• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
henhowc said:
I can't tell if you're using sarcasm. The NES Ninja Gaiden games were great. Especially Ninja Gaiden II.

They were great, but no one really cares about them nowadays.

When NG Black & Sigma were released & excluded the original NES trilogy from them, practical no one reviewer bothered mentioning it.

Keikoku

Banned
Kagari said:
Obviously they wanted the 2 disc version.

So much trolling from a mod :lol We ain't reading such posts by you when it's about a 360 game being superior.

Anyway, the IGNorant review is really retarded. "The game is good at what it does, but it's not a 2D Castlevania :( "

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Downloaded the demo, its pretty good, not as good as god of war 3 so far. Having Sir Patrick Steward narrating is quite good.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Keikoku said:
So much trolling from a mod :lol We ain't reading such posts by you when it's about a 360 game being superior.

You mad?

That's because it's usually better on PC anyway, so I don't care! Or I just don't care about the game. Last few games that have been better on 360 I didn't care about like Dead Rising 2 or whatever.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kagari said:
You mad?

That's because it's usually better on PC anyway, so I don't care! Or I just don't care about the game. Last few games that have been better on 360 I didn't care about.

Yeah, but then you have to deal with a PC :\

I'll stick to putting discs in my 360 and having no problems getting it to run. (that's not me trolling PC gaming, I just have terrible luck getting shit to run on PCs in the past)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
thetrin said:
Yeah, but then you have to deal with a PC :\

I'll stick to putting discs in my 360 and having no problems getting it to run. (that's not me trolling PC gaming, I just have terrible luck getting shit to run on PCs in the past)

True. Still waiting for my exploded motherboard replacement to come in :lol

Keikoku

Banned
Kagari said:
You mad?

That's because it's usually better on PC anyway, so I don't care! Or I just don't care about the game. Last few games that have been better on 360 I didn't care about like Dead Rising 2 or whatever.

Or RDR, or Bayonetta... minor games really.
I do most of my multiplatform gaming on PC too, and have this pre-ordered on PS3 since weeks, so no reason to be mad. I don't even know the differences between the two versions honestly, aren't most of the games developped on PS3 lead similar on 360 (except from ports like FFXIII) ?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Keikoku said:
Or RDR, or Bayonetta... minor games really.
I do most of my multiplatform gaming on PC too, and have this pre-ordered on PS3 since weeks, so no reason to be mad. I don't even know the differences between the two versions honestly, aren't most of the games developped on PS3 lead similar on 360 (except from ports like FFXIII) ?

I didn't play RDR or Bayonetta. And as far as differences go, it all depends on the developer. In this game's case, the framerate drops quite a bit on the 360 version. FFXIII's port was just downright sloppy because it wasn't even done by the main team. I don't think that's the case for Castlevania.

jett is here defending the game, sporting an icon, and trashing IGN stupidity. he's like the thread's very own WMD. which is nice because things did get relatively shitty for the last few pages. hopefully that doesn't happen again to that magnitude.

NeoUltima

I like how the air launch is done in the game. You can just throw it into any combo at any time. Much much better than 'hold down triangle' in GoW.

~Kinggi~ said:
The credit being gone only means you cant get it ordering it now. It is fine if it was there when you preordered.

lol i emailed them about the credit yesterday and they went ahead and added it to my account already.

This can't be right - I set up a UK PSN account finally just to grab this demo, and its downloading SO SLOW. The current time is around 860 minutes to finish - which means a little over 14 HOURS??

Did anyone else have this trouble?

Not sure what I think of it.
I reallly really didn't like the fucking glowing talking unicorn.
I'm also kind of put off by the offscreen enemies and the way they handle the combat quicktime events with the concentric circles.

Pooya

brandonh83 said:
jett is here defending the game, sporting an icon, and trashing IGN stupidity. he's like the thread's very own WMD. which is nice because things did get relatively shitty for the last few pages. hopefully that doesn't happen again to that magnitude.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| What a Horrible Thread to Have a Curse

Simo

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| What a Horrible Thread to Have a 7.5 Curse.

Anyways I just switched up my preorder from 360 to PS3. Some minor framerate issues wouldn't of bothered me but IGN points out the game actually freezes to performing a certain move on the 360 while the PS3 version runs flawlessly.

This can't be right - I set up a UK PSN account finally just to grab this demo, and its downloading SO SLOW. The current time is around 860 minutes to finish - which means a little over 14 HOURS??

Did anyone else have this trouble?

Well not quite that long but when the demo went up it did take a couple of hours to download.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Simo said:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| What a Horrible Thread to Have a 7.5 Curse.

Anyways I just switched up my preorder from 360 to PS3. Some minor framerate issues wouldn't of bothered me but IGN points out the game actually freezes to performing a certain move on the 360 while the PS3 version runs flawlessly.
The pause is a design choice when you hit an enemy on both versions.

Snaku

Banned
Finally watched the GT review. Could the art & atmosphere be any more spot on? I'd buy this shit just to walk around that game world.

Snaku said:
Finally watched the GT review. Could the art & atmosphere be any more spot on? I'd buy this shit just to walk around that game world.

A lot of it to me does give the impression of all the exterior environments of Super Castlevania IV leading up to the castle. Setting a lot of this game in the countryside is great and I'm finding it hard to name other games with atmosphere quite like this one. I've been pining for a game to do this for so many years. One reason I love Assassin's Creed II so much is simply the atmospheric vibe I get from the game. This one is almost completely linear, and considering the length, if the environments keep changing up all the way through to the end without much in the way of repetition, this will be one visually incredible game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
brandonh83 said:
A lot of it to me does give the impression of all the exterior environments of Super Castlevania IV leading up to the castle.
Thats what i love most about IV. Really happy they do the same thing here. Great progression and really eases you into the epic castle encounters.

Id love to see a making-of for the production design on the game, but i doubt they had time to do that.

mjc

Sticking with the 360 version. Framerate is baby shit to me unless it damn near stops completely. Like a part in Dead Rising 2 where Rebecca Chang straddles Chuck at a whopping 5fps.

~Kinggi~

Banned
mjc said:
Sticking with the 360 version. Framerate is baby shit to me unless it damn near stops completely. Like a part in Dead Rising 2 where Rebecca Chang straddles Chuck at a whopping 5fps.
5 fps dry humping is fucking hot

So glad I'm going with limited edition. I really enjoyed the demo. Can't wait to see the bonus items. Man I'm so incredibly stoked for this game one week!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of note: the PS3 version supports 7.1 audio. Definitely worth noting. Game sounds quite amazing, in fact.

Y2Kev said:
THE GRAPHICS OMGGGGGGGGGGG

temple-doom-mala-ram-001_1199757819.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG That was AWESOME

fantastic combat. when you hit an enemy, you really feel lt. it's like BAM. launching the wolves into the air and then taking on three at once in the air is great when they all en dwith a blood splatter and gabriel comes crashing down to the ground with a guillotine.

the framerate in the non-interactive stuff is crap, but there is nice animation variation.

the graphics are PHENOMENAL and the art is incredible. god, the book moving at 60 fps should demonstrate to everyone why 60 fps is the bestest

sound mix is superb. day -1.

dark10x

Game looks soooo good in person. Scenes I assumed to be prerendered are done in realtime and look insane. Best looking motion blur I've seen to date (though it is sampled a touch lower than GoW3 and Uncharted 2). It really gives it a prerendered look. If it had some AA it would be perfect. Definitley one of the best looking games I've played.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Y2Kev said:
THE GRAPHICS OMGGGGGGGGGGG

yeah i agree after seeing the GT video review the graphics look great. It is a tad lower than god of war 3 and uncharted 2 but Castlevania isnt a slouch, it holds its own. Glad i pre-ordered this on amazon.com

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's probably the best looking Konami game ever made. Simply stunning graphics. Amazing that a shitty team from Spain got this kind of budget or even has this kind of talent. Jericho is a fugly mess of a game. This is like top 5 of the generation.

burgerdog

Y2Kev said:
It's probably the best looking Konami game ever made. Simply stunning graphics. Amazing that a shitty team from Spain got this kind of budget or even has this kind of talent. Jericho is a fugly mess of a game. This is like top 5 of the generation.

Rising team better deliver. :lol

dark10x

Y2Kev said:
Jericho looked decent on PC and did feature great motion blur as well. It was nowhere near this inspired. Amazing that this totally blows away everything else in Konami's stable.

Top Bottom