• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

I'm actually astonished at all the positivity. Despite framerate bitching, bitching that it borrows elements from other games, bitching that it's not traditional Castlevania or another Metroid game and so on, I'm very astounded by all the good reactions from GAF. Pleased, too. Glad all the work that went into the OP wasn't for a fluke title.

~Kinggi~ said:
Just beat chapter 8. That was some epicness right there. Damn this game has some amazing action.

I don't even have to guess what scene you're talking about. It was great. One of the best-directed action sequences I've ever seen in a game.

LiK

brandonh83 said:
I'm actually astonished at all the positivity. Despite framerate bitching, bitching that it borrows elements from other games, bitching that it's not traditional Castlevania or another Metroid game and so on, I'm very astounded by all the good reactions from GAF. Pleased, too. Glad all the work that went into the OP wasn't for a fluke title.

if this game didn't have those technical problems and the first two chapters were better designed, this would be in my top 5.

LiK said:
if this game didn't have those techinical problems and the first two chapters were better designed, this would be in my top 5.

of all time, or of the year? and, if all time, where would you put it? Just curious, I consider it to be my favorite Castlevania right underneath Super IV, and at times while actually playing this one I find myself maybe even favoring it over that one.

brandonh83 said:

I enjoyed them at the time, but having played what's come since (in the middle of Chapter 8 atm) I think I can see that the game doesn't make a great first impression. Or at least, the impression that it first gives is not reflective of how well everything comes together as the game progresses.

LiK

brandonh83 said:
of all time, or of the year? and, if all time, where would you put it? Just curious, I consider it to be my favorite Castlevania right underneath Super IV, and at times while actually playing this one I find myself maybe even favoring it over that one.

just for the year...but alas...

Glix said:
The camera is this way on purpose. If they blatantly showed everything, how fun would it be?

More fun? I don't think many would find the fetch quest elements all that appealing, I like the combat, I like the platforming. I think people should be rewarded for checking every nook-and-cranny in the game but I don't think it should ever be a requirement.

After reading your posts though, it seems like the voice sample is what is upsetting you the most, maybe just turn the sound down?

It's one of the things and me turning the sound down doesn't make it a better design choice.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I enjoyed them at the time, but having played what's come since (in the middle of Chapter 8 atm) I think I can see that the game doesn't make a great first impression. Or at least, the impression that it first gives is not reflective of how well everything comes together as the game progresses.

Totally. The game does get considerably better as it goes.

I didn't have a problem with anything before chapter 5 and on, mainly because I've been begging for a Castlevania with extensive trips through the countryside before actually reaching the castle.

So that's my defense against that one, albeit a personal one.

Tokubetsu

brandonh83 said:

I don't even have to guess what scene you're talking about. It was great. One of the best-directed action sequences I've ever seen in a game.

Yep, probably my favorite in the game. Though Chapter 12 has its moments :D

I just hope to God, if there is one, that we get a sequel by MS. Please!

andymcc

Banned
Glix said:
I find the filler comment absurd.

Its not like you fight wave after wave of guys, in the same spot, or in similar spots. The levels are beautiful and varied, and so are most of the fights.

The platforming is awesome, and the puzzles are good enough.

Seriously, are you just saying that because the game is too long for you? Please explain further as to what could have been cut out, and what made you say that.

because i think the puzzles fucking suck and the pacing is shit. i can think of a lot more fun things i'd rather do (like fighting waves of enemies and platforming!) than play pseudo-chess or medieval pachinko.

Tokubetsu said:
I just hope to God, if there is one, that we get a sequel by MS. Please!

I'm pretty positive that they'll do another one. This game must have been a huge undertaking for them, so if this one has a good return sales-wise it will surely happen.

Cox said this on Twitter when someone asked him if the next one would be a Metroidvania with Alucard:

Cox Twitter said:
Metroidvania no...but Alucard? :)

Ridley327

brandonh83 said:
I'm pretty positive that they'll do another one. This game must have been a huge undertaking for them, so if this one has a good return sales-wise it will surely happen.

Cox said this on Twitter when someone asked him if the next one would be a Metroidvania with Alucard:
Damn, he's even taking IGA's game concepts!

Kojima better look out for this guy. :lol

LiK

K' Dash said:
I feel the game is picking up for me at chapter 5, I'm happy.

the game really ramped up for me in Chapter 3. was happy with the whole game after that. noone will be disappointed after Chapter 3, imo :D

Tokubetsu

brandonh83 said:

I have hope. Especially with all the things Cox has said about the game's budget being fairly resonable/cheap and the team being pretty small.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just played the demo and I absolutely adored the atmosphere and presentation. The combat was just alright but how much does the atmosphere and presentation hold up in the full game? If it's as good as the demo and the trailer after this I may have to buy it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The team is small so maybe the budget was reasonable, but if it was small, they did a LOT with the money they had. How do you get a 200 piece orchestra and this art department with a small budget?

It might actually sell well, besides. It could be the best selling Castlevania in a while.

RoboPlato said:
I just played the demo and I absolutely adored the atmosphere and presentation. The combat was just alright but how much does the atmosphere and presentation hold up in the full game? If it's as good as the demo and the trailer after this I may have to buy it.

The atmosphere and presentation in the demo shares the likeness of a dog turd compared to the atmosphere and presentation later on.

Also the combat system gets wayyyy better. Basically if you loved the demo you will be smitten with the rest of the game.

Glix

Tokubetsu said:
I have hope. Especially with all the things Cox has said about the game's budget being fairly resonable/cheap and the team being pretty small.

Thats crazy. The game has such beautiful assets and stuff... Looks like it would cost a fortune to make.

Maybe Squeenix needs to hire Cox as a consultant.

LiK said:
the game really ramped up for me in Chapter 3. was happy with the whole game after that. noone will be disappointed after Chapter 3, imo :D

Gameplaywise totally,
maybe it comes back in later chapters but I felt the whole Titans thing was the remnants of a game that was going off in another direction
, but I think from Chapter 5 it starts to become more recognisably Castlevania in its setting. Saying that I really liked that their
ancient technologically advanced civilisation wasn't anachronistically futuristic, instead looking like something that could have believably dovetailed into Ancient Greek art and architecture

Peff

Y2Kev said:
The team is small so maybe the budget was reasonable, but if it was small, they did a LOT with the money they had. How do you get a 200 piece orchestra and this art department with a small budget?

It might actually sell well, besides. It could be the best selling Castlevania in a while.

Plus the big name voice-acting and the huge amount of assets. Certainly a fantastic effort.

Tokubetsu

brandonh83 said:
The atmosphere and presentation in the demo shares the likeness of a dog turd compared to the atmosphere and presentation later on.

Also the combat system gets wayyyy better. Basically if you loved the demo you will be smitten with the rest of the game.

Everytime one of you guys mention atmosphere/presentation, I remember how my favorite track ISN'T on the soundtrack. I believe it plays for the first time in Chapter 4
The semi-mellow one that plays as your climbing the tower to fight the crow witch

yoopoo

Banned
Why the hell is there so much wall climbing in this game....every two minutes I'm handing on ledge slowly moving around. Worst game ever made.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn at Chapter 9...somehow the art keeps topping itself.

yoopoo said:
Why the hell is there so much wall climbing in this game....every two minutes I'm handing on ledge slowly moving around. Worst game ever made.

I know, man. What the fuck were they on when they put platforming in a Castlevania game?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I'd worry about the sanity of that "small" team to be honest. They either got paid nothing or went through months of crazy crunch.

Y2Kev

After finishing it, I just totally reject the notion that this is not Castlevania. It's not IGAvania, and it doesn't and can't fit into his timeline, but we all knew that.

Sidzed2

yoopoo said:

Because you touch yourself at night.

Seriously though, how inane could a post be? There's wall-climbing because platforming is a substantial part of the Castlevania formula and because it breaks up the combat and puzzle sequences.

Also because you touch yourself.

Y2Kev said:
Yes.

61% in 17 hrs. This is the longest action game since RE4.

Did you get all the gems and upgrades too? Mine was closer to 15 hours and that was with all that stuff, and quite a few trials finished (I eventually stopped bothering with them).

and I was just thinking about it, but I'm surprised there wasn't an achievement/trophy for solving all the puzzles on your own.

Y2Kev

Linkzg said:
Did you get all the gems and upgrades too? Mine was closer to 15 hours and that was with all that stuff, and quite a few trials finished (I eventually stopped bothering with them).

and I was just thinking about it, but I'm surprised there wasn't an achievement/trophy for solving all the puzzles on your own.
I got almost all of them I think. Just missed a few.

Up to 4-2 and I have to say this is turning out to be one of my favorite games. I like it better than GOW3 and DMC4 and I love those series.

I initially had a hard time filling up the focus meter or whatever they call it and it wasn't until I was getting my ass kicked by the chapter 3 boss when I decided to start time blocking his attacks. Seeing the meter fill up that rapidly made me smack my forehead. Before that, I would just dodge roll and attack and keep wondering how the hell I was ever going to fill that up in a reasonable amount of time to be useful.

Question: I'm at 4-2
at the witch's tower
It gives me the option to climb the building or start climbing downward into a cave. Is there a wrong way to go? Will choosing one path screw me from exploring the other. I'm always intimidated by these decisions which is why i feel Uncharted should stay linear. It's ok for this type of game, but not Uncharted.

Chris_C

Y2Kev said:

I hope it is, as I said earlier I've just finished chapter one and I have some issues, but for a small team the achievement is nothing short of phenomenal, and it's fairly obvious that there's a ton of heart and soul put into the game's development. I think Konami might have found a western dev that can produce. I hope they don't get bought out too soon though.

Sidzed2

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Question: I'm at 4-2
at the witch's tower
It gives me the option to climb the building or start climbing downward into a cave. Is there a wrong way to go? Will choosing one path screw me from exploring the other. I'm always intimidated by these decisions which is why i feel Uncharted should stay linear. It's ok for this type of game, but not Uncharted.

Yes - going up means progressing in the level. Going down leads you somewhere interesting, but you'll end up back where you started at the end of it all.

Go down first (always sage advice!!!).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Chapter 3 boss is so bad. The last "form", at least when I'm fighting him, is seemingly completely random. This cannot be how it is supposed to go down.

Just popping in to say that I watched chapter 8's boss fight, and jesus christ at the motion blur effect and animations. LoS looks like a fun action game.

Sadly, I can't afford it now, but I hope when the holidays hit, it'll drop in price so I can buy it.

Top Bottom