• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

I was on the fence for a while with this one, but the story and characters were too appealing to pass up + I won't be buying anything else until late September. Pre-ordered. I haven't had an "out of nowhere" purchase in a long time. Feels good man.

Reclaimer

Bebpo said:
I only read the first page or two, but you can change difficulty mid-game. Just hit start at the bar intermission and you can change. So feel free to start on a tougher difficulty and the drop back when it gets too tough. I'd recommend doing normal as far as you can and then dropping back to easy to finish it on your first run.
Fantastic! Others told me no, but I'd rather believe your answer. ;). Any more confirmation this works?

Also, playing the demo with the dpad seems to be the way to go. But my 360 controllers aren't quite up to the task. Yay for an excuse to buy a new controller!

What controller should I get for the 360 with a great dpad? Madcatz Fightpad? MS pad with transforming dpad? Other?

Autofokus said:
How easy is "easy" in this game? I totally suck at puzzle/puzzle platformer games and don't care about chievos, just want to enjoy the game. + another question: Is there any punishment for playing on easy (bad ending etc.)?
Grab the demo off PSN/XBL and see for yourself. From my own experience and from what I've read the game is challenging, even on the easy difficulty setting. Expect to die alot, if trial and error isn't your thing you probably won't be too thrilled with the gameplay.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JetBlackPanda said:
Pre ordered the PS3 version! Will I get the soundtrack and stuff?? Also was the PS3 version the way to go?

Yes the deluxe edition has the soundtrack/book inside of it while it will come separate with the regular.

And yes PS3 version was the way to go.

JetBlackPanda said:
Pre ordered the PS3 version! Will I get the soundtrack and stuff?? Also was the PS3 version the way to go?
Can't answer the first question for you but from what I've heard the PS3 version is the way to go because its d-pad is way better than the 360's

Mupod

Reclaimer said:
Also, playing the demo with the dpad seems to be the way to go. But my 360 controllers aren't quite up to the task. Yay for an excuse to buy a new controller!

What controller should I get for the 360 with a great dpad? Madcatz Fightpad? MS pad with transforming dpad? Other?

There's a Hori pad with a nice d-pad out there, my friend had one and loved it but it broke. Maybe he was just unlucky, probably worth looking into.

xbox-360-hori-controller-ex2-black.jpg

I've got a Razer Onza, and the d-pad is better than the stock and could probably be used to play Catherine just fine. But I use the analog anyways.

I wonder how it would play with an arcade stick, heh. Maybe I'll try later.

daffy

Banned
meh. had some unexpected purchases add up and will have to wait. Hope you all enjoy it :)

Net_Wrecker said:
I was on the fence for a while with this one, but the story and characters were too appealing to pass up + I won't be buying anything else until late September. Pre-ordered. I haven't had an "out of nowhere" purchase in a long time. Feels good man.
I know that feel babe.

Owzers

O______O this is one of those rare occasions where a game isn't on sale ANYWHERE. Best is 56.99 at buy.com

Even Shadows of the Damned had a kmart $15 game coupon at launch ( which i regretfully passed on)

Smo21

Not gonna have the money for this game till around September. Don't know if I'll still be able to find it then. What to do?

kai3345

Banned
Just played the demo, the graphics are great and they story seems interesting, but I'm not sure I really "get" the gameplay.

I mean do I really just push and climb blocks for a whole game?

I played 10 mins of the demo then stopped. I loved the voices, graphics are great, and story seems good. This is a out of nowhere day one buy. I want to support Atlus and see more things from them.

Can anyone help out a poor Australian with an order for this game? I just tried pre-ordering from Amazon but they won't ship the game overseas. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out here, I was hoping to pre-order so I could get the artbook and soundtrack which I was excited for.
If anyone is willing, they can PM me and we can work out the money and shipping.

kai3345 said:
Just played the demo, the graphics are great and they story seems interesting, but I'm not sure I really "get" the gameplay.

I mean do I really just push and climb blocks for a whole game?

There are adventure parts in the game that were completely left out of the demo. Seems like a strange decision to me.

Owzers

allegedly buy.com is offering $20 in their "super points" system... you get 2000 points with purchase of some versions but it's not clear what a point is worth. Still, i ordered Xo. Also to get points you have to purchase through buy.com's payment checkout and not amazon payments/paypal/throwing money at a tree.

I should be doing hw said:
Can anyone help out a poor Australian with an order for this game? I just tried pre-ordering from Amazon but they won't ship the game overseas. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out here, I was hoping to pre-order so I could get the artbook and soundtrack which I was excited for.
If anyone is willing, they can PM me and we can work out the money and shipping.

Try ordering from here: http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/730865001385

I'm from Australia and I got my Love Is Over edition from this site (shame it's sold out though :p)

OneMoreQuestion said:
Try ordering from here: http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/730865001385

I'm from Australia and I got my Love Is Over edition from this site (shame it's sold out though :p)
Doesn't seem like you get the Artbook or OST from that site though. It's all good though, I remembered some contacts from CAG from when I ordered Persona 4 back in '08. Kind of a nice roundabout way of doing it again with for the first time since with Catherine.
Thanks for your response though, mate. Much appreciated.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The second puzzle level in the demo convinced me that this game may last 3 days before I smashed it. I promptly deleted the demo after 10 tries. I love the story concept but I don't have the patience for puzzle games. I would only get this at bomba prices. I'll feel less bad for breaking a disc thats $19.99 or less than $60. No thanks.

truly101 said:
The second puzzle level in the demo convinced me that this game may last 3 days before I smashed it. I promptly deleted the demo after 10 tries. I love the story concept but I don't have the patience for puzzle games. I would only get this at bomba prices. I'll feel less bad for breaking a disc thats $19.99 or less than $60. No thanks.
There's an easier mode in the full game that's meant to be much more survivalable for non-puzzle folks.

Love the story, design and graphics but the game play just didn't click with me, at all.
Such a shame as I'm really intrigued as to how the whole game plays out.
I remember getting angry at somebody for watching the whole of Heavy Rain on YouTube but honestly, I'm kinda considering doing the same thing for this one :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Zeouterlimits said:
There's an easier mode in the full game that's meant to be much more survivalable for non-puzzle folks.

The demo is on easy mode unless there is an easier mode in retail. I won't write it off completely, but I can't pay $60 for something that just going to really anger me. Looking back, I've never bought or played puzzle games on a regular basis because I have terrible patience and temper. Couple that with the fact that the controls in this are really touchy just means I'm going to yell and throw things. I wish there was a press turn/one more RPG style game with the same story. Oh well.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I decided to try out the demo today. I should say that I had absolutely no desire to like this game. I don't like any kind of anime anything, and everything I saw about this game just looked too weird to me.

That being said, I really liked it. I was surprised that the game isn't out yet because I thought it was. Do we have any idea how long the game is? I feel like this still is a game I'd want to play in my room with the door closed so none of my roommates see me playing it, but it seems like underneath the "weird" is a pretty good story.

CaLe

This has probably been asked numerous times so I apologize, but are there any obvious differences between the 360 and ps3 versions ? Both perform equally ?

I'm just wondering if I should base my decision on which version to pick-up based on my controller preferences and the 1080p upscaling on 360.

Zafir

truly101 said:
The demo is on easy mode unless there is an easier mode in retail. I won't write it off completely, but I can't pay $60 for something that just going to really anger me. Looking back, I've never bought or played puzzle games on a regular basis because I have terrible patience and temper. Couple that with the fact that the controls in this are really touchy just means I'm going to yell and throw things. I wish there was a press turn/one more RPG style game with the same story. Oh well.
The demo doesn't contain the japanese patch, which made the easy mode, easier. The full retail version does.
CaLe said:
This has probably been asked numerous times so I apologize, but are there any obvious differences between the 360 and ps3 versions ? Both perform equally ?

I'm just wondering if I should base my decision on which version to pick-up based on my controller preferences and the 1080p upscaling on 360.
The PS3 version is meant to be the better version, with very slightly better graphics. There isn't that much in it though.

Tigel

CaLe said:

FMV cutscenes on 360 are a compressed mess. Go with the PS3 version :)

EDIT:
See for yourself.
360 FMV

PS3 FMV

Ken

pelicansurf said:
I'm really disappointed by the people who don't want to give the game a chance.
If they dismiss the game without having tried the demo, then yes, I agree that it's disappointing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CaLe said:

And you'll be using the d-pad a lot... so that should say a lot right there.

giancarlo123x said:
I played 10 mins of the demo then stopped. I loved the voices, graphics are great, and story seems good. This is a out of nowhere day one buy. I want to support Atlus and see more things from them.

Wish a lot more people went by this!

I love them

cj_iwakura

eshwaaz said:
Interesting. Where are you getting this information from?

Atlus staff confirmed.

Also! If anyone's interested, I'll be livestreaming JP Catherine tomorrow night.

Giving it a send off. I'll post if there's interest.

No spoilers, just Babel and maybe some Rapunzel.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Remij said:
LOL That can't be right can it? I'm getting the PS3 version anyways but I refuse to believe it's that compressed...
The ps3 version destroys it in FMV quality, but it's not always that bad, as the other comparison pics show. That one shot is taken from a complex scene with lots of fast motion and colors, which produces a lot more artifacting in heavily compressed video than in static scenes.

Yuterald

I'm still getting my PS3 copy Tuesday. I've been on a PS2 kick recently so I haven't been really thinking about this game or really any new game for that matter. I actually wanted to play El Shaddai more than this to be totally honest. Hope the game ends up being a nice surprise.

_woLf

FMV quality doesn't matter to me enough to swag a decision for platform, tbh. I'll be buying it on 360 just because I feel I'll have more incentive to replay for achievements and such.

Yanksfan

Finally tried the demo this weekend after hearing so much word of mouth for this. It went from a likely order next week to waiting until I can find it cheap. I love quirky games, but this isn't doing it for me so far. I am not a big fan of anime, so I did not take to the style, nor did I care about the texting aspect or the character interaction. I also didn't care for the block puzzle/climbing gameplay. I like the whole nightmare backdrop though and am interested to see what happens with it. I just hope I can put up with the rest to get there.

_woLf said:
FMV quality doesn't matter to me enough to swag a decision for platform, tbh. I'll be buying it on 360 just because I feel I'll have more incentive to replay for achievements and such.

even if the FMV's were equal the d-pad on the 360 makes it a no brainer.

I tried both demo's and on the PS3 version I never once made a wrong move, while the 360 version had me making all kinds of mistakes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently, the eb dude told me the release date is lifted on this. I can get it monday afternoon as soon as they get their shipment.

Wish I could've gotten deluxe though...

_woLf said:

Same. Badly compressed FMV does annoy the hell out of me, though. If I were to get it on PS3, I definitely would not have the motivation to complete it 100% because I don't really care about trophies. I'll 1000 it on the 360 though.

iconoclast said:
Same. Badly compressed FMV does annoy the hell out of me, though. If I were to get it on PS3, I definitely would not have the motivation to complete it 100% because I don't really care about trophies. I'll 1000 it on the 360 though.

I used to be like you, you need to start to platinum some games on PS3 so you have reason to play on both systems.

Top Bottom