• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

I think playing through Knight on your first playthrough is the best way of learning the game. You also kinda feel like a badass when you're parrying everything. :D

I hate those cloaked guys with the swords though. Ugh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DarknessTear said:
I think playing through Knight on your first playthrough is the best way of learning the game. You also kinda feel like a badass when you're parrying everything. :D

I hate those cloaked guys with the swords though. Ugh.

They're infinitely easier once you realize the key to beating them. After that they're little puppy dogs.

Wizpig

Unfortunately, i (ending spoilers) saw the
ending Dracula twist coming, aswell as "Zobek is villainish"
quite early in the game, and was not mind-blown by it.

My favorite chapters are those in the castle, so fucking good.
DLC = day-one.

Kaldea

I still can't get over the artwork for this game. If I could buy a FULL (not the tiny LE book) hardcover LoS artbook for a high price, I would in a second. :D The style of it just makes me want to weep out of joy.

D6AMIA6N said:
Dudes! Amazon has PS3 LE for $39.99! Get on this!

I didn't like the LE. At all. It was pretty terrible. For anal people who like to stack their games side by side on a shelf, it was a nightmare. The actual packaging is nothing to write home about either. An incomplete soundtrack, a half-assed art book, and so on. Even I, a big Castlevania fan and fan of this game, didn't find any value whatsoever in the LE.

D6AMIA6N

brandonh83 said:
I didn't like the LE. At all. It was pretty terrible. For anal people who like to stack their games side by side on a shelf, it was a nightmare. The actual packaging is nothing to write home about either. An incomplete soundtrack, a half-assed art book, and so on. Even I, a big Castlevania fan and fan of this game, didn't find any value whatsoever in the LE.

But still a good price for this game wouldn't you say? Tried demo and was impressed, saw deal today and bought.

Violater

Really not liking the fact that
1. i have to stop and absorb the orbs myself and
2. that they disappear after a while.
Also what is a quick way to tell what attacks are blockable and which are not.

D6AMIA6N said:
But still a good price for this game wouldn't you say? Tried demo and was impressed, saw deal today and bought.

Oh, sure. The LE packaging is pretty, at least from the outside. But yeah the game is the game, and that's a good price for it.

Dever

Banned
Violater said:
Really not liking the fact that
1. i have to stop and absorb the orbs myself and
2. that they disappear after a while.
Also what is a quick way to tell what attacks are blockable and which are not.

The most obvious way to tell that an attack is unblockable is that brief flash and the *woosh* sound. This is not very useful however. With many enemies, the flash comes too late to react to it, at least for me. A much better thing to keep in mind is that if an enemy starts blocking your attacks, it's next attack will be unblockable.

Violater

This sucks
why did Claudia have to die and me end up having to fight the black night now
I'm suddenly put off a bit by where this is headed.

this games beauty is not commented on enough, shame on you gaf

Played the demo on PS3, found it to be completely enjoyable, looked on Amazon.com and found that right now the PS3 Limited Edition is available for $40. For some reason the regular edition is coming up as $45. I think you guys can guess which version I ended up buying. :lol

dankir

Violater said:
This sucks
why did Claudia have to die and me end up having to fight the black night now
I'm suddenly put off a bit by where this is headed.

this games beauty is not commented on enough, shame on you gaf

That's nothing, continue with the whole story :) It gets darker!

Violater

dankir said:
That's nothing, continue with the whole story :) It gets darker!

Well I got the holywater
by taking it from the abbot and letting him die
I didn't see much of a problem there. Though the narrator went out of his way to say how much he deserved it.

I am on chapter 7 and really enjoying the game so far, the pace of the fighting is just right for me. Dare I say more than I did GOW3 or Bayonetta, much better story and character development so far.

Orodreth

i´m on chapter VII too and enjoying it a lot so far. Playing it on Normal and it really isnt difficult at all.

I like the magic system combined with how you need to focus on combat to be able to replenish your health.

And the visuals and art are gorgeous. The ost is one of the best i´ve heard in a long time.

Well after two looooooooong agonizing months of waiting I finally got this game yesterday for Xmas.

I'm loving every second of this (yes even chapters 1&2). Though
Cornell
was a real bitch.
His second form kept two shooting me.

Violater said:
I loved that fight, might want to fix your spoiler though :D
lol stealth edit
I just kept going in circles around him.
Hey atleast you didn't feel stupid for forgetting how to spoil tag something :lol

Speaking of beauty, The shot at the end of 5-1 is beautiful. Yeah I know it was in the e3 trailer but it's still awesome.

I also noticed that the gremlin enemies in that stage are wearing winter clothing :lol

Neuromancer said:
How hard would you guys say this game is? I'm interested in it but I'm not that good at GoW type games. I was thinking about playing it on easy. Thanks.
The game's difficulty almost entirely comes from hitbox jank.

If you can compensate for that, it's a pretty simple walk in the park.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

So I'm in Wygol fighting ghouls. I start pulling down the first statue over the hole. There are three ghouls next to me who popped out of the hole just as I pull the statue down and it crushes them

Violater said:
I would say even better than GOW3 in some areas.

Without question. God of War III had a lot of the same stuff we'd seen in prior installments, and the last third of the game was like looking at a cardboard box.

GOW3, again, is technically superior to Castlevania in terms of aliasing, framerate, etc. And to some people, that can be superior to art direction, but not to me.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I had my issues with this game on the hard mode (Paladin?), but once I got the enough powers, and past the horrible first few bosses, I found my stride.

The game does have some daft moments and many minor problems, but overall I far preferred the combat gameplay in this over God of War 3. I just found I could flow combat much more intuitively and seemlessly in this game, and the downward air-dodge (Hold L, press Jump while in mid-air) was massively useful during big fights.

I really am looking forward to the next one. It's clear they can take a lot of learned lessons from this and apply them to a far superior product.

Violater

brandonh83 said:
Without question. God of War III had a lot of the same stuff we'd seen in prior installments, and the last third of the game was like looking at a cardboard box.

GOW3, again, is technically superior to Castlevania in terms of aliasing, framerate, etc. And to some people, that can be superior to art direction, but not to me.

So far I would say my only complaint is that I am yet to come across any real dark and eerie areas. But it's still early on I suppose.

Popped this back in again. I was further than I thought, completed up to chapter 11-1. Did a few trials to get into the swing of things again
not the Titan speed runs yet
, beat 11-2 and found the last Shadow gem, which was a real pain in the arse, it was the one in the
2nd Titan battle

1 chapter to go (not including beating all the trials and finishing everything on the highest difficulty, but hey those will be a walk in the park, surely?).

BeeDog

Finished the game the other day. A mini-review (I doubt people will agree with me, but whatever):

Pros:

+ The art direction is incredible. I'd say this team has some of the best artists currently in the business. While some enemies looked retarded, ALL the environments were amazing, and the animation was top-notch.
+ The graphics engine is also great, despite it performing sub-par often and its lack of AA. Some cutscenes seriously looked pre-rendered, most notably the scenes in Baba Yaga's hut.
+ It's a lengthy game, which is good value for the money. This combined with the extreme variation in environments helps a lot.
+ The difficulty level on Normal is good; not too easy and not too frustrating. The earlier parts were much harder than later parts of the game.
+ The combat engine is pretty solid, and the light/dark mechanic is sweet. Adds some strategy to most fights.
+ Good puzzles. Not too hard, and some novel ideas. I'm pleasantly surprised by the actual amount of puzzles, to be quite honest.
+ The voice acting is generally very good, despite severe issues with the script.

Cons:

- The game is badly paced. While the length of the game helps in the sense that they get to show off their fantastic artists, the gameplay does not vary enough. Also, the earlier chapters are faaaaaaaaaaaar too long, and some of the later chapters are too short, especially when you actually get to an amazing-looking environment.
- The dead serious story and the script is the worst tripe I've experienced in a while. The narration is horrible and explains events and character growth that is not reflected at all in-game. Gabriel is supposed to turn into a shell of his former self as the game chugs along, but he still seems to be the same (personality-less) character throughout the game. And some of the twists at the end are horrible (SPOILERS:
Either I did not pay enough attention, or the final end boss was not telegraphed well at all and appeared out of fucking nowhere
).
- Gabriel is incredibly boring and totally devoid of any character growth. Doesn't help that Carlyle barely talks throughout the game. Even Gordon Freeman, a mute character, has more personality than Gabriel.
- The controls are finnicky and really fuck up several of the platforming sequences. The lack of control while wing-jumping + some horrible camera angles is a sure way of inducing irritation.

Overall, it's a solid game, but some of the cons are too sever for me to totally love this game. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a weak 7/10 or something.

Wooh, and beaten. I thought the final boss was quite easy, then I realised I'd turned the difficulty right down whilst doing some trials. Oh well.

Modern day twist. I guess it'll be interesting to see what they do with, if they get a sequel, but I guess it's not that much of a twist in vampire stories anymore.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Wooh, and beaten. I thought the final boss was quite easy, then I realised I'd turned the difficulty right down whilst doing some trials. Oh well.

Don't worry. The final boss is still easy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If this game had GoW3's framerate and fixed enemy attack hit boxes, it'd be one of the finest games of this generation.

Fimbulvetr said:
Don't worry. The final boss is still easy.

That's good to know.

Just did the Dead Bog again for the first time with the Seraph Wings, I did enjoy clearing most bogs with one double jump. I do agree with BeeDog though, the controls while using the wings could do with being less finnicky.

Violater said:
Wish I even know what that meant :lol

Quite a bit of Cornell's "difficulty" comes from the fact that some of his attack boxes are completely inconsistent with his animations. The result being that he can hit you before he actually hits you.

A good number of other enemies have this problem but it's most noticeable on Cornell.

Violater

Fimbulvetr said:
Quite a bit of Cornell's "difficulty" comes from the fact that some of his attack boxes are completely inconsistent with his animations. The result being that he can hit you before he actually hits you.

A good number of other enemies have this problem but it's most noticeable on Cornell.

Ahhh I have seen this happen, it is usually followed by loud profanity :lol

Chapter 10 spoiler holy shit the fucking
silver warrior boss fight is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in a video game

:(

soldat7

Wow. Nearing the end of Chapter 1 (Ice Titan) and wow, what a game. Loving every second of it so far. I love the SotC feel of this boss fight.

Violater

soldat7 said:
Wow. Nearing the end of Chapter 1 (Ice Titan) and wow, what a game. Loving every second of it so far. I love the SotC feel of this boss fight.

That is an amazing sequence indeed and the game gets better :)

Final sequence :/

Final Final Sequence :O

The game wasn't in my "List to Buy" games... I wasn't even excited about it or thinking of getting it.

But the praise my friends and gaf has given to this game made me buying it today and now playing trough Chapter 2.

Very enjoyable indeed and I can't wait to see what the game has to offer me in the upcoming chapters .

Konami... Just please make sure that every upcoming Castlevania game is following this one path, in 2 hours only I enjoyed this more than the two Castlevania was released on the PS2 .

Kai Dracon

soldat7 said:

I'm glad to see someone actually likes the SotC style bosses rather than sneering that "OMG it's imitating SotC what trash this game suckssss". I enjoyed the SotC battles myself for what they were. Also didn't think they were hard or frustrating outside of bearing in mind the game's hitbox problem.

Kai Dracon

Fimbulvetr said:

I'm making a Paladin run on the game and actually enjoying the challenge now that I'm powered up and know how to play well. But the hitbox thing is just perverse and much like the framerate problem, makes me believe Mercurysteam just wasn't done. Konami wanted this out for Christmas instead of say, March 2011.

Animations not matching hit boxes would be something ticketed out by QA testing on the first pass, but it is like they didn't have time to fix it.

Just about to get back into this. What's a better idea - playing straight through in a fairly linear fashion, or cleaning up each set of levels to make sure I've got everything before I move on?

badcrumble said:
Just about to get back into this. What's a better idea - playing straight through in a fairly linear fashion, or cleaning up each set of levels to make sure I've got everything before I move on?

A lot of the items and trials require upgrades that you get later in the game, so I'd say just push on, until you've got those (you should be able to tell if you are missing anything by looking at the Items page). It'll save backtracking through a level for a gem or sub weapon upgrade only to find you still can't access it.

Die Squirrel Die said:
A lot of the items and trials require upgrades that you get later in the game, so I'd say just push on, until you've got those (you should be able to tell if you are missing anything by looking at the Items page). It'll save backtracking through a level for a gem or sub weapon upgrade only to find you still can't access it.
Is there any particular point in the game at which it DOES make a lot of sense to backtrack? Any particular powerup that REALLY opens everything up?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kaijima said:
I'm glad to see someone actually likes the SotC style bosses rather than sneering that "OMG it's imitating SotC what trash this game suckssss". I enjoyed the SotC battles myself for what they were. Also didn't think they were hard or frustrating outside of bearing in mind the game's hitbox problem.
I don't mind that they are obvious "homages," they are just poorly done. They last too long and gabriel moves with the grace of a Whomp. And the game gives you (sometimes) confusing hint cues.

badcrumble said:
Is there any particular point in the game at which it DOES make a lot of sense to backtrack? Any particular powerup that REALLY opens everything up?

I'm trying to remember exactly, but IIRC you should have everything you need by the end of chp 9/start of chp 10.

BeeDog

badcrumble said:

When you get the "angel wings"/double jump.

Top Bottom