• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Rahxephon91 said:
Now as for the story, well that's a problem. The story is perhaps one of the most badly told stories I've experienced recently. What is going on here? You have all these things in the "Dear Dairy" sections that are supposedly happening to Gabriel, but are hardly reflected in actual game scenes. So it's really hard to care.
This!

Melodramatic garbage told in the narrative but you don't actually feel it conveyed in any of the scenes with Gabriel.

Leaving a "couldn' give a shit" Patrick Stewart shut up already.

Ledsen

roman2003h said:
I got to 3rd chapter now and I feel like I've got enough of this game. Is there any reason to continue? I've been skipping cutscenes and I'm playing it in easy too. I know this is not the best way to play any game, but it would be great if people told me if I should continue :)

Seems kind of a waste to play it on easy, the combat is pretty awesome but on that difficulty you're probably just button-mashing and getting away with it.

roman2003h said:
I got to 3rd chapter now and I feel like I've got enough of this game. Is there any reason to continue? I've been skipping cutscenes and I'm playing it in easy too. I know this is not the best way to play any game, but it would be great if people told me if I should continue :)

It has a wide variety of environments, puzzles and monsters to tackle but the core gameplay doesn't change.

I loved it from start to finish. But if you need to ask us if you should continue with that track record, you might not enjoy the rest of it as it is a 20 hour game.

Thanks for your replies. I'm still unsure if I should invest more time in this game, but I do realize that i did not pick the best way to play it. :)

Well... I'm so confused if I should get this game or not.

I mean for this year I only got Bayonetta, Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, FFXIII, GOWIII, Prince of Persia TFS, Enslaved, Fallout NV and AC:B.

what can sell me on a game is a great Atmosphere, Epic Music and addicted gameplay with nice story... I know this game might have it all but I need a little bush to the edge to make me think ( I MUST BUY IT ).

make me wanna buy this game gaf.

The Praiseworthy said:
Well... I'm so confused if I should get this game or not.

I mean for this year I only got Bayonetta, Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, FFXIII, GOWIII, Prince of Persia TFS, Enslaved, Fallout NV and AC:B.

what can sell me on a game is a great Atmosphere, Epic Music and addicted gameplay with nice story... I know this game might have it all but I need a little bush to the edge to make me think ( I MUST BUY IT ).

Have no worries, it has all of that and it was a great experience. You'll find plenty of criticisms in this thread, but if you liked Bayo and GOW while not the exact type of combat, it will deliver.

Aru

I'm liking the game so far but it's below my expectations. I'm not sure why though...
Is it because it's completely unrelated to previous games in the series ? Or maybe because the music isn't catchy anymore ? Because the gameplay is taking a lot from many games ?

I don't know. Something is missing.

It's your typical 8/10ish game. Great start, but could do better. I've done almost half of the game already.
I hope it gets better at the end.

bumpkin

I really need to go back and finish this game. I was enjoying the game so far, even if it is a little slow-going at first. My progress was side-tracked by other releases, and now I'm in the thick of AC Brotherhood. Maybe once I wrap that up, I'll return to Mr Belmont's quest; I left off somewhere in chapter 2 (I think?) after meeting some girl and her golem.

jergrah

Been slowly making my way through this on PS3 and am really enjoying it. I think Im on Chapter 6-2 (Maze Gardens) currently. Great atmosphere, nice combat system that can be pretty deep if you take the time to learn it, pretty graphics and I think it does a good job of not holding your hand too much.

The Praiseworthy said:

Most batshit-crazy ending cutscene of the year?

I just finished the game tonight (actually put aside God of War 3 to start and finish this :lol). Wow, I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. I think I might even like this more than God of War 3. Personally I much preferred the colourful art style and enjoy being able to go back through any level later to explore/power-up with all my earned powers.
My only real complaint is the sometimes floaty jumps and I felt that the ledge shimmying was not as responsive as God of War or Uncharted to me.

Also, was totally surprised by the
Epilogue (modern city), and Dracula Gabriel reminds me of Tom Cruise's character in an Interview With a Vampire
. I cannot wait for the next one now. :D

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Loved this game, nothing but positive things to say, never was frustrated once... then I hit the Music Box and the level after, and it took me 2 hours to beat them both and I had to stop for the night. Ugh, I hope that's the end of sucky levels.

Ledsen

John Harker said:
Loved this game, nothing but positive things to say, never was frustrated once... then I hit the Music Box and the level after, and it took me 2 hours to beat them both and I had to stop for the night. Ugh, I hope that's the end of sucky levels.

Those are probably the worst ones, but the best levels really are in the middle.

ugh. I started playing this game for the first time on hard because i play a lot of games like Ninja Gaiden and GoW on higher difficulty already, and i think it was a mistake. Blocking hits is completely broken in this game. Is attack timing something that they've changed on the hard mode or something? Or is there a delay when you press block? I've died countless times already because of hits that simply don't even match the enemy attack animations. The game even shows it to me in slow motion when i die; the fucking boss hasn't even swung its sword already and BAM I get killed. Finding it very frustrating. I thought that this game's combat system would be as polished as the graphics.

John Harker

Ledsen said:
Those are probably the worst ones, but the best levels really are in the middle.

Whew, good.

The boss fight with
Pan, in his silver get up
was one of my favorite boss fights. Damn. Aside from some sometimes sketchy platforming, this is a fine game. How's WOM been? I hope this at least eeks passed Dante's Inferno in sales (though I liked it better than GOW too)

NinjaCodah said:
ugh. I started playing this game for the first time on hard because i play a lot of games like Ninja Gaiden and GoW on higher difficulty already, and i think it was a mistake. Blocking hits is completely broken in this game. Is attack timing something that they've changed on the hard mode or something? Or is there a delay when you press block? I've died countless times already because of hits that simply don't even match the enemy attack animations. The game even shows it to me in slow motion when i die; the fucking boss hasn't even swung its sword already and BAM I get killed. Finding it very frustrating. I thought that this game's combat system would be as polished as the graphics.
Enemy hitboxes reach you when their attack animations start.

It is a really, really bad way to do things.

John Harker

Just roll. I haven't blocked since like stage 3.

Though I take back my previous post, the
Gravedigger
right after the silver guy is even better! :lol

Fimbulvetr said:
The issue is with weird hit boxes.
Yeah, looks like it and it makes sense. I really tried to use the game's various attacks and counters, but clearly it's not working very well so I started going for the cheap "attack twice, roll, attack twice, roll" technique. Sucks :\

Minamu

HOLY SHIT at the ending :O :lol :lol :lol I felt like the gameplay wasn't all that exciting and the story didn't take up as much space as I'd like, but DAMN at the very last chapter and secret movie after the credits. I was almost literally bouncing up and down in my seat at the prospect of a sequel after that special movie :D The game is almost completely redeemed.

NinjaCodah said:
Yeah, looks like it and it makes sense. I really tried to use the game's various attacks and counters, but clearly it's not working very well so I started going for the cheap "attack twice, roll, attack twice, roll" technique. Sucks :\

It gets better. By how much varies.

Ledsen

John Harker said:
Just roll. I haven't blocked since like stage 3.

Though I take back my previous post, the
Gravedigger
right after the silver guy is even better! :lol

You don't block? Wow, if I'd done the same it would probably have almost doubled my playtime :lol Parrying makes all the fights go soooo much faster.

John Harker

Ledsen said:
You don't block? Wow, if I'd done the same it would probably have almost doubled my playtime :lol Parrying makes all the fights go soooo much faster.

Oh, I die a decent amount for sure. I can't seem to get blocking down right so I don't bother. I love the camera in this game, but most of the time it's just too pulled back for me to see the motions of the enemies to get the timing right. Rollings fun though. Plus I'm usually too impatient in games to stand there and block anyway (probably why I die so much) :lol

Eccocid

I am at chapter 2 Lycan Forest. Already got bored to death with this game.
Backgrounds are amazing but most of the places are empty. You just walk empty areas then few goblins or lycan pops up (usually before or after opening a door) and then travel again in empty areas. Is pacing like this rest of the game?
And amount of popping text on screen is so annoying. I spent almost 2 hours maybe with the game still every time i get a scroll it gives that text msg that i can read it from menu etc.
When will i get to the castle ad game will start feeling like a Castlevania? When will i start to fight against more charismatic enemies instead of furballs?

mjc

Eccocid said:
Backgrounds are amazing but most of the places are empty. You just walk empty areas then few goblins or lycan pops up (usually before or after opening a door) and then travel again in empty areas. Is pacing like this rest of the game?
And amount of popping text on screen is so annoying. I spent almost 2 hours maybe with the game still every time i get a scroll it gives that text msg that i can read it from menu etc.
When will i get to the castle ad game will start feeling like a Castlevania? When will i start to fight against more charismatic enemies instead of furballs?

To give you perspective...the first two chapters take up like an hour total of the game's time. You're in for MUCH more interesting enemies.

Maffis

Eccocid said:

The castle is like 20% of the game. You should have read reviews before buying, because you are in for a dissapointment if you think this game will feel anything like the old Castlevanias.

Hmm query...

Why did Gabriel take Claudia's life? Did he do it i asleep and unaware? I know he needed the black knight's gauntlet. Was there no other option? I guess this is the whole love blinds all stuff? This is some holy knight alright

Urban Scholar said:
Hmm query...

Why did Gabriel take Claudia's life? Did he do it i asleep and unaware? I know he needed the black knight's gauntlet. Was there no other option? I guess this is the whole love blinds all stuff? This is some holy knight alright

He was
possessed in a sense. He didnt do it consciously.

Foffy

Banned
Has Konami talked about when the DLC is coming out? Cox said in one single interview that it was intended for December, which is around the timeframe when the game would be out worldwide.
I want to go back to the castle and deal with Laura again, and hopefully they explain that dreadful twist at the end in some fashion..

I don't want another Harmony of Despair situation where the content is months late to the party.

John Harker

Just completed it.

WTF, an action game with an actual ending in 2010?!
After Dead Rising 2, I had given up hope they still made them :lol

Really really liked this game. Amazing art/graphics, really solid voice acting, some beautifully designed set pieces, though some odd stages here and there...

One of my favorite of 2010. Surprised it isn't getting more recognition, but hopefully it sells enough through the holidays so we can get Mercury Steam some time for LoS2

John Harker

Okay, hold up, I just watched the additional ending after the credits (not a spoiler, more like a heads up), but wtf, that was the single most unexpected thing they could have possible shown :lol

Does this mean that
Well, I don't really know what it means - are we suppose to? Can't see how Zobek is even alive, let alone on good terms with vampire Gabriel. Is the sequel going to be a Soul Reaver-esque title set in modern day? I don't even know how I feel about that, conceptionally interesting but some of these Medieval stages were so stunning I want more more more classical goth, ya know?

Today I learned that GAF does not play games the way they are meant to be played. Some of these comments are ridiculous. Game is amazing, game of 2010 for sure.

Tears For Fears said:
Today I learned that GAF does not play games the way they are meant to be played. Some of these comments are ridiculous. Game is amazing, game of 2010 for sure.
I almost had to force myself to finish it personally. The game is beautiful indeed, but I think it did everything possible to piss me off. I died so many times with the combat because of hit detection problems. The game provides you with moves to evade and counter-block, but guess what, half the enemy attacks are practically unstoppable, and with the crappy framerate and jitering camera being so far away all the time it's really difficult to tell what attacks the enemies will use. There's some sort of delay on blocking too (or maybe that's the hit detection problem). Also I died so many times because of platforming inconsistencies, invisible wall, etc. Found myself going on youtube 2 or 3 times to find out where I had to go next.

Normally, I like replaying games like this on harder difficulties, but not this one. I actually started playing on hard, then moved it back to normal so that i could finish it faster and get it over with.

Maddness

I really had a blast playing this game. The environments and atmosphere was amazing. Really impressive stuff. I would take minutes just walking around areas (after taking out baddies) and just looking around at the draw distance and stuff (in the outdoor areas).

I played the game on Knight? I think. It was the hardest difficulty you could play first play through. It was challenging in some of the boss areas, but it was a good challenging I thought. There was one boss fight that almost made me go insane but other than that I thought it had good pacing, great platforming, and excellent combat.

Foffy

Banned
Sevket-Erhat said:
Any news about the DLC ? I wonder what is it about

There will be two DLC episodes. One of them involves
going back to Carmilla's Castle, and it deals with Laura. She's the only character in the game that was not killed, outside of Gabriel of course.
No clue what the other one could be. Could it be an arena, like in a lot of recent Castlevania games? If not, I'd like to see them try to
bring the plot about Cardinal Volpe (I believe that's his name) and him in charge of the Brotherhood making some impact in the story directly. Maybe as a turn-to-bad example for Gabriel, going after warriors fighting for God for revenge or something.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
roman2003h said:

There is so much wrong with this post.

I just cleared chapter 5 last night - I'm really enjoying this now. The environments are glorious and in the past couple of chapters the game has a coherency that I felt was missing earlier on (I don't just mean story / plot, something just felt disjointed).

Combat feels pretty good, starting to work into the combos and I'm finding enough variety. When I'm platforming, I think I'm more in awe at the scale and spectacle involved some of the time than the controls but they work well enough.

I like collecting things (wat!), 100%'ing things and I like stats so I'm liking the chapter structure and the wee report at the end (the feedback is much better than the Mass Effect 2 one and feels less out of place). I think I'll enjoy going back through the levels to pick up secrets I missed, backtracking with new skills and trying out the trials.

As I type this, I'm just thinking back to chapter 5 really, and I really, really enjoyed that. Chapter 5 notes:
This was the first chapter in the game where I felt the game belonged in the Castlevania universe. Wygol village reminded me quite a lot of the same area in Dawn of Sorrow. Getting into and climbing the abbey was awesome and I probably really listened to Patrick Stewart for the first time in this chapter

Minamu

3 achievements left :D The game got a bit better as I played more and learned all the controls etc. And of course, the "secret ending" saved the game completely. Wouldn't mind some DLC that leads up to that. With all collectables found, it's onward to Paladin!

thetrin said:
There is so much wrong with this post.

I acknowledged that there are a lot of things wrong with the post. I just wanted to know. I have only few hours a week to play games and I knew that this game was really long so I decided to play it the way it would take the least time and see if I enjoyed gameplay.

Up to chapter 10 now and this game has gone from very enjoyable to a game of the year contender for me (alongside Red Dead Redemption and Donkey Kong Country Returns for what it's worth). Spectacular. Interested to see it through to see the ending everyone is talking about. Will replay for trials and whatnot.

Epcott

Finally beat the game. I loved it, though there were a little too many puzzles towards the end, but I'd rather have too many puzzles than an over use of hack and slash.

So I get to the end thinking Dracula
would be the big baddie and well... that wasn't the case.
If not for the epilogue after the credits, I would be pissed that this had any association with Devil's Castle Dracula, since there was no Drac in it at all :lol

I'm interested in seeing where they'll take this. I really hope a few old faces show up from the old series... but errrrr, maybe that would be cheesy?

I honestly find it strange I am one of the few disappointed with the game.

I mean, more power to you guys, but I just don't understand the really high praise for it. I absolutely could not think of a more disappointing game this year.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ShockingAlberto said:

I mean, more power to you guys, but I just don't understand the really high praise for it. I absolutely could not think of a more disappointing game this year.

I can easily think of Epic Yarn and BlazBlue CS. Just off my head.

Foffy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

I don't mean to come off as somebody on a high horse here but why were your hypes so high for the game anyway? Looking at the previous pedigree of 3D Castlevania games they barely hit the halfway mark more associated with the 2D games when it came to quality and greatness. They were average 3D romps, and almost entirely insignificant to the other titles around. I was expecting more of the same, but something I as a Castlevania fan could find something to like, and I was surprised that it was not only an enjoyable Castlevania game, but a good 3D action game in general.

Top Bottom