• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

brandonh83 said:
You mean you're telling me that there are people who seriously base their purchasing decisions on IGN or Gamespot? Perhaps I should take my faith in humanity down to a 7.5
Maybe for those that aren't really interested in Castlevania or the series.

But this game can become divisive. The lower reviews from the major sites might turn off people who showed interest, while hardcore fans will avoid it because they don't want anything but traditional 2D Castlevanias.

razorman

The graphics are incredible. Right up there with the very best this generation IMO. Hopefully the framerate will be smoother in the full game.

sdornan said:
I'm relying on people who have played a game that I have never played to tell me whether it's good or not. Is that hard to fathom?

Yes, it is actually. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could avoid a videogame, or hell, a film or anything else that they've been looking forward to just because one or two critics didn't think as highly of it as you'd hoped. Maybe these critics just have different tastes or different perceptions about an individual product than you. I know that I'm not going to outright avoid something just because Joe Critic didn't give it a glowing review. At least play the demo or better yet the full game if you're unsure; that's a far better outlet than canceling a pre-order because a couple of websites scored it a 7.5, which is still a decent score.

The game isn't even getting torn to shreds! It's seeing plentiful amounts of 8 and 9 reviews, and a couple of 7.5's here and there.

Pooya

brandonh83 said:
You mean you're telling me that there are people who seriously base their purchasing decisions on IGN or Gamespot? Perhaps I should take my faith in humanity down to a 7.5
yeah, Gamespot is connected to GameFAQs (they share forums) and Gamespot has it's own community too, they have a huge community for better or worse.
I think number of votes (requires unique account on there) for some events on GS was in order of 150k-200k.

LowParry

sdornan said:
Then I miss out on the $20 Amazon credit. I'm either getting it day one or down the road when it's $30.

That's still $20 to you. And if you don't like it, go the buy/sell/trade thread here on GAF or sell it through ebay or other resources. You're not stuck with a game you'll hate.

Zeal

Banned
People who base their buying decisions on one or two reviews shouldn't be playing games in the first place. That's just a combination of weak will and ADHD.

If you're anticipating a game and someone tells you it isn't worth it, you should have the attitude of "let me see for myself, then".

Amir0x

Banned
oh someone gave a game you're anticipating a less than ideal score, here we go with pages and pages bitching about the score with no real viable critique of why the reviews themselves are bad. This is why reviews are so awful, people. Because fans like the ones in this topic don't bother themselves to read, they get their dick in a twist the second a game they want isn't scored exactly the way they wanted.

What's wrong with people pointing out its less than stellar combat system or the abysmal framerate and docking the game accordingly? What's wrong with expecting a Castlevania game to be a little Castlevania-y?

In any event, 7.5 isn't even a BAD score, so seriously fucking christ.

It don't matter to me - I canceled my order after I read about the framerate - but it's so irritating every major game that comes out this is the order of things. Fanboy whining about the score (probably only .2 off the score they think the game should have) meanwhile none of the fanboys have played the game and none of them really have any ground to refute a damn thing.

sdornan

brandonh83 said:
Yes, it is actually. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could avoid a videogame, or hell, a film or anything else that they've been looking forward to just because one or two critics didn't think as highly of it as you'd hoped. Maybe these critics just have different tastes or different perceptions about an individual product than you. I know that I'm not going to outright avoid something just because Joe Critic didn't give it a glowing review. At least play the demo or better yet the full game if you're unsure; that's a far better outlet than canceling a pre-order because a couple of websites scored it a 7.5, which is still a decent score.

And that's the difference between me and you. I've never had a strong attachment to the Castlevania series. I've never even beaten Symphony of the Night. *collective gasp* I was planning on buying this one because of the earlier buzz. There are too many other great games coming out though to justify me buying one that's not quite up to snuff.

Once again, let me reiterate, I don't give much of a damn about the Castlevania franchise. I do want to play another God of War, but I don't have any desire to play another Dante's Inferno.

NeoUltima

miladesn said:
yeah, Gamespot is connected to GameFAQs (they share forums) and Gamespot has it's own community too, they have a huge community for better or worse.
I think number of votes (requires unique account on there) for some events on GS was in order of 150k-200k.
Yep, Gamespot and IGN each have ~20 million unique visitors a month. The high scoring reviews can't compete with that exposure :(.

Ranger X

brandonh83 said:

Even there I think you overrate humanity.

sdornan

Zeal said:
People who base their buying decisions on one or two reviews shouldn't be playing games in the first place. That's just a combination of weak will and ADHD.

If you're anticipating a game and someone tells you it isn't worth it, you should have the attitude of "let me see for myself, then".
I don't base it off one or two reviews. I preorder it on Amazon based on early reviews to get the pre-order discounts and cancel if I decide I don't want it. All I have to do is click a few buttons.

sdornan said:
There are too many other great games coming out though to justify me buying one that's not quite up to snuff.

7.5's are the lowest scores it's seen so far though unless there are lower ones I'm unaware of. Most venues are handing out 8's and 9's like candy corn on Halloween night. Where do you get that it's not quite up to snuff? A few sites don't think it's Castlevania enough despite them still thinking that it's a very good game. As Amir0x said, 7.5 isn't even a bad score.

You are literally basing your preorder cancel over a couple of reviews that scored it 0.5 points lower than the reviews that made you preorder the game in the first place.

FrankT

Amir0x said:
What's wrong with people pointing out its less than stellar combat system or the abysmal framerate and docking the game accordingly? What's wrong with expecting a Castlevania game to be a little Castlevania-y?

Nothing is wrong with it and in fact they should be docking where necassary, but if FR is a serious issue I'd also like to be the judge of that before dropping 60. 7.5 isn't a bad score at all, but it is average so couple that with some of the issues then the real question becomes do I drop the money on this or some other game this fall.

sdornan

brandonh83 said:
7.5's are the lowest scores it's seen so far though unless there are lower ones I'm unaware of. Most venues are handing out 8's and 9's like candy corn on Halloween night. Where do you get that it's not quite up to snuff? A few sites don't think it's Castlevania enough despite them still thinking that it's a very good game. As Amir0x said, 7.5 isn't even a bad score.

You are literally basing your preorder cancel over a couple of reviews that scored it 0.5 points lower than the reviews that made you preorder the game in the first place.

As stated earlier...

sdornan said:
The GameTrailers review seemed pretty fair to me: long but somewhat poorly paced, confusing in some sections, filled with many fantastic moments, but also derivative of many other games.

Nemesis556 said:
You're choosing to rent it because MICROSOFT are holding back the demo that Konami/MercurySteam ALREADY SUBMITTED? =/

that's correct.

with no way of knowing just how badly the crappy framerate will affect gameplay i'm just going to rent it to be on the safe side.

if it's good i'll consider a purchase down the road.

there are way too many games coming out in the next few months and i don't want to take a chance.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
It makes me sad to admit it, but I don't think the game is going to sell in God of War levels even though I hope it does.

I just hope it at least sells more than Dante's Inferno. I'd be pretty bummed out if DI ends up more successful than LoS. :(

The thing about LoS is that am I the only one who thinks the marketing has been horrible?

I mean Dante's Inferno was an average to shitty game depending on who you spoke to, but EA marketed it to hell and back and it had some pretty good initial sales.

I can't help but feel that LoS marketing budget is tiny. The game looks great, has great production values, could possibly be awesome, but it doesn't mean shit if the average consumer has no idea about it outside of those on gaming forums. I mean, I just learned yesterday there are SoTC-type battles and there are people here who have posted they didn't even realize the game was coming out next week.

sdornan said:
As stated earlier...

Fair enough dude, you can make your own decisions. You claim to not have been super excited about the game anyway and aren't really a big fan of the series, so sure, maybe use the money toward something else. I was just trying to point out that a couple of reviews that are just marginally lower than others shouldn't sway someone out of a purchase.

Foffy

Banned
Are people really offended and weary about the game because it's getting 7's?

I want you all to remember the last 3D Castlevania game previous to this, Castlevania Judgment. 7's are the highest that game ever got, and that was nowhere near the median for the game.

The fact that Lords lowest scores have not dropped into bad territory should be a blessing, and I don't understand the shitstorm about it. Why? It's still a good game, albeit not a Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.

The only thing I have a problem with is that Gamespot gave Lords the same score as Harmony of Despair. After playing the demo, I cannot even imagine how both games are of similar quality.

The demo, outside of my interest in the series in general, sold me on the game. I've always thought that the God of War games had a very weak feel when it came to combat, and I certainly welcome Lords' slower, more tactile system.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I admit i finally got around to watching the GT review and those seem like fair concerns. If there are indeed some of those problems i can definitely seem myself getting frustrated and agreeing with the 7's. However i am also much more in love with things like game environments and graphic/audio design than your average person so i can end up forgiving a lot.

Amir0x said:
It don't matter to me - I canceled my order after I read about the framerate -

You know what? I stopped caring when I read those two lines.

Amir0x

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Nothing is wrong with it and in fact they should be docking where necassary, but if FR is a serious issue I'd also like to be the judge of that before dropping 60. 7.5 isn't a bad score at all, but it is average so couple that with some of the issues then the real question becomes do I drop the money on this or some other game this fall.

Of course. Gaming is expensive, gotta make choices.

I think the framerate was enough to kill my desire for this game - and I really did anticipate it - and along with the various reports I've read about the mediocre combat system. But either way, I just think people need to relax about scores. If they find something legitimately worth criticizing from the review, then so be it, but man...a whole lotta shit for nothing. Mountain out of a mole hill.

TheBookerman said:
You know what? I stopped caring when I read those two lines.

Just like you probably stopped reading all the 7.5 reviews because they said something negative about your sacred cow. Plus, the comment was tangential in nature and said absolutely nothing about the point I was making, all the more embarrassing for you.

But for the record, two things you should know about me..

+ I do not give a fuck what anyone thinks about my posts
+ I do not give a fuck if you decide to read my posts or not

I hope that makes it easier next time you decide to waste time posting something like that.

Demo was alright. Can't say much about the combat this early, but the camera is really bad. The frame rate is really poor and the game feels slow because of it.

Might still pick it up.

~Kinggi~ said:
I admit i finally got around to watching the GT review and those seem like fair concerns. If there are indeed some of those problems i can definitely seem myself getting frustrated and agreeing with the 7's. However i am also much more in love with things like game environments and graphic/audio design than your average person so i can end up forgiving a lot.

Some concerns do seem totally fair and I'm not arguing those. The hand-holding, the same music playing when you get into a brawl, etc. are definitely not good. However, the series has seen drastic changes over the years, but when someone finally makes a good 3D installment, it doesn't feel enough like those 2D installments. It's like my Ninja Gaiden comparison earlier; Ninja Gaiden on Xbox felt nothing like the original NES games, but it was still a very worthy successor in 3D despite being a lot different. A lot of people liked it because it was a great game and a great progression from classic to new.

Now, I complain about games like Resident Evil 4 not feeling Resident Evil enough, but that's because it wasn't about zombies or Umbrella anymore, but about a pirate midget who runs a giant castle in Spain following orders from some monk dude who kidnapped the President's daughter so that he could give her a virus, ship her back to the U.S. and cause the virus to spread. Not very RE to me, but people absolutely loved the game-- because it was still a great game. This new Castlevania, IMO, isn't nearly that drastic of a change. You're still a Belmont fighting your way to and through Dracula's castle in hopes of vanquishing evil for the night. You have a chain whip, daggers, holy water, you go through levels fighting monsters and big intimidating bosses complete with a gothic horror atmosphere.

The game may be in 3D and it may not play like the original Castlevania, but neither did Symphony of the Night-- but fundamentally, this game shares plenty of elements with the series and even the less than stellar reviews are calling it a really good game. That's why I have a beef with them seemingly docking points because they don't feel that it's "Castlevania enough."

heringer

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Maybe for those that aren't really interested in Castlevania or the series.

But this game can become divisive. The lower reviews from the major sites might turn off people who showed interest, while hardcore fans will avoid it because they don't want anything but traditional 2D Castlevanias.
I'm getting a Other M vibe from this thread. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brandonh83 said:

The game isn't even getting torn to shreds! It's seeing plentiful amounts of 8 and 9 reviews, and a couple of 7.5's here and there.

What is the point of reading reviews if you don't take them into consideration when you purchase the item? Certainly some reviews are well written and create discussion, but none of those reviews are ever about video games.

heringer said:
I'm getting a Other M vibe from this thread. :lol

And Other M ended up being bizarrely un-Metroid as well.

thetrin said:
What is the point of reading reviews if you don't take them into consideration when you purchase the item? Certainly some reviews are well written and create discussion, but none of those reviews are ever about video games.

I just like to see what they say. And if most reviews are terrible, sure, that would sway my purchasing plan. A very strongly negative general consensus is one thing, but a couple of 7.5's? please.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brandonh83 said:
I just like to see what they say. And if most reviews are terrible, sure, that would sway my purchasing plan. A very strongly negative general consensus is one thing, but a couple of 7.5's? please.

Life is too short to play 7.5's dude. There are plenty of 9's I've never gotten to. Not to say that reviews are the be all end all of opinion. They're very regularly inaccurate.

I'm just saying that's fathomable that someone might not get a game because of a particular review that soured them on it.

The GI review turned me off buying Other M, and after playing it at a friend's house, do not regret the decision at all.

Vitet

thetrin said:

I find Eurogamer review pretty good. (8/10)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-28-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-review

And look at eurogamer.ES review. It gives the game a 9/10. Surprise, surprise! :lol
http://www.eurogamer.es/articles/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-analisis-xbox-360-ps3

Amir0x

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
I see you've changed your avatar. Didn't take you long to abandon this 7.5 game.

ok this made me :lol

too bad he abandoned this 7.5 game for a 0.0 book series/movie franchise.

Tom Penny

Demo was ok. If the right analog does nothing as it appears to. Why the hell isn't a used for dodge? Seems like common sense to me.

Zertez said:
Is the demo up for the 360 in the US? I cant find it, but my gold membership ends today.

Next week in the U.S.

Tom Penny said:
Demo was ok. If the right analog does nothing as it appears to. Why the hell isn't a used for dodge? Seems like common sense to me.

They opted for a superior method.

brandonh83 said:
It's like my Ninja Gaiden comparison earlier; Ninja Gaiden on Xbox felt nothing like the original NES games, but it was still a very worthy successor in 3D despite being a lot different. A lot of people liked it because it was a great game and a great progression from classic to new.

To be fair, people were more forgiving of Ninja Gaiden's changes because there was an 11-year break between games. Hardly anybody had any preconceptions. In contrast, a 2D Castlevania game comes out every fifteen minutes or so.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Amir0x said:
If they find something legitimately worth criticizing from the review, then so be it, but man...a whole lotta shit for nothing. Mountain out of a mole hill.

I think the issue here was the comments about it "not being Castlevania enough" and "not being 2d". Being "different" from previous games is being described as if its a con but then they also go on to say that its a really well done game. Its a little contradictory in that sense and might make some readers get the impression that tacking the Castlevania license onto the game is actually what drops the rating 1 or 2 points.

Vitet

Joe Shlabotnik said:
To be fair, people were more forgiving of Ninja Gaiden's changes because there was an 11-year break between games. Hardly anybody had any preconceptions. In contrast, a 2D Castlevania game comes out every fifteen minutes or so.

That's one more argument to benefit this game. We don't need ANOTHER iteration of a 2D castlevania just transformed to 3D. We have already tons of games to play if we want that.

LOS just gives us SCIV lovers (I love the Metroidvanias too, don't get me wrong) a bit of fresh air to the franchise

andymcc

Banned
christ, this thread has really went to the shitter. :lol

brandonh83 said:
They opted for a superior method.

yep. god of war right stick dodging SUCKS.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
To be fair, people were more forgiving of Ninja Gaiden's changes because there was an 11-year break between games.

not to mention, ninja gaiden's first foray into 3D was a fucking amazing, period. the castlevania series doesn't have that kind of track record.

okay is there seriously no new media? I can't find any new screenshots anywhere and I'm hurtin' to get more screens into the OP.

andymcc said:
yep. god of war right stick dodging SUCKS.

It doesn't suck but I do prefer the L2 assignment.

what is the purpose of the right stick in this game? I was expecting it to control the camera based on videos. Instead it locks the camera at weird angles that makes you fight enemies off screen. And it isn't dodge, so what's up? do they let you use free whip controls later?

Top Bottom