• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do512's rumored list of ACL bands has me salivating. Fuck, I hope these are mostly true: http://do512.com/ACLFestRumors/artists

YOUNG THE GIANT
PHANTOGRAM
WHITE DENIM
EMINEM
CAGE THE ELEPHANT
GIRL TALK
BECK
CALVIN HARRIS
THE NAKED & FAMOUS
BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB
ELLIE GOULDING
BEAR HANDS
ROYAL BLOOD
ALOE BLACC
ARCADE FIRE
NEON TREES
BROKEN BELLS
DESERT NOISES
LORDE
BASTILLE
FRANK TURNER
FUTURE ISLANDS
FLEETWOOD MAC
THE 1975
OUTKAST
LONDON GRAMMAR
PORTUGAL THE MAN
INTERPOL
KINGS OF LEON
CROSSES
MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA
ARCTIC MONKEYS
CHROMEO
PHOSPHORESCENT
THE KOOKS
FOSTER THE PEOPLE
GROUPLOVE
FLUME
HAIM
WAXAHATCHEE
CHVRCHES
SKRILLEX

Damn! This list is almost too good to be true. I might have to go to ACL this year.
oh. It would be $450 if I wanted to attend both weekends.. I wonder if that's worth it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I still haven't done Franklin. I would say double date and completely invade Zoe's super seriallly secret private life, but I was thinking of Zilker preserve or Westcave preserve or something to wide angle lens shoot.

I was in Austin a few days ago during a cross-country road trip I took with my brother. We made a special stop there just to go to Franklin Barbecue. We arrived the night before and had a meal at Swift's Attic, which was excellent. I got us up early the next morning and we were in line by 8:15. We were 44-45 in line. I counted periodically and at one point the line was ~275 people. I think after they approximated what was going to be served that day and cut off the line, it was about 200 deep. We waited four hours before we reached the front of the line. It was worth every minute.

The guy who takes/slices up your order cuts you a bite of brisket to sample. I will remember the taste of that for the rest of my life, it was that good. My brother and I ordered 1lb. of brisket, 1/2 rack ribs, 2 sausage links, Twisty Texas sandwich (shredded beef and sausage), potato salad, cole slaw, bread, 2 pickled jalapeños, pecan pie tart and 2 beers. It was amazing, one of (if not the) best meals I've had in my life, and certainly the best BBQ. We crossed the next four states stopping periodically to replenish the ice keeping the leftovers cool and cursing ourselves for not ordering more.

GaEyuDY.jpg

teh_pwn

Swift's attic is also on my list! You did 2 of my TODOs in 1 trip.

One of my work buddies somehow had Franklin's BBQ for lunch one day. Said something about ordering it. He's a native. I'll ask him how he did this. Perhaps he has connections.

My list is a combination of Fed Man 55 and Yelp's top restaurants. I have been to somewhere between 1/3-1/2 of them. Mostly documented here. Though my shots of Asia Cafe are post some attrition in cooking staff. No more "Numba Twentay Onnnnnneeeee" dude. Place is still good but it used to be legendary for Austin.

teh_pwn

What camera do you have? Lens?

I love taking pictures of food. Though I think I'm going to stick with D3200 + 35mm f/1.8 because it's a light prime lens and takes delicious pictures of bokehed food. Though I'm going to wide angle something this weekend. It might be places for my girlfriend to move to, but whatever.

And thanks for the link. I might go tomorrow.

Zoe

It's a 5100 with the same lens, but I think I might have been using a 50mm back then. I've definitely got a steadier hand and a better feel for lighting now. I've fallen off the wagon though, and my photos definitely can't compare to yours.

teh_pwn

Ha, I'm a total amateur. I only know how to do 1 thing - bokeh with food. I'm going to learn how to do wide angle photography somehow. Seriously might be apartment hunting this weekend and hopefully some landscapes.

Meier

Great story, adams! It's so worth it, Zoe -- you're gonna be glad you finally did it.

Not familiar with Swift's Attic but it must be good if it's on a restaurant to do list.

Timeaisis

I still haven't done Franklin after year here...I need to come up with an excuse to.

Come to think of it I haven't had Fonda san Miguel yet either...and I live up north so I really have no reason not to.

So much food to try and they seem to open up new places every month.

Speaking of Swift's Attic, the latest Munchies episode focused on Callie Speer, pastry chef of Swift's Attic (and wife of Philip Speer from Uchi fame).

They're gonna upload a Ramen Tatsuya episode soon.

One of my work buddies somehow had Franklin's BBQ for lunch one day. Said something about ordering it. He's a native. I'll ask him how he did this. Perhaps he has connections..
Sometimes (but not always!) Franklins website has a google calendar link that you can use to email them in advance for an order of food for whichever days are still listed as available (5lb minimum order), and on that day you can arrive right before they open, skip the line entirely and pick up your food right then and there. I did this last year and the wait was almost two months before the first available day during which I could pick up an order.

Was worth every hour of those two months that I waited. Only barbecue joint to come close for me is Oklahoma Joes in Kansas City.

Zoe

Nice! Are those your empty chairs? Or a bit further back in line?

Those are ours. We're expected to get in around noon.

Edit: they just handed out the Last Man Standing sign. The line didn't even make it past the parking lot :lol

I wish I could afford to take a week off work and spend 500 dollars on an ACL / SXSW pass...I don't know how people afford this stuff lol.

500 bucks on an ACL pass isn't too bad IMHO. Some of the SXSW passes/badges I've seen in the thousands for all access though, that's a lot lol. I can afford to do it personally, but since I have 0 friends where I live, I don't do anything. Some people also have ridiculously dope jobs that pay a lot. It just takes time to get to that point, but I definitely feel your frustration on it lol.

besada

Banned
Hey, so I have a proposal.

This thread has essentially turned into a community thread, which -- as a fellow Texan -- I'm fine with, except it's in the wrong place.

So, my proposal is that instead of having a Texas community thread inside an Austin meet up thread, one of the regular posters here just goes ahead and creates a Texas community thread in OT Community.

I could just move this thread over there, and if you guys think that's a better idea, I will. But I figured we might do a more Texas-inclusive thread over there, and send folks to it when they ask Texas questions in other threads.

If someone is interested in doing an OP for such a thread, let me know via PM and we'll get it done. If you guys would rather I just moved this thread over (and I can rename it, if you like) that's okay, too.

What do you think?

Seems like a good idea in theory, But texas is so damn huge, it's not like if someone posts about a meetup in dallas I'm going to be able to pick up and drive right over

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Seems like a good idea in theory, But texas is so damn huge, it's not like if someone posts about a meetup in dallas I'm going to be able to pick up and drive right over

Psh, day road trips are the best. Just put it on credit.

I think Community makes the most sense for the thread, but I live on the far western edge of Texas, not the whole Texas Triangle area which is what the thread applies to the most. The New York, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, LA, and France guys have their meetup thread over there in Community, and it seems to do fine. Whenever something more concrete for a meetup happens (like PAX in San Antonio next January) we can just make a thread in OT or Gaming.

I'm not opposed to repurposing this as a Central Texas area community thread, but Scott's right, Texas is too big to have a community tread for the entire state.

Since I'm a lazy bastard that mainly uses the Control Panel for participating/lurking in threads, I'm all for a move and rename.

edit: I don't think that it's too much to have all of Texans use one thread for news/meetups/whatever.

besada

Banned
My preference for an all-Texas thread stems from my presence in DFW, not Austin:) But if you guys would prefer a tighter thread, that's okay, too. We've got an SF Bay thread, so there's no reason we can't have an Central Texas thread.

My preference for an all-Texas thread stems from my presence in DFW, not Austin:) But if you guys would prefer a tighter thread, that's okay, too. We've got an SF Bay thread, so there's no reason we can't have an Central Texas thread.

I live in DFW too so I'm with you on that. One day there needs to be a DFW meetup lol.

Zoe

Okay, which one of you snitched on me to my boyfriend :p

This stuff is pretty awesome. We ordered way too much though, we'll be eating it for weeks :lol

Franklin is a cool dude too! He took pictures with us and the people we meet in line.

besada

Banned
Well, no one's offered to start a new one, so I'm going to take the simplest course and simply move this thread to Community. I may alter the title a little bit when I get it there.

Edit: And moved. I left a redirect on OT that will last a month. After that, recruitment is up to you.

Timeaisis

Love the title. A+

So...since I don't visit this thread often, there's a meetup coming up on the 25th at Pinballz? Is anyone invited or is this "core AustinGAF"? Would love to meet some fellow GAFers.

Love the title. A+

So...since I don't visit this thread often, there's a meetup coming up on the 25th at Pinballz? Is anyone invited or is this "core AustinGAF"? Would love to meet some fellow GAFers.
Check out the OP. I'm pretty sure it's a come one, come all.

I wouldn't say we really have a core AustinGAF, lol.

teh_pwn

Anyone can go. I felt like it was a good thing to overlap with my birthday. I have a slightly less public thing prior to that. My girlfriend is going to drive me around so there's a distinct possibility I will be borderline drunk. But I should be quite capable of playing Mario Kart, TMNT, etc.

teh_pwn

Also A+A was great. Only 1 other person could make it so I only got to taste Twice Cooked Pork but it was delicious. For some reason the Yelp reviews are average, but it's totally Asia Cafe of old with a slightly more restaurant seating situation and not so conflicting interior (when Asia Cafe was popular the lines would block food delivery and just everything).

Zoe

Also A+A was great. Only 1 other person could make it so I only got to taste Twice Cooked Pork but it was delicious. For some reason the Yelp reviews are average, but it's totally Asia Cafe of old with a slightly more restaurant seating situation and not so conflicting interior (when Asia Cafe was popular the lines would block food delivery and just everything).

I think people just want Chinese-American food :<

teh_pwn

I think people just want Chinese-American food :<

I half way suspected you were doing your "Austin sucks, stop moving here!" tactic. But you may be right. I only had 1 dish because my coworkers were busy with software patches due to horribly software inefficiency not catching bugs. But damn it was delicious. I will return multiple times. They were so not busy I'm concerned they cannot sustain themselves. Please go everyone.

Zoe

(damn, meant to say "American Chinese". The former just doesn't sound right)

My favorite is the Mabo Tofu.

MHgX6exl.jpg

Looks like a hot mess, but it's a tasty hot mess.

(might want to strain out some of the chili oil if you don't want flaming butthole)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So it's me and another guy set to visit Austin late next month but I may have convinced a second friend to go as well.

teh_pwn

(damn, meant to say "American Chinese". The former just doesn't sound right)

My favorite is the Mabo Tofu.

MHgX6exl.jpg

Looks like a hot mess, but it's a tasty hot mess.

(might want to strain out some of the chili oil if you don't want flaming butthole)

Looks fantastic. So many dishes to try. So many work buddy cats to herd. "Guys, we should eat at interesting places." "Oh, I'm sorry I have this totally optional meeting I have to go to about some technology that will have 0 relevance to my career." "Aw, what happened to the lunches?".

Zoe

My coworkers go out, but it's always the Chipotle-Double Dave's-shitty Chinese trinity :(. The one time I got somebody to have Indian with me, I don't think she liked it :(

Zoe

Anyone here been to The Emerald Tavern? It's like a board game pub or something. Thinking about going tonight.

Yep, I know one of the owners, and his wife runs the Japanese meetup that meets there on some Sundays. Please go there :)

teh_pwn

Swift's Attic complete. Really nice atmosphere and not really busy and "mmmm yeah you need a reservation fuck you, yeah...." despite being not busy. I'll post photos on my flickr tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom