• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Vitet

andymcc said:
you guys are trying way too hard to discredit IGN, btw.

here is their opinion of a good castlevania.

It can only has one explanation...
5jzqpx.gif

Synless

I don't know why some of you who care about the technical aspect of the game preordered the 360 version knowing the PS3 version was the lead platform. It was obviously going to run better on the lead platform.

andymcc said:
you guys are trying way too hard to discredit IGN, btw.

here is their opinion of a good castlevania.
Where is the "Not sure if serious gif!"

Wow. They gave Lament a 9? But to be fair, Lament is a old game and it had different standards back then. And they gave the superior Curse of Darkness a 7.8.

Not defending IGN, but it just reminds me how much Iga wanted to do a 3D Castlevania and got a lot of flak for never living up to his excellent 2D games' standards. And then Kojima/Mercury Steam makes a awesome 3D Castlevania game and it gets bashed for not being Castlevania enough! :lol

Deware80

Banned
OK, so for someone like me, who has never played a castlevania game, and therefore has no castlevania expectations for this game, would this game be fucking awesome? I know it's definitely not perfect, but I feel like half the reviews are docking points because they keep trying to compare it to old castlevania games, even though it is a new take on the series.

i-Lo

One of those rare instances where the PS3 version is better (with regards to framerate consistency).

Still an achievement whore will go for the 360 version and a trophy whore will advocate for the PS3 version (if the owner is multi-console owner).

Looking at the reviews, it seems like the consecutive Castlevania games should be better. I am going to pick up this one soon, at a discount price.

FrankT

Synless said:
I don't know why some of you who care about the technical aspect of the game preordered the 360 version knowing the PS3 version was the lead platform. It was obviously going to run better on the lead platform.

Wait those 360 only guys( or those who prefer it) shouldn't care about framerate either? Heh well judging the reaction of the PS3 demo I would say they should care just as much. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Synless said:

Obviously they wanted the 2 disc version.

Deware80 said:
OK, so for someone like me, who has never played a castlevania game, and therefore has no castlevania expectations for this game, would this game be fucking awesome?
YES!

Even if you love the series, it'll be awesome. Because at the end, it's still a great game that's awesomely designed and well-made.

And the graphics are looking like one of the best of this gen. And you get your money's worth because the game is long.

It should be praised for these things.

It's certainly much better than Dante's Inferno which was only a 6 hour long game and even a more God of War rip-off than this. Yet IGN gave that the same score, a 7.5.

It's obviously very apparent. Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a great game.

Synless

Jtyettis said:
Wait those 360 only guys( or those who prefer it) shouldn't care about framerate either? Heh well judging the reaction of the PS3 demo I would say they should care just as much. :lol
I was only referring to those with both consoles. It just doesn't make sense, I know I've learned this the hard way over time.

Deware80

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
YES!

Even if you love the series, it'll be awesome. Because at the end, it's still a great game that's awesomely designed and well-made.

And the graphics are looking like one of the best of this gen. And you get your money's worth because the game is long.

It's certainly much better than Dante's Inferno which was only a 6 hour long game and even a more God of War rip-off than this. Yet IGN gave that the same score, a 7.5.

That's what I'm thinking. Instead of judging the game on it's own merits, instead I keep reading how unrelated it is to other castlevania games. There are some valid complaints tho.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
alr1ghtstart said:
So is it LB + stick to dodge on 360? That does not sound comfortable at all.
Left trigger. Exactly the same as Ninja Gaiden duder.

JohngPR said:
Same here.

I tried Castlevania on the NES (dating myself here lol) and didn't like it and I also didn't like Super Castlevania IV but this game looks right up my alley.

I want this or Enslaved so I have to choose between the two. I'm leaning towards Lords of Shadow though. ;)

What about Dracula's Curse or Rondo of Blood? Or even Bloodlines, which is preferred by the odd few?

Vitet said:
That's one more argument to benefit this game. We don't need ANOTHER iteration of a 2D castlevania just transformed to 3D. We have already tons of games to play if we want that.

LOS just gives us SCIV lovers (I love the Metroidvanias too, don't get me wrong) a bit of fresh air to the franchise

Heh. SCV4 was basically a revisiting of the first.

i-Lo

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
YES!

While you are advocating for this game, have you personally played it?

FrankT

I remember when Gamespot did something like that with Elder Scrolls IV. It was great. Literally step by step with Greg K. Chance to ruin too much of the game here though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I remember when Gamespot did something like that with Elder Scrolls IV. It was great. Literally step by step with Greg K.
I watched about 7 hours of it. It was amazing. I even remember their fire alarm going off and they had to stop the stream just as they entered an Oblivion gate. High point of gamespot before it went to shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Some of you need lithium. Everyone acknowledges that ign's writing is completely insipid, marketing garbage and yet some are disappointed when ign shits out a barely-English demonstration of why hooked on phonics does not work for everyone.

FrankT

~Kinggi~ said:
I watched about 7 hours of it. It was amazing. I even remember their fire alarm going off and they had to stop the stream just as they entered an Oblivion gate. High point of gamespot before it went to shit.

I was hooked in that was for sure. :lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Solo said:
Hmmm...seems the early review scores are a bit lower than expected.
It's still averaging 8.5. I'm not sure what you expected.
~Kinggi~ said:
they are playing the 360 version for anyone that is interested in framerates!!
Yeah...not sure I'd use ustream to gauge that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
It's still averaging 8.5. I'm not sure what you expected.

Yeah...not sure I'd use ustream to gauge that.
Yeah it isnt precise, but it will still tell you if you game chugs like a motherfucker in areas if the stream is consistent.

~Kinggi~ said:
they are playing the 360 version for anyone that is interested in framerates!!
Thanks, I'll watch it for a while and see if it looks like it has really bad framerate.

Probably a bit hard to tell with such low resolution :/

~Kinggi~

Banned
ah shit this is getting really spoilery now.

edit: i think im just gonna listen to it mostly for impressions. They are literally showing big bosses. Also, from what i can tell the framerate isnt a disaster. THey are doing some pretty epic stuff right now and things seem relatively smooth. Not a slideshow, basically.

Y2Kev said:
Some of you need lithium. Everyone acknowledges that ign's writing is completely insipid, marketing garbage and yet some are disappointed when ign shits out a barely-English demonstration of why hooked on phonics does not work for everyone.

i want this tattooed on me somewhere word for word.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Joe Shlabotnik said:
To be fair, people were more forgiving of Ninja Gaiden's changes because there was an 11-year break between games. Hardly anybody had any preconceptions. In contrast, a 2D Castlevania game comes out every fifteen minutes or so.

People weren't more forgiving about Ninja Gaiden, people flat-out didn't give a shit about the NES games.
I mean what loser would be sitting & waiting for a direct sequel to a 20 year old NES franchise & then wanting it to be EXACTLY like the NES games :lol

i-Lo

~Kinggi~ said:

edit: i think im just gonna listen to it mostly for impressions. They are literally showing big bosses. Also, from what i can tell the framerate isnt a disaster. THey are doing some pretty epic stuff right now and things seem relatively smooth. Not a slideshow, basically.

Looking at your avatar makes me wonder when will GiantBomb review this game.

Ponn

Banned
20 credit at amazon seems to be gone. They better still give me my credit since i preordered awhile ago. Gonna use that to buy Knights in the Nightmare.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ponn01 said:
20 credit at amazon seems to be gone. They better still give me my credit since i preordered awhile ago. Gonna use that to buy Knights in the Nightmare.
The credit being gone only means you cant get it ordering it now. It is fine if it was there when you preordered.

I don't understand it either. Is this Castlevania really that different than Metroid and Prince of Persia when they went to 3D?

I thought a working 3D Castlevania would be groundbreaking, because it has had such a poor experience with 3D. Only Sonic and MegaMan AAA 3D games would probably be more exciting, I think.

About the PS3 vs 360 Version - Jesus christ. Many people learned the hard way to go for 360 for multiplatform games. Is there some sort of list that keeps tab on which versions are the best to get for each game? Is there like a summery somewhere?

~Kinggi~ said:

Which is why I avoid these videos!

RedAssedApe

Banned
FTWer said:
People weren't more forgiving about Ninja Gaiden, people flat-out didn't give a shit about the NES games.
I mean what loser would be sitting & waiting for a direct sequel to a 20 year old NES franchise & then wanting it to be EXACTLY like the NES games :lol

I can't tell if you're using sarcasm. The NES Ninja Gaiden games were great. Especially Ninja Gaiden II.

Vigilant Walrus said:
About the PS3 vs 360 Version - Jesus christ. Many people learned the hard way to go for 360 for multiplatform games. Is there some sort of list that keeps tab on which versions are the best to get for each game? Is there like a summery somewhere?
I don't think the difference will be that bad, not like Bayonneta bad. I don't think it's even like Red Dead or GTA4.

It's more like Darksiders where the 360 had screen tearing issues. And I think I read that the 360 version looks more colorful and vibrant.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vigilant Walrus said:
I don't understand it either. Is this Castlevania really that different than Metroid and Prince of Persia when they went to 3D?

I thought a working 3D Castlevania would be groundbreaking, because it has had such a poor experience with 3D. Only Sonic and MegaMan AAA 3D games would probably be more exciting, I think.

Digital Foundry does face off comparisons. And lately a lot of developers have started leading on PS3 so this isn't a unique situation.

i-Lo

Vigilant Walrus said:

Well that's a great excuse for a consumer who either doesn't care or is deliberately ignorant or favours one reward system over the other or has access to either of the two consoles.

With matters regarding money, some thought is or should be put into the purchase. It's the individual's responsibility to find out what's the best option for the money.

So, while there is no single place to find a summary of which multiplat game runs better on what, it can certainly be expected of a person to do a bit of research if he/she actually cares about what he/she is getting.

Top Bottom