• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

So glad they put the demo up, I almost wrote this game off.

Now I'm debating whether I should get the collector's edition or not, it's already a definite purchase either way.

This always happens though, I love Western games but it tends to be games from Japan (Demon's Souls, Rule of Rose, Silent Hill) that stick with me for years after I play them.

cj_iwakura

Ken said:
How does coop work?

I'm guessing it's only present in the puzzle sections of the game?

There's two flavors: Babel and the 'main game' Colosseum stages. Babel are the four ultra difficult optional stages, and Colosseum are mini versions of the main game nightmares.

It's completely separate from the story.

eshwaaz

I'm really interested in this game for the story and overall uniqueness, but the difficulty is a concern as I'm not particularly good at puzzle games and I hate time limits. These two reviews have very different opinions on the challenge level of the Easy setting:
Jeremy Parish said:
Catherine is infamously difficult, and Atlus even toned down the U.S. release to make it feel less punishing. Nevertheless, even the easy difficulty setting becomes hair-pullingly difficult about mid-way through.

destructoid said:
The Japanese release required patching shortly after arrival in stores due to extreme difficulty but there are no such problems with the easiest setting here. Easy really does mean easy as the game affords you ample time to sit and stare at troublesome spots on the climb, a near endless supply of extra lives and additional score multipliers to help in earning higher rankings.
Dangit, who should I believe?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
.JayZii said:
Please sell well. Please sell well. Please sell well. Please sell well.
I'm worried we'll have another 'SotD and CoE BOMBA' thread for El Shaddai and this. I just see them both getting lost in the shuffle, very unfortunately.

Lavalamp1138 said:
Gametrailers is a bit notorious for having spoilers in their reviews, so I'ma avoid this one for the time being.

Um, yeah. I just made the horrid mistake of watching the 1st 2 minutes of their review and already had 3 things I wish I didn't hear or see.

FairXchange said:
Um, yeah. I just made the horrid mistake of watching the 1st 2 minutes of their review and already had 3 things I wish I didn't hear or see.
I sympathize with you, my friend. There's always the spoiler-free text version of their review available. I always opt to go this route whenever I'm worried about seeing the unseeable. I can never find these written reviews on GT though, I always have to get them from Metacritic.

Ok, so what's the deal with this game?

Is it really just a block-puzzle game, essentially?

I mean, I can see the appeal of wacky Japanese fever-dream inspired art and narrative, but if the whole thing is just carrying a block-pushing game.... no thanks.

Neki

The Antitype said:

I mean, I can see the appeal of wacky Japanese fever-dream inspired art and narrative, but if the whole thing is just carrying a block-pushing game.... no thanks.

it's a block pushing game with plot.

I play games for the story.

The Antitype said:

Puzzle game with dialog options and branching story paths.

What's wrong with block puzzles?

Echonov

Neo Member
malfcn said:
Sorry.

On the OXM disc from magazine.

Just did a search and found nothing on Catherine gamerpics from OXM July (portal 2 pics) or August (red faction pics). So, unless you're saying the September issue has them, I would like some clarification, sir.

I would stupidly buy an OXM for Catherine gamerpics if they were cool enough.

Ultimoo said:
I haven't played the game yet, so I really can't answer your question, sorry.
I'm just playing dawg. I'm just figured it would have come up in reviews or something. I just wanna know if its like 40 hours long (didn't seem like it would be but I know that little about this game as i've been in super blackout since it seemed interesting and didn't wanna spoil anything), or if it was more like 8 hours (in which I would probably not buy it right now and wait for it to drop price).

SteveWinwood said:
I'm just playing dawg. I'm just figured it would have come up in reviews or something. I just wanna know if its like 40 hours long (didn't seem like it would be but I know that little about this game as i've been in super blackout since it seemed interesting and didn't wanna spoil anything), or if it was more like 8 hours (in which I would probably not buy it right now and wait for it to drop price).

The Game Informer review said that it was around 12-15 hours long.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So what does happen in the full game if you fail the puzzle 13 times (that's how many repeats I was offerend in the demo). It's not going to be Game Over, Start the Game all Over Again, is it? How many times per level can you use Undo?

Btw, I thought the cutscene compression on PS3 was kinda so-so. I could easily spot macroblocking and even aliasing due to lower than ideal bitrate. This was on a plasma TV even, which is generally much better than LCD at hiding compression problems like this. If X360 version is even worse in this aspect, like everyone is saying it is, it's probably something worth being warned about, if you're sensitive to this kind of thing.

The Antitype said:

I was thinking the same as you, but you should play the demo. It all strangely makes sense and fits together, and it's hard to describe why, but I tried in that longer post I made eariler.

Reclaimer

Chrono Helix said:
I'm not sure if you can change difficulty during the main story, but after you've beaten a level you're given the option of replaying it at any difficulty you want.
Bah. Probably easy mode for me then. I'd hate to hit the rumored difficulty wall 7 hours in and have to start over just to see through the story. Thanks for the answer!

Lord Error said:
Don't try to be a smartass, and just try the demo :p It is fun.

Never said it wasn't, I just thought it was funny that he said he played games for the story. Seems a weird reason.

I'll check out the demo.

zeldablue

Hey this is my first post...

I'm suddenly very interested in this game. C:
I've only watched videos, but I feel like the gameplay will be really addictive for me. And I really wanna stay on the neutral side when it comes to Catherine and Katherine. Gah, I want to play the game...but I feel like I won't enjoy it alone with my mom. I think I'll wait till I'm back in college with my nerdy friends. And hopefully they'll find it as fascinating as I do.

Unfortunately I spoiled a looot of stuff. I didn't realize the game was ever coming to America, so I watched a Let's Play. Derp.

Well, right before I went to bed last night, my 360 standard edition preorder became a 360 "Love is Over" Deluxe edition preorder through Amazon. Im...... uh..... not sure how that happened.

Im sure of how that happened. : )
Can't wait!

Giolon

TheApatheticOne said:
Well, right before I went to bed last night, my 360 standard edition preorder became a 360 "Love is Over" Deluxe edition preorder through Amazon. Im...... uh..... not sure how that happened.

Im sure of how that happened. : )
Can't wait!

All that's in there extra is basically a shirt, some boxers, and a pizza box right?

The artbook and soundtrack are just general pre-order bonuses.

Lord Error said:
So what does happen in the full game if you fail the puzzle 13 times (that's how many repeats I was offerend in the demo). It's not going to be Game Over, Start the Game all Over Again, is it? How many times per level can you use Undo?
If you run out of retries, it's game over. You can start from your save but you'll have no retries left, which means you'd probably need to be reloading the game about fifty times on some levels.

Nintaiyo

This has probably already been answered, but I'm too lazy to sift through this thread. About what is the split between the puzzle and adventure elements?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nintaiyo said:
This has probably already been answered, but I'm too lazy to sift through this thread. About what is the split between the puzzle and adventure elements? And about how long is the game?

At least read the current page...

lljride

Reclaimer said:
Bah. Probably easy mode for me then. I'd hate to hit the rumored difficulty wall 7 hours in and have to start over just to see through the story. Thanks for the answer!

I think I'll do the same. From the comments here it sounds like I'd have a hard time getting through Normal. I'll just finish on Easy, get all the endings, then maybe try each stage individually on Normal or Hard.

ultron87

toythatkills said:
If you run out of retries, it's game over. You can start from your save but you'll have no retries left, which means you'd probably need to be reloading the game about fifty times on some levels.

Wait, so if I save, and then use all my retries, I then will always have no retries when loading from that save?

That sounds awful.

Go_Ly_Dow

Should we revive the review thread?

I'm sure there's a lot of people who are waiting for review scores before they dip.

Top Bottom