• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

When do we post ideas for new thread titles for the start of the season, because, it should be something about tOSU over VT being the lock of the century.

Kacar

Who needs a passing game when you have Mr. Abs of steel Zeke Elliot?

but yeah that will be tough. Hopefully Braxton and Gibson will be up to snuff so that Thomas doesn't have to be a one man army.

I knew at least one major injury was coming, it always happens, Will be interesting to see, alot of running coming.

We are fine because I don't think Tech will be able to do much on offense.

AntoneM

One. Week.

I know that most won't care but Montana and North Dakota State play THIS Saturday. Montana has the most playoff games in FCS and North Dakota State is favored to win a 5th National Championship in a row. It's being play at Montana in front of 25,000+. This will be better football than most non-power five games.

impirius

My wife has very graciously offered to watch our daughter on Thursday, so I'll be in Charlotte to see the start of the FBS season. This game could be anywhere from mildly encouraging to brutally devastating for the Gamecocks, but I'll roll the dice. I skipped last year's opener, and look where that got us.

I know that most won't care but Montana and North Dakota State play THIS Saturday. Montana has the most playoff games in FCS and North Dakota State is favored to win a 5th National Championship in a row. It's being play at Montana in front of 25,000+. This will be better football than most non-power five games.
Also, Montana now has the one and only Bob Stitt, so the offense should be especially fun to watch.

It should be a good game. Pretty smart scheduling for a first game of the season. Better than seeing that bright red field last year.

My wife has very graciously offered to watch our daughter on Thursday, so I'll be in Charlotte to see the start of the FBS season. This game could be anywhere from mildly encouraging to brutally devastating for the Gamecocks, but I'll roll the dice. I skipped last year's opener, and look where that got us.

Also, Montana now has the one and only Bob Stitt, so the offense should be especially fun to watch.

I'll also be in Charlotte for that game!
in my house.

Montana's venue is on par or better than half the Mountain West Conference teams, and NDSU is probably better than 2/3rds of the G5 teams period. NDSU did lose a lot of pieces over last year's team and last year's team wasn't invincible to begin with-should be a good game.

BTW if you ever have a chance to see a Bison home game @ the Fargodome GO FOR IT.

I wish NDSU, Wisconsin-Whitewater, and Mount Union got more love on ESPN and stuff. I mean its pretty damn impressive the dominance those schools have established and it barely warrents a blurb sometimes on sports media.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

andycapps

Is it really a stereotype if this shit keeps happening at SEC schools?

Is UNC in the SEC? You won't find many people defending Auburn around here. With all of the severe NCAA violations that they've had in the last 20-30 years, they should have been nuked from existence by the NCAA.

Yikes at these alternate uniforms Adidas made for Louisville for the Clempson game.

l2ZswWY.jpg

Subitai

Hey guys. As your least unfavorite Penn State fan, I apologize for lurking and being too busy to post during my lunches this summer.

Even though recruiting is going well, I'm dreading Urbz flipping key guys from coach Hype as signing day approaches. Especially if the game in Columbus goes particularly badly.

Is UNC in the SEC?

Yikes at these alternate uniforms Adidas made for Louisville for the Clempson game.

l2ZswWY.jpg

Colors are ok, but two different fonts is problematic.

Is UNC in the SEC? You won't find many people defending Auburn around here. With all of the severe NCAA violations that they've had in the last 20-30 years, they should have been nuked from existence by the NCAA.

l2ZswWY.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Clemson will be wearing normal all white away uniforms for the Louisville game. This is because they don't have Adidas around to ruin their brand.

JCX

I agree, OT from Saturday until polls come out Sunday would be good for attracting more people to the thread, especially since we do have weekly threads instead of a season long megathread.

Did I already miss picking Conference winners?

andycapps

Would be nice to be in OT for Thursday-Sunday of every week, but I'm wondering if the other community threads would throw a fit. Does the NFL have a thread in OT every week?

Did I already miss picking Conference winners?

Before I forget.
-ACC
Coastal - Georgia Tech
Atlantic - Clemson

-B1G
East - Ohio State
West - Wisconsin

-Big 12 TCU

-PAC 12
North - Oregon
South - UCLA

-SEC
East - Georgia
West - Arkansas

-AAC
East - UCF
West - Houston (believe in Tom Herman)

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio State
2 TCU
3 Clemson
4 UCLA
Finals
1 Ohio State
2 TCU
Champion
Ohio State

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Iowa State vs. Northern Iowa is going to be running on some screen in my house next weekend. Game is actually kind of scary for the cyclones.

Unfortunately for the Cyclones I think every game this season is going to be scary.

...except maybe Kansas.

...and Oklahoma State.

Jhriad

Would be nice to be in OT for Thursday-Sunday of every week, but I'm wondering if the other community threads would throw a fit. Does the NFL have a thread in OT every week?

That many days a week would probably be pushing it. The vast majority of games are on Saturday it would make the most sense to be in OT for that day only if the largest factor in being OT worthy is that there is new & ongoing news/events relevant to the thread. It would also probably be the easiest position to argue as it would minimize any potential impact to Off Topic. Unfortunately, I don't think that the upper brass really gives a crap about small-medium community threads or community engagement so threads like ours will probably be left to languish.

KingGondo

Banned
Unfortunately for the Cyclones I think every game this season is going to be scary.

...Except maybe Kansas.
They did lose to Kansas by 20 last year...

Although KU's roster is insanely thin and they've lost several of their best players to injury already.

Gundy sounding very optimistic in his press conference. He says this could be our best defense in his tenure. Emmanuel Ogbah is out there destroying people, which has apparently made it hard to evaluate the tackle positions.

Monroeski said:
...and Oklahoma State.
Smh at that late edit son.

andycapps

That many days a week would probably be pushing it. The vast majority of games are on Saturday it would make the most sense to be in OT for that day only if the largest factor in being OT worthy is that there is new & ongoing news/events relevant to the thread. It would also probably be the easiest position to argue as it would minimize any potential impact to Off Topic. Unfortunately, I don't think that the upper brass really gives a crap about small-medium community threads or community engagement so threads like ours will probably be left to languish.

Don't we have a few mods in CFB now that can move threads around?

Lot of big games next week. I think each of these games are worthy of having their own threads on week 1. Nothing is stopping us from making them in the OT

Soooooooo cloooooooooooooseeee

CM3xWK_UkAA2VAi.jpg

Jhriad

Don't we have a few mods in CFB now that can move threads around?

No idea if all mods can do that or if it's only certain individuals. Cyan would probably know. *shrug*

Even so, it would probably be something that would have to be discussed with higher ups.

Lot of big games next week. I think each of these games are worthy of having their own threads on week 1. Nothing is stopping us from making them in the OT

Multiple threads at once would split discussion and probably just irritate users and mods because they would clutter up OT.

You people that want more people around... I don't get you. Stop doing that.

But if you want to push for being in OT, I'd say you might get away with asking to be there for week 1 and maybe week 2 on game day, and then stick to Community exclusively the rest of the season until the playoff. You don't need to be on OT every week. Interest is high at the beginning of the season, lure them in, and then stick to Community with whomever decides to stick around. It's basically like being the OT for a game, eventually you move off the gaming forum for good. The college football season is the game in this metaphor. Start on OT, move to Community and stay.

Jhriad

I don't think it's a bad idea in principle, but there's sort of a consistency problem where then other sports threads, or just other threads that don't like being in community, will get upset and want to also get moved around

Yeah, obviously the other sports are a little more difficult to move around because sports like basketball and baseball play games throughout the week rather than having most of their games on a single day like college or pro football.

Yeah, I'm not a mod but the only "acceptable" thing that doesn't generate a TON of extra work would be for a new season thread to be made in OT for some period of time (say, a week), after which it is moved to Community, and all subsequent threads must be in Community for that season.

edit: Randolph has the right idea there.

So fucking hyped for the start of Pac 12 football.

This is the year that the Best Coast gets the championship again. Oregon State - don't sleep on them guys!

Yeah, I'm not a mod but the only "acceptable" thing that doesn't generate a TON of extra work would be for a new season thread to be made in OT for some period of time (say, a week), after which it is moved to Community, and all subsequent threads must be in Community for that season.

edit: Randolph has the right idea there.

Sounds good to me. That will be our week long "recruiting" period to at least remind the people who never check Community that we exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom