• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

JohngPR

Getting back on the horse after taking a break from the game, no thanks to TFU 2, Enslaved, and NBA 2K11. :p

I beat Chapter VIII and it was a pretty epic boss fight.

I had a harder time with the first boss fight in the chapter because I started out with only half of my life bar and I was trying to save my Crystal up, but I ended up using it when I died a few times.

Luckily, the end of the chapter boss was a bit easier to deal with for me.

gunstarhero

Just finished it - really awesome take on the CV franchise, with some flaws like the camera. But all is forgiven after seeing that ending! :D

did I miss something? How is Zobek still alive? OMG I hope the sequel stays in modern times!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
gunstarhero said:
Just finished it - really awesome take on the CV franchise, with some flaws like the camera. But all is forgiven after seeing that ending! :D

did I miss something? How is Zobek still alive? OMG I hope the sequel stays in modern times!

Zobek was never truly executed ala the first two Lords of Shadow - his power wasn't extracted from his body and Gabriel didn't take his ability. Being that he's Death, we can only assume he regenerated eventually.

Kaijima said:
Zobek was never truly executed ala the first two Lords of Shadow - his power wasn't extracted from his body and Gabriel didn't take his ability. Being that he's Death, we can only assume he regenerated eventually.

He isn't actually Death. You know that, right?

Fimbulvetr said:
He isn't actually Death. You know that, right?

That part is unnecessarily confusing. Gabriel realizes his identity with the same phrasing and inflection you'd expect from someone who thought he just killed the third Lord of Shadow and also uses the word Lord. Plus the cutscene at the end makes it seem like he is Death pairing together with Dracula.

ShockingAlberto said:
That part is unnecessarily confusing. Gabriel realizes his identity with the same phrasing and inflection you'd expect from someone who thought he just killed the third Lord of Shadow and also uses the word Lord. Plus the cutscene at the end makes it seem like he is Death pairing together with Dracula.

They are trying to associate him with Death, but unlike his canon counterpart(who actually IS death) he is just a(admittedly powerful) necromancer.

The fact that there is apparently no consensus about it DOES NOT MEAN IT IS GOOD WRITING, MERCURY STEAM.

I could teach a class about how this game is bad storytelling.

Fuck the last boss's area rings when he gets stunned, I had to turn the difficulty down, the entire game I got through in hard and on the last boss I caved in.
ShockingAlberto said:
The fact that there is apparently no consensus about it DOES NOT MEAN IT IS GOOD WRITING, MERCURY STEAM.

I could teach a class about how this game is bad storytelling.
I don't see why there's any confusion,
for all intents and purposes Zobek is man turned Death, before him there was no personification of the grim reaper, just like there were no werewolves before Cornell.

Ledsen

ShockingAlberto said:
I disagree with the feeling of impact, actually.

A lot of time it felt like you were just blowing air on to enemies, especially swordmasters, who took your hits like they were nothing.

Not if you do parry combos.

wouwie

At some point in chapter 2
finding the crystal shards
, the game tells me that i need to upgrade my combat cross to activate a certain switch. Not sure what to do here. Need i go back to earlier levels to do that?

jett

D-Member
wouwie said:
At some point in chapter 2
finding the crystal shards
, the game tells me that i need to upgrade my combat cross to activate a certain switch. Not sure what to do here. Need i go back to earlier levels to do that?

It leads to a room with a bonus upgrade, you'll get the combat cross upgrade to access it later in the game, you don't need to go there now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How do you beat that trial where you have to beat the
crow witch with only killing 2 of her kids?
I mash R2 and spin the stick like crazy, which is apparently the way you have to complete this, but 1 or 2 always manage to hatch.

stolin

I finished the game this weekend (14 hours) , found all the collectables, and still have some Trials & Paladin left (20 hours total so far). There's enough content & challenge for a purchase.

I didn't have any issues with the platforming, seemed pretty straight forward and I liked that only the first starting marker was highllighted, unlike PoP where every point is obvious. Sure I made a few bad jumps or falls, but that's the exploration and the checkpoints are friendly. Camera didn't bother me like some describe, sure it's odd sometimes in combat but then it pays off visually.

I liked the combat. I've played every combat action game and Castlevania holds it's own. The balance between Light & Dark usage was great.

The art direction, vistas, lighting & effects, etc.. all spectacular. At the end it wasn't a traditional Castlevania game, I see Lord of the Rings everywhere, but it leans enough to the Goth & Lore of Castlevania as a series & timeline reboot for me.

I can't wait for the sequel. Now that this base game is down I really want to see how they blend in more traditional Castlevania elements.

Great game with issues for people looking for them, it's not perfect but don't linger just play.

Rolf NB

Holding down L3 to absorb orbs=fail. Can't even pick them up when I walk right through them. You, whoever had this idea and had it implemented, are a buffoon. Get the fuck out.

And is the right stick seriously not going to be used for anything, ever? WHY NOT PUT THE EVASIVE ROLL THERE?

So I've murdered my second spider. And a couple straggling wolf kids that I actually couldn't see against the dark backdrops. Faced with two equally nondescript ways forward, I took the left one -- it later turns out that the right one is the more efficient way through the level, thanks all. A chasm! So I hop up the right wall to grab onto the rock, ok.

Now lo and behold, three different types of jump mechanics to use to cross one and the same fucking chasm.
1)A jump backwards off the wall to the next handhold. Do not push the stick anywhere, just press X. In fact, if you hold backwards, Gabriel will drop down into the chasm.
2)A jump sideways across some breach in the handhold. Press left and hold X.
3)A drop down from the handhold. Push down on the stick. Do not push X. In fact, if you do push X, because this game has fucking dial-in platforming, Gabriel will drop down to the floor and then immediately JUMP BACKWARDS INTO THE CHASM.

GODDAMN.

On a more general note, the attack cues for the unblockable attacks are terrible. I really had hoped it was only the big werewolf things near the start that would use this nasal "woosh" sound plus white glow in mouth as their main cue. I want a picture of my face the moment it came up again on the big spiders for the first time. And AGAIN on the goblin papa.

This game gives me a whole new level of appreciation for the God Of War series.

MrMephistoX

Have to say that the game finally picked up after the Land of the Lycans. Slow burn but it's finally feeling like a Castlevania game and I love it!

Rolf NB said:
This game gives me a whole new level of appreciation for the God Of War series.

I was in the same boat the first few chapters have so so level design and a disturbing lack of enemy variety. In fact, I honestly didn't believe it could get better but it does right around the point mentioned above. It's a game worth sticking with but Castlevania really suffers from a lackluster opening and beyond much like FFXIII.

Rolf NB

By golly, now they've introduced another rope mechanic: I can swing left and right. Except a minute later I can't. But to make up for that, I now jump off ropes automatically, no more pressing X! But wait, that only lasts for a couple times. At least good old reliable "hold down and X to drop from the rope" is back. My favourite mechanic in the entire game, for real.

The writing is taking a real shit dive as well. I mean if you have to spell out "labyrinthine maze" something just ain't right with your prose.

I think I'm done here.

giggas

Rolf NB said:
By golly, now they've introduced another rope mechanic: I can swing left and right. Except a minute later I can't. But to make up for that, I now jump off ropes automatically, no more pressing X! But wait, that only lasts for a couple times. At least good old reliable "hold down and X to drop from the rope" is back. My favourite mechanic in the entire game, for real.

The writing is taking a real shit dive as well. I mean if you have to spell out "labyrinthine maze" something just ain't right with your prose.

I think I'm done here.

Stick with it.

Reading your posts I was feeling exactly how you felt, but about halfway through all the mechanics suddenly click with me and I ended up loving the rest of the game. I even appreciated the first few stages when I went back to them.

The game forces you to learn a lot up front. I was personally getting confused and forgetting things and what have you. But it comes together.

Just hang in there. If you don't love it by the time you're in the castle then yeah, maybe you should bail out.

Rolf NB said:

I think I'm done here.

Have you ever played a game before? The jump off rope automatically mechanic is there to block the player from back tracking for loading purposes just like most games have large walls to jump down, or doors that lock behind you. WHOOPIDY DOO!

Also this game has invisible walls to keep you on a set path. Of course you're not always going to be allowed to swing left and right. If you were and jumped to an area that isn't playable you'd jump to your death and complain to GAF about that instead.

Rolf NB

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Have you ever played a game before? The jump off rope automatically mechanic is there to block the player from back tracking for loading purposes just like most games have large walls to jump down, or doors that lock behind you. WHOOPIDY DOO!

Also this game has invisible walls to keep you on a set path. Of course you're not always going to be allowed to swing left and right. If you were and jumped to an area that isn't playable you'd jump to your death and complain to GAF about that instead.
Yes I have played gaem before, turns out most of them were better.

There is no issue with backtracking fucking up the loading in this game. Stop making shit up plz.

In any competently designed game the dude would at least look to the side to show that the input has been acknowledged, even if swinging around was prohibited in a specific instance.
The traversal here feels like Wario Ware. Press some buttons. No rules. Always go in fresh.

Danneee

Damn this game is making it hard for me to like it.
Hated the first colossus boss, the timing and animations are way off which made it hard as hell as I kept falling off. And got totally lost in the spider level
. I guess it gets better by chapter 3 then? At least that seems to be the general consensus. And no more of this silly nonsense?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Danneee said:
Damn this game is making it hard for me to like it.
Hated the first colossus boss, the timing and animations are way off which made it hard as hell as I kept falling off. And got totally lost in the spider level
. I guess it gets better by chapter 3 then? At least that seems to be the general consensus. And no more of this silly nonsense?

The game gets a LOT fucking better. A LOT.

I also find it super strange that the first Lord of Shadow is the hardest. I'll never understand that.

Danneee

thetrin said:
The game gets a LOT fucking better. A LOT.

I also find it super strange that the first Lord of Shadow is the hardest. I'll never understand that.

Wait, what? Was that the first Lord of Shadows?

Nice to hear it gets better, I need all the motivation I can muster to get me through to chapter 3 it seems.

JohngPR

Who's genius idea was it to put three of those Coffin guys in the Titan Graveyard level? I must've died 9-10 times now. No fucking way can I beat them with no light magic and only half of my health. Fucking ridiculous.

Any tips? I'm about to give up for a while and try it again later.

EDIT: Had forgotten about the spot that fills up your holy water....maybe that will help. LOL

giggas

JohngPR said:
Who's genius idea was it to put three of those Coffin guys in the Titan Graveyard level? I must've died 9-10 times now. No fucking way can I beat them with no light magic and only half of my health. Fucking ridiculous.

EDIT: Had forgotten about the spot that fills up your holy water....maybe that will help. LOL

Had trouble there too. But yeah, spam the shit out of those guys with holy water. Also, do you have the move where you can jump into the air, charger your gauntlet and slam into the ground? Pretty sure that helped me there too.

JohngPR said:

That part was one of the most frustrating parts of the game for me.

Not because it's unbeatable (you can refill holy water and you only need a second of light magic to use the barrier spell), but because it exposed a really broken checkpointing system.

So in order to get to that part, you need to defeat the ENTIRELY HIDDEN cave of coffin creepers and then head back to the titan corpse. But on the way back, you see a scroll (necessary for 100% completion) and a bag of holy water on the far right side. You do that, head back to the Titan, drop in the key, head across the arm, jump on the ledge, die against the coffin creepers.

Okay. Fair enough. I died, I'll try again.

Except the last fucking checkpoint WAS AT THE CAVE. So I have to get the scrolls again, get the holy waters again, jump all the way back to the keyhole, put in the key, go across the arm, and fight them again.

Why the hell didn't it just checkpoint after I put the key in? Why did I have to skip a cutscene every single time?

Castlevania is good proof against the idea that games are usually made sequentially, because goddamn there are some amateur decisions late in the game.

The really hard part from Titan Graveyard, and one of the biggest flaws of the game, was the damn level layout, the coffin dudes were easy compared to figuring out your bearings.
Oh and fuck the damn rings on the final boss, at least the moving ones gave me some room to run around.

JohngPR

ShockingAlberto said:
Except the last fucking checkpoint WAS AT THE CAVE. So I have to get the scrolls again, get the holy waters again, jump all the way back to the keyhole, put in the key, go across the arm, and fight them again.

Why the hell didn't it just checkpoint after I put the key in? Why did I have to skip a cutscene every single time?

I think that's what made it so frustrating. What's the point of making us have to go across and put the key in? If it check pointed when you put the key in, it wouldn't have been nearly as annoying.

.la1n

I never had a problem with the pressing analog sticks to get orbs but I do agree it would have been a better game design to just have them absorb into you the same as god of war, devil may cry, and every other orb involved game in existence.

As for the titans, I never had a problem with them and thought they were kind of fun actually, I think if they had not made you spam R2 (PS3) so much then it would have been more enjoyable. The later bosses make up for it however.

JohngPR

Holy crap the
Dracolih Titan
fight is as epic as it is annoying. What gets me is that a few times it did the grip thing in succession which caught me by surprise, causing me to fall. Sooooo annoying. LOL

This boss is taking forever for me to beat.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I bought the PS3 version more recently (after updates), and I haven't had any hiccups, frame issues, or glitches. It's been a super smooth, really enjoyable ride. I'm on Chapter 8 so far.

JohngPR said:
Holy crap the
Dracolih Titan
fight is as epic as it is annoying. What gets me is that a few times it did the grip thing in succession which caught me by surprise, causing me to fall. Sooooo annoying. LOL

This boss is taking forever for me to beat.
Yeah. That boss didn't even really attack you. It was just annoying, not fun or difficult.

Princess Skittles said:
So has the 360 version been patched (or did it even need it)?

The only patch so far has been for the PS3 save glitch, which obviously didn't affect the 360. I don't think any of the 360 particular complaints like the slight stutter when you kill an enemy have been addressed. Not positive though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Hmm, the friend I spoke too was mentioning things like falling through floors and other bugs, nothing about a save glitch.

Maybe I should get more details from her, she was pretty adamant about trashing the game on these issues.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
.la1n said:
I never had a problem with the pressing analog sticks to get orbs but I do agree it would have been a better game design to just have them absorb into you the same as god of war, devil may cry, and every other orb involved game in existence.

As for the titans, I never had a problem with them and thought they were kind of fun actually, I think if they had not made you spam R2 (PS3) so much then it would have been more enjoyable. The later bosses make up for it however.

I think some folks have missed that the controlled absorbing of orbs is required for their light/dark magic system to work.

You have to decide which form of magic you want to refill. Can't automatically absorb the orbs due to that; gotta differentiate.

FYI, Ninja Gaiden also doesn't have automatic energy drops absorption due to its tactical use of yellow orbs (for finishing moves), so it's not unprecedented in the genre.

Also, some folks may have missed that you don't have to hold down an absorb button until all the orbs are sucked up; you can click and go and they'll follow you.

Having said that, I do think it was a bit too picky a decision to also force you to be in relatively short proximity to orbs to absorb them. I think it would have worked better if a click of light or dark absorb would suck in all the currently floating orbs everywhere on the battlefield. It especially becomes a problem when you're farming a big jackpot of focus orbs and many of them end up strew randomly across the entire area due to where that enemy died.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I believe my 360 downloaded an update for it a while back. No idea what it did. Perhaps some frame rate polish. Purely guessing. I honestly don't know what it did. My save files have been fine.

Kaijima said:
You have to decide which form of magic you want to refill. Can't automatically absorb the orbs due to that; gotta differentiate.

Or you can do both.

Speaking of which, does doing both reduce your magic recovery rate? If not that's a pretty huge oversight

Peff

Fimbulvetr said:
Speaking of which, does doing both reduce your magic recovery rate? If not that's a pretty huge oversight

It does, even when one of them is full, I think.

Hmm, the friend I spoke too was mentioning things like falling through floors and other bugs, nothing about a save glitch.

Maybe I should get more details from her, she was pretty adamant about trashing the game on these issues.

I haven't seen many people complaining about this kind of bugs and I myself had none on 13/14 hours, but there are a few weird design decisions that might look like them. For example, when you are hanging from the whip and need to go down, there's no visible hard-coded limit to how much you can go. If you keep going, you fall and have to repeat that section again. The way jumping works when Gabriel is clinging on something can also be a bit weird.

Top Bottom