• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois doesn't get nearly enough shit for being such a historically mediocre program.

Illinois is a big fucking state, and its high school system, just by its size alone, should provide the program with enough talent to be consistently decent, even if schools like OSU and U-M are probably going to end up poaching the state's very best.

Illinois doesn't get nearly enough shit for being such a historically mediocre program.

Illinois is a big fucking state, and its high school system, just by its size alone, should provide the program with enough talent to be consistently decent, even if schools like OSU and U-M are probably going to end up poaching the state's very best.

I always wondered why the largely populated northern states, especially New York, but to some extent Illinois in the mid-west, have a smaller recruiting talent pool compared to the southern states ( per capita ). I think hockey may lure away some "football like" athletes at a young age in those states whereas in the south hockey isn't a threat at all to steal football talent.

Draxal

He's got a ton of "recruiting update" posts that are just summaries of either individual team stats or conference wide stats. That one in particular isn't meant to shit on the West, as it were, but to show the respective averages. The West has been pretty damn mediocre anyway you want to look at it. With the populace and blue blood programs, outside of Nebraska, in the East the average in the West is going to look pretty mediocre regardless. It doesn't help that Iowa is busy Ferentzing, Illinois/Purdue/Indiana are... themselves, and Nebraska was saddled with Bo Pelini's laughable recruiting efforts.

Big story this recruiting cycle is how poorly Wiscy is doing. But then again it's early and they can get caugh up in a flash.

I always wondered why the largely populated northern states, especially New York, but to some extent Illinois in the mid-west, have a smaller recruiting talent pool compared to the southern states ( per capita ). I think hockey may lure away some "football like" athletes at a young age in those states whereas in the south hockey isn't a threat at all to steal football talent.

1. I hate bringing race into this .... but The south has the highest per capita of african-americans, and the northern states with the higher amount of african americans lose them to other sports (as they don't have enough field space to play football), and have alot of trouble graduating them (Rutgers has 2 players that they'd love to have from Newark but can't due to academics).
2. Lack of good weather all year, this especially affects qb development as seven on sevens really improve qb play. Baseball is another sport that is really affected by weather.
3. Lack of good competition, players are often pretty raw because they're playing poor teams, playing against good players makes good players great.

You'll also have UND poaching as well as Northwestern (that education alone). It's just too many big brother schools in that area.

but Arrelious Benn!!!

Jhriad

It's weird to me that Illinois, a state with a population slightly higher than Ohio, produces half as many FBS level recruits.
Looking at the breakdown for Nebraska is depressing
Obviously football culture plays a large part, in addition to what the distribution of the populace is between densely-packed urban centers and less densely populated areas, but seriously what the hell is up with Illinois high school talent production?

I blame SUNY for New York high school and college football being so shitty.

For better or worse, it's a state university system that just isn't conducive for building major college sports programs. SUNY schools have fuzzy, indistinct identities and their students don't really have any sort of school pride.

And that trickles down to high school football. You're probably better off playing lacrosse or ice hockey if you're a New York high school athlete unless you're good enough at football to get out-of-state attention. There's nowhere legit to go in football but Syracuse.

Jhriad

I'd be surprised if athletic talent in densely populated urban centers, which accounts for a large portion of the populace in the New England area, didn't lean toward basketball because of the ease with which courts can be inserted into urban design. In fact, if you look at the 'Top Recruiting States' for basketball it looks like it skews pretty heavily toward states with large urban centers.

I'd be surprised if athletic talent in densely populated urban centers, which accounts for a large portion of the populace in the New England area, didn't lean toward basketball because of the ease with which courts can be inserted into urban design.

Basketball is a pick up and play sport. Football, however, requires a large number of people to get a game going so even if they had football fields all around urban centers, it wouldn't get used often unless they had organized games scheduled.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wonder if being warmer for most of the year would be more conductive to football athletics, as well as generally more "space" to have pickup games of football. Not sure how many large empty fields are in the metropolises up north.

Jhriad

Big story this recruiting cycle is how poorly Wiscy is doing. But then again it's early and they can get caugh up in a flash.

I don't know where you're getting this from. If you look at their rankings for the past several years they're basically on par with where they've been previously. 247 has them at #34 which is actually better than a number of their finishes in recent years. Literally a non-story.

Draxal

I wonder if being warmer for most of the year would be more conductive to football athletics, as well as generally more "space" to have pickup games of football. Not sure how many large empty fields are in the metropolises up north.

Warmer all years help, ESPECIALLY for QBs, can't do 7 on 7s all year up here (except for the training facilities). It's like baseball in that regard.

I don't know where you're getting this from. If you look at their rankings for the past several years they're basically on track with where they've been previously. 247 has them at #34 which is actually better than a number of their finishes in recent years.

Rutgers is beating them in Scout and Rivals, as well as Maryland iirc. The only team that they're beating in the East is Indiana.

Jhriad

Rutgers is beating them in Scout and Rivals, as well as Maryland imho. The only team that they're beating in the East is Indiana.

Then the story is more about the rest of the conference starting to recruit better and not that Wisconsin is somehow worse this year then the last few years.

Rivals Wisconsin class rankings:

2016: 31st
2015: 37th
2014: 33rd
2013: 57th
2012: 57th
2011: 40th
2010: 88th
2009: 43rd

So, according to Rivals this is actually the best class relative to the field that Wisconsin has had in a while. EDIT: Just looked through all the classes on Rivals and this is the highest ranked class in their database going back to 2002.

Draxal

Then the story is more about the rest of the conference starting to recruit better and not that Wisconsin is somehow worse this year then the last few years.
Rivals Wisconsin class rankings:

2016: 31st
2015: 37th
2014: 33rd
2013: 57th
2012: 57th
2011: 40th
2010: 43rd

So, according to Rivals this is actually the best class relative to the field that Wisconsin has had in a while.

Rutgers and Maryland are only this high as a lot of the big fish haven't landed yet, once they do Rutgers and Maryland will drop like a stone. Either Wisconsin will be one of those who benefits from that (I'm banking on that) or they'll drop lower.

I am SURPRISED that Wisconsin hasn't had an uptick as their success has been sustained for a quite while now, but than again I remember they having that whole acceptance issue.

Jhriad

I am SURPRISED that Wisconsin hasn't had an uptick as their success has been sustained for a quite while now, but than again I remember they having that whole acceptance issue.

Wisconsin recruits guys specific to their system and they've been very good at finding and developing under the radar talent. They've never been a top 25 recruiting school. If you look at all the data their recent success has translated into slightly better/more consistent classes.

Wisconsin recruits guys specific to their system and they've been very good at finding and developing under the radar talent. They've never been a top 25 recruiting school. If you look at all the data their recent success has translated into slightly better/more consistent classes.

While I find Wisconsin irritating, yes, they are perhaps the best at this of any program I can think of. I'll give them credit for that.

Iowa used to be good at it, too.

Was it that Wisconson lost their head coach and some of the recruits went with him? The Utes fans went berserk over some poaching of the 'transitional' recruiting pipelines by Gary Anderson after he moved over to Oregon St. I imagine that he also took some of his recruits with him. CFB recruiting is cutthroat.

Draxal

Was it that Wisconson lost their head coach and some of the recruits went with him? The Utes fans went berserk over some poaching of the 'transitional' recruiting pipelines by Gary Anderson after he moved over to Oregon St. I imagine that he also took some of his recruits with him. CFB recruiting is cutthroat.

Most stayed iirc, I do know that Wisconsin lost their best recruit ( a rb) to Nebraska when their admissions denied him. Their admissions department was a big thing for both fatface and Anderson and why they left Wisconsin.

Draxal

So much Big Ten talk. Ugh. I hate you all so much.

To bring it closer to home.

http://www.si.com/college-football/...lunteers-recruiting-hunter-johnson-commitment

Tennessee probably won’t have to worry about its quarterback situation for a few years. The Volunteers added another top-tier passer Sunday, earning a verbal commitment from Hunter Johnson. The top-ranked pro-style quarterback in the class of 2017, according to Rivals.com, chose Tennessee over reported scholarship offers from more than 20 programs.

Lunar15

There's something weird to me about sports sites reporting on criminal cases. Like, I completely get why it happens and I'm not saying they're in the wrong, but it's definitely weird.

Meier

There was absolutely no evidence but they had to proceed given the Winston backlash. It was a waste of everyone's time from what it sounds like. Glad that's behind us and we can proceed with the season.

@InsideUSC 7m7 minutes ago
Alcohol has been banned from #USC locker room for games this season

How fucking common was alcohol before?!

CNMMwbzUwAAf9SJ.jpg

https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/635865998680195072

This is from his UW days.

https://twitter.com/InsideUSC/status/635563095239192576

Do you think ex-#USC coach Kevin O'Neill wonders how he got suspended for a game for drinking? He didn't do it in front of 3,000 fans

The seven - cinco appetizer (7-5 baby!) is just awesome. Also, nothing says "byu grad" like a bill with 40 shots of patron with the bros.

I love how Pat Haden's indirectly provided Seattle with both Pete Carroll and Chris Petersen, infinitely better coaches than their predecessors.

edit: Cook being not guilty doesn't make me feel much better about the program.I'm not wearing garnet and gold on fall saturdays again until FSU football can at least go one offseason with only minor embarrassments.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Chunk of the defense's case seems to be: "no way can this girl take a punch from a 215 lb football player, with all her teeth intact"

andycapps

So it seems like our #2 or #3 receiver, Justin Scott-Wesley, may be giving up football. He's a 5th year senior that has battled injuries, also tore ACL last year, rehabbed, then had another injury and knee scoped about a month ago. Then another injury last week and seems like it'll require surgery again. Hate to see it happen to him, but looks like he's going to be coaching or helping the players in some way.

Best of luck to him.

zfvI9Fth.jpg

It's all Labor Day's fault.

It's stupidly late this year.

1st monday in September right? That happens to be September 7th which is the latest possible date Labor day can be. Last year Labor Day fell on September 1st, which is the earliest possible date Labor day can be.

At least College football doesn't begin based on the date of Easter, or even worse, Ramadan.

haha, no alcohol in the changerooms.

Some of the best times I had were playing for my uni football team and having a beer in the change rooms after the match.

I couldnt fathom not being able to drink until 21 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom