• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is it just me, or are there more bees/wasps flying around now? I know it's spring and all, but in the 3.5 years I've been living here I never encountered so many before.

I hate it because every time I see one of those things I flinch. They also love swarming around the trash cans near bus stops, too. =/

It's only a matter of time before one of these things get me. Bugs seem to hate me for whatever reason.

I was a bit anxious getting gas over there because there were some around the trash. It's pretty common tho where I live.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ramen Tatsuya is the shit. I haven't been at dinner though, and apparently the menu changes. I hit that shit up multiple times during lunch, and I have the photography evidence.

Microsoft is at the Domain outdoors.

Do people even go to the malls anymore? Seems like the farmers markets get more traffic.

Domain is overpriced. But remember we're in Austin, which is half way between 'Merica and NYC/Chicago/LA/BayArea/Etc. Ie, between going to Applebee's as a special treat of fine cusine and having Thai Russian Pizza fusion at 4 AM. So yeah most of 'Merica probably goes to malls.

When is the next meetup? I finalies has girlfriend that also on occassion enjoys vidjya games. :(

Zoe

Ramen Tatsuya is the shit. I haven't been at dinner though, and apparently the menu changes. I hit that shit up multiple times during lunch, and I have the photography evidence.

The only caveat is their night ramen isn't quite the traditional ramen people here would be used to, so if that's what you want, go to Michi. I love it though, it's the shizznit.

teh_pwn

Though lunch Ramen seems legit. Japanese-American co-worker said it's authentic-ish.

And ohh that seems work viable (I work on north Austin).

Zoe

Yeah, the lunch one is meant to be traditional Tokyo. Their night ramen is Kyushu style with thin noodles.

teh_pwn

Sweet, sounds delicious.

I don't think I've met you Zoe. You don't show up for the meetups do you? You stay for the meetup thread.

teh_pwn

And also, I have been drinking too much lately. Combining that with post-drinking recovery I have found Taco Deli quite nourishing. I noticed hangover veterans order over phone and pickup last weekend. Somehow I'm not gaining weight. I find biology confusing. The Otto is so delicih.

Going to go somewhat sober in about a week and finish P90X3.

Zoe

I think Etrian's the only one who has (though he didn't know it) :lol I try to keep my real life separate, but I wouldn't deny it if someone finds me.

teh_pwn

Ha, it's cool. I'm gaffing so much less now that I'm in the super serial part of my adulthood career/life.

I'm like 2 raises away from disappearing somewhere to travel and take pictures. Perhaps I should friend the Evilores in real lifes because basically that's what I'm going to do (but on extended vacation because I have a non self sustaining but not as awesome job).

I'll be back :(

I guess I'm spoiled because I get to eat ramen every day at work if I so choose. :p

I like our Hokkaido-style ramen better tho. >.>

[Moto changed the regular broth... now it's a little too fishy for me. The vegan broth still and always has been my preference.]

teh_pwn

I had no idea about that place. I was just about to go to Mount Bonnell for some photography but that looks much more appropriate.

I choose....I choose....BOTH

teh_pwn

Confirmed. I'm going soon.

This stuff is a much better subject for my 35mm prime lens. Not too long from now I'll splurge on this which is more apt at landscapes and further away subjects. Flowers and bokeh coming up.

teh_pwn

Blue Bonnets were pretty sweet. Ran into Groovy. Though to be fair I'm pretty sure the flood plain near St David's has way more blue bonnets. Every day I've driven by the last week I've seen someone out there with their DSLR. I may do that soon.

teh_pwn

Documentary of today's adventures:
Ladybird Wildflower
Mount Bonnell
Olive & June (bar only. It's really good from appetizers and atmosphere, but you have to get reservations to be seated).

I'm pretty sure my photography is now limited by my camera/lens. Time to upgraydd.

Come at me NSA.

Physalis

Neo Member
I have an off-topic question for Austin-GAF, sorry to muck up the thread!

Is anyone, or do you know of anyone who is subletting an apartment this summer near UT? I'm going to be doing a program at UT from June to July, and would like exhaust all my options besides Craigslist/Homeaway/Couchsurfing, etc.

Looking to spend $500/mo max with no shared bedrooms.

Thanks in advance!

Is anyone, or do you know of anyone who is subletting an apartment this summer near UT? I'm going to be doing a program at UT from June to July, and would like exhaust all my options besides Craigslist/Homeaway/Couchsurfing, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Darn, I would offer my apartment for you since that falls perfectly within the time frame of me re-letting my apartment (I'm leaving this May once I graduate), but my rent is $830/month.

Actually, might as well advertise it here:

I'm offering to re-lease my apartment for June and July. The rent is normally $830/month (but we can negotiate the price), but it comes with its own private bathroom, walk-in closet, and a couple of utilities.

Here are the floor plans of the apartment. My bedroom is Bedroom B, which is a private bedroom.

Other features of the apartment include:

-A living room and kitchen area (fully furnished due to that area having all of my roommate's furniture).
-A washer and dryer, located near Bedroom B.
-Within walking distance of UT, and also near two of the West Campus bus stops.

Also, my roommate is an awesome guy. If you play games, you'll get along fine. =P

If anyone is interested, please either respond in this thread or PM me. Thank you!

Hylian7

I forgot to post in here.

I moved to Austin about two weeks and started a nice programming job downtown. I love it here!

Zoe

Thanks in advance!

Does it have to be near UT? There are many student apartment complexes along the UT shuttle lines that will do leases for the summer and are probably cheaper for what you would find near campus.

Darn, I would offer my apartment for you since that falls perfectly within the time frame of me re-letting my apartment (I'm leaving this May once I graduate), but my rent is $830/month.

Actually, might as well advertise it here:

I'm offering to re-lease my apartment for June and July. The rent is normally $830/month (but we can negotiate the price), but it comes with its own private bathroom, walk-in closet, and a couple of utilities.

Here are the floor plans of the apartment. My bedroom is Bedroom B, which is a private bedroom.

Other features of the apartment include:

-A living room and kitchen area (fully furnished due to that area having all of my roommate's furniture).
-A washer and dryer, located near Bedroom B.
-Within walking distance of UT, and also near two of the West Campus bus stops.

Also, my roommate is an awesome guy. If you play games, you'll get along fine. =P

If anyone is interested, please either respond in this thread or PM me. Thank you!

Do you live in The Block apartments connected to Rio West? That's where I used to live back in 2011. Great area, and a rocks throw from Whataburger.

teh_pwn

Very nice work. When are you going to go solo with your lens and make some real money?

Ha. While I think my skills are advancing quickly for the amount of time I put into it (< 1-2 hours per week on average) I'm shamed by people in gaf's photography thread.

It's more about it being fun and documenting where I've been. I'm building up equipment and skills for inevitable traveling.

It's not rocket science. You twist the little knobs until the meter is in or near the center.

If that's too hard you turn that big wheel thing on the top to Auto and all the scary settings go away. ;P

Physalis

Neo Member
Physalis,

There is a member by the name of Meier just a few posts above. In case he doesn't see your post in time, send him a PM and ask him if he is aware of any internal UT postings regarding room and board inquiries. Good luck

Thanks, I will definitely do that!

Zoe said:
Does it have to be near UT? There are many student apartment complexes along the UT shuttle lines that will do leases for the summer and are probably cheaper for what you would find near campus.

I've definitely been looking and shooting out emails/texts. Lots of people dumping sublets at Crossing Place for cheap, but so far, no bites. I think it's because I'm male and a lot of the listings say something like "you would be staying with (number) of female roommates".

I'm sure there'll be plenty more up when it gets closer to the end of the semester.

teh_pwn

It's not rocket science. You twist the little knobs until the meter is in or near the center.

If that's too hard you turn that big wheel thing on the top to Auto and all the scary settings go away. ;P

Bro, I was drunk. You didn't have consent to molest my camera.

More seriously I got a new lens. I saw someone frolocking with a puppy in a field of bluebonnets. Is there a place you can rent puppies? Because I have a wide angle lens.

Zoe

I've definitely been looking and shooting out emails/texts. Lots of people dumping sublets at Crossing Place for cheap, but so far, no bites. I think it's because I'm male and a lot of the listings say something like "you would be staying with (number) of female roommates".

I'm sure there'll be plenty more up when it gets closer to the end of the semester.
Ah, Crossing Place. I lived there the first year they were open.

You might not even have to look for subleases as those places. They may have open units anyway.

teh_pwn

I turn 30 soon. So I'm doing a celebration thing that will end up at Pinballz probably around 9PM on Friday April 25th. GAF may join us. Remember it's BYOB but 1 at a time from your car (cooler's recommended).

teh_pwn

That's probably not far from the truth though.

Shawn Elliot of GFW Radio fame is moving to Austin

ZTUDkez.gif

If you ever scope out this thread Shawn I got a round on me.

DaRabidDuckie

So my roommate just informed me (over Facebook no less) that he's selling the house we live in and that I have to move out "fast" so renovations can be done.

Does anyone know of someone who is looking for a roommate who wouldn't mind taking in two cats as well? They're both awesome, well-behaved cats and I couldn't bear to part with them. I'm already having to give up an outdoor cat that I was taking care of who just had five kittens, and that really upsets me because I was hoping to find them a good home instead of just dumping them off at a no-kill shelter.

Anyway, I can't afford an apartment of my own that allows cats, so I'm hoping to find someone who has a house with a room for rent. Help?

Hi everyone. For you shmup fans, Game Over Videogames 1604/Bandera is going to have a Vertical Shmup Night on May 9th. It'll be one of the last events I'm running before I leave the company, and I'd love to see people show up! Let me know if you'd like more info, and we have an event page started as well.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Guess who is visiting Austin again late next month after barely arriving back from a road trip over there 2 weeks ago.

i7JgoVkHlYezJ.gif

Meetup? We can re-celebrate teh_pwn's birthday. I will buy everyone 1 slice of pizza or 1 beer, but you must choose your destiny carefully. Pizza and beer is sacred.

teh_pwn

Fuck yeah we can re-celebrate.

Hopefully my girl will drive me around. That way I can already be buzzed by the time I get to Pinballz.

teh_pwn

I really bad at identifying celebrities. Is this one that I took a picture of at SXSW gaming expo?

Wait - level design behind Bioshock Infinite? I'll contribute a round as well.

Meier

Do512's rumored list of ACL bands has me salivating. Fuck, I hope these are mostly true: http://do512.com/ACLFestRumors/artists

YOUNG THE GIANT
PHANTOGRAM
WHITE DENIM
EMINEM
CAGE THE ELEPHANT
GIRL TALK
BECK
CALVIN HARRIS
THE NAKED & FAMOUS
BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB
ELLIE GOULDING
BEAR HANDS
ROYAL BLOOD
ALOE BLACC
ARCADE FIRE
NEON TREES
BROKEN BELLS
DESERT NOISES
LORDE
BASTILLE
FRANK TURNER
FUTURE ISLANDS
FLEETWOOD MAC
THE 1975
OUTKAST
LONDON GRAMMAR
PORTUGAL THE MAN
INTERPOL
KINGS OF LEON
CROSSES
MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA
ARCTIC MONKEYS
CHROMEO
PHOSPHORESCENT
THE KOOKS
FOSTER THE PEOPLE
GROUPLOVE
FLUME
HAIM
WAXAHATCHEE
CHVRCHES
SKRILLEX

Hollycat

This thread is too long for me to read all the way through, is there a Texas meetup currently in the works?

Edit: ah, Pinballz.

It's not exactly in Austin, though I would like to go to any meetups nearby, but I'm looking for a new housemate in DFW. (Had to kick out the old one) If anyone's interested, PM, cheap place to stay for a few months. ($350 +half Utilities)

teh_pwn

Nope, nothing is happening. Not in the OP or in this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom