• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Can someone tell me why the governing body for "American" football is hosted in France and presided over by a Swede?

Did we lose a god damn war, people?

NCAA Investigating Academic Fraud At 20 Colleges, 18 in Division I

Nobody knows who the schools are yet, but prepare for a tsunami of devastating sanctions like the ones that crippled UNC

Gary Andersen has confirmed that he left for Oregon State because admission standards in Madison were too high:
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/201...andersen-left-wisconsin-because-of-university

Seems like the problem was that Andersen was telling these kids he could get them in and admissions wouldn't play ball. Last week another one of Andersen's 4-star recruits decommitted after Chryst told him that it would be a long shot for him to qualify.

CardaleJones.tweet

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
#15 on a long ass list about why the B1G's sudden relevance will only be temporary.

When you have SEC and ACC schools getting kids in to play who obviously couldn't pass a middle school reading test, much less get into an AAU school, good fucking luck getting high-caliber recruits to your school long-term, no matter how good your on-the-field record is.

Bad enough it gets cold in the winter here, mix in a legitimate college education requirement and you are basically waving goodbye to 80 percent of the top 300 recruits :p

cdyhybrid

#15 on a long ass list about why the B1G's sudden relevance will only be temporary.

When you have SEC and ACC schools getting kids in to play who obviously couldn't pass a middle school reading test, much less get into an AAU school, good fucking luck getting high-caliber recruits to your school long-term, no matter how good your on-the-field record is.

Bad enough it gets cold in the winter here, mix in a legitimate college education requirement and you are basically waking goodbye to 80 percent of the top 300 recruits :p

I know this feel :(

It's nearly impossible for JC guys to get in, even.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I know this feel :(

It's nearly impossible for JC guys to get in, even.

At least you have Seattle as a secondary draw.

Try Lincoln, Bloomingdale, Champagne, Lafayette, or the entire state of New Jersey to draw kids to spend their formidable college years there. B1G really is just kind of screwed from a geographic, climate, and expectation viewpoint. Even still, success and failure on the fields and in recruiting always comes down to coaching. A great coach can get people to follow him, no matter the other extenuating circumstances.

At least you have Seattle as a secondary draw.

Try Lincoln, Bloomingdale, Champagne, Lafayette, or the entire state of New Jersey to draw kids to spend their formidable college years there. B1G really is just kind of screwed from a geographic, climate, and expectation viewpoint. Even still, success and failure on the fields and in recruiting always comes down to coaching. A great coach can get people to follow him, no matter the other extenuating circumstances.

Um, Jersey actually has a lot to tout in terms of doing for kids.

Rutgers is smack dab in the middle of the state.

You're a hour train ride into MSG, or a hour train ride into Philly. A hour car ride to the shore. There's much more to Jersey than the 10 mile stretch of they show in the opening credits of The Sopranos.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Um, Jersey actually has a lot to tout in terms of doing for kids.

Rutgers is smack dab in the middle of the state.

You're a hour train ride into MSG, or a hour train ride into Philly. A hour car ride to the shore. There's much more to Jersey than the 10 mile stretch of they show in the opening credits of The Sopranos.

That's the joke...

Gary Andersen has confirmed that he left for Oregon State because admission standards in Madison were too high:
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/201...andersen-left-wisconsin-because-of-university

Seems like the problem was that Andersen was telling these kids he could get them in and admissions wouldn't play ball. Last week another one of Andersen's 4-star recruits decommitted after Chryst told him that it would be a long shot for him to qualify.

This seems like a pretty lousy excuse on Andersen's part.

Draxal

Yep, that's what happened to Madden and the hs coach hates Andersen with a passion for it.

It's because of the 4 year foreign language requirement compared to three that every other school than Wisconsin has.

To be fair, Wisconsin's admissions rule is really stupid.

The Clarke Peters video for the national championship has me super hyped for next season. I know the odds of us even being in the final 4 are super slim, but hopefully it won't be long before we're back up there.

http://bluefoottv.com/projects/college-football-playoffs-the-game-opening-sequence-clarke-peters/

Still deciding how much alcohol I need to put in my body to watch the broadcast of the game. :p

Oh yeah this is the video that so accurately nailed Columbus as being corn fields and manufacturing plants. Oh wait, thats nothing what it is, this isnt NE Ohio

Still a good video though

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So Birmingham was selected to host the 2021 World Games.

I had never heard of the World Games prior to tonight, but apparently they include such fine sports as tug of war, bowling and korfball, among others.

Edit: oh, shit. American Football is one of the sports included! http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/birmingham_wins_city_chosen_as.html

Martial Arts
Ju-Jitsu (Duo, Fighting, Ne-Waza)
Karate (Kata, Kumite)
Sumo
Muay Thai

Already sounds better than the Olympics. It's just like one of my Japanese Video Games.

AntoneM

SEC/ACC peeps. Going to be in Panama City Beach in the middle of March for a wedding. What can I expect? Will there be good BBQ or is the seafood better? How do I not piss off the wife with all the college girls running around? Is there anything nearby that I must check out? What is the traffic like? What's the weather like? Will it rain?

SEC/ACC peeps. Going to be in Panama City Beach in the middle of March for a wedding. What can I expect? Will there be good BBQ or is the seafood better? How do I not piss off the wife with all the college girls running around? Is there anything nearby that I must check out? What is the traffic like? What's the weather like? Will it rain?

Its a shitty spring break location, with shitty tourist things to do. The end

mre

I'm going to put this delicately... do either the bride or groom have a neck color tending towards the redder end of the color spectrum?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

rain.
Either will probably be good.
Sunglasses.
I hear they have Starbucks
Better Off walking.
Rain.
Rain.

AntoneM

I'm going to put this delicately... do either the bride or groom have a neck color tending towards the redder end of the color spectrum?
Nah, they live in Alabama which doesn't allow for gay marriage and one of them has a step mother who has a beach house in Panama City so they're going to get married there and then celebrate at the beach house.

mre

Nah, they live in Alabama which doesn't allow for gay marriage and one of them has a step mother who has a beach house in Panama City so they're going to get married there and then celebrate at the beach house.
Ahh, okay. Bummer that they still can't get married here.

Panama City is... interesting? There's tons of tourist-trap type stuff to do, but whether or not you'll actually want to do it is another story entirely. Everything in Panama City is going to be stupid crowded in March, including the restaurants. And the main road on "the Strip" is going to essentially be a parking lot at night as stupid high school and college kids ride up and down it as slowly as they possibly can. Crowds will just be something you have to deal with if you want to eat out anywhere in Panama City while you're there. Perhaps the most "famous" restaurant people want to go to is Pineapple Willy's, though it will definitely be crowded. I cannot personally attest to the quality of food, because fuck the crowds. Ain't no place worth that in my mind.

Panama City Beach can be beautiful if it's not trashed by spring breakers when you go.

cdyhybrid

Yeah I never applied to Wiscy because of the foreign language requirement.

Fuck that.

Tested out of my foreign language requirement before I stepped foot on campus!

I then proceeded to stop using it and forget 80% of it, so maybe it wasn't the best thing in the long run.

AntoneM

Ahh, okay. Bummer that they still can't get married here.

Panama City is... interesting? There's tons of tourist-trap type stuff to do, but whether or not you'll actually want to do it is another story entirely. Everything in Panama City is going to be stupid crowded in March, including the restaurants. And the main road on "the Strip" is going to essentially be a parking lot at night as stupid high school and college kids ride up and down it as slowly as they possibly can. Crowds will just be something you have to deal with if you want to eat out anywhere in Panama City while you're there. Perhaps the most "famous" restaurant people want to go to is Pineapple Willy's, though it will definitely be crowded. I cannot personally attest to the quality of food, because fuck the crowds. Ain't no place worth that in my mind.

Panama City Beach can be beautiful if it's not trashed by spring breakers when you go.

Thanks. Sounds like the best thing to do would be to load up on some groceries and cook and grill the whole time (I doubt I'll have access to a smoker so BBQ is a no go).

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Tested out of my foreign language requirement before I stepped foot on campus!

I then proceeded to stop using it and forget 80% of it, so maybe it wasn't the best thing in the long run.

I took enough equivalence tests for Spanish that I nearly got a minor without ever stepping foot in a classroom. :)

mre

Thanks. Sounds like the best thing to do would be to load up on some groceries and cook and grill the whole time (I doubt I'll have access to a smoker so BBQ is a no go).
It may be worth it to venture out to a restaurant one night if you want seafood. My grandmother lives near Panama City, and she personally likes Captain Anderson's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/captain-and...ain+Anderson's+Restaurant+&+Waterfront+Market

Dee's Hang Out is also supposed to be pretty good: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dees-hang-out-panama-city-beach?osq=seafood+captain

I haven't eaten at either, but if you like seafood, the Gulf Coast has some of the best.

I agree. Does Wisconsin have that much higher/tougher admission standards then some of the better academic programs in the Pac 12? Obviously we know not everyone has Stanford level stuff, but what about USC, UCLA and Cal? Those schools have all been top 25 ranked programs multiple times in the past decade while also being higher rated schools academically than most of the B1G.

It may be worth it to venture out to a restaurant one night if you want seafood. My grandmother lives near Panama City, and she personally likes Captain Anderson's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/captain-and...ain+Anderson's+Restaurant+&+Waterfront+Market

Dee's Hang Out is also supposed to be pretty good: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dees-hang-out-panama-city-beach?osq=seafood+captain

I haven't eaten at either, but if you like seafood, the Gulf Coast has some of the best.

Captain Anderson's is indeed delicious. We went there the last time we were in PC.

Too bad he isn't going to Destin, then I would highly suggest McGuire's.

OSU fans, if you arent going to the shoe tomorrow for the celebration it will be airing on BTN from 11-12. If you are going theyre going to be showing the 2nd half of the oregon game on the scoreboard before it starts.

tokkun

I agree. Does Wisconsin have that much higher/tougher admission standards then some of the better academic programs in the Pac 12? Obviously we know not everyone has Stanford level stuff, but what about USC, UCLA and Cal? Those schools have all been top 25 ranked programs multiple times in the past decade while also being higher rated schools academically than most of the B1G.

Alvarez compared it to Stanford and Northwestern when talking about the requirements. You can't necessarily just look at the US News rankings. There is talk that this recruit that recently failed to qualify may end up at Michigan, which is usually ranked higher than Wisconsin. Schools are willing to adjust their standards to different levels when it comes to scholarship athletes that are not necessarily going to track with the admission standards for normal students.

I think a lot of people don't really understand that despite the fact that the program has had consistent success over the last 15 years and sells out its games, there is not really the same sort of institutional support for sports at Wisconsin that there is in the other successful B1G programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, or even Michigan State. Salaries for assistants are low and the quality of the facilities is not that good. So it does not surprise me that admissions is not willing to relax the requirements for athletes.

I can't really speak from any personal experience about how those cultures persist in the different PAC12 schools, but from the outside looking in, it certainly feels like USC and maybe UCLA might be more willing to do whatever they could to get top atheletes in. Who knows.

Anyway, it is what is. Wisconsin's requirements didn't change when Andersen showed up. Alvarez and Bielema and Bo Ryan have all worked within the same constraints, so I don't see why it should be any excuse for Andersen.

Draxal

The kid that decommited would have been accepted by every other school in the BIG.

mre

What's all that matter? The guy went to OSUnw. Is OSUnw some sort of bastion of academia that nobody else is aware of, or did you just forget to list it along with USC, UCLA and Cal?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Daylon Mack in on campus at UT.

If we can flip Lodge, Mack and Murray and get Burt back into the fold, and nab Hill and Boyd as expected that will make for a very very solid class for Strong.

I still think there was a personal/family angle on the Anderson departure. That he would go back to a place like Corvallis after living in Logan @ USU shouldn't be surprising.

I don't expect a lot of people to get it, but I've spent significant time at a lot of the small western college towns and they are very special. I'm sure the documented UW issues were a factor along with Alvarez, but my instincts tell me he wanted to go back out west too.

AntoneM

Alvarez compared it to Stanford and Northwestern when talking about the requirements. You can't necessarily just look at the US News rankings. There is talk that this recruit that recently failed to qualify may end up at Michigan, which is usually ranked higher than Wisconsin. Schools are willing to adjust their standards to different levels when it comes to scholarship athletes that are not necessarily going to track with the admission standards for normal students.

I think a lot of people don't really understand that despite the fact that the program has had consistent success over the last 15 years and sells out its games, there is not really the same sort of institutional support for sports at Wisconsin that there is in the other successful B1G programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, or even Michigan State. Salaries for assistants are low and the quality of the facilities is not that good. So it does not surprise me that admissions is not willing to relax the requirements for athletes.

I can't really speak from any personal experience about how those cultures persist in the different PAC12 schools, but from the outside looking in, it certainly feels like USC and maybe UCLA might be more willing to do whatever they could to get top atheletes in. Who knows.

Anyway, it is what is. Wisconsin's requirements didn't change when Andersen showed up. Alvarez and Bielema and Bo Ryan have all worked within the same constraints, so I don't see why it should be any excuse for Andersen.

There is generally a large disparity between admission standards and the averages of student actually admitted. Like the standard might be 2.8GPA but the average GPA of student admitted is like 3.4 or something. They can get athlete in on the minimum standards even if their scores are far below the average student. In this case it sounds like Wisconsin has some crazy minimum standards.

tokkun

I still think there was a personal/family angle on the Anderson departure. That he would go back to a place like Corvallis after living in Logan @ USU shouldn't be surprising.

I don't know. Kind of hard to put a "family" spin on it when his son transfered to Madison and Andersen didn't even discuss the decision to leave with him or even let him know it was on the table.

Gary Andersen said:
“It was hard for Chasen. I felt he needed to be educated in that process,” Andersen said, as transcribed by Coaching Search. “He was on that team and part of that team, and I wanted Chasen to be educated in that process the way the rest of the team was. He is a young man now. He is not a 13- or 14-year-old kid. He is not going to be living with us here and is out on his own. He was given an opportunity to hear it just like the rest of the team was. I think that took him a little bit by surprise, and I get that, but that is just what I thought was best as a dad and I thought that was best as a coach.”

Right, I'm aware that you can't just look at US New rankings because many schools have lower standards for athletes than normal students. I am not familiar with Wisconsin's academic standards.

The kid that decommited would have been accepted by every other school in the BIG.

Ah I see.

What's all that matter? The guy went to OSUnw. Is OSUnw some sort of bastion of academia that nobody else is aware of, or did you just forget to list it along with USC, UCLA and Cal?

Uh, I guess my point was that some of the schools in the Pac 12 are considered top/high tier academically like UCLA, Stanford, USC and Cal, while others like OSU, ASU, Arizona, WSU not as much. While we all know by now that Stanford requires the same level of academic excellence from student athletes as regular students it is not entirely known if say USC requires their players to be accepted by normal admission standards or if they have a lower bar for student athletes (seems likely).

I guess to clear up confusion here is what I am after:

1. How rigorous are Wisconsin's normal admissions standards
2. Are student athletes held to the same standards as regular students
3. How do both sets of standards compare to those at the second tier academic institutions of the Pac 12 like USC and UCLA, schools which are regularly competitive in football and generally considered to be more rigorous academic institutions than Wisconsin.
4. Are Oregon State's standards so significantly lower to matter?

Draxal

Right, I'm aware that you can't just look at US New rankings because many schools have lower standards for athletes than normal students. I am not familiar with Wisconsin's academic standards.

Ah I see.

Uh, I guess my point was that some of the schools in the Pac 12 are considered top/high tier academically like UCLA, Stanford, USC and Cal, while others like OSU, ASU, Arizona, WSU not as much. While we all know by now that Stanford requires the same level of academic excellence from student athletes as regular students it is not entirely known if say USC requires their players to be accepted by normal admission standards or if they have a lower bar for student athletes (seems likely).

I guess to clear up confusion here is what I am after:

1. How rigorous are Wisconsin's normal admissions standards
2. Are student athletes held to the same standards as regular students
3. How do both sets of standards compare to those at the second tier academic institutions of the Pac 12 like USC and UCLA, schools which are regularly competitive in football and generally considered to be more rigorous academic institutions than Wisconsin.

1234. I posted it earlier, four year second language requirement instead of three that most every other school requires.

edit. It's 3 years for Wisconsin and 2 for NCAA.

cdyhybrid

$9.95 says that Texas' #1 RB recruit is visiting them this weekend, and if he commits that means they probably let Chris Warren go, which would put us in great shape.

Neat.

*cough*

edit: damn it I should check the most recent posts before posting

tokkun

1234. I posted it earlier, four year second language requirement instead of three that most every other school requires.

edit. It's 3 years for Wisconsin and 2 for NCAA.

The actual minimum requirement is 4 years of electives, of which 2 years must be foreign language. They state that most accepted students take 3-4 years of foreign language, but it's not actually a hard limit. I know it's possible to get in with only 2 years, because that's all my high school offered.

Wisconsin requires 17 high school credits.
Oregon State requires 15.

Is the difference significant? I guess that depends on the credit distribution for top recruits, and I don't have that data.

Here's the test score distributions for admitted students, but there is no way to know how this varies for athletes vs non-athletes, so I won't put too much thought into it.

OSU
11kbVdd.jpg

UW
LP0e8MA.png

Sorry for the contents of this post /offseason

jjasper

Bad enough it gets cold in the winter here, mix in a legitimate college education requirement and you are basically waving goodbye to 80 percent of the top 300 recruits :p

You do realize that admission standards excuse is a crock of shit and these schools will take 99% of all people who qualify per NCAA. And that 1% are lower level recruits not worth the risk. The Big ten has been shit becuase it has been filled with shit coaches. Coaches improve the teams will magically have quality players again.

Now when they get into school there is wide range in academic support, rules about what classes they can take, etc.

Edit: and Anderson. That shit is clearly about the other schools starting to get better and getting out before you start getting drilled by the better coaches.

Draxal

You do realize that admission standards excuse is a crock of shit and these schools will take 99% of all people who qualify per NCAA. And that 1% are lower level recruits not worth the risk. The Big ten has been shit becuase it has been filled with shit coaches. Coaches improve the teams will magically have quality players again.

Now when they get into school there is wide range in academic support, rules about what classes they can take, etc.

That and lack of unscrupulous coaches who oversign (holy shit your coach is a scumbag, but I'll take the recruit that you just dumped).

tokkun

No, these kids who have been failing to qualify have been the top recruits in Andersen's classes, and they end up going to other DI schools. The top recruit from last year is at Michigan State.

Edit: and Anderson. That shit is clearly about the other schools starting to get better and getting out before you start getting drilled by the better coaches.

Yeah, I'm sure he won't get drilled playing a rivalry game against Oregon every year.

jjasper

So he didn't qualify and the went to a school with a coach that is a better recruiter and widely recognized as one of the top coaches in college. Pretty suspect.

Fans use this excuse all the time. Fucking tennessee fans were using it when Vandy was pulling in better recruits because there was some report that one or two players "didn't qualify" and they went to vandy when in reality Dooley was a shitty coach and recruiter and Franklin is not. Butch comes and Franklin leaves and suddenly it doesn't happen anymore. Also funny you do t hear OSU fans bitching about over signing or qualifiers now that they have one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country.

Edt; there are exceptions though. Navy, Air Force, Army, and BYU clearly have shit outside of football and class that limit their recruits somewhat.

Draxal

The actual minimum requirement is 4 years of electives, of which 2 years must be foreign language. They state that most accepted students take 3-4 years of foreign language, but it's not actually a hard limit. I know it's possible to get in with only 2 years, because that's all my high school offered.

Instate or out of state? Requirements are usually tougher for out of state, which is why Andersen probably thought he could get admissions to play ball with this kid.

So he didn't qualify and the went to a school with a coach that is a better recruiter and widely recognized as one of the top coaches in college. Pretty suspect.

Fans use this excuse all the time. Fucking tennessee fans were using it when Vandy was pulling in better recruits because there was some report that one or two players "didn't qualify" and they went to vandy when in reality Dooley was a shitty coach and recruiter and Franklin is not. Butch comes and Franklin leaves and suddenly it doesn't happen anymore. Also funny you do t hear OSU fans bitching about over signing or qualifiers now that they have one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country.

The kid they just dumped really wanted to go to Wiscy, and is being recruited by a ton of schools right now. It really's an annoyance for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom