• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

The high school (Bishop Gorman) that kid is from is insane.

e8Hu5BW.jpg

Meanwhile, his HS school coach last year went right into the HC job at UNLV (same city) in the offseason and actually moved into worse facilities when making the move from HS to FBS football.

I kind of dislike video boards. The new one they put in at Auburn is ridiculous.

Just have something modest and let the band carry the crowd.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, yeah, alot of people's scoreboards are bigger than Alabama's. They went to 4 smaller ones, one in each corner. Also have those long ass screens that go the length of the field (used for score updates).

But yeah, no single, giant screen.

KingGondo

Banned
I went to the OSU-Texas game in Austin in 2008, and the Godzillatron was honestly awful and distracting.

Video boards should enhance the game experience, not distract from it.

andycapps

I kind of dislike video boards. The new one they put in at Auburn is ridiculous.

I agree. Malzahn thinks it's going to be a recruiting advantage though. :jnc

Well, yeah, alot of people's scoreboards are bigger than Alabama's. They went to 4 smaller ones, one in each corner. Also have those long ass screens that go the length of the field (used for score updates).

But yeah, no single, giant screen.

Haha, I just thought it was a hilarious anecdote in the article that the school says it's bigger than Bamas' boards.

I guess I should get my picks in. Less than two weeks until CFB 2015!

-ACC: UL
Coastal - VT
Atlantic - UL

-B1G: Ohio St
East - Ohio St
West - Nebraska

-Big 12
TCU

-PAC 12: Stanford
North - Stanford
South - USC

-SEC: Georgia
East - Georgia
West - Texas A&M

-AAC: UCF
East - UCF
West - Navy

Playoff Semi
1 - Georgia
2 - Ohio St
3 - Stanford
4 - Texas A&M

Finals
1 - Ohio St
2 - Georgia

Champion
Ohio St

I don't know what I'm doing.

ag-my001

Saw this a little while ago. People are hopeful that his commitment might also sway some highly ranked teammates toward A&M. Though the same thing happened with Mack, whose wavering was probably enough to cause his teammates to go elsewhere, even though he did end up coming to A&M.

I was always proud of the way A&M handled their big screen, and I'm a bit sad it had to be sacrificed for the stadium expansion. No actual ads on the screen *cought.u.adzillacough*, just a splash screen before the replays. I believe they're going the Alabama route with four screens in the corners to go with the preexisting ribbon boards around the stadium

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Speaking of highschools.. Norcross just upgraded their video board to what they say is the largest hs board, and even bigger than Bama's. This aggression will not stand.

hk4RhI3.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Football State Champions

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Ok boys and girls time for our annual whos the biggest idiot on GAF contest!
Please use the below template and either PM it to me or reply on here with your conf/playoff winners. Divisions winners award 1 point, conf champs award 2, Each playoff team correct is 3, finals game 4 and National Champion gets you 7 points.

Ooh! me me me me

-ACC: GT
--Coastal: GT
--Atlantic: FSU

-B1G Ohio St.
--East Ohio St.
--West Nebraska

-Big 12 TCU

-PAC 12 Oregon
--North Oregon
--South Arizona State

-SEC Bama
--East Georgia
--West Bama

-AAC UCF
--East UCF
--West Navy

(other ones because lol fuck you)

-MW Boise
--Mountain Boise
--West San Diego Stae

-CUSA Marshall
--East Marshall
--West Rice

-MAC Toledo
--East Ohio
--West Toledo

-Sun Belt: Louisiana–Lafayette

-Indies: Notre Dame

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio St.
2 Bama
3 GT
4 TCU
Finals
1 Bama
2 Ohio St.
Champion Ohio St. on the repeat

I went to the OSU-Texas game in Austin in 2008, and the Godzillatron was honestly awful and distracting.

Godzillatron looks bizarre (at least from photos - I've never been to DKR) because it sits over a tiny little set of endzone stands, and as a result, it's not high enough above the playing surface. I would imagine that it's incredibly distracting - not just for fans, but potentially for players, too.

If Texas put in a big set of endzone stands and placed the scoreboard above those, it would look fine.

KingGondo

Banned
Godzillatron looks bizarre (at least from photos - I've never been to DKR) because it sits over a tiny little set of endzone stands, and as a result, it's not high enough above the playing surface. I would imagine that it's incredibly distracting - not just for fans, but potentially for players, too.
I think that's part of the intention. At that game they had a big flashing NOISE graphic whenever OSU was going that direction on the field. Must have been incredibly distracting for our QB.

Good. Hope this is the start of Briles' downfall.

Chris R

If Texas put in a big set of endzone stands and placed the scoreboard above those, it would look fine.

It didn't look too bad from my seats near the top of the stadium at the north end. I could imagine it being a bad screen from the "100" level seats though.

KingGondo

Banned
Art Briles said:
"I talked with Chris Petersen personally. No mention of anything beyond Sam being depressed, needing to come home."
Somebody is lying, and only one of them has a reason to.

Plus we already have a quote from Ukwuachu himself that Baylor's coaches "knew everything."

Ganhyun

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Football State Champions

Georgia splits High Schools into divisions for football to make it more fair.

A to 6A I believe.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Could this be described as a similar (though smaller scale) version of a Penn State-like Coverup? This time with an attempt to get an on the field advantage (by getting this guy on the field to play). LOIC?

Could this be described as a similar (though smaller scale) version of a Penn State-like Coverup? This time with an attempt to get an on the field advantage (by getting this guy on the field to play). LOIC?

One thing that's kind of key for me is how much of what Peterson told Briles was passed on the AD's office. If it is just a coach being a shithead, that's one thing, if it is the whole AD department in on things, and then they let Briles' comments yesterday about having no idea about what happened at Boise, then you start getting into that systemic cover-up territory that always ends in a giant fireball.

I feel like if the AD office knew from Peterson or the Boise AD office (either directly or indirectly) about the nature of the issues with Ukwuachu they would have thrown Briles under the bus already after he denied he had no idea of what happened there.

Briles is toast. I don't see a path out of this that doesn't have him dismissed. He did one of the following:

- withheld key information from the AD's office and then lied to the media
- informed the AD department of the problems beforehand but convinced them to recruit him CUZ WINNING, then conspired with them to keep the whole history under wraps after the Ukwuachu recruit blew up in their face. Still lied to the media.
- The AD objected, Briles through his weight around and got the recruitment railroaded through, in which case this goes beyond the athletic department and is a clusterfuck of Texas proportions.

Seriously what a disaster.

andycapps

ag-my001

One thing that's kind of key for me is how much of what Peterson told Briles was passed on the AD's office. If it is just a coach being a shithead, that's one thing, if it is the whole AD department in on things, and then they let Briles' comments yesterday about having no idea about what happened at Boise, then you start getting into that systemic cover-up territory that always ends in a giant fireball.

I feel like if the AD office knew from Peterson or the Boise AD office (either directly or indirectly) about the nature of the issues with Ukwuachu they would have thrown Briles under the bus already after he denied he had no idea of what happened there.

Briles is toast. I don't see a path out of this that doesn't have him dismissed. He did one of the following:

- withheld key information from the AD's office and then lied to the media
- informed the AD department of the problems beforehand but convinced them to recruit him CUZ WINNING, then conspired with them to keep the whole history under wraps after the Ukwuachu recruit blew up in their face. Still lied to the media.
- The AD objected, Briles through his weight around and got the recruitment railroaded through, in which case this goes beyond the athletic department and is a clusterfuck of Texas proportions.

Seriously what a disaster.

He's got one possible saving grace: the player never saw the field, even after sitting out the one required year. Briles can try to play it that they "didn't want to destroy a young man's reputation in the court of public opinion before the actual evidence was heard in court." It's weak, but the fact that Ukwuachu never played makes me think somebody high up knew and realized the potential blowback would be worse that not having him suit up.

Draxal

Fake Dan Beebe going all in on Briles.

edit.

There should probably be a discussion about this on OT ... it's really the worst story since Paterno (what happened to NC was bad ... but what they did to that student athlete was horrific).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
He's got one possible saving grace: the player never saw the field, even after sitting out the one required year. Briles can try to play it that they "didn't want to destroy a young man's reputation in the court of public opinion before the actual evidence was heard in court." It's weak, but the fact that Ukwuachu never played makes me think somebody high up knew and realized the potential blowback would be worse that not having him suit up.
Didn't he just sit for the 1 year he was required to sit by NCAA rules?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Big video boards in the end zones don't bother me TOO much. The big board at Jerryworld hanging over the field is really distracting, though. You don't even realize you're watching it instead of the game on the field a lot of the time.

Briles is toast. I don't see a path out of this that doesn't have him dismissed.

Hope you handle disappointment well. It's not impossible but I'd be surprised if he gets the boot.

They had an 11-85 conference record in the Big XII before he showed up, and the last two seasons they've been 16-2 with two championship trophies. He was already a Texas Football Hall of Famer before he even made the switch to being a college assistant coach. They just built him a $260 million stadium in a town of 130k population.

They are going to do absolutely everything they can to find as many other fall guys as they need before they get to him IMO, and they're a private school which will free them up from a few sources of pressure that most schools would be feeling.

Didn't he just sit for the 1 year he was required to sit by NCAA rules?

Nope. Sat out 2013 due to transfer rules, then sat out 2014 because of the allegations/lawsuit. 2013 he was ineligible, 2014 was the year where they said he was suspended for "some issues."

C4Lukins

This Baylor thing is becoming a huge story. The more that comes out about it, the worse it looks. Briles totally fucked up by commenting today at all. They would have some level of deniability if he kept his mouth shut.

Judge who was a Baylor grad sentenced him to six months in prison, 10 years probation. Jury recommended 8 years in prison. Baylor Grad and head of their law department has been assigned for an internal investigation. Which translates to Baylor creating the least fallout possible. Someone has to take the fall, and I am guessing it is Briles. If Baylor does not clean house on this, then the NCAA could get involved, and it could end up death sentence type shit. And I guarantee you the NCAA will come down on a Baylor much quicker then a Florida State.

The girl he raped was a Baylor soccer player and virgin who had to transfer away from the school. Apparently she had to drop classes that she shared with the rapist because Baylor would not remove him from said classes. The victim released a statement where she blames herself.

Edit: Correction. The jury recommended 8 years prison if he violated probation. The recommendation as far as I understand made it so the judge could only enforce a maximum of 180 days in prison. So it does not appear that the judge is to blame for the light sentence but the Waco jury.

ag-my001

Just heard that the team I grew up with* is going to be the Ducks sacrificial FCS team in 2020.

*North Dakota State
Isn't NDSU like 4-1 against Div-1A opponents recently? I'd say having them on your OOC resume would be worlds better than Kansas or the like.

AntoneM

Isn't NDSU like 4-1 against Div-1A opponents recently? I'd say having them on your OOC resume would be worlds better than Kansas or the like.

Yeah, but this is 5 years from now. I can't imagine they will sustain for that long. I mean it's already been 4 championships in a row, it's got to end some time, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom