• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, one of my long-time friends has opened up a simple takeout/dine-in Chinese food store on South Lamar, called A-OK Chinese (more info here). John used to be the executive chef at Alamo before their menu turned lame, worked at Mars before that, and he was personally responsible for making the food at my wedding reception. Point is, I've never eaten anything that wasn't some level of excellent in all the years that I've known him. Their website isn't fully up yet, so their only doing walk-ins at the moment.

Please give it a shot and pass the info along if you like what you eat. Looking forward to trying it out for myself finally.

Meier

So, one of my long-time friends has opened up a simple takeout/dine-in Chinese food store on South Lamar, called A-OK Chinese (more info here). John used to be the executive chef at Alamo before their menu turned lame, worked at Mars before that, and he was personally responsible for making the food at my wedding reception. Point is, I've never eaten anything that wasn't some level of excellent in all the years that I've known him. Their website isn't fully up yet, so their only doing walk-ins at the moment.

Please give it a shot and pass the info along if you like what you eat. Looking forward to trying it out for myself finally.
Good to hear it's open! I always try and take a peek at that plaza when we drive by and didn't think I had seen it yet. Let us know if/when you're going. I'm sure Alissa would be happy to go.. been too long since we hung out!

I read about A-OK Chinese on eater.com. Sadly, I live waaaaaaay up north so I'm rarely in that neck of the woods... but when I move to central/south this fall, I'll definitely check it out.

AkuMifune

Banned
Was in the IKEA up in Round Rock yesterday, some guy says to me about my stacked boxes, "Your cart looks like Tetris." I said, "yeah well shopping here is like surviving Dark Souls". And then got the weirdest look back.

Instantly couldn't explain what I meant and felt ashamed for trying to be funny in public again.

Bulk_Rate

Was in the IKEA up in Round Rock yesterday, some guy says to me about my stacked boxes, "Your cart looks like Tetris." I said, "yeah well shopping here is like surviving Dark Souls". And then got the weirdest look back.

Instantly couldn't explain what I meant and felt ashamed for trying to be funny in public again.

Shopping there can be crazy for sure, but "Smallland" there is where the real Dark Souls begins for sure. We dropped my son off there a while back, navigated for 30 mins, reached the cafeteria.

As soon as we sat down, my little buzzer lit up (early; kids can stay in Smallland for an hour). I had to jog back to the entrance (if this was really DS there would be a REAL shortcut) - some psycho kid/orc had BITTEN my son. I gave that kid the stinkeye.

IKEA on weekends is scary.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Austin road trip in 9 days.

i8RP1q8heGYqK.gif

It's about a 40 minute walk from our motel to 6th street but screw it not getting a cab unless it's absolutely necessary. Good way to walk off some of that food and beer. We're kind of sort of not really close to Crown and Anchor at least, that'll be a nice nostalgia trip!

kai3345

Banned

i8RP1q8heGYqK.gif

It's about a 40 minute walk from our motel to 6th street but screw it not getting a cab unless it's absolutely necessary. Good way to walk off some of that food and beer. We're kind of sort of not really close to Crown and Anchor at least, that'll be a nice nostalgia trip!

I live North of Campus and walk downtown and back all the time, idk why people make such a big deal of it.

Zoe

Surely the E bus or one of the late night buses goes by that area.

Don't really get the appeal of 6th street though, especially if you're not in college anymore.

Servbot24

Banned

i8RP1q8heGYqK.gif

i live right next to c&a :)

walking downtown is easy, i do it all the time

Sub_Level

Surely the E bus or one of the late night buses goes by that area.

Don't really get the appeal of 6th street though, especially if you're not in college anymore.

We're goin Friday cuz we were gonna be at the Ritz anyways plus my friend has never been to Austin so it will be neat for him to see! Hoping to stumble upon a bar with live music. Last time I went we did the walk from c&a to 6th and had no problems; its just different from what we're used to where we live where walking is less practical than a car.

Meier

I work in the Chemical Engineering dept so Crown and Anchor is almost right across the street from my building. The jalapeno cheese burger and fries is such a good deal. Yum.

DaRabidDuckie

I neglect this thread far too much.

I was too sick to do anything during SXSW, but that's probably a good thing considering all the insane shit that happened this year. SXSW to a non-participant is like having a relative you barely like come into down who spends the entire time drunk, wrecks your place, pukes in the bushes, and then says "See you next year!"

I work in the Chemical Engineering dept so Crown and Anchor is almost right across the street from my building. The jalapeno cheese burger and fries is such a good deal. Yum.

Crown and Anchor is just good stuff all around the board. Can't beat cheap pitchers. I used to go there a lot when I hung out at UFO more.

I neglect this thread far too much.

I was too sick to do anything during SXSW, but that's probably a good thing considering all the insane shit that happened this year. SXSW to a non-participant is like having a relative you barely like come into down who spends the entire time drunk, wrecks your place, pukes in the bushes, and then says "See you next year!"
And I already had plenty of that during my time down at Texas State. :p

Anyway, who else experienced that random hail yesterday? 83 degrees, then all of a sudden quarter-sized hailstones.

Anyway, who else experienced that random hail yesterday? 83 degrees, then all of a sudden quarter-sized hailstones.
Don't be fooled by the drought we've experienced for the better part of a decade, that is typical weather for this time of year. Tornadoes and hail storms from April to June.

So there's a new food trailer on 6th that I'm definitely checking out this week. It's non-trendy Japanese food from a couple guys who've worked at the likes of Uchi, Nobu, Bar Masa, etc.

Kyoten

This blogger put up a rather informative review of the place, if you need pictures.

The area looks wonderful, and I've sat in front of Otto at Uchi's sushi bar. He's a great guy. Just by looking at their menu, this is exactly the sort of place I love. Definitely gonna have to support this.

I work off of 360 and today, traffic was backed up on the 360 overpass right above 183.

For a few days now, these two guys have been hanging an "Impeach Obama" sign. Today, traffic was backed because cop cars stopped to have a talk with them. I couldn't pull my camera out fast enough, but they were holding what were seemingly two AK-47s!

I'm curious what the outcome was and if they'll be there tomorrow. I'll be sure to have my camera ready just in case.

Fucking crazy
Wow, please do.

Zoe

You want golden curry? :3

Mmmmm

I work off of 360 and today, traffic was backed up on the 360 overpass right above 183.

For a few days now, these two guys have been hanging an "Impeach Obama" sign. Today, traffic was backed because cop cars stopped to have a talk with them. I couldn't pull my camera out fast enough, but they were holding what were seemingly two AK-47s!

I'm curious what the outcome was and if they'll be there tomorrow. I'll be sure to have my camera ready just in case.

Fucking crazy

This was mentioned on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/221w5a/to_the_people_open_carrying_on_the_overpass_of/

Sub_Level

That's coincidental, I'm all the way on the western tip of the state and saw a group of people holding Obama impeachment signs over the freeway pass not but a few weeks ago.

Meier

I know there are fans of this place in the thread. I don't eat ramen personally.

Cultishly loved ramen shop Ramen Tatsu-Ya is officially expanding to South Austin. The restaurant instagrammed the photo above last night, which appears to be of 1234 S. Lamar Boulevard. Eater has reached out to Tatsu-Ya for comment; watch this space for updates.
http://austin.eater.com/archives/2014/04/04/ramen-tatsuya-is-expanding-to-south-austin.php

Looks like it'd be opening just a bit south of the Drafthouse. Kinda near where that restaurant squidhands mentioned.

AkuMifune

Banned
I know there are fans of this place in the thread. I don't eat ramen personally..

Ramen seems like a funny thing to not eat. Get sick on it once or just worried about the sodium?

Gonna be a crazy weekend at the Texas Veg Fest 2014. Things might get out of control!

Zoe

Nah, I just don't like onions and a few other things that are pretty much always in real ramen.

I tend to be pretty picky about toppings, and none of the stuff in the Miso ramen really bothers me. Actually I don't like the egg, but the bf is more than willing to eat it for me.

g3A1ucu.jpg

I suppose it does have green onions, but you might be able to ask for it without? I never taste it, but then again I always get the Hot version.

Edit: oh yeah, I don't eat the menma either.

I know there are fans of this place in the thread. I don't eat ramen personally.

http://austin.eater.com/archives/2014/04/04/ramen-tatsuya-is-expanding-to-south-austin.php

Looks like it'd be opening just a bit south of the Drafthouse. Kinda near where that restaurant squidhands mentioned.
Speaking of which, A-OK posted their takeout menu on facebook. I'll post it here for anyone who's interested. Still haven't had the chance to go (I'm a terrible friend), but soon. Gotta try the green tea ice cream in a fortune cookie cone.

10152033_262191310630geu3h.jpg

Sub_Level

This has been a more intense trip so far between the traffic and a little physical altercation I got into last night lol (nobody got seriously hurt) We will see about swinging by Bourbon Girl tonight! Not gonna drink too much tho, had our fill last night. Bout to take off to San Antonio and chill at the Riverwalk. Joe's Crab Shack! (I know theres one in austin but my friend hasnt been to sa either)

Feltrol

Banned
This has been a more intense trip so far between the traffic and a little physical altercation I got into last night lol (nobody got seriously hurt) We will see about swinging by Bourbon Girl tonight! Not gonna drink too much tho, had our fill last night. Bout to take off to San Antonio and chill at the Riverwalk. Joe's Crab Shack! (I know theres one in austin but my friend hasnt been to sa either)

Have you visited Barton Creek Square Mall yet? I always go with my family there. I like it. :)

Would recommend more places, but I always forget the names of the places I visit when I'm there. :p

Sub_Level

Is that the one with the microsoft and apple stores? If so, yes! I remember it being very pleasant.

Zoe

Microsoft is at the Domain outdoors.

Do people even go to the malls anymore? Seems like the farmers markets get more traffic.

Sub_Level

Aw, I see. When I told the waitress lady our motel was way back in Austin she was like o_O u wot m8

Im surprised so many torture themselves by parking in the congested inner downtown lots. Found a huge empty lot just a few blocks away for only $6.

DaRabidDuckie

So I dunno if I've ever invited you guys out to this, but every Thursday night I meet up with friends at Epoch Coffee on North Loop and play Skullgirls from 8 PM to midnight.

This Thursday also happens to be my birthday, and instead of meeting up at the Flying Saucer like last year, I figure I'd just combine the two.

So anywho, come out at 8 PM this Thursday, have some beverages (I recommend the Texas Gold iced tea), and say hi.

Facebook event page, open to the public: https://www.facebook.com/events/556418824471860/

Sub_Level

Damn bro I would've gone but already came back to hometown on Sunday. Happy future bday!

Went to some arcade bar on West 6th Friday night. Man, those drinks get expensive. Think I payed $7 including a small tip for a shot of Jameson. I'm aware of WHY liquor is marked up like that but it's still surprising whenever I think about it. As a minimum wage worker that's a whole hour of work for me in one small shot! Their game selection wasn't too great but it was packed to the brim, so maybe on a more chill night it would've been cooler. Someone needs to get a makeshift Hotline Miami machine working at one of these bars; that game is perfect for arcades.

Overall it was a good trip. Getting more of a sense of how things work over there including traffic. If I visit again this year it'll prolly be looking for work and/or visiting a school.

Meier

By the way, Ramen Tatsuya location is pretty much guaranteed at that spot unless someone just had some wishful thinking. I've noticed it's been tagged RAMEN COMING SOON! or something along those lines in big letters on the front of the building (which is fenced off for construction).

Zoe

By the way, Ramen Tatsuya location is pretty much guaranteed at that spot unless someone just had some wishful thinking. I've noticed it's been tagged RAMEN COMING SOON! or something along those lines in big letters on the front of the building (which is fenced off for construction).

Yeah, the Instagram photo shows them doing the tagging.

mojiimbo

Anyone been to COTA for a concert recently and have any insight into the parking situation? I was going for Arcade Fire tomorrow night and was wondering what to expect. I remember people saying it was a clusterfuck during F1 weekend but wasn't sure if that went for concerts too.

Thanks!

Meier

Anyone been to COTA for a concert recently and have any insight into the parking situation? I was going for Arcade Fire tomorrow night and was wondering what to expect. I remember people saying it was a clusterfuck during F1 weekend but wasn't sure if that went for concerts too.

Thanks!

I went once (the Dave Chappelle roadshow tour last year) and it was okay. I bought my parking pass online well in advance and it went smoothly.

Kyne

I drive through 183/360 everyday from work. Those gun-lovers have recruited like 3-4 other people.. one of them was straight up dressed like a captain.

F5CG_July_4_Revolutionary_War_01_RGB.jpg

Is it just me, or are there more bees/wasps flying around now? I know it's spring and all, but in the 3.5 years I've been living here I never encountered so many before.

I hate it because every time I see one of those things I flinch. They also love swarming around the trash cans near bus stops, too. =/

It's only a matter of time before one of these things get me. Bugs seem to hate me for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom