• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

I think both teams are going to be pretty iffy this year. The Cougs always find a way to be mediocre and the Huskies just feel like they are coming into this season already on crutches. I still like Washington's chances more because Petersen is kind of god tier.

It's usually an entertaining game though. UW is Wazzu's Super Bowl.

I don't get where all the "talent void" talk comes from. If anything, it's an experience void. We have a lot of talented and highly-rated players that will be playing - they're just really green. That means we'll probably be inconsistent, but we'll also surprise some people.

As usual in the Pac-12, it will ultimately come down to the QB.

BYU fans like to tout that their network appeals to Mormon's nationwide, but 90% of the nations Mormons live in Utah, just like 90% of Longhorn fans live in Texas. Catholics are more evenly spread throughout the country ( except on the west coast where religion is non-existent ) so Notre Dame would probably be a better sell for their own network in the future if that's something they wanted

Is this year #4 for Leach? Fans are probably expecting results this year or else

Isn't NBC essentially the Notre Dame Network?

Also, Wazzu probably can't do better than Leach, so I dunno if he'll get fired anytime soon.

Looks like LSU transfer Hayden Retting won the Rutgers qb job.

Geaux Tigers.

No one cares about the Big 10 or ACC or AAC here.

Back on topic: I think Oregon State is going to prove everyone wrong. It's not like the situation there is as hopeless as let's say Colorado.

Gary Anderson is a good coach.

If I'm coming out lurking to make a comment, I might as well throw this out as well:

Now I'm a Michigan State grad, so I'm a little biased in all this. But I'm shocked that Brandon lasted as long as he did.

Weird, its almost like a guy who ran a shitty pizza business had no idea how to run a college athletic department.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
If you're Michigan, how can you just not play OSU at all? I mean... you're in a conference together? You'll have to play eventually.

If I'm coming out lurking to make a comment, I might as well throw this out as well:

Now I'm a Michigan State grad, so I'm a little biased in all this. But I'm shocked that Brandon lasted as long as he did.

People have suggested moving the game for ages. It never happens. People have suggested getting a corporate sponsor for the game for ages. It never happens.

But flat-out not playing it? That's something new and dumb and different.

I'm guessing he suggested this when OSU and U-M were in opposite conferences and dumb people (like him) assumed that it would be the two of us in the championship every year.

The best thing about Dave Brandon's miserable failure at U-M is that it probably ruined his political career. So thankfully you Michiganders won't have to worry about that dumbass ever being your governor or senator.

Muschump passed on Ukwuachu before Baylor accepted his transfer based on information passed to the Florida AD department from the Boise St. AD department. The exact information passed to UF "detailed Ukwuachu's troubles with a girlfriend, including alleged physical abuse of his girlfriend and an allegation that Ukwuachu put his fist through a window while drunk at the couple's home". The UF AD staffer was clear that the Boise St. information included these issues, and because of it they wouldn't touch him.

https://www.campusrush.com/trevone-boykin-sam-ukwuachu-inside-read-1311167343.html

Why didn't this information get to Baylor? Or did it get to Baylor, and they just didn't give a shit.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Coach Kingsbury was on a local sports radio show just now.

Topics covered included Manziel's throwing motion, his relationship with Mike Leach (did you play for him?), and whether he ever looks in a mirror and asks himself if he's too handsome. Oh, and one quick question about recruiting.

I should be clear that none of the above is fiction or exaggerated for comedic effect.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Muschump passed on Ukwuachu before Baylor accepted his transfer based on information passed to the Florida AD department from the Boise St. AD department. The exact information passed to UF "detailed Ukwuachu's troubles with a girlfriend, including alleged physical abuse of his girlfriend and an allegation that Ukwuachu put his fist through a window while drunk at the couple's home". The UF AD staffer was clear that the Boise St. information included these issues, and because of it they wouldn't touch him.

https://www.campusrush.com/trevone-boykin-sam-ukwuachu-inside-read-1311167343.html

Why didn't this information get to Baylor? Or did it get to Baylor, and they just didn't give a shit.

If this is true, then it really does come down to either Petersen is lying or Briles is lying. Before, you could say that Petersen told Briles everything he knew, but that maybe it wasn't much at all.

cdyhybrid

If this is true, then it really does come down to either Petersen is lying or Briles is lying. Before, you could say that Petersen told Briles everything he knew, but that maybe it wasn't much at all.

Doesn't really make sense that they'd tell Florida and not tell Baylor. Not looking good for Briles' case.

USC and UCLA should explore not playing each other anymore.

Washington and Oregon should explore not playing each other anymore.

Oh man that's gold. I have a hard time seeing a QB run for 12+ carries vs. Utah without getting somewhat banged up. That defense is mean.

I mean it was a close, low scoring game. But having a dude run 3.5 yards a carry FIFTY TIMES seems like a bad idea when you have more than one decent RB.

AI gonna AI I guess.

FUCK

Hopefully it's just for this season

Apparently the booze was only in the coaches locker room but still.

I still can't figure out why the hell Pat Haden hired Sark.

YtvvWks.png

I mean, really?

ag-my001

Technically, both the overall wins and conference wins have a positive slope. What I want to know is how did 5-4 get third in the entire conference in 2010? Just how many teams were on sanctions?

Technically, both the overall wins and conference wins have a positive slope. What I want to know is how did 5-4 get third in the entire conference in 2010? Just how many teams were on sanctions?

Technically, yes, but who the hell would look at that resume and think it's good enough to coach USC?

USC interviewed Petersen, right?

cdyhybrid

I still can't figure out why the hell Pat Haden hired Sark.

YtvvWks.png

I mean, really?

Technically, yes, but who the hell would look at that resume and think it's good enough to coach USC?

USC interviewed Petersen, right?

Dunno if it was an actual interview, but Petersen turned them down IIRC. Pete apparently had a small list of places he would even consider leaving Boise for, and USC wasn't one of them.

Sark took over an 0-12 program that got destroyed by Tyrone Willingham, and we technically never took a step back during his tenure. Recruiting improved a lot, etc. There were just fatal flaws with his teams that prevented us from getting over the 7-8 win hump. I think he did a decent job while he was here, but we went about as far as he could have taken us. Also the Pete Carroll connection, but that didn't work out for them previously (Kiffikins).

Edit: Also, from Wikipedia:

AM8HC0w.png

There was Nike U, Stanford, and then a whole lot of mediocre in the conference that season.

andycapps

Dunno if it was an actual interview, but Petersen turned them down IIRC. Pete apparently had a small list of places he would even consider leaving Boise for, and USC wasn't one of them.

Sark took over an 0-12 program that got destroyed by Tyrone Willingham, and we technically never took a step back during his tenure. Recruiting improved a lot, etc. There were just fatal flaws with his teams that prevented us from getting over the 7-8 win hump. I think he did a decent job while he was here, but we went about as far as he could have taken us. Also the Pete Carroll connection, but that didn't work out for them previously (Kiffikins).

Edit: Also, from Wikipedia:

AM8HC0w.png

There was Nike U, Stanford, and then a whole lot of mediocre in the conference that season.

I always thought Carroll was considered a top defensive mind. Why everyone always tries to poach former offensive assistants under him, I'm not sure.

Not saying he didn't improve your program after Willingham, but I think if you're coaching at an historically decent program like UDub, you should at least be expected to get to a BCS (err, New Year's Six) bowl before you're even considered for a job like USC.

cdyhybrid

I always thought Carroll was considered a top defensive mind. Why everyone always tries to poach former offensive assistants under him, I'm not sure.

No idea! Their offenses were good while Pete was there, but everything was good while Pete was there.

Not saying he didn't improve your program after Willingham, but I think if you're coaching at an historically decent program like UDub, you should at least be expected to get to a BCS (err, New Year's Six) bowl before you're even considered for a job like USC.

Agreed. Just saying it makes some sort of sense if you look at it the right way. Most people thought they could have done better though.

andycapps

No idea! Their offenses were good while Pete was there, but everything was good while Pete was there.

Agreed. Just saying it makes some sort of sense if you look at it the right way. Most people thought they could have done better though.
I wonder why! But seriously, USC is so big and they're located in such a talent rich state that all they need is a competent coach to succeed. Carroll may have been dirty, but he was a great football mind and he did also build some great staffs under him. But Carroll was more than competent, he's a good coach.

I wonder why! But seriously, USC is so big and they're located in such a talent rich state that all they need is a competent coach to succeed. Carroll may have been dirty, but he was a great football mind and he did also build some great staffs under him.

Agreed. It seems you have to just be barely competent to be able to easily pull top ten classes there and decent years. Maybe Sark will turn it around, but I don't know.

Here's something that kind of bugged me about Riley hiring in Nebraska while we are talking about Sark:

KrrGJz5.png

Note that this season was going to be a wreck if he stayed as well. The trajectory was not good. But Nebraska was OK with that because they figured the superior prestige and visibility Riley would have would allow him to recruit better and leverage his ability to develop players.

I'm skeptical of that.

Here's something that kind of bugged me about Riley hiring in Nebraska while we are talking about Sark:

KrrGJz5.png

Note that this season was going to be a wreck if he stayed as well. The trajectory was not good. But Nebraska was OK with that because they figured the superior prestige and visibility Riley would have would allow him to recruit better and leverage his ability to develop players.

I'm skeptical of that.

I'm guessing its because they just wanted someone that was truly the anti-thesis to Pelini. I don't know why they did that either. I guess its because he had a small sliver of success at Oregon State?

I'm guessing its because they just wanted someone that was truly the anti-thesis to Pelini. I don't know why they did that either. I guess its because he had a small sliver of success at Oregon State?

It 100% has to do with being the anti-Pelini. Go from a hot head not liked by many to one of the more well liked coaches in the league who has no controversy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
John Fox got hired on at Denver after one of the worst seasons in Panther history. Sometimes hires aren't based on records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom