• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

toythatkills said:
I've never heard a single report of someone getting caught from VG+. Not a single one.
True, the chances are low since Royal Mail rarely cares if it's a small package and under £100, but I've been caught a couple of times with large boxed items and the Love is Over edition is pretty large.

Psi

Some impressions from Siliconera

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/19/catherine-playtest-a-round-of-applause-for-the-golden-playhouse/

They say Normal lets you undo a move with Select. Is that new for the western release? I thought that was for Easy mode only.

I played Catherine on normal for my first run and there’s a cheat of sorts that makes the bosses easier. Normal gives players a chance to undo moves by pressing select. This also resets the boss’ attack pattern and reverses effects like blocks the boss changed.

I really hope this sells well for Atlus, they're probably the biggest Japanese developer we can count on not to under-deliver this gen.
How did Catherine sell in Japan?

BlazingDarkness said:
I really hope this sells well for Atlus, they're probably the biggest Japanese developer we can count on not to under-deliver this gen.

Over 250k. They expected it to sell 150k.

LiK

BlazingDarkness said:
Sold very well. It beat MvC3 as #1, iirc.

Azure Phoenix said:
PlanetAxel is a better choice, they ship from an EU warehouse so that you don't get any import taxes. VGP mark down, but it's worth the extra few pounds to avoid even the tiny risk of being caught.

However if you want the artbook and CD you might be too late if you order the standard edition from them, they removed the bonus notification ages ago. The Love is Over edition is the only one you are guaranteed to get it with now.

I'm not too fussed about the artbook, to be honest.

I'll try picking this up next week. Thanks!

Kazzy

I'm trying to hold off buying anymore games until this arrives, I 'll know they will just be thrown to the wayside if I don't manage to complete them beforehand. I can't wait, bah!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hype for this game :D Skipped the demo so that I can get the best experience :D

Kurtofan

NichM said:
The North American release of Catherine on Xbox 360 is specific to this region, like the vast majority of Xbox 360 games. Only the PS3 version is region-free.
Godammit why does Atlus hate Europe?

Spwn

Preordered the game in May iirc and really looking forward to the challenge it has to offer. Loved the demo. International mail can't be fast enough to deliver my copy from Canada to Finland.

NichM

Banned
Kurtofan said:
Godammit why does Atlus hate Europe?

We don't. We just don't operate in that territory, so we can't publish games there. The reason a game is region locked isn't because we hate European gamers and want them to suffer. :p

LiK

NichM said:
We don't. We just don't operate in that territory, so we can't publish games there. The reason a game is region locked isn't because we hate European gamers and want them to suffer. :p
Who are you??

NichM said:

I knew I bought that PS3 for a good reason!

NichM said:
Atlus need to set up base in the UK too, you are sorely missed

Reveirg

How fast are videogamesplus.ca for shipping? I live in Montreal and amazon.ca are really slow for shipping pre-ordered game. They ship them a few days AFTER the release date!

After playing the demo I immediately went ahead and preordered Catherine for $40 (had about $20 in credit). Everything from the challenging puzzle based game play to the aesthetic drew me in. I hope the game does well, it seems like every game released in western markets is the same these days...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I played the demo for this last night, and was surprised how much I liked it! I almost didn't give it a chance because of the, less face it, a bit embarrassing looking box art, that makes the game seem more like a bonus disc for the Maxim magazine.

After I started reading about it, everything was pointing to a game not being some raunchy crap but a nice and intriguing (mystical?) story about relationships - and the demo makes no mistake about this, it sells this intrigue very well. Even the block pushing puzzle gameplay which I thought would stick out like a sore thumb, actually felt perfectly right in place. It made it seem like you're playing though the nightmare, literally, what with some gravitational illogicals, earth under you crumbling as you struggle to go up, and typical banal nightmare symbolism that you can only shake your head at when you wake up (OMG, the girlfriend is chasing me to stab me down - commitment! - she's so huge and overpowering!). I like that the puzzles require you to think quick on your feet, and make you have an *aha* moment every once in a while.

Everything about the demo was great or at the very least endearing. I even liked the somewhat awkward dialogue pacing, and funny facial expressions. Liked how the animation mixes serious with goofy - it's like they got what's good about some of the anime, but eliminated what's horrible about it (or at least I hope so, from the demo it seems like that anyway). Humor works well, and characters are instantly likeable stereotypes just waiting to be used in some unexpected plot development. I think this is a game that people would love playing with their significant other, as it seems like a type of game where the second player can contribute a lot (figuring out puzzles, deciding together how to compose text messages), and enjoy the story along. I really like it, and I really wish the box art wasn't something that I'd feel I'll need to hide as far away from the view as possible when the guests are around. I'm literally worried that a lot of people who would otherwise be interested in the game would gloss it over because of this, even though their intention was mostly likely the opposite - to attract people on cover sex appeal alone.

Volcynika

NichM said:

As a proud American, I'm ok with Europe suffering!

NichM said:
Why is it region locked then, when the PS3 version isn't and some other (a vast minority, I grant you) Xbox 360 games are also region-free?

Is the same one that made this thread the same one who made that faq on gamefaqs? If so then nice detailed all the songs, I cant believe Mass Destruction isnt in the game, though Wiping All Out and Burn By Bread are nice to have in it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah yes, I just remembered one thing I didn't like: The wildly inconsitent audio levels between cutscenes and various kinds of gameplay. I had to adjust the volume all the time :\

Volcynika said:
JThtA.gif

Kurtofan

NichM said:
Wow, you work for Atlus?Sorry for the anger fit, it's just that I'm fed up of getting shafted on Japanese games =p
I guess you locked the game in case someone wants to buy the right to publish it in Europe?
Does that ever happen?the last game we got was P4 :(

Volcynika said:
You're a bad man.

Zafir said:
It's okay. We'll be stealing Xenoblade and The Last Story as payment.
We're holding these games as hostages until Atlus games reach our shores!

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Lord Error said:
Ah yes, I just remembered one thing I didn't like: The wildly inconsitent audio levels between cutscenes and various kinds of gameplay. I had to adjust the volume all the time :\

+1

I noticed the same thing and found it frustrating, especially since I had headphones on and was playing late at night.

Zafir

Kurtofan said:
Wow, you work for Atlus?Sorry for the anger fit, it's just that I'm fed up of getting shafted on Japanese games =p
I guess you locked the game in case someone wants to buy the right to publish it in Europe?
Does that ever happen?the last game we got was P4 :(
Well, we got Persona 3 Portable, ghostlight did a nice CE of it. Nice enough to make me buy it again...

The persona remake is download only on the PSN though.

Kurtofan

Zafir said:
Well, we got Persona 3 Portable, ghostlight did a nice CE of it. Nice enough to make me buy it again...

The persona remake is download only on the PSN though.
Oh yeah, I don't have a PSP...
Is it worth buying one now, or should I wait for the Vita?Are the games even backward compatible?

Zafir said:
It's okay. We'll be stealing Xenoblade and The Last Story as payment.

I don't see the fairness. As I think it's likely that Catherine will be coming over.

I would get both if they made it to NA.
If you want Catherine PS3 PM me, I'll buy you a copy and mail it to you for Amazon giftcard money.

Zafir

Kurtofan said:
Oh yeah, I don't have a PSP...
Is it worth buying one now, or should I wait for the Vita?Are the games even backward compatible?
Probably best to wait and see. The Vita won't be able to play UMDs, but it might be possible that it will be able to play PSP games bought on the PSN, depends whether they bother to put the software on. Then again, Sonys record for backwards compatibility isn't that great more recently.
demosthenes said:
I don't see the fairness. As I think it's likely that Catherine will be coming over.

I would get both if they made it to NA.
If you want Catherine PS3 PM me, I'll buy you a copy and mail it to you for Amazon giftcard money.
Well, Catherine isn't the only one we haven't got. Devil Survivor for the DS, Devil Summoner 2 for the PS2, and many others.

Really it isn't fair either of us don't get stuff. :/

Kurtofan

Zafir said:
Probably best to wait and see. The Vita won't be able to play UMDs, but it might be possible that it will be able to play PSP games bought on the PSN, depends whether they bother to put the software on. Then again, Sonys record for backwards compatibility isn't that great more recently.
I see, I'll probably wait till the Vita comes out and buy a PsP for cheap.
I hope they won't discontinue their online services.

Ricker

Couldn`t beat the demo on easy mode lol but the hell with it,I`m getting it anyway,I loved the story/direction in the cut scenes and I want to see how it turns out...i`ll check walkthroughs and what not to try and complete the game...is there a very easy mode ? lol

Why isn't Persona 3 Portable available on the UK PSN? I can understand not having physical offices in Europe to distribute the games but what's stopping having it release digitally on there? My PSP broke and I really want to buy it for Vita

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought the demo was pretty easy, but I'm sure the game on Normal is going to kill me. This thread will be the outlet of much future rage on my part.

froliq

BlazingDarkness said:
Why isn't Persona 3 Portable available on the UK PSN? I can understand not having physical offices in Europe to distribute the games but what's stopping having it release digitally on there? My PSP broke and I really want to buy it for Vita
It actually did get a physical european release not long ago. Alot of PSP games aren't avaible on PSN though. Which is very weird since they released the PSPgo who could only get the games digitally and yet they don't put every game on PSN.

Top Bottom