• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

aparisi2274

Hi All, need some assistance with a part of the clocktower level.

I am in the clock tower, and I made it across the lower level up to the elevator and now I am at a lever that I have to spin so that I can raise the platform that I walked across when I first entered the clock tower up to my level, so I can walk across that and make it to an electrified organ...

My issue is that each time I grapple the lever and begin to turn it, I only get about a 1/4 of a turn, before he lets go and the platform drops back down and the planks reconnect with the lower level...

Can someone please let me know what in the hell I am doing wrong....

THANKS!!!

EDIT: NVM!! I am just a SCHMUCK who was holding the RT and all I had to do was let go of it....

aparisi2274 said:

I am in the clock tower, and I made it across the lower level up to the elevator and now I am at a lever that I have to spin so that I can raise the platform that I walked across when I first entered the clock tower up to my level, so I can walk across that and make it to an electrified organ...

My issue is that each time I grapple the lever and begin to turn it, I only get about a 1/4 of a turn, before he lets go and the platform drops back down and the planks reconnect with the lower level...

THANKS!!!
Let go of the button on the controller. It will toggle it letting go if you hold it.

It is literally the only lever in the game that has this problem.

Ledsen

aparisi2274 said:

THANKS!!!

EDIT: NVM!! I am just a SCHMUCK who was holding the RT and all I had to do was let go of it....

Christ this should be in the thread title, it gets asked at least once every page :lol

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| of LET GO OF THE RIGHT TRIGGER

desverger

I noticed something last night when I was replaying some of the earlier levels and trying to find all the brotherhood arks and gems
now that I got the seraph shoulders/double jump

You don't actually have to replay a level if you're just looking for the collectibles inside them. Here's how I did it.

1. Find all the missing gems and arks you missed on your earlier run
2. Reach an autosave point
3. Pick "reload last checkpoint" from the start menu

Now, if you check your world map, it has actually updated the status of the collectibles, and you can safely pick another level. I'm not actually sure if you can quit to the world map directly after finding the items, since I seem to recall I missed at least one item this way.

Anyway, just dropping it here - hope it helps someone who's also determined to find the collectibles in the levels at least :p

Ledsen

desverger said:
I noticed something last night when I was replaying some of the earlier levels and trying to find all the brotherhood arks and gems
now that I got the seraph shoulders/double jump

You don't actually have to replay a level if you're just looking for the collectibles inside them. Here's how I did it.

1. Find all the missing gems and arks you missed on your earlier run
2. Reach an autosave point
3. Pick "reload last checkpoint" from the start menu

Now, if you check your world map, it has actually updated the status of the collectibles, and you can safely pick another level. I'm not actually sure if you can quit to the world map directly after finding the items, since I seem to recall I missed at least one item this way.

Anyway, just dropping it here - hope it helps someone who's also determined to find the collectibles in the levels at least :p

You can exit to the map and it will still save the collectibles, that's how I did all of them.

Minamu said:
Started playing today for the first time. And DAMN it's frustrating as hell on hard :( It gets easier, right?

It's actually quite random, some of the earlier bosses and challenges are much harder than the ones at the end. But you can lower the difficulty to pull through certain chapters if you can't beat them. Just remember to turn the difficulty back up to continue, it's good practise and after finishing the game, or after getting more powerful you can come back and finish some of the tougher chapters on hard. You get the achievement of finishing all chapters on Hard.

Maxrunner

Is this game real good then???im planning to get a ps3 and thinking what games to get first, and i really liked the atmosphere in this....

Minamu

Will it screw up my achievements if I decide to bail out on playing this on Knight my first time through? This shit is more frustrating than call of duty on veteran tbh...

Spiegel

Maxrunner said:
Is this game real good then???im planning to get a ps3 and thinking what games to get first, and i really liked the atmosphere in this....

It is really good.

It's worth $60, in my opinion.

Kobiekun

I beat the game for the first time on hard over the weekend, and spent the remainder of the weekend (when I wasn't playing Gran Turismo) taking care of the trials. I was very skeptical of the game early on, as it didn't fit the mold any of the Castlevanias I grew up playing. In the end though, I highly recommend this game. I can't wait for more.

Foffy

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Just finished it. Easily, it is my GOTY and is definitely one of the top 5 of this generation. Now, I want to play it on the hardest setting. I will be there on day one for the next game.

It'll be quiiiite a while for the sequel. I believe there was recently a Spanish interview that the successor (which was revealed via composer Oscar Arujo) will not be finished for two and a half years.

How many other games do we know of that are 2013-pending releases? :lol

Last I heard about DLC, other than what it's about, is that it's a December release. Then again, Harmony of Despair has some DLC that was supposed to be out in August and literally came out last week. :lol :lol

Ledsen

Maxrunner said:

It's amazing, one of the best games this year. Buy it at a high price.

No45

Minamu said:
Will it screw up my achievements if I decide to bail out on playing this on Knight my first time through? This shit is more frustrating than call of duty on veteran tbh...
Not really. You'll obviously need to complete them on Paladin at some point if you're looking to S-rank though. How far into the game are you? Daft as this sounds, the first few chapters as you're finding your feet and have very few tools available to you are considerably harder than anything in the middle of the game (I'm in chapter eight now and finding the going on Knight, first time through, fairly smooth).

Maxrunner said:

Worth if for that atmosphere alone, though 60 is a bit steep for such an unpolished game. 40 would be the sweet spot, but I don't really regret it anyway.

Playing through the game on Paladin after playing through on easier difficulties is very, very easy because of the fact that you can tackle any level, in any order, after maxing everything out. Playing through on Paladin from the get go would be an absolute bitchtastic nightmare though.

Completing the trials is way harder.

No45

I don't think Paladin unlocks until you've beaten the game once anyway. Normal difficulty is probably the sweet spot in terms of difficulty, but I have to say I'm enjoying the extra tension of playing through on Knight this first time.

-Winnie-

ShockingAlberto said:
It is passable.

Spending $60 would be a mistake, in my opinion.

I disagree. It's been a while since a console, single-player only game has provided so much content. This game is HUGE. Trials and collectables add some really good replay value as well.

No45 said:
I don't think Paladin unlocks until you've beaten the game once anyway. Normal difficulty is probably the sweet spot in terms of difficulty, but I have to say I'm enjoying the extra tension of playing through on Knight this first time.

Ah, that's right. My bad. Still, Paladin is a breeze after you're upgraded, only a few spots gave me some trouble.

It's an official thread, so I'm not surprised I'm outnumbered.

But in my opinion, the game fumbled in too many areas for me to say with a straight face that it's worth full price.

Amount of content is not my concern. Execution of content lacked in too many areas.

Sblargh

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It's an official thread, so I'm not surprised I'm outnumbered.

But in my opinion, the game fumbled in too many areas for me to say with a straight face that it's worth full price.

Amount of content is not my concern. Execution of content lacked in too many areas.

Game does create the weird "this is awesome and this should be much better!" feeling.

desverger

This is one of those games that definitely grew on me. At first, it felt like a standard 3d-action romp, but after a while when the game moves on from the almost generic setting of the beginning, the world and the exquisite-looking levels drew me in. It's a fantastic looking game for sure.

Of course, being a Castlevania fan helps as well :p

Just finished the game and so I have some thoughts. I really liked the game. One of the better character action/exploration games this gen if you ask me. It's not without some problems, but I don't exactly share a lot of the problems I've seen mentioned in reviews. I think the GT review mentioned backtracking and getting lost in environments. I don't share this. There may have been some backtracking, but they seemed really insignificant and the I don't know how you could get lost. Sure it wasn't a straight line, but the game kept you aware of where you need to go and it kept you pretty confined so there shouldn't be any problems.

As for the combat. I really enjoyed it, there's some actual depth here. Now it does suck that there really is only 1 weapon and since the game is pretty long, combat wears thin more noticeably then if this was 10 hours shorter. But you do have a nice amount of sub abilities that add a bit to the combat. Plus dodging is more important in this game, so since you want to dodge it adds a lot of reflex intensive combat that's pretty fun. The game can still be pretty floaty though especially when you jump in the air and are attacked. All in all, the combat is fun.

As for the other stuff. I do really like how the game is varied. The puzzles are not amazing ,but they are far more imaginative then what I've seen this gen. Some can be a bit annoying, but the game does throw you a bone. They are spaced out pretty well that they create a relaxing atmosphere away from the combat. Chapter 11 being the prime example of the game now throwing combat after combat at you. It's really well spaced out honestly.

The platforming is not the best. When I jump I feel like something is wrong. The jumping feels floaty and just not right. So there is some low confidence in a lot of my jumps. It's not that bad and the jumping is so easy that for a lot of it, it feels pretty automated. Still, it just doesn't feel right.

The graphics are amazing. The art design is fantastic. The environments just look so great and are a joy to look at. There maybe some frame rate problems, but they hardly happen in actual gameplay. The fr problems for the game seem overblown.

Now as for the story, well that's a problem. The story is perhaps one of the most badly told stories I've experienced recently. What is going on here? You have all these things in the "Dear Dairy" sections that are supposedly happening to Gabriel, but are hardly reflected in actual game scenes. So it's really hard to care. That and the story is just really bare bones, with barley any real development for anyone. It all comes to a head with the massive "lets talk plot exposition" scene and the "no you are being manipulated" crap. Then, we have the awesome character change that honestly just feels like it comes out of nowhere, because Gabriel is a terribly developed character. Also the game has about every predictable twists that games have been using forever.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game despite some flaws.

Minamu

Lycan Dark Lord defeated. Even on normal, this game is completely fucked up. Purchased the landslide punch thingie and upgraded my heavy attack combo twice and I'm still having trouble with some enemies. Checkpoints are beyond retarded at this point.

Minamu said:
Lycan Dark Lord defeated. Even on normal, this game is completely fucked up. Purchased the landslide punch thingie and upgraded my heavy attack combo twice and I'm still having trouble with some enemies. Checkpoints are beyond retarded at this point.
Cornell is the hardest boss in the game and you're underpowered early on too. It gets more manageable from Chapter 4 on.

dankir

Minamu said:

Learn to use the timed blocks / parries and build your meter up. It will really help later on and make Paladin mode even easier.

Cornell is also the least polished boss. The second form's hitbox starts way earlier than his attack, so doing timed blocks is to your detriment there unless you block early.

neoism

:O :O :O :O :O

GODDAMN this game is fucking magical. Just beat the Bog on Hard. Holy shit this game is going to be long... awesome. :lol So far it's a good as GOW3, which was fucking amazing. I love the graphics, and the camera is actually good.! Best 35 I've spent... :):lol

neoism

brandonh83 said:
Playing through the game on Paladin after playing through on easier difficulties is very, very easy because of the fact that you can tackle any level, in any order, after maxing everything out. Playing through on Paladin from the get go would be an absolute bitchtastic nightmare though.

Completing the trials is way harder.
ok nm I'm on whatever the third difficulty was? It feels right... I'm at the end of the first chapter and I've died about 10 times... :lol

desverger

Also completed this sucker last night. Great game, the ending totally threw me off!

I give the final boss a difficulty rating of 1/10 with
ultimate light
:lol

Echoing my previous thoughts, this game is one of those cases where the sum is more than the individual parts.

neoism said:
:O :O :O :O :O

GODDAMN this game is fucking magical. Just beat the Bog on Hard. Holy shit this game is going to be long... awesome. :lol So far it's a good as GOW3, which was fucking amazing. I love the graphics, and the camera is actually good.! Best 35 I've spent... :):lol

5150_v.jpg

she was supposed to be eating a candy bar

No45

Those finding it tough - persevere, it gets much easier when you move onto the second 'world' after the first proper boss. After that point chances are you'll die only because you've been screwed by some poor checkpoints.

Having said that, I LOVE the times when I'm thrown into a tough fight with almost no health and no light magic. Realising after a few failed attempts that you have to fight intelligently to build your focus to allow yourself to recover health so that you can start the fight proper is fantastically intense and incredibly satisfying. <3

I'm into chapter XI now on Hard.

neoism

I've played the first part of the game like 10 times... <3 I love the fact you can go back as much as you want to level up... I can beat it in like 2 minutes.:lol

I got to 3rd chapter now and I feel like I've got enough of this game. Is there any reason to continue? I've been skipping cutscenes and I'm playing it in easy too. I know this is not the best way to play any game, but it would be great if people told me if I should continue :)

roman2003h said:
I got to 3rd chapter now and I feel like I've got enough of this game. Is there any reason to continue? I've been skipping cutscenes and I'm playing it in easy too. I know this is not the best way to play any game, but it would be great if people told me if I should continue :)
You're in for a wild ride ahead. The first 3 chapters are straight ass, but it REALLY picks up afterwards. Stick with it and you'll be pleased you continued the adventure.

roman2003h said:
It gets better and justifies the time you put in to it

It's not the best thing ever or anything, but it gets better

roman2003h said:

I see no reason for you to continue with it in that case.

Top Bottom