• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
My office kinda pressured me into joining the fantasy football league. I don't really care for the nfl. But hopefully it'll remind me to post in this thread this season. This being God's sport & all.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Statement from Art Briles:

vQCGKqVh.jpg
Oh, bullshit.

My office kinda pressured me into joining the fantasy football league. I don't really care for the nfl. But hopefully it'll remind me to post in this thread this season. This being God's sport & all.

A guy in the office at my previous job got me and a friend to join, and we never did anything, no trades, nothing. It was the best when we'd actually win a game against the dudes that were trying, which happened twice lol

Really, that's what you're going with? "Yeah, I totally accepted this transfer as a favor to Coach Petersen and didn't bother looking into the kid at all. Yeah, that's it."

The university itself has been going with, "we don't like to pry into our athlete's personal lives" as their defense, so yeah...

If Baylor had any integrity, they'd fire Art Briles pronto. That said, this is Baylor we're talking about...one of the most corrupt places in the country, and with a past history of ugly cover-ups. Briles ain't going nowhere.

If Baylor had any integrity, they'd fire Art Briles pronto. That said, this is Baylor we're talking about...one of the most corrupt places in the country, and with a past history of ugly cover-ups. Briles ain't going nowhere.

Yeah, somehow, this is actually the second worst coverup in Baylor sports history.

I kind of hope Boise and/or Peterson chime in again here. Briles' statement and the released docs are full of blame shifting and scream of being drenched in half-truths.

C4Lukins

Oh yeah. Damn, Baylor.

It is odd because Baylor is "the" Baptist College. It reflects beyond merely being a school trying to win. It is a horrible reflection on a major religious sect what the Baylor sports program has been doing. I do not see the program coming out of this without major changes.

LosDaddie

Banned
Here's a picture for old times sake, CFB-GAF:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it

A guy in the office at my previous job got me and a friend to join, and we never did anything, no trades, nothing. It was the best when we'd actually win a game against the dudes that were trying, which happened twice lol

I mean, I'm going to give it the ol college try, but I doubt I'll place in the Top 3. My only goal is to beat the admin assistant who has an attitude. As long as i finish higher than her, I'll consider it a success.

C4Lukins

Oh man, that's right.

How religious is Baylor? Like, I can't imagine this shit sliding at BYU.

Not BYU levels, but yeah very strict when it comes to codes of conduct and such. I had three high school friends who went to Baylor, and them relating experiences to me, it was like walking on egg shells. Fraternity and Sorority parties had to be cleared with the university, and chaperoned by someone associated with the University, and no alcohol. Of course the students would find ways around it, but that was policy, and according to buds they had informants that would go to the parties and report back.

Compared to TCU and SMU, both private Christian schools in the area, Baylor was the extreme. But not BYU levels. But to BYU's credit, they uphold their rules across the institution. They are not super strict with their student population and completely ignorant of their athletes.

Baylor is a Baptist (specifically Southern Baptist) school, but it is not the Southern Baptist school. It is the biggest but not so huge that it shadows over other Baptist places of learning nor is it ever really seen as some kind of cornerstone institution for the creed. The real focus education-wise with Southern Baptists is the seminaries, for which the largest one was at a time associated with Baylor but hasn't been for a very, very long time.

It's a very different sort of configuration than BYU, where BYU is the school as a significant cultural part of the faith. So much so that BYU students really lord it over the other (largely LDS-attended) public Utah universities. If this kind of thing happened at BYU (terrible sexual assault by a player after the AD dropped the ball on vetting the player) , they would have to deal with it out in the open and use the LDS media machine to hang the player out to dry while protecting the university as much as possible. It would still be a huge scandal with a lot of really bad press for the religion as a whole.

C4Lukins

Baylor is a Baptist (specifically Southern Baptist) school, but it is not the Southern Baptist school. It is the biggest but not so huge that it shadows over other Baptist places of learning nor is it ever really seen as some kind of cornerstone institution for the creed. The real focus education-wise with Southern Baptists is the seminaries, for which the largest one was at a time associated with Baylor but hasn't been for a very, very long time.

It's a very different sort of configuration than BYU, where BYU is the school as a significant cultural part of the faith. So much so that BYU students really lord it over the other (largely LDS-attended) public Utah universities. If this kind of thing happened at BYU (terrible sexual assault by a player after the AD dropped the ball on vetting the player) , they would have to deal with it out in the open and use the LDS media machine to hang the player out to dry while protecting the university as much as possible. It would still be a huge scandal with a lot of really bad press for the religion as a whole.

Well I disagree with a lot of your comments here, but the dismissal of Baylor in light of this current situation can only benefit Baptists in the long run.

Well I disagree with a lot of your comments here, but the dismissal of Baylor in light of this current situation can only benefit Baptists in the long run.

Curious to know which one-I am a pretty old Southern Baptist here, though like others I fell out of the SBC proper in the late 1990s due to the huge impacts the conservative takeover that began years and years before finally started to hit home in a big way. The thrust with respect to the creed's commitment to higher education was always about the seminaries producing leaders and future pastors. Note I am a Baptist from the Deep South, not from Texas, so we may come from different angles here. I don't see the Baptist creed nor the SBC getting a black eye even if this totally gets hit by a meteor in the form of Peterson/Boise proving Baylor's full of it. It's not the SBC is really super popular with the press anyway.

Regarding BYU - you're right about the equal treatment of players and students and I guess one point I would make is that what happened at Baylor I can't ever see happening at BYU. My statement was in the nearly impossible (IMO) case that it would, and in that case the zoobs would always defend the university's overall integrity over that of a coach or individual player.

Jhriad

Ukwuachu got 10 years probation and 180 days in county jail.

Now that's some Waco Justice™.

Are you fucking kidding me? Six months? Fucking disgusting.

Ever since my encounters with Baylor ,it's student body, and an interaction with an administrator there when I was in college (not at Baylor) I knew the place was a cesspool of hypocrisy and fuckery but this is ridiculous. You'd think a school that purports to espouse Christian virtues would have some god damn integrity especially after the 2003 Dennehy murder and the resulting fallout.

It is odd because Baylor is "the" Baptist College. It reflects beyond merely being a school trying to win. It is a horrible reflection on a major religious sect what the Baylor sports program has been doing. I do not see the program coming out of this without major changes.

Good luck with that. There are problems endemic in the culture at the university and unfortunately they aren't going to be changed without a lot of heads rolling inside and outside of the athletic department.

How religious is Baylor?

Very. C4Lukins covered it pretty well.

mre

What can title ix do? I thought their job was to just make sure womens sports and mens sports were equally funded
No, it has requirements mandating investigations into incidents where any student is assaulted, harrassed or otherwise abused based upon their gender. It may cover other protected classes, but definitely gender.

Draxal

What can title ix do? I thought their job was to just make sure womens sports and mens sports were equally funded

Title IX means equal opportunities in education, so getting her scholarship reduced and forced to drop the classes that the guy was in deprives her of that.

It's why Jameis's accusser is doing a Title IX lawsuit against FSU.

Okay thanks. If the female student athlete he assaulted transferred because the school was covering up for the male athlete, that should definitely violate title ix. They accommodated him and his classes but not hers when she requested to be in different classes than her rapist. I wonder if she was given actual post trauma counseling, or if she was sent to a quack Baylor councilor who basically said their hands were tied.

mre

Okay thanks. If the female student athlete he assaulted transferred because the school was covering up for the male athlete, that should definitely violate title ix. They accommodated him and his classes but not hers when she requested to be in different classes than her rapist.
To clarify, doesn't matter that she's an athlete. Just a student.

Draxal

To clarify, doesn't matter that she's an athlete. Just a student.

Right, I'm pretty sure Jameis Winston's accuser wasn't an athlete.

Baylor's doubly fucked in that the burden of proof is lower in a Title IX investigation vs a criminal case, the criminal case found him guilty while their investigation exonerated him.

edit.

The baylor alum judge giving him 180 days after the jury recommended 8 years is not helping Baylor in the pr battle at all.

Draxal

For Dotson, it seemed like the head coach was completely rogue and the ad had poor oversight but not guilty of anything more serious, this case involves many more moving pieces complicit in this manner.

Oh I meant how long has this scummy behavior been going on down there in Waco?

There are a couple problems with Baylor.

It's a private institution, so it has minimal governmental oversight.
It's also in a small town, and the university dominates the rest of the city and the county. It has a lot of sway over the power in the area.

It's also weird because it's very religious. I mean, it's a step down from BYU, but as a regular student, you aren't supposed to be doing anything sinful.

Oh man, that's right.

How religious is Baylor? Like, I can't imagine this shit sliding at BYU.

BYU covers up football rapes all the time sadly.

In a league I've played in for like a decade, 2 years ago a guy who never logged in after his initial log in won the entire thing. Fantasy football is dumb.

BYU has a history of covering up Football rape, or at least being incredibly lax at punishing people for it. Unless I'm misremembering and it was just a shitty Utah jury.

Also in less sad news, Ricky Towns transferred to Arkansas.

If he didn't want to throw the ball he could've remained at USC.

BYU covers up football rapes all the time sadly.

Yeah, I found this. They did drum out the head coach and didn't try to sugar coat it, which ofc they couldn't because the violence was barbaric.

Brigham Young University, 2004: Four players were indicted and two players sent to trial in the gang rape of a fellow student. Although a teammate testified against them at the trial, the players were acquitted. In The System: The Glory and Scandal of College Football, Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian offered one reason why: "After the courtroom cleared out, three jurors were still around. Kelly [the prosecuting attorney] cornered them and asked why they had acquitted. 'The jury said they had suffered enough,' Kelly said. 'They lost their scholarships. They were kicked off the team.' Kelly said it was the most bizarre thing she'd ever heard—the idea that the players had been sufficiently punished when they lost their opportunity to play football. 'That's the power of college football,' she said."

Not really just the power of college football. The power of getting a scholarship at BYU to most people in Utah.

In a league I've played in for like a decade, 2 years ago a guy who never logged in after his initial log in won the entire thing. Fantasy football is dumb.

I was really hoping that'd happen in my case. I still laughed when I won a game. Guys kept sending me trade requests that I never knew about because I didn't log in and I used a burner email to sign up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom