• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Henchmen21 said:
Anyone have any tips on doing the Fire Cemetery trial? It says to get 20 zombies in one aerial move but the most I can get is 8.

Way I did it: cast a holy water shield and just stand in the middle of a pack til more and more spawn. When the shield's gone I usually stand around even longer to let more zombies gather round. Then do an area attack to weaken the zombies and press jump 2 times to activate the wings. Because you've softened them up, a large amount will die in the air. I got 20 after trying this a few times.

There may be an even easier way though :p

I did it on Squire and just let them gather around (you can take tons of hits from them at that difficulty) then Triangle, X (to send them into the air), then hold Triangle again. It might take a few goes but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I'm down to my last 4 trials and about a dozen levels to Paladin and then a shiny platinum trophy will be mine and a nice bit of a breather before the DLC.

venom2124

I'm really loving this game so far. Beautiful art direction and music. I'm up to Cornell, but am going back and collecting some gems I missed because I keep getting my ass handed to me. Which brings ne to my major complaint. Every boss so far has an annoying ground pound. When I'm fighting up close I always roll dodge out of their attacks, but as far as I can tell, the player can't jump cancel a roll to avoid the ground pound. I find that extremely irritating. Other than that, I just wish Gabriel controlled as tight and responsive as Kratos.

PooBone

Alright so..... is the first piece of DLC gonna be set at the end of the game? Sounds like it's something else because they point out that the second DLC continues the story? ???

Just got this game for Christmas, and as soon as I beat Enslaved I'm gonna dive into it.

venom2124

Die Squirrel Die said:
Ground pound bosses are awesome, it's basically an excuse to wreck them with a Guillotine which also has the benefit of pretty much filling your focus gauge.
Another reason I'm going through some earlier levels again. I never upgraded the guillotine. Never realized how useful it is.

MrMephistoX

hamchan said:
Watching the credits roll down the screen. The end was both epic and cheesy. Pretty darn good game, liked it more than GoW3.

Robert Carlyle was Gabriel wtf.
Loved it at times but on the whole it's inconsistent. Hopefully the level designers of the castle, mountaintop, and last bit of the necromancer sections are going to work on the dlc. Whoever thought wargs and werewolves only for the first few hours was a fine gameplay choice needs to be chain whipped.

Minamu

PooBone said:
Alright so..... is the first piece of DLC gonna be set at the end of the game? Sounds like it's something else because they point out that the second DLC continues the story? ???

Just got this game for Christmas, and as soon as I beat Enslaved I'm gonna dive into it.
First dlc will continue directly after the game and the second one will most likely be like a prequel to the sequel :) You should stay away from info on the second dlc until you've at least beaten the game or you'll spoil the real ending which is probably the coolest thing story-wise of 2010.

The third titan was a terrible platforming level in a game renown for terrible platforming.

But I assume most of the end of the game was being rushed, anyway.

aparisi2274

ArachosiA 78 said:
This is just a huge disgrace to the Castlevania legacy.

Not for nothing, but this game is much, much better than both of the 3D offerings on the PS2 (Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness) as well as the craptastic 3D offerings on the N64.

If you want to lay blame on games that disgrace the Castlevania Legacy, I would start with those.

Haeleos

People extolling this game's combat over God of War's and likening the boss fight's to Shadow of the Colossus' makes my head hurt.

Haeleos said:
People extolling this game's combat over God of War's and likening the boss fight's to Shadow of the Colossus' makes my head hurt.

Well it's easy to see the comparisons to SOTC. It's just strange that it's compared favorably.

hamchan

Haeleos said:
I see nothing wrong with preferring this game's combat system over GoW's. It's not like GoW has the most in depth combat system ever seen in the action genre.

Also the SotC comparisons are extremely apt and it would be very weird if you can't see it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Haeleos said:

God of War is fun. It's extremely accessible.

But it also isn't very tech. You can make yourself play it that way, but it's created depth, not inherent.

LoS makes you use advanced shit (on the two hardest difficulties) or die. Hell, half the complaints about its frustrations come from the fact that you cannot button mash God of War style and survive, and this is marred by the screwed up hit boxes on a few key bosses and enemies, making that tech combat harder than it should be.

God of War makes anyone feel like a bad ass, and if that works for you, no problem.

I played God of War III after Lords of Shadow, and I felt like I was sleep walking through the entire game.

Lords of Shadow though, is the only western designed combat game I've played that makes a serious run at a Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden, or Bayonetta. Its superficial combat is taken somewhat from the God of War mold, but under the hood it has little in common with GoW.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got this for Christmas and im going to be starting it soon...

This game wins the award for worst game manual in recent memory. What is it like 2 pages? And the Engrish on the 1st page was also a nice touch..

"Table of Contents"
"Start You Game"

soldat7

Haeleos said:

My 2 cents:

Is the combat as good as the combat of God of War? No.
Are the titan fights as good as the colossus fights of SotC? No.
Are they both still pretty darn good and somewhat evocative in Castlevania? Yes.

jett

D-Member
The titan battles in LoS are awful. There's no other way to put it. Anyone comparing them favorably to SotC is out of his mind.

The combat on the other hand is pretty good, it's different from GoW and DMC in that it's primarily defensive. The combos have a really nice, satisfying rhythm to them, and changing from dark to light is a pretty fun mechanic. If only this game ran at 60fps, hell a stable 30fps would be nice. I just played through the PC version of Darksiders at 60fps and it's such a monumental upgrade from the PS3 demo I played some time ago.

Sydle

Combat in LoS is so much more engaging and fun than GoW. I'd have to agree that the titan battles aren't as good as SotC, but they aren't that far off either.

D6AMIA6N

Just got the PS3 LE in the mail yesterday for $40 from Amazon. Have to agree with brandonh83, the LE packaging is shit. However the game itself is gorgeous. I think the game is awesome so far, love the art, setting, enemies etc., but my expectations were extremely low to begin with so I've been pleasently surprised. However, Captain Picard's soliloquies have already become tedious to listen to. :lol

soldat7

D6AMIA6N said:
However, Captain Picard's soliloquies have already become tedious to listen to. :lol

He's not that terrible, especially when you compare his performance with other video game voice acting out there, but it's pretty dry and wooden.

Ledsen

Haeleos said:

Aside from the amateur hit box failures, this game's combat is way better than God of War's.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Paco said:
Combat in LoS is so much more engaging and fun than GoW.

Yeah, you can pretty much button mash your way through GoWs. Not so here, unless you want to die 1000 times.

So I'm going through my Paladin play through to get those last two achievements and I noticed something. Swordmasters are really susceptible to aerial launchers (Vampires kind of also).

Ledsen

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yeah, they only fucked up one of the most basic elements of a combat system, no big deal.

It's only an issue with a select few of the enemies. If it affected every enemy I'd agree with you.

Oneself

hamchan said:
The end was both epic and cheesy. Pretty darn good game, liked it more than GoW3.

I did enjoy it more than GOW3.. clearly, I was expecting the 3rd God of War to be as good as the 2nd one =(
On the other hand, I was expecting Lords of Shadow to be crap, so I was truly amazed overall! :lol

Indeed, the end was both epic and cheesy; some things aren't clear though.. hopefully the DLC will be worth something!:D

KUFI

Banned
awesome art

resizeof030120111538uuq1.jpg

resizeof030120111531d51e.jpg

resizeof030120111535rnom.jpg

resizeof030120111529muty.jpg

resizeof030120111545467l.jpg

resizeof030120111542o6i2.jpg

resizeof03012011153615ul.jpg

soldat7

Good gosh. 45 minutes and I still can't beat the Stone Titan. Are there any checkpoints on this thing? I take out two runes and die, having to do the whole thing over again. Lame.

Not only that, sometimes the dead body is lit up for the Shadow Gem, and sometimes not. While I love the scale of this fight, it was poorly designed. I bet a lot of people quit the game right here.

soldat7 said:
Good gosh. 45 minutes and I still can't beat the Stone Titan. Are there any checkpoints on this thing? I take out two runes and die, having to do the whole thing over again. Lame.

Not only that, sometimes the dead body is lit up for the Shadow Gem, and sometimes not. While I love the scale of this fight, it was poorly designed. I bet a lot of people quit the game right here.
Checkpoints are either incredibly well thought out or actively antagonistic to the player

There are also some unfortunate middle grounds.

soldat7

ShockingAlberto said:
Checkpoints are either incredibly well thought out or actively antagonistic to the player

There are also some unfortunate middle grounds.

Sheesh. No joke. Just beat the Stone Titan. Fortunately, there's a checkpoint after the third rune. I almost had to turn in my gamer card there.

Nitemare1

I picked this up on a whim yesterday after seeing a single copy of the limited edition at a Walmart. I'm really glad I did.

The thing standing out the most IMHO is the music. It reminds me of the feel of "The Dark Knight" in some places. Makes you feel like you're playing something of a grand scale.

Henchmen21 said:
So I'm going through my Paladin play through to get those last two achievements and I noticed something. Swordmasters are really susceptible to aerial launchers (Vampires kind of also).

I found them such a pain in the arse until I realised that. The aerial combos are great if you can get them to hit. I found the swordmasters incredibly easy to connect with the lift attack, whereas vampires and werewolves would often dodge.

.la1n

Nitemare1 said:
I picked this up on a whim yesterday after seeing a single copy of the limited edition at a Walmart. I'm really glad I did.

The thing standing out the most IMHO is the music. It reminds me of the feel of "The Dark Knight" in some places. Makes you feel like you're playing something of a grand scale.

If you think that now just wait until later.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I found them such a pain in the arse until I realised that. The aerial combos are great if you can get them to hit. I found the swordmasters incredibly easy to connect with the lift attack, whereas vampires and werewolves would often dodge.
Thing is I found that out by accident. I was trying to do a guillotine and accidentally did a rising strike (or whatever it's called). So I tried it on another one and it seemed to work.

I really need to make a list of what I liked and disliked about this game. I'll do it when I get home from work. I will, however, just throw this out there: I fucking hated the colossus battles in this. Those fights were some of the most unfun shit I've ever done in a video game. There are some things in this game that bring its overall quality down to Ninja Gaiden II's level, and that's not good. Some can give Mercurysteam a pass because they're a rookie studio, but I certainly will not. While playing the game, I often wondered if their Q&A detail was simply based on the emphasis of "Is it playable?" as opposed to "Is it fun?" -- I'm pretty sure it's the former.

i don't understand some of the hate, i mean yeh it's not as good as some of the older 2d castlevanias, but as far as the 3d ones, surely its the best one. so if anything it's an improvement at least.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kaijima said:
I'm glad to see someone actually likes the SotC style bosses rather than sneering that "OMG it's imitating SotC what trash this game suckssss". I enjoyed the SotC battles myself for what they were. Also didn't think they were hard or frustrating outside of bearing in mind the game's hitbox problem.
I don't mind the titan battles being similar to SotC, that doesn't make them bad. What DOES make them bad is the terrible camera, coupled with the battles being.. well, not very fun, really. They're really just tedious, bullshit frustrating battles. The titans look cool though.

Smelly Tramp said:
i don't understand some of the hate, i mean yeh it's not as good as some of the older 2d castlevanias, but as far as the 3d ones, surely its the best one. so if anything it's an improvement at least.
Other than Castlevania 64, this is the only 3D Castlevania I've played. Furthermore, I found it difficult to compare this game to other Castlevania games because, to me, it feels nothing like the previous titles. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

Nemesis_

This is hilarious.

I just found a way to beat
Satan
within less than six minutes on Paladin AND complete the trial!

That being said, surely this method has been discovered. >_> It involves Shadow Magic.

Decado

I gotta say I'm finding this game pretty difficult, but not in a satisfying way. Feels cheap and the main character is so damned weak (the attempts at GoW-style mini-boss executions are laughable, as well).

I'm not feelin' it at all. I love GoW, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc. But this game is just annoying me. Is there a good source of info that can help me get a better grasp on combat?

Oh, and those big werewolves are so annoying. Their ground smash attack pisses me off so much. >_<

Decado said:
I gotta say I'm finding this game pretty difficult, but not in a satisfying way. Feels cheap and the main character is so damned weak (the attempts at GoW-style mini-boss executions are laughable, as well).

I'm not feelin' it at all. I love GoW, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc. But this game is just annoying me. Is there a good source of info that can help me get a better grasp on combat?

Oh, and those big werewolves are so annoying. Their ground smash attack pisses me off so much. >_<

The first 3 hours suck. How far are you?

Top Bottom