• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
South Austin is Best Austin.

In terms of cuisine I'd grant you that downtown and soco are the best. But North Austin has Asia Cafe, Fonda San Miguel, Ramen Tatsuya, and...shit. We don't have much.

In terms of cuisine I'd grant you that downtown and soco are the best. But North Austin has Asia Cafe, Fonda San Miguel, Ramen Tatsuya, and...shit. We don't have much.
At least we have the best banh mi in Austin up here (Baguette House).

Anyways... any of you guys go out for Valentines day? My restaurant had a crazy-good weekend.

Also: FUCK YES WINTER HAS PASSED ITS TIME TO PARTY

Zoe

We tried going to Pluckers with a group... big mistake. Ended up retreating to J & J's in Cedar Park.

Meier

Anyways... any of you guys go out for Valentines day? My restaurant had a crazy-good weekend.

Also: FUCK YES WINTER HAS PASSED ITS TIME TO PARTY

We ended up going to Red's Porch. No wait, woot! They stopped including fries with their burgers/sandwiches though which is a real wtf decision. :(

rothgar

Where is your restaurant?
I took my wife to Sullivan's. We hadn't been there in a couple of years, and it's changed a lot. It used to be quiet and dark, so brighter and there are more tables. Still has some great steaks..

Nostremitus said:
I forgot how much I liked KI:2 arcade, but man, some of those guys who came up later we're damned good.
I loved that game too. I just remembered I have a KI:2 jamma board in my closet. If anybody in Austin is interested in buying it, PM me.

Sydle

How could you forget Uchiko and North (at the Domain)? They're two of my favorite reasons to make the trip across town.

teh_pwn

How could you forget Uchiko and North (at the Domain)? They're two of my favorite reasons to make the trip across town.

North looks interesting. Will have to hit that place up with work colleagues or a date.

jdavid459

I wanna go to SXSW in March but I called the hostel (forget name) in Austin to see if they had a room available. Nope . Don't think I could afford staying at an actual hotel. :( Looks like a fun time.

Zoe

You either need to get a room with a group way in advance or couch surf. SxSW isn't really for the poor masses anymore.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You either need to get a room with a group way in advance or couch surf. SxSW isn't really for the poor masses anymore.

True for accommodations but it's still really easy to have a great time and a full schedule just doing free things. Keep your ear to the ground and you don't even need to buy food or drinks.

pirata

I wanna go to SXSW in March but I called the hostel (forget name) in Austin to see if they had a room available. Nope . Don't think I could afford staying at an actual hotel. :( Looks like a fun time.

There's no way you could possibly get any sort of hotel/motel/hostel room without booking months in advance. Your best bet, as they said, is to couch surf or know someone in Austin who you can crash with. Do you perhaps know anyone who knows anyone in Austin?

True for accommodations but it's still really easy to have a great time and a full schedule just doing free things. Keep your ear to the ground and you don't even need to buy food or drinks.

Yep. I've never paid for any sort of pass or anything before. There's an insane amount of free shows and other stuff you can do, and the people-watching is world class.

Speaking of SXSW, my friend from Germany is going to be staying with me for several days that week, and I'm not really sure what to do with him! He's really into video games, so maybe one thing I could do is take him to a GAF meet-up at SXSW Gaming like we had last year?

Meier

I was looking at airbnb and people rent out couches here for like hundreds of bucks or more a night. Incredible, I've been giving away so much free money!

Speaking of SXSW, my friend from Germany is going to be staying with me for several days that week, and I'm not really sure what to do with him! He's really into video games, so maybe one thing I could do is take him to a GAF meet-up at SXSW Gaming like we had last year?

LMK if you're setting something up. Build a post and PM me and I'll add it to the OP.

There's no way you could possibly get any sort of hotel/motel/hostel room without booking months in advance. Your best bet, as they said, is to couch surf or know someone in Austin who you can crash with. Do you perhaps know anyone who knows anyone in Austin?

Yep. I've never paid for any sort of pass or anything before. There's an insane amount of free shows and other stuff you can do, and the people-watching is world class.

I'd be down for that if I make my way up to Austin.

teh_pwn

What's the best way to get to SXSW these days for someone that lives in north Austin? As in how far should I expect to be able to park?

I'm going to have family in town and I want to hit up the gaming expo.

Zoe

What's the best way to get to SXSW these days for someone that lives in north Austin? As in how far should I expect to be able to park?

I'm going to have family in town and I want to hit up the gaming expo.

I took the train and walked last year.

teh_pwn

That bad huh? I didn't even think about the train. Let's see what others say.

But another Austin topic - holy shit the cost of living is increasing. My apartment jumped up to $850 a month this year, and so I looked at houses and other apartments only to find it was a general trend. So I'm not moving. I think other apartments that I was interested in start at $850 for the first year, and houses that I'm interested in are ~$5k in property taxes per year which is over half what I pay in rent per year.

Zoe

Unless demand drops in our area (it won't), we're gonna have to go further North into Round Rock or Cedar Park if we want a house :\

Well, maybe the Anderson Mill area will work out. Murders and graffiti drop property values, right?

teh_pwn

It's not that I couldn't get a house. It's more that I'm single, don't want to spend all of my weekends maintaining a palace, and it's just not fiscally optimal to jump into a 30 year mortgage which such huge property taxes. If I got a house, the amount of money I'd never see again per month would be substantially higher than what I pay for rent.

I'm investing into stock funds. It will be 100% down or whatever is there when I need a house to raise a family.

But yeah, most people just lock into modern serfdom. I have coworkers that did 0% down in Leander in 2007 when we started when the commute was tolerable. Not so tolerable anymore.

Edit: SomewhatGroovy may bitch slap me with professional financial advice if I'm wrong. :p

Archpath1

something for you guys to do gaming related, Launch Party for Titanfall on the 10th

Info:
http://majornelson.com/2014/02/27/launch-titanfall-with-us-in-austin-on-twitch-and-nationwide/

To celebrate the launch of “the most important game in years,” Xbox One will be hosting a launch celebration in Austin, Texas at SXSW on March 10, with special guests from Respawn Entertainment. Xbox Corporate Vice President Yusuf Mehdi will be joined by Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella and community manager Abbie Heppe, along with fans, developers, and SXSW attendees.

Located at the Microsoft Studio at 323 Congress, the celebration (Facebook event page here) will kick off at 9pm, featuring exclusive opportunities to meet the developers behind Titanfall, cool giveaways, and of course, lots of Titanfall gameplay. A special performance by Childish Gambino, one of the most exciting young talents in music, mixing a unique blend of hip-hop genres, will cap the evening.

Attendance will be on a first come, first served basis – although we’re planning other ways for folks to get into the event – keep an eye on Twitter for more details on that.

Zoe

I saw a bunch of lightning on the way home from the gym, but no rain.

The apathy around the office is palpable. Spring Break can't come soon enough so we can just wipe the slate clean.

teh_pwn

Work not delayed, but it does not look safe out there. Ice everywhere. I can see ice caking my Directv dish.

So did everyone hear the news?? British Airways is now flying daily, non-stop flights to London from Austin International using the 787 dreamliner. Swoooon.

Zoe

Work not delayed, but it does not look safe out there. Ice everywhere. I can see ice caking my Directv dish.

I slipped on my porch trying to take pictures of the trees. Oops.

Everything is melting now, but traffic was pretty bad approaching 183@620. Tons of people still taking the toll road even though you have to go slow.

AkuMifune

Banned
i moved to austin because all of the fun outdoorsy things to do

when will the weather get nice again :(

It doesn't feel like it now, but you're gonna regret that statement!

Next week at least looks to be nice and I think this weekend is daylight savings. Will be nice to be leaving work when it's light and be able to get some basketball in under the sun again.

Austinites, feel free to drop by Booth 260 at the Games Expo. We will be showing Ephemerid and will have this guy (vine link) who dances a little boogie every time someone follows @SuperChopGames on Twitter!

The Games Expo is free! Come by and say hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom