• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

The mobile version is a notable step backward. I'm okay with it on a PC, but having to click scores and ONLY seeing scores is a major, major mistake. It was so nice being able to quickly change the sport and see scores + news on the previous iteration. Some of these sites just lose sight of the fact that mobile sites should be "glancible" if you will. There is no need to go overboard -- make it easy to look down at for a moment as you walk.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I like it a lot better personally. Loads way faster for me and easier on the eyes.

It's not the best, but it's a whole lot better than the old one which was complete shit.

Don't agree at all. The ads seem much more prevalent, and the combination of the infinite scrolling and the "recommended by Outbrain" sets of ads make it feel like a cheap blog to me.

::edit::
I've also opened up multiple stories over the last few days that autoplay videos (in what appears to be Flash) that do not have pause, mute, or close buttons on them, which is 100% certified bullshit.

Don't agree at all. The ads seem much more prevalent, and the combination of the infinite scrolling and the "recommended by Outbrain" sets of ads make it feel like a cheap blog to me.

Word.

I've noticed in most website redesigns, the ads and site content are becoming a lot more blended. If they get their ad revenue via "pay per click", I guess its a smart move because I almost accidentally clicked an ad link on their new layout today.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
According to this, police arrested him in response to a third party complaint. Evidence and witness testimony seemed to indicate the domestic violence.

I'm no fancy Southern lawyuh, but he hasn't had his trial yet for his offenses at UGA. I believe that's in June. So as far as I know, I don't know that his guilt has been established thus far. Though the information that's out there regarding his charges at UGA does seem to point towards him being guilty of those offenses.
And this is why you avoid players with this sort of background:
The 24-year-old accuser in former Alabama defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor's domestic violence arrest has told police the bruises officers spotted on her neck Saturday night were self-inflicted, according to court records. AL.com's Matt Zenitz was first to report.

During an interview with police Tuesday, the accuser said she "used her hands to cause the bruises around her neck," according to court documents obtained by AL.com. She also said damage to a door in her residence was done before Saturday night's incident.

The accuser told officers Tuesday she was seeking revenge on Taylor, who she suspected was cheating on her for a second time. He originally cheated on her in December, according to the documents.

She initially contacted police Monday to recant her story, saying Taylor did not hurt her.

Taylor was dismissed from the Alabama football program Sunday, shortly after the incident occurred.
The more this woman talks, the more I get vibes like Ray Rice's GF/wife.

Though if she keeps insisting upon hoisting and rehoisting herself up on this petard, then Taylor may end up back on the team while she does a spin in jail for her trouble.

Enron

Banned
Spent the afternoon back in Athens. Had lunch at what USED to be Harry Bisset's downtown, walked around north campus with some friends. Even though downtown is much more filled in that it was 14 years ago, it and north campus largely look the same. Walking around, it still feels like I live there. Very weird.

16816394427_2e7bfd8795_b.jpg

No more Army Black Knights. They're reverting to the Cadets (they switched over to Black Knights in 1999).

I wouldn't be surprised if The Cadets play a schedule of 12 SEC teams in 2016

"Games against FBS independents BYU, Army and Notre Dame will now count toward the SEC's requirement of playing one nonconference Power 5 team per season, sources told ESPN.com.

Beginning in 2016, the SEC will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team."

Draxal

I wouldn't be surprised if The Cadets play a schedule of 12 SEC teams in 2016

"Games against FBS independents BYU, Army and Notre Dame will now count toward the SEC's requirement of playing one nonconference Power 5 team per season, sources told ESPN.com.

Beginning in 2016, the SEC will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team."

No they won't, Army left CUSA because it was too competitive for them (mind you it wasn't the current CUSA, but even still).

Army has an issue where they can't recruit players, like Navy because they can't get out of size restrictions.

ag-my001

Go Gata!

Seriously, though, how much would it suck to think you'd been admitted, only to keep reading and find out you have to do two years of school online first? I'm hoping they at least filtered out majors like Chem and Physics where you can't do lab courses online.

pxleyes

Banned
Go Gata!

Seriously, though, how much would it suck to think you'd been admitted, only to keep reading and find out you have to do two years of school online first? I'm hoping they at least filtered out majors like Chem and Physics where you can't do lab courses online.

Lot of misinformation going around about this.

-Kids were told very plainly what program they were admitted into.
-The program is called PACE, and it allows you to transfer on campus.
-This isn't new, a lot of colleges and universities have been doing this for years.

ag-my001

Certainly, though I think the major point was that applicants didn't know this was an option until they got the letter. I just think the two years of online study is a bit much. Working in education, the only benefit to students is the flexible timing. Everything else is just a way for the school to save/make more money.

*Full Disclosure: I still mock A&M for their ridiculous "University Studies" major. Now that is a farcical program.

Limedust

“The market for freshman is by no means clear anywhere in the country,” UF Provost Joe Glover said in an interview.

I've always thought admission standards are generally pretty clear.

Under the PaCe rules, degree-seeking students accepted into the program must spend a minimum of two semesters and complete at least 15 credit hours online. After earning a total of 60 credits — up to 45 credits may come from previous college credits earned through AP, IB, Dual Enrollment or other accelerated methods — and meeting program requirements, they may move from online learning to the campus as residential students.

So, Online-JUCO.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yep, losing him hurts the most out of all the players we've lost so far.

hearing it might be an ankle. Still out for a few months, but "should" be back for the season.

Now, having to play a season on a recently reconstructed ankle, rather than going out there completely healthy...

I tried my best not to waste any energy being envious of Wisconsin basketball, especially since we kicked the shit out of them in the B1G football title game on the road to our national championship.

That said, I'm extremely glad they lost, and that Bo Ryan responded by being his usual bitter asshole self. I wish Bo could also coach their football team so I could go back to hating them as much as I did in the Bielema days.

Draxal

I tried my best not to waste any energy being envious of Wisconsin basketball, especially since we kicked the shit out of them in the B1G football title game on the road to our national championship.

That said, I'm extremely glad they lost, and that Bo Ryan responded by being his usual bitter asshole self. I wish Bo could also coach their football team so I could go back to hating them as much as I did in the Bielema days.

He was so salty when he lost to Rutgers it was amazing.

mre

Off-season redeemed! Auburn has gone full Aggy: http://wp.auburn.edu/sga/auburns-newest-tradition-ring-night/

On Thursday, April 9, 2015, all Auburn Students are encouraged to join in Auburn’s newest tradition: Ring Night.

Ring Night will begin at 6:56 p.m. at Langdon Hall when the Auburn University Official Class Rings are placed on the Auburn Seal in order to gain the Auburn Spirit and also receive the curse that comes from touching the seal.

Ring Night festivities will officially conclude at 7:30. At 8:15 p.m., the rings will be removed from the seal and will await the reversal of the curse that will take place at Ring Ceremony. The time 6:56 corresponds to 18:56 in military time, which is symbolic of the foundation of Auburn University in 1856. The time 8:15 corresponds to 20:15 in military time, which symbolizes the rings removal from the seal in 2015.

At the Ring Ceremony on Sunday, April 12, ring recipients will dip their ring in a bowl of water from the President’s Fountain in order to reverse the curse that was placed on the ring after touching the seal, but maintain the Auburn Spirit that their ring embodies.

All Auburn students are encouraged to join us at Langdon Hall to help continue building the foundation of this tradition! Hot chocolate, apple cider and cookies will be provided to attendees.

mre

They've gone way past us here. Our Ring Day is all about getting your picture taken and finding a pitcher of beer. No curses that I'm aware of.
Pussies. Real men have hot chocolate, cider and cookies after getting their ring. They don't drink beer.

As of 2016, they will not need to.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nship-game-restrictions-to-be-relaxed-by-2016

Bad news for Cinci.

Interesting thing is that the ACC might go for 3 divisions.

I've been playing OOTP Baseball, which is a baseball spreadsheet simulator and thinking about it, it would be fun to have a college football version. Especially because OOTP has a fun feature where the league rules can change over time (like the NL adopting the DH). It'd be cool to have a college version with rule changes, conference realignments etc.

Basically all the meta game shit EA always tried to do with NCAA but never got quite right.

As of 2016, they will not need to.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nship-game-restrictions-to-be-relaxed-by-2016

Bad news for Cinci.

Interesting thing is that the ACC might go for 3 divisions.

The biggest issue for the ACC continues to be how to get teams to play one another more often, given other scheduling constraints. Florida State, for example, has a yearly game against Miami from the other division, which means they have only one slot for any other member of that division in any year, which means they'll only play other members of that division once every six years, which also means those members won't go to Florida State but once every 12 years. Those members, while possibly happy to not have to lose to Florida State, aren't happy about not playing often enough in Florida (reason: recruiting), and would also not be happy about Florida State not coming to their place (reason: ticket sales).

You could say "go to 9 games like most other conferences!," but that's just not going to happen with the Notre Dame scheduling arrangement and with several teams having yearly rivalry games against SEC schools. Smaller divisions or divisions otherwise not fixed would solve many of the scheduling frequency issues.

Another thing for the ACC is balance, with Florida State and Clemson being the best teams and being in the same division.

tl;dr: 14 teams are too many. Big XII has everything right except for the name.

Putting aside my satisfaction at OSU being in a scholarship crunch from oversigning, it seems like this is an injured kid who is still on the team and who Dr. Anderson has cleared to possibly return to football activities in the fall. So... not sure I see the issue here.

Yeah I was kind of super confused about it, sounded like OSU said hey you cant do anything this spring/summer but maybe in the fall.

Putting aside my satisfaction at OSU being in a scholarship crunch from oversigning, it seems like this is an injured kid who is still on the team and who Dr. Anderson has cleared to possibly return to football activities in the fall. So... not sure I see the issue here.

Yeah I was kind of super confused about it, sounded like OSU said hey you cant do anything this spring/summer but maybe in the fall.

Just wanted to post it because it's out there. I don't personally see an issue, either.

andycapps

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike them more.

It's a shitty thing to do to the kid. He's an early enrollee and wants to play football. While it sounds like he's had injury after injury, they're just saying to a freshman that he's never going to be able to play there due to medical reasons, but that they'll still honor his scholarship. I don't think he wants to throw in the towel as a freshman. Or they could also be saying that since he's unable to play right now they're going to grayshirt him for this year until they're under their limit and then might put him back on the team.

According to the Dr, it's a 4-6 week injury. The issue here is that tOSU is at 88 scholarship players and has to do some "roster management" to hit the 85 number. Is Oversigning.com still around? Wasn't that run by an tOSU fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom