• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Rutgers is winning the national championship.

Book it.

We got BIG Leonte Carroo & B1G DARIUS HAMILTON.

You already lost. Admit defeat. Rutgers is your overlord. Our quarterback is going to be amazing. It's a competition between two players who are playing at level 10 out of 10.

That's super high, yo.

There's a civil war on rivals about the qb battle.

Rutgers is winning the national championship.

Book it.

We got BIG Leonte Carroo & B1G DARIUS HAMILTON.

You already lost. Admit defeat. Rutgers is your overlord. Our quarterback is going to be amazing. It's a competition between two players who are playing at level 10 out of 10.

That's super high, yo.

please beat the shit out of penn state.

Thanks,
The Rest of America

Soooooooo cloooooooooooooseeee

CM3xWK_UkAA2VAi.jpg

Jhriad

Soooooooo cloooooooooooooseeee

What am I supposed to see in this picture? Other than a nice lineup for the Big Ten that will probably end up with the conference going 1-3 in those games and push the majority of the B1G into irrelevancy for the majority of the season like last year.

What am I supposed to see in this picture? Other than a nice lineup for the Big Ten that will probably end up with the conference going 1-3 in those games and push the majority of the B1G into irrelevancy for the majority of the season like last year.

That were so close to the season! And this is the first time in a while i can remember being more than 1-2 good games in week 1

andycapps

"Big" games that will appear less relevant as the year goes on, I assume.

Still, it does seem to be a pretty exciting first day.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Harbaugh's a very weird dude. Cowherd said he's the worst interview in this history of interviews that he did.

He also likes to run around shirtless.
Is there some history between Harbaugh and DiNardo?

"Big" games that will appear less relevant as the year goes on, I assume.

Still, it does seem to be a pretty exciting first day.

At the very least, big named programs are facing big named programs on week 1. Some of those big named programs are currently going through some hard times, but they still look good on paper. Admittedly, Notre Dame is probably going to beat us by 17 or 21 since Tyrone Swoopes is still seen as the best QB option we have on campus. None of the other guys have passed him up according to fall practice reports, and this is the guy who only mustered 59 yards total offense against Arky.

Draxal

Doesn't seem to be, Harbs did an interview with him earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrdwa-U9gM

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 22h22 hours ago
Per @chengelis, Harbaugh is the first coach in 112 Big Ten Network preseason camp stops not to do an interview. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ums-shane-morris-has-slight-edge-qb/32002217/ …

Harbs is just a complete control freak.

Yeah but he's perfectly fine hosting a million satellite camps all across the country.

mre

Doesn't seem to be, Harbs did an interview with him earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrdwa-U9gM

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 22h22 hours ago
Per @chengelis, Harbaugh is the first coach in 112 Big Ten Network preseason camp stops not to do an interview. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ums-shane-morris-has-slight-edge-qb/32002217/ …

Harbs is just a complete control freak.
Wonder what, if anything, the coaches are required to do under the B1G's contracts with the Big Ten Network?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
There's a sexual assault trial going on with a Baylor football player (Sam Ukwuachu) that had gone unreported on for over a year. The former Freshman All-American transferred to Baylor after Boise State kicked him off their team for...violence against a woman.

We don’t know yet whether Sam Ukwuachu will be convicted of the charges against him—but we know that the program recently (and eagerly) expressed its intention to add the six-foot-four pass rusher to their rotation at defensive end in time for the season opener at SMU. What we do know is that Baylor took a chance on a player they had every reason to suspect had previously presented a threat to students at another campus, and let Baylor’s students assume the risk that entailed. When a student at Baylor leveled accusations of sexual assault against the player, the school’s investigation—in which the burden of proof is significantly lower than in a court of law—ended without action, despite the fact that the McLennan County District Attorney’s Office found cause to take the matter all the way to a trial on second degree felony charges. We know that officials in Baylor’s football program describe rape accusations against players on the team as “some issues” or “violating a team rule,” the same language they might use to describe a player who broke curfew—even after the player has been accused, indicted, arrested, and, in the case of Tevin Elliott, convicted. We know that the Waco Police Department took months to bring the case to a prosecutor, but that when they did present the case to the DA’s office, the DA took the felony charges all the way to court. We know that the Waco sports media, charged with covering one of the country’s most prominent football programs, failed to report on charges against a much-heralded new transfer for nearly fourteen months, even though those charges were readily accessible to anyone who searched his name at the McLennan County Courthouse. We know that when asked about Ukwuachu a few weeks ahead of his scheduled trial date, rather than acknowledge the charges or decline to comment, Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett told Baylor fans that the team was expecting to have him on the field.

There's a sexual assault trial going on with a Baylor football player that had gone unreported on for over a year. The former Freshman All-American transferred to Baylor after Boise State kicked him off their team for...sexual assault.

It does kinda sound like the Jameis situation doesn't it? It has been swept under the rug all this time

I'll just post this here

Final testimonies from each side...

Tommy Witherspoon @TSpoonFeed
Defense attorney Jonathan Sibley is up now giving his jury summation. He said Ukwuachu and the woman had consensual sex and she had regrets

Sibley told the jury that the student suffered "buyer's remorse" after she and Ukwuachu had consensual sex.

Sibley says the state's burden of proof is high and the state has not met that burden.

He said Ukwuachu is the victim of a series of snowballing lies that started rolling down hill, kept getting bigger and now is out of control

Prosecutor Hilary LaBorde tells the jury that a not guilty verdict calls the woman a liar and tells Ukwuachu that what he did was OK.

The victim made an immediate outcry and told her friends that Ukwuachu raped her, LaBorde said.

Prosecutor Robert Moody is up now and tells the jury that no means no and every woman reserves the right to withdraw consent.

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed
He said either the woman is a "vindictive, lying woman" or she was raped. He said Ukwuachu is a "cold-blooded rapist."

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed
Moody said Baylor's investigation into the allegations was laughable and the dean who conducted it "has a hole in her head."

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 40s40 seconds ago
"Shame on Baylor," Moody said.

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 1m1 minute ago
"this was a brutal rape. He wants it and he takes it. He is selfish. Do not let him walk out of the courthouse with you today," Moody said.

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 32s32 seconds ago
The jury is beginning its deliberations now in the Sam Ukwuachu sexual assault trial.

andycapps

At the very least, big named programs are facing big named programs on week 1. Some of those big named programs are currently going through some hard times, but they still look good on paper. Admittedly, Notre Dame is probably going to beat us by 17 or 21 since Tyrone Swoopes is still seen as the best QB option we have on campus. None of the other guys have passed him up according to fall practice reports, and this is the guy who only mustered 59 yards total offense against Arky.

Yeah, I was talking more about the Michigan, ND, and Texas games. There are some good ones on there.. Wisconsin and LSU is intriguing to me because LSU is a hard team to read. I could see them being 8-5 this year, or if everything goes their way they could win the west. Will a new QB, defensive coordinator, and replacing a bunch of defensive players all work out great? Odds are probably not. But honestly, Les makes them fun to watch, especially in big games when he really pulls out the Mad Hatter card.

It does kinda sound like the Jameis situation doesn't it? It has been swept under the rug all this time

I'll just post this here

Final testimonies from each side...

Seems more like the Jonathan Taylor situation. Pretty disgusting regardless. Schools need to learn not to pick up players dismissed for this kind of stuff.

mre

Seems more like the Jonathan Taylor situation. Pretty disgusting regardless. Schools need to learn not to pick up players dismissed for this kind of stuff.
Yes, because local media swept that under the rug. Saban was even recently quoted saying "I look forward to Taylor starting this season.".

Jesus, Andy. The situation being discussed, Baylor and the local media burying the story, aren't even remotely similar to UA and Taylor.

I was walking by a bar earlier today and I heard "Centuries" playing from inside.

I immediately thought "man, I wonder what song ESPN is going to ruin the season with this year"

Going by other testimony and stories and such going around, this guy seems pretty disturbed. Depression issues, suicidal at times, anger management, etc.

Also: Posting a new link to a site you already quoted earlier when I posted it? LINKCEPTION.

I knew the article looked familiar. De Ja Vu

This reminds me. I went to karaoke the other night and noticed they had both IMMORTALS by Fallout Boy and Phenomenal by Eminem. It made me think of college football, but I knew no one I was with would understand.

I saw Mandel mentioning this guy on twitter and that the story about him was pretty unpleasant to read. Having now read perfectchaos link I'm pretty saddened. This shit just keeps happening and people get away with it too much because of their athletic talent. Sometimes its hard to be a sports fan.

andycapps

Yes, because local media swept that under the rug. Saban was even recently quoted saying "I look forward to Taylor starting this season.".

Jesus, Andy. The situation being discussed, Baylor and the local media burying the story, aren't even remotely similar to UA and Taylor.

Easy there, Fozzie. I didn't mean it that way. I was just talking about a player being dismissed by one team for sexual assault, and then being picked up by another program. Wasn't referring to hiding anything.

mre said:

That was really cool.

Apparently being a dick runs in the Petrino family.

Petrino wasn't just sarcastic; he was very much upset. He went on to immediately ban the media from today's practice, yelling, "If all you're going to write is negative (expletive) then none of you need to be here!"

I dismissed it as a lack of awareness, perhaps not realizing that while we were in fact on the football field, neither I nor the Tribune writer were his players, and we don't respond to being spoken to that way.

But moments later, Petrino walked up to me and the Tribune reporter just outside the practice field and began to scream in my face, loudly informing us how many deep balls the team completed Wednesday. He then went on to chide us for our inaccurate criticisms of quarterback Matt Linehan and our lack of football knowledge, walking away saying, "You don't even know what the (expletive) you're talking about! Do your (expletive) job!"

Then he turned back and started to move toward me, still angrily shouting expletives about my writing and my professionalism while being physically restrained by one of his assistants, approaching me as if he had plans to do something other than verbally express his concerns.

I stood quietly, choosing not to engage with him, instead waiting for him to lower his voice and talk to me like a man. I never had the chance. He just walked away.

What if he had not been restrained? Would he have physically tried to harm me or the other reporter? Would he have tried to make me do up-downs? Hopefully we never find out. Regardless, Petrino's outburst raises several red flags about his professionalism and maturity.

Let's be clear, Petrino never sat in my living room and begged me to play for him. My name isn't listed on the roster. He has no right to behave that way towards me. I am not a Vandal. And the fact someone had to hold him back from approaching me is unacceptable.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, it's really unfortunate for that player he had to go and rape someone. :|
It's also unfortunate that they didn't dig around into why the kid was kicked out of Boise State.

But shit happens, you know?

Like a freshman soccer player losing her virginity by force and having to transfer because the school did nothing

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Art Briles and fuck Baylor.

Seems like they do have a set of standards that they follow. From the previously posted article -

Texas Monthly article said:
In 2012, a Baylor linebacker named Tevin Elliott was arrested for sexual assault. At the time of his arrest, Briles said only that the player would be suspended because he had “violated a team policy” and that he’d have no further comment. After Elliott’s conviction on two counts of sexual assault—in a trial that included four other witnesses who said that Elliott had raped them too—details about how the school had reacted to the victim’s claims prior to Elliott’s conviction began to trickle out. The Baylor Lariat quoted the victim’s mother as saying that the school “was not helpful in guiding her daughter during this academically stressful time,” and that the accuser lost her scholarship following the assault. The paper went on to cite the prosecutor, who claimed that “Waco Police Department detectives failed to follow through with victim interviews.”

Let's not forget that this is the same school that, just over a decade ago, had a basketball coach tell his players to lie to investigators about their dead teammate (who had been shot by another teammate) being a drug dealer to fund his tuition in an attempt to cover up the coach's own improper payments to the players. Also remember that when Josh Gordon and a teammate were found passed out in a Taco Bell drivethrough at 2am, the future NFL pro bowler was only suspended (and later played out the season) while the guy that ended up in the CFL was kicked off the team.

It's also unfortunate that they didn't dig around into why the kid was kicked out of Boise State.

They did know, though, at least according to Ukwuachu. Again, from the previous article -

Texas Monthly article said:
The same month, in an interview with football recruiting website Rivals.com after he announced his transfer to Baylor, Ukwuachu talked about returning home to his native Texas. He said he had gone through “some personal problems” and that the coaching staff at Baylor “knew everything and were really supportive.”

KingGondo

Banned
It's also pathetic that it took Texas Monthly and other outside publications to break the Ukwuachu news instead of the local Waco newspaper.

andycapps

If you heard The Pirate speak on satellite radio inbetween coaching stints, there's a good chance he was naked when he was on the radio.

He and Les Miles need a reality show.

"So I’m sitting back there, and so I jump in the pool to kind of cool off, because it was cool to talk on the radio outside. And then I was also getting Fed Ex’s every week, to prep me for the game I was broadcasting. So I get in the pool, and I get out and I’ve got my board shorts on, so then pretty soon every time I get out of the pool I’m sitting on the lawn chair and I got these wet board shorts on so it’s like sitting in a diaper the whole time, you know.So you know nobody is around, fence around, so I think ‘What the heck, I’m taking these things off. And so I don’t have anything on, and I get up and I pace, I’m a pacer, I’m pacing right now. And then talking with my hands on air making just really profound points on radio, and I’m very proud of all the brilliant things I’m saying. And then I don’t have a stitch on, and through the gate here comes the Fed Ex guy, here comes the Fed Ex guy watching me pace around naked, talking on the radio about football and all this, and he’s like ‘What the hell?’ and then he hands me the Fed Ex, and of course I can’t break the conversation I have to keep talking. And the funny thing was, I’ve seen him every week, he never said anything, it was like ‘oh well another day.’ But yep, sure enough."

KingGondo

Banned
Punishment phase of Ukwuachu's trial is beginning.

Also, some great points from Jake Trotter, Big 12 writer for ESPN:

Three thoughts on Ukwuachu/Baylor:
1. If Baylor didn't know about Ukwuachu before he arrived, then they should have... a player getting dismissed for being depressed or homesick doesn't pass the smell test.

2. Why did Phil Bennett (Baylor DC) say at a June luncheon that Ukwuachu was going to play this season, when he was about to stand trial for rape?

3. I don't get Baylor's statement last night. Were they really saying, even though our Title IX department didn't do its job in this case, it does in fact exist? Burden of proof through Title IX lower than court of law -- Frank Shannon (OU player) wasn't even charged by police, yet found guilty through Title IX.

mre

Punishment phase of Ukwuachu's trial is beginning.

Also, some great points from Jake Trotter, Big 12 writer for ESPN:
Well even if the standard of proof is lower (preponderance of the evidence) it's still pretty damn hard to get a conviction or find against someone when you actively do your best to not find evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom