• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that CFB coaching staffs want way more control over their players off the field because there's a magnifying glass on everything they do, but yeah treating cost of attendance as a salary is awful. It's just more financial aid that helps cover the various cost of living bills for students that can't (for very good reason) be covered by their scholarships.

andycapps

VT's AD said he's stopping the practice, thankfully. Fines are outrageous. These aren't professional athletes, the schools are adamant about that, so they can't treat them as such.

Good. It's a really stupid decision to even think about this.

Fragamemnon said:
I get that CFB coaching staffs want way more control over their players off the field because there's a magnifying glass on everything they do, but yeah treating cost of attendance as a salary is awful. It's just more financial aid that helps cover the various cost of living bills for students that can't (for very good reason) be covered by their scholarships.

It does this, but schools with a higher cost of attendance stipend are offering that because they provide less "benefits" to their athletes. Maybe they only do 1 meal a day, but other schools do 2-3, etc.

Good. It's a really stupid decision to even think about this.

It does this, but schools with a higher cost of attendance stipend are offering that because they provide less "benefits" to their athletes. Maybe they only do 1 meal a day, but other schools do 2-3, etc.

IIRC After that one basketball player said he would go to sleep hungry on some nights, the NCAA immediately allowed unlimited snack bars on campus for the athletes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think Tuberville said Cincinnati is doing this as well. What a stupid idea. This could never backfire in recruiting..

Yup.

X4vQ5Ok.png

Did they force campuses to provide that? Also, snack bars doesn't mean the same thing as a meal.

It's optional. But how much money would a snackbar cost to have around for a year? $50K? $100K? I can't imagine it costing more than the cost of one full ride scholarship.

All three of these feeding areas — the breakfast in the dining hall, the training table or the refueling stations — are new to Wisconsin, as part of a rule passed by the NCAA's Legislative Council allowing student-athletes unlimited access to food and snacks. Before the rule was enacted last April, student-athletes received three meals a day, much like a traditional student, or a food stipend.

"When the NCAA lifted the restrictions on food, I was able to do something that I always wanted to do, and that's have all the student-athletes eat together," Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez said. "We think it's important. You always look for an edge in athletics. We think by doing things right, by eating right, we can get an edge."

link

KingGondo

Banned
I actually had it in the original before I submitted, then thought "nah, I won't do that" and removed it.

Clearly I later had second thoughts. :jnc
It's better to have come close to a championship game berth and lose to Iowa State then to never come close at all.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE WE LOST THAT FUCKING GAME

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be able to select a major unless you pass a short verbal quiz on the basics of expected value, but I'm in the minority there obviously. It's OK to get a degree in dance IF you have a usable plan to make that degree work out for you.

We kind of hit this up on that a week or so ago in a thread in the OT about the outlooks for various degrees. The people that just said parroted "do what you want, no amount of money will help with misery" was infuriating. Being poor is has all kind of bad long term life outcomes, whereas you can always take a experience in a good job you don't really like and transition it into your dream job with just a little effort.

I imagine a degree in the arts or liberal arts is mostly beneficial if you want to become a teacher. Every highschool has a drama program, so I hope she applied to be a highschool drama teacher

ag-my001

I imagine a degree in the arts or liberal arts is mostly beneficial if you want to become a teacher. Every highschool has a drama program, so I hope she applied to be a highschool drama teacher
Doubtful. She'd have to get a teaching certificate first, and most districts won't give a conditional one for drama; there's no need. Each school has one drama teacher, but 6-15 science, math, English, history, etc. Even then, people trying to "fall back" into teaching can be in for a rude surprise: while many schools will help with a career change in science because of demand, they can (and do) receive 100 applications for a single social studies position.

Doubtful. She'd have to get a teaching certificate first, and most districts won't give a conditional one for drama; there's no need. Each school has one drama teacher, but 6-15 science, math, English, history, etc. Even then, people trying to "fall back" into teaching can be in for a rude surprise: while many schools will help with a career change in science because of demand, they can (and do) receive 100 applications for a single social studies position.

The district here just started classes this Monday, and the highschool is short 6 teachers. I think they are starting some classes with permanent substitutes who are probably not qualified to really teach

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Interestingly enough, the Theater program at FSU is actually great. I would even consider letting my daughter go there. Maybe music too. As long as I can afford to support her the rest of her life.
Good clown school, too.

andycapps

Interestingly enough, the Theater program at FSU is actually great. I would even consider letting my daughter go there. Maybe music too. As long as I can afford to support her the rest of her life.

I'm not really making any judgments about the program at FSU, just stating it's one of those majors that is pretty much worthless. Might as well get a degree in art. Or that program that Auburn has for athletes.

One of my roomates-a straight shooter of the likes I wouldn't meet again until Utah-was in the marching band and loved music, wanted to be doing music things all his live. He still got a business degree because he knew it was a better way to accomplish his dream than an actual degree in music. He had a good plan too, took all of the best classes from the music school so he'd have plenty of expertise to pivot his career when the opportunity opened up.

edit: Not sure if I should do any game day rituals tomorrow since there's only one game. I'm torn-I usually love the 9-10AM cooking spree and delicious things all day to eat while games are on but it seems overkill even for a game I really am excited to watch.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what former Texas Tech LB Terrance Bullitt thinks about Tuberville given the latter's comments about fining players yesterday...

nJUuGA4.png

..but, like, I wonder how he really feels though.

Kacar

Apparently he was forcing players to play through some injuries and not putting them on the injury report. Something along those lines.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Isn't he still selling insurance or something?
To be fair to Zook, when was working at that bank it's not like he was a teller. His job was to bring in business, i.e., go out and play golf with big wigs and let them feel good about hanging out with a former head coach of the Gatas.

How exactly does the OC not know that players are being forced to play/practice with injuries? Isn't he in control of about half the team?

Your assuming that Illinois has an competitive offense.

Man, fuck Boeckman. This is ridiculous and he will & shouldn't never coach again if there is a God and he is just.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom