressions on that?

Also, are the 8-bit stages entirely new stages or reskins of old stages?

And yeah, the support for this game is an absolute mess. If they had waited 6 months and bundled all this content together for a nice price, I think that'd be neat. But releasing content piece by piece at a stupidly high price is well, stupid. Especially since each individual content doesn't mean that much. If I buy a new stage now I'll probably play it a few times... and then I'll stop playing the game entirely again.
Ch8 - lost paintings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcuPQbpesa0

Crystal teardrops or wandering ghosts would have also been good.

Phenomic

Oh my god the music... Why couldn't we get good tracks like these remade in Lords of Shadow that would have totally made the game for me.

Nice to see Konami actually still releasing content for this game, though sadly I'm in the same boat with everyone that it's way to expensive. I would love to get back into this game. They need to bundle all that DLC and charge like 5 bucks for it because so many people would be down for that.

Noogy

Phenomic said:
Oh my god the music... Why couldn't we get good tracks like these remade in Lords of Shadow that would have totally made the game for me.

Nice to see Konami actually still releasing content for this game, though sadly I'm in the same boat with everyone that it's way to expensive. I would love to get back into this game. They need to bundle all that DLC and charge like 5 bucks for it because so many people would be down for that.

Price is killing me because I have to buy everything twice so that my wife can play with me.

abq

Noogy said:
Price is killing me because I have to buy everything twice so that my wife can play with me.
Buy it with your account on one console and then let your wife sign in and play on that console. Sign in with your account on your second console and you should be able to play as long as you are signed in with your account.

Noogy

abq said:
Buy it with your account on one console and then let your wife sign in and play on that console. Sign in with your account on your second console and you should be able to play as long as you are signed in with your account.
Shenanigans... I like. I'm not sure if that works, but I'll try. Although I've already bought the game and stages so far.

And to be honest, when you find a great game to play with your wife, cost doesn't really come into play.

Sectus

From Major Nelson's blog:
January 26: Castlevania Harmony of Despair Playable Character Simon Belmont, 160 Microsoft Points
January 26: Castlevania Harmony of Despair Origins Stage Pack , 240 Microsoft Points
February 2: Castlevania Harmony of Despair The Legend of Fuma Stage Pack 240 Microsoft Points
February 2: Castlevania Harmony of Despair Playable Character Getsu Fuma, 160 Microsoft Points
Looks like a ton of DLC is hitting pretty soon.

Siyou

i wish i lived in america again... xbl is blocked here in china, id prolly pay $60+ for everything in this game and of course play with others... dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Konami supports their games for a long time or in weird spurts...remember those extra costumes released for Rumble Roses XX?
That being said, I really want to get this, but my patience is really strong with waiting on a price drop. Anyone want to get together to finish off the achievements?

Top Bottom