• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

john tv said:
Sad realization just set in that I'm not gonna be able to beat this until next weekend. I'm up to 5-5 but it seems like there's still a ton left. Game clock is at 10:32...

This game would benefit from being a fair bit shorter and tighter IMO. Chapter II especially - super long and mostly tedious. Was about to give up if not for some of you guys, but I'm glad I stuck with it, because it definitely gets better from Chapter III on.

Agreed. I almost stopped in Chapter 2 because I was so bored with it. It picks up after that, and thankfully, the first two chapters are the worst (and longest) parts of the game. Though, pacing remains an issue throughout the game.

Chris_C said:
Picked this up this afternoon, pleased to see it does have a Castlevania-esque vibe, I just got done with chapter one and while I think it's got promise...

1 - LET ME PLAY FOR FIVE CONSECUTIVE MINUTES, DAMN YOU! It seems the game wrests control from you every opportunity it gets, I haven't even had time to get used to the damn control scheme!

2 - I'm... sort of underwhelmed by the graphics. I love the drawings in the journey book, but I was expecting a graphical showpiece on the scale of something like Uncharted 2. That said, they're still some of the best this generation.

3 - I love Patrick Stewart, but his chapter readings are making me want to kill myself.

I think I shall start over to see if I can get in the groove, things just haven't clicked. Also, I kinda just want to hurry up and get to the castle!

The game settles down a lot after the first couple of chapters. While it does still do a few too many camera pans pointing out the bloody obvious it generally gets better at just letting you get on with things.

Starting over would be pointless imo, the structure of the game is such that there's no benefit.

Chris_C

Die Squirrel Die said:
The game settles down a lot after the first couple of chapters. While it does still do a few too many camera pans pointing out the bloody obvious it generally gets better at just letting you get on with things.

Starting over would be pointless imo, the structure of the game is such that there's no benefit.

That's good to hear. I noticed I missed a weapon enhancement in one of the first chapter levels, so I might go back just for that.

andymcc

Banned
Linkzg said:
Agreed. I almost stopped in Chapter 2 because I was so bored with it. It picks up after that, and thankfully, the first two chapters are the worst (and longest) parts of the game. Though, pacing remains an issue throughout the game.

part of the pacing issue comes from the lousy puzzles that always manage to feel poorly realized and out-of-place. it's infuriating when a sizable chunk of a chapter comes from some stupid puzzle.

Volcynika

I wasn't complaining about the zombie chess, it just took me by surprise a little bit.

Also about the last boss of chapter 6,
how he won was hilarious. "Well, I can't pull this away from him since he has more strength.........so I'll just let him keep it!"

Question, I'm trying to play Super Castlevania IV music while playing this game, I copied the MP3's to my PS3, but when I try to play it through custom soundtracks, it says "there are no tracks that can be played" or something like that, but it works when I try to play other music.

Just can't figure it out, it's the same file format as the others but it won't play them for some reason. May be a codec issue or something I guess.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
Question, I'm trying to play Super Castlevania IV music while playing this game, I copied the MP3's to my PS3, but when I try to play it through custom soundtracks, it says "there are no tracks that can be played" or something like that, but it works when I try to play other music.

Just can't figure it out, it's the same file format as the others but it won't play them for some reason. May be a codec issue or something I guess.
Maybe Castlevania music is just incompatible with this game? ;-)

I fuckin hate those switches that kill you. What the fuck is up with that!? I was killed by one and it sent me back before I huge battle that I had to go through again.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
brandonh83 said:

How do you get custom soundtrack on the PS3 version, do you play the mp3 files via the in-game XMB or is there some function in the game for allowing custom soundtracks?

Combichristoffersen said:
How do you get custom soundtrack on the PS3 version, do you play the mp3 files via the in-game XMB or is there some function in the game for allowing custom soundtracks?

edit: I read your question wrong. I use the in-game XMB. There isn't a built-in function within the game, if that's what you're asking.

brandonh83 said:

There are certain (variable) bitrates that are incompatible with the PS3. I had that problem only once with some Mirror's Edge songs, but they started working after I re-encoded them.

YianGaruga said:
There are certain (variable) bitrates that are incompatible with the PS3. I had that problem only once with some Mirror's Edge songs, but they started working after I re-encoded them.

I figured as much. These other soundtracks are working just fine.

Just got to chaper IV, awesome game...but the QTE at the end of the last boss battle was a bit of a pain...mainly because you are warped back to the start of that segment...otherwise the boss battle was GREAT...story so far is enjoyable, although I agree that the narrative is a little inconsistant...Visuals also considerantly improve, very nice scale as well

LiK

john tv said:
Sad realization just set in that I'm not gonna be able to beat this until next weekend. I'm up to 5-5 but it seems like there's still a ton left. Game clock is at 10:32...

This game would benefit from being a fair bit shorter and tighter IMO. Chapter II especially - super long and mostly tedious. Was about to give up if not for some of you guys, but I'm glad I stuck with it, because it definitely gets better from Chapter III on.
Took me 19 hours to beat in Warrior with no guides and I solved all the puzzles. Fun stuff, hoping to 1000 this soon. :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
At end of Ch 7 right now. Game is sooooo good. I love how things arent appearing lazy. They put even more care into these environments than early in the game.

LiK

~Kinggi~ said:
At end of Ch 7 right now. Game is sooooo good. I love how things arent appearing lazy. They put even more care into these environments than early in the game.
Yea, if you stand around and really look around, the amount of work in the textures is very detailed. Wish I could rotate the camera to look at it all.

Btw, you guys need to check out the art gallery when you're done. The concept art and designs are insanely good. I want an official artbook. :lol

kr2t0s

Thanks again for pointing out that it gets better, because i'm in chapter 2 and was seriously thinking about quitting as well.

Feels like they took the best parts of Ninja Gaiden / God of War but the worst part of DMC - Level design.

I'll stick with it.

NIN90

I'm at Ch. 4 right now and the game keeps being awesome.
This game tickles something inside me that only a select few games can do. I can't really put my finger on it. The last game that did that to me was Batman: AA.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just read a few pages and damn... getting really hyped here. Only hard part is deciding what platform to get it on. Seems like there aren't any real differences between the two, right? I'll just go for PS3 then probably for the single disc

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Up to chapter 9 now. =)

What's the fastest place to farm for dark crystals? This seems like a good place to jump back and get upgrades/trials done, but the Titan trials are in the way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LiK said:
Yea, if you stand around and really look around, the amount of work in the textures is very detailed. Wish I could rotate the camera to look at it all.

Btw, you guys need to check out the art gallery when you're done. The concept art and designs are insanely good. I want an official artbook. :lol
I know. Ive been buying some art every now and then. I would totally pay 30$ for an art book. You can tell the game gets a lot of its artistic quality from the group of concept artists they had.

Victrix

*beard*
~Kinggi~ said:
I know. Ive been buying some art every now and then. I would totally pay 30$ for an art book. You can tell the game gets a lot of its artistic quality from the group of concept artists they had.

Post-game, comparing all the concept art to the in-game art, it's extremely impressive how close to the concept art they came in the 3d world.

Ledsen

Linkzg said:

I'm on chapter 6, and chapter 4 and 5 were both perfectly paced compared to the earlier three. So awesome, especially chapter 4.

~Kinggi~

Banned
SpokkX said:
after 5 chapters... the game should have been shorter... really

There is quite a bit of filler in here
I dont get that impression at all. If you look at each level size wise, they actually arent that big. What makes the game long is there are so many of them and they throw a lot of variety at you. There were only a few instances where i was tiring of another wave of enemies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
SpokkX said:
after 5 chapters... the game should have been shorter... really

There is quite a bit of filler in here

If that's filler I want more filler in my game dammit :lol I feel like the game was worth the $60. Few games do that these days. Enslaved and Vanquish are two games I am looking forward to, but since I am damn sure they will be short as heck (especially Vanquish without any kind of netplay) I will wait for a price drop. Under 40 or even 30. This game, the $60 were really worth it, and more surprising is that its a freaking SP game, and even more than that is the varied locales and scenarios and actually brain-bending puzzles. This game has as much variety as freaking Metroid Prime in it. So. Freaking. Good.

~Kinggi~ said:
I dont get that impression at all. If you look at each level size wise, they actually arent that big. What makes the game long is there are so many of them and they throw a lot of variety at you. There were only a few instances where i was tiring of another wave of enemies.

Levels often take too long due to the lack of a guide arrow or map with progression points marked. This is made doubly long because whenever you run into a level where you need one of these things in order to find some items you get a fucking annoying voice actor whining at you for not finding said items every 5 seconds without giving you any hints as to where you need to go.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Spirit of Jazz said:
Levels often take too long due to the lack of a guide arrow or map with progression points marked. This is made doubly long because whenever you run into a level where you need one of these things in order to find some items you get a fucking annoying voice actor whining at you for not finding said items every 5 seconds without giving you any hints as to where you need to go.

Sounds great.

I like walking around the very reasonably sized levels to explore things for myself. This is not Oblivion, come on. You need to be told where to look? Explore for yourself.

LaneDS

One thing they absolutely could have done better is either picked better camera angles or given you some semblance of camera control. There are a few maze like sections that are made more annoying because of how they decided to present them to the player.

andymcc

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:

i wish i could press a single button and the battles would play themselves. : (

Y2Kev

If you think Patrick Stewart gets lazy, just finish the game. He does not.

and

:bow jason isaacs :bow2

Glix

I find the filler comment absurd.

Its not like you fight wave after wave of guys, in the same spot, or in similar spots. The levels are beautiful and varied, and so are most of the fights.

The platforming is awesome, and the puzzles are good enough.

Seriously, are you just saying that because the game is too long for you? Please explain further as to what could have been cut out, and what made you say that.

Y2Kev

lawblob said:
I am totally lost in ch.3. I found the 1st fairy, have no idea what to do next.
did you manipulate the lionhead things in one of the towers? it rotates the grapple point.

Sidzed2

I must say, after initially feeling sort of lukewarm about the game during Chapters 1 and 2, things have really improved dramatically. Chapter 3 was capped by an absolutely barnstorming boss battle which would be good enough for a final boss of any other game, and then Chapter 4 was just plain old fun. Just aboit to begin Chapter 5, and if things continue to improve at this rate (heck, even the frame rate appears better) then by the endgame I should be absolutely in love.

Dartastic

Sidzed2 said:
I must say, after initially feeling sort of lukewarm about the game during Chapters 1 and 2, things have really improved dramatically. Chapter 3 was capped by an absolutely barnstorming boss battle which would be good enough for a final boss of any other game, and then Chapter 4 was just plain old fun. Just aboit to begin Chapter 5, and if things continue to improve at this rate (heck, even the frame rate appears better) then by the endgame I should be absolutely in love.
Yeah. The framerate does get better. It's weird.

Ps. I hate the gremlin flying red demon sacks of shit auuugh

Y2Kev said:
Sounds great.

I like walking around the very reasonably sized levels to explore things for myself. This is not Oblivion, come on. You need to be told where to look? Explore for yourself.

For example when hunting for crystal shards on a certain level there's one that you can miss near the start if you don't head backwards. I totally missed the purple glow as I hadn't seen one of the piles before thus I ran by it. Thus after the time it takes me to get the other 3 shards it isn't exactly a great feeling to still have the bitch whining at me that we need crystals every 5 seconds.

On a whole I just feel some of the levels aren't too intuitive designed because you need to hit a specific area or the camera won't shift, or you're caught going in circles and never hitting the right path, or you're meant to head behind an upgrade cross when before them they've been walled off. It just feels like a lot of progression dependant paths are in places only secret ones to me.

Maybe I'm just stupid and I'm the only one having this problem. However getting lost for 15 minutes with a fucking annoying voice-actor's constantly whining on you after just coming out a battle that took you 5 times longer than it should because you started the level with so little life you couldn't take a hit isn't exactly fun.

LiK

lawblob said:
I am totally lost in ch.3. I found the 1st fairy, have no idea what to do next.

same, i backtracked like 5 times before i figured out the location of the 3rd fairy.

Glix

LiK said:
same, i backtracked like 5 times before i figured out the 3rd location.

Me too.
I didn't think the panel was interactive, cuz it only does the "look at me glow" if you have the crank in your hand.

Glix

Spirit of Jazz said:
For example when hunting for crystal shards on a certain level there's one that you can miss near the start if you don't head backwards. I totally missed the purple glow as I hadn't seen one of the piles before thus I ran by it. Thus after the time it takes me to get the other 3 shards it isn't exactly a great feeling to still have the bitch whining at me that we need crystals every 5 seconds.

On a whole I just feel some of the levels aren't too intuitive designed because you need to hit a specific area or the camera won't shift, or you're caught going in circles and never hitting the right path, or you're meant to head behind an upgrade cross when before them they've been walled off. It just feels like a lot of progression dependant paths are in places only secret ones to me.

Maybe I'm just stupid and I'm the only one having this problem. However getting lost for 15 minutes with a fucking annoying voice-actor's constantly whining on you after just coming out a battle that took you 5 times longer than it should because you started the level with so little life you couldn't take a hit isn't exactly fun.

The camera is this way on purpose. If they blatantly showed everything, how fun would it be?

After reading your posts though, it seems like the voice sample is what is upsetting you the most, maybe just turn the sound down?

Solune

Glix said:
I find the filler comment absurd.

Its not like you fight wave after wave of guys, in the same spot, or in similar spots. The levels are beautiful and varied, and so are most of the fights.

The platforming is awesome, and the puzzles are good enough.

Seriously, are you just saying that because the game is too long for you? Please explain further as to what could have been cut out, and what made you say that.

QFT.
Also if you are A) complaining about combat you probably suck it at it.
and B) If you're getting lost there's even glowing platforms and objects to indicate where you need to go.
Platforming also feels really good, swinging is such a simple action and yet those are parts I really enjoy.

And I think brandon mentioned it but, I think the death music you get is an arrangement of the music that plays when you die from the original Castlevania?

LiK

Glix said:
Me too.
I didn't think the panel was interactive, cuz it only does the "look at me glow" if you have the crank in your hand.

yea, i think that small part of the puzzle was the most frustrating part of the game.

Glix said:
The camera is this way on purpose. If they blatantly showed everything, how fun would it be?

After reading your posts though, it seems like the voice sample is what is upsetting you the most, maybe just turn the sound down?

Haha, if it's the bit I think it is, that almost prompted me to do a 'Why do developers keep doing stuff like that post'. That and being 4 years into its lifecycle and we still keep getting games that don't swap the trigger functions when going from the 360 pad to the Dualshock. The 2nd one is even more confusingly stupid given that development lead on the PS3 or do they think we actually like using the L2/R2 for primary functions?

Top Bottom