• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funnily enough I don't think any places closed for work today, at least myself and all of my friends are working.

Why would they? There is absolutely nothing going on to even cause a delay. My commute in at 6:30 AM was a breeze though.

As someone who grew up in the Midwest and moved to Austin 9 years ago, I found this morning's school delays to be hilarious. With only three weeks until I move out of Austin for good, I'm wondering what other hilarity they can send my way before I'm gone.

Pastry

Banned
Why would they? There is absolutely nothing going on to even cause a delay. My commute in at 6:30 AM was a breeze though.

As someone who grew up in the Midwest and moved to Austin 9 years ago, I found this morning's school delays to be hilarious. With only three weeks until I move out of Austin for good, I'm wondering what other hilarity they can send my way before I'm gone.

Overpasses were shutdown in San Antonio this morning, I was thirty minutes late to work. I don't know what the weather was like in Austin.

Why no guapel or whatever in Austin :( I want tomorrow off work!
San Marcos definitely got got some guac this morning, my Twitter was blown up.

Anyways yesterday I finally checked out Whole Foods Domain and fkn loved it. Not quite as huge as the 5th st location but waaaaaaaaay better than the puny Gateway location.

Also, that beer selection. They had yuzu beer! o_O

Overpasses were shutdown in San Antonio this morning, I was thirty minutes late to work. I don't know what the weather was like in Austin.

There was absolutely nothing in Austin today. Zero. Zip. Nada. Why they delayed school is beyond me.

I do understand that there were issues to the south of us, but Austin was ridiculous.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
ROFL

There are flurries...500 miles away, with a 20% chance by some automated weather prediction system that is increasingly not fitting reality, and they're delaying school?

God damn kids have it good today.

Saw the announcements coming across the television earlier and couldn't believe it. They are really gun-shy here at the moment. Maybe it'll mean my morning commute will go better. I have a plane to catch in the afternoon though, so I hope everything is good by then.

That dip n dot snow stuff was funny this morning. I had never seen that before. My night class got cancelled and we had a test in it. Thank you based snow

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but a new arcade is opening in San Antonio on February 15th, two weeks from now.

https://www.facebook.com/UltraArcade

I'll be wearing my NeoGAF shirt and hope some of SanAntonioGAF are able to make it.

I'll be out of town for a jiu jitsu tournament :(

It started sprinkling on Mopac while I was driving south and the fucking water started freezing on my windshield. Could barely see shit before my heat saved the day...that was quite an interesting drive.

It started sprinkling on Mopac while I was driving south and the fucking water started freezing on my windshield. Could barely see shit before my heat saved the day...that was quite an interesting drive.

Ice is forming on the steps leading in to my office building. The building manager is outside spreading sand.

Meier

For everyone who travels frequently downtown, be on alert: APD isn't fucking around with the new "bus only" lanes.

Based on the article, I guess they must have just been issuing formal warnings before. I definitely noticed a few cars get pulled over (I live in South Austin and drive through downtown to get to work at UT) in the days prior to this. I wish they would have finished doing all the road work first! Some of the roads have had a lane removed effectively and then have 1 or 2 lanes closed due to construction. It's an absolute nightmare. :(

For those curious, here is some info about tomorrow. Could see closures again:

The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a winter weather advisory (http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=ewx&wwa=winter weather advisory) for Central Texas counties from midnight until 6 p.m. tomorrow, Tuesday, February 11, 2014. The university will be monitoring this situation overnight and evaluating the weather and road conditions in the region as well as on and around campus.

If a decision is made to delay opening or close campus due to weather, we will communicate that by 5:30 a.m. Updates specific to closure and reopening will be available through local media, the university homepage, http://www.utexas.edu/, the emergency page, http://www.utexas.edu/emergency, the university's Facebook page and Twitter feed and by calling the university's emergency information number, (512) 232-9999.

Meier

Chromeo is playing in Austin at stubbs BBQ on April 7, would be cool to see some gaffers and listen to some funky music :p

I am going to the Young the Giant show this Saturday and Lord Huron on Monday. Also seeing Ellie Goulding next month by myself since my wife is not even remotely a fan. :lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
NOAA just changed to forecasted low to 31 with chance of freezing rain.

It's happenededing dot gif.

At best I'm getting a 2 hour delay but I'll take it

Meier

Anyway, does anyone else here enjoy the Dudley and Bob show? GoAT status.

Not a fan personally. I do love me some Jason and Deb though. I used to also listen to Bobby Bones when he was on the pop channel but country music is just so godawful that I can't even deal these days. I think he's gotten more up his own ass with all of the added fame too.

Zoe

Not a fan personally. I do love me some Jason and Deb though. I used to also listen to Bobby Bones when he was on the pop channel but country music is just so godawful that I can't even deal these days. I think he's gotten more up his own ass with all of the added fame too.

I could tolerate the country music if it was at the same amount as when he was on KISS, but they're playing a lot more songs and spending a lot more time on artist interviews.

I'm moving to Nashville in a little more than two weeks, and when I was there this past weekend, I saw a sign for Bobby Bones. I guess I won't be able to escape him there either, although I don't really listen to him much anyway.

Meier

I could tolerate the country music if it was at the same amount as when he was on KISS, but they're playing a lot more songs and spending a lot more time on artist interviews.

Yeah, when we drive in it's either a long ass commercial break or just music. We'd hear maybe 3-5 minutes of actual morning show banter on average. No thanks. I don't really care for pop music either but in small doses it was fine and they played all their silly games and took requests on Fridays that broke up the monotony -- none of that stuff any more. LB seems quite marginalized too and he was the best part of the show IMO.

Bobby Bones moved to a country radio station? That's really disappointing.

About a year ago. Clear Channel had the show move to Nashville and he took over as their flagship country morning show host. I think the show is on in like 60 markets now and is expanding. He still does his sports show on the weekend as well but I've never actually listened to it.

Negator

That new arcade in the OP is opening in about 15 minutes. I'll swing by around 1 P.M. to start practicing for the smash tournament. Hope to see some of you there!

That new arcade in the OP is opening in about 15 minutes. I'll swing by around 1 P.M. to start practicing for the smash tournament. Hope to see some of you there!
Yeah, I'll probably get there around 1 as well. I won't be in any tourneys but I'll have a few drinks and a good time.

Negator

Yeah, I left around 5 PM and I don't think I'm going back for today. It was so crowded it was beyond fire-hazard level

I was going to go back and get photos, but went to the ADDY Gala at the Mcknay instead. My wife is getting an ADDY award tonight.

Edit: Yeah, Negator, I decided it would be a dick move not to go,

Edit2: I forgot how much I liked KI:2 arcade, but man, some of those guys who came up later we're damned good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom