• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Do Coaches count towards the Fulmer Cup?

48l0W.jpg

Should have gone to the Pajole Motel 6. Learn from this, Mr. Pierre Ingram.
Yikes.

How does this number compare to current GT students who even know what football is?
Considering that most announcers on ESPN don't even know what a chop block is, I would guess that about 1/4th of football fans know. That would mean that GT has about 200 football fans in its student base which is probably a pretty accurate number.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Considering that most announcers on ESPN don't even know what a chop block is, I would guess that about 1/4th of football fans know. That would mean that GT has about 200 football fans in its student base which is probably a pretty accurate number.
Lol, fair enough.

andycapps

Hopefully the old man is gone and forgotten by then. One of the most overrated and morally inept coaches in history.

He's trying to get the Florida schools to do an exhibition game with them. I think it's a great idea, actually. You can go full speed and not worry about injuring your own players as much, plus gives you a better idea of where you are. You'd have to make rules to keep the QB's off limits.

Urban Meyer is in agreement
that satellite training camps like Penn State and Michigan have been doing should be outlawed. There's some other stuff in there too.

Is there any recruiting rule you’d like to see the NCAA change to make it better for the colleges and the recruits? “I think we need eliminate all these little mini-camps — these satellite camps and going out and working other people’s camps. I don’t think that’s good for anybody. I think everybody should take care of their own house, and all that stuff should be off-limits. They need to come to your campus. That will help eliminate the middle men as well.”

I'm not surprised the one recruiting rule he mentions is the one that undermines the strength of established schools with a large local recruiting base to lock down said base.

Its not as if Ohio State has had Ohio locked down, before Tressel came along Ohio was wide open, Michigan was constantly poaching people out of state left and right. JT came in and locked this shit down and Urbz has kept it locked.

mre

He's trying to get the Florida schools to do an exhibition game with them. I think it's a great idea, actually. You can go full speed and not worry about injuring your own players as much, plus gives you a better idea of where you are. You'd have to make rules to keep the QB's off limits.

Urban Meyer is in agreement
that satellite training camps like Penn State and Michigan have been doing should be outlawed. There's some other stuff in there too.
This doesn't make any sense:
"They need to come to your campus. That will help eliminate the middle men as well.”
The cost to attend these football camps is born by the players, right? As far as I'm aware there's not provision for allowing schools to "scholarship" players to attend their summer camps. Plus, the kids have to actually get to the camps. So in cases where (1) the parents can't afford the cost of the camps and/or (2) have to work and can't actually take their kids to the camp, then only having camps on campus would become prohibitively more expensive the further one is removed from the university. This would therefore increase the likelihood that some sort of middleman is introduced into the equation who has both the resources and time to take the kids to the camps.

andycapps

I'm not surprised the one recruiting rule he mentions is the one that undermines the strength of established schools with a large local recruiting base to lock down said base.

I feel like he just doesn't want to do these camps because they don't need to, and so he wants them to be outlawed by the conference.

The SEC wants them outlawed by everyone because they already have a rule against doing this, but now they have a couple B1G schools coming in their home turf running satellite camps.

I think they should be outlawed.

This doesn't make any sense:

The cost to attend these football camps is born by the players, right? As far as I'm aware there's not provision for allowing schools to "scholarship" players to attend their summer camps. Plus, the kids have to actually get to the camps. So in cases where (1) the parents can't afford the cost of the camps and/or (2) have to work and can't actually take their kids to the camp, then only having camps on campus would become prohibitively more expensive the further one is removed from the university. This would therefore increase the likelihood that some sort of middleman is introduced into the equation who has both the resources and time to take the kids to the camps.

Middlemen already exist in either case, so I don't think that that is the reason to do away with these. The real reason is that the in-state schools don't want schools coming across country to set up base in their home court.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just think it's only 4 months till games actually start. I won't say meaningful games since everyone still loves cupcakes early on in the season even with the playoffs.

Just think it's only 4 months till games actually start. I won't say meaningful games since everyone still loves cupcakes early on in the season even with the playoffs.

It's a little longer than that. Games won't start until September this year. Closer to 4.5 months away. I do wish they would stretch out the season a bit more so we always have regular season games in August and December

‏@Jake_Trotter 1h1 hour ago
Art Briles asked about his non-conf. scheduling philosophy. Said non-conf schedule had “zero effect” on Baylor getting left out last season

lololololol

Draxal

It's a little longer than that. Games won't start until September this year. Closer to 4.5 months away. I do wish they would stretch out the season a bit more so we always have regular season games in August and December

I know it was an offhand remark by a coach that didn't give a shit anymore (June Jones @ SMU) but I really did love his suggestion of having g5 football played in the spring for more exposure.

KingGondo

Banned
‏@Jake_Trotter 1h1 hour ago
Art Briles asked about his non-conf. scheduling philosophy. Said non-conf schedule had “zero effect” on Baylor getting left out last season

lololololol
Last year will probably prove to be the exception rather than the rule.

FSU going undefeated really threw a wrench in the process. Any objective observer knew they weren't one of the 4 best teams but it was impossible to leave them out.

Ohio State also had one of the most impressive wins in recent memory to propel them above TCU and Baylor.

If those two things don't happen, at least one and possibly both Baylor and TCU get in. I think we'd be mistaken to add a conference title game.

Draxal

FSU going undefeated really threw a wrench in the process. Any objective observer knew they weren't one of the 4 best teams but it was impossible to leave them out.

Ohio State also had one of the most impressive wins in recent memory to propel them above TCU and Baylor.

If those two things don't happen, at least one and possibly both Baylor and TCU get in. I think we'd be mistaken to add a conference title game.

Ayup, if FSU lost in the title game and tOSU didn't destroy Wisconsin the Big 12 was close to getting 2 teams in the playoffs.

mre

You don't need a conference title game. Last year's "controversy" shouldn't have happened because your conference should have gotten behind the team with the head to head win. I can't even remember if that was TCU or Baylor at this point, but the conference should have said "here is our champion" and then let the chips fall where they may. Instead, the rest of the world saw the Big 12 as not having a champion, which is ridiculous.

I'm not saying for sure it would have mattered and one of those teams would have gotten in, but what the Big 12 did last year was just monumentally stupid.

You don't need a conference title game. Last year's "controversy" shouldn't have happened because your conference should have gotten behind the team with the head to head win. I can't even remember if that was TCU or Baylor at this point, but the conference should have said "here is our champion" and then let the chips fall where they may. Instead, the rest of the world saw the Big 12 as not having a champion, which is ridiculous.

I'm not saying for sure it would have mattered and one of those teams would have gotten in, but what the Big 12 did last year was just monumentally stupid.

Looking back, I don't know if selecting "One True Champion" would have made a difference. The Big 12 conference as a whole was a stronger conference than the B1G and ACC ( regular season ), but FSU was undefeated so they couldn't be left out. 1 loss SEC champion was a no brainer. They weren't going to leave out the Pac-12 champion, and Ohio State went undefeated in their weak conference, but destroyed the runner up Wisconsin in the championship game which would have made it tough for them to be left out. 4 teams, 5 conferences, so at least one conference will lack a representative every year. Last year I think the Big 12 winner would have been left out either way. We'll never know for sure though.

KingGondo

Banned

The "One True Champion" controversy was overblown.

Even if we had thrown a ticker-tape parade for Baylor in Times Square it wouldn't have mattered. The four teams that got in had very convincing cases for various reasons. I was fine with the playoff four even though I firmly believed that TCU was one of the best 4 teams.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back, I don't know if selecting "One True Champion" would have made a difference. The Big 12 conference as a whole was a stronger conference than the B1G and ACC ( regular season ), but FSU was undefeated so they couldn't be left out. 1 loss SEC champion was a no brainer. They weren't going to leave out the Pac-12 champion, and Ohio State went undefeated in their weak conference, but destroyed the runner up Wisconsin in the championship game which would have made it tough for them to be left out. 4 teams, 5 conferences, so at least one conference will lack a representative every year. Last year I think the Big 12 winner would have been left out either way. We'll never know for sure though.

Even if we had thrown a ticker-tape parade for Baylor in Times Square it wouldn't have mattered. The four teams that got in had very convincing cases for various reasons. I was fine with the playoff four even though I firmly believed that TCU was one of the best 4 teams.
At the very least, even if Baylor would still have ended up left out I wouldn't say that their schedule had "zero effect." The conversation in the playoff committee room could have been "are we going to put in Ohio State or Baylor?" instead of what we got which was more likely along the lines of "thank God Ohio State blew out Wisconsin so we don't have to reward Baylor for scheduling Northwestern State." 59-0 allowed the committee to dodge a "Florida State Lite" situation in which none of them truly wanted Baylor to get in but they ended up being forced into it.

Baylor trailed TCU in the rankings in every single playoff poll of the regular season, but if you gave them a Minnesota equivalent they may have never even trailed them for a single week. Baylor looks a lot better in that scenario than they did in the scenario that we actually received. Co-champions controversy never exists if Big XII brass isn't scared that Baylor's non-con would keep them out.

mre

I don't think so. As I said above, I don't know if it would have impacted the final four (and I tend to agree with you that it didn't), but it certainly was a PR misstep that has harmed the league's stock, so to speak.

My mind still boggles at how you can run an ad campaign centered around choosing "One True Champion" and then... nope, co-champions. The fuck?

Except for us. According to ksharp.

(Sorry, I'm still endlessly amused by all of that.)

andycapps

Ohio State continues to have the worst loss of any champion going back to 1836, though. Speaking of which, is it still planned for the championship rings to feature an asterisk?
Speaking of rings, GA Tech is touting that they're "State Champs" on their rings from last year. I wish the lol smiley was still a thing just for that.

Etz5Dlkh.jpg

Draxal

Yeah, I thought TCU was better than Baylor and FSU and deserved to be in, but FSU didn't lose until the playoffs so it was impossible for them not to get in.

Speaking of rings, GA Tech is touting that they're "State Champs" on their rings from last year. I wish the lol smiley was still a thing just for that.
How is this any different than all those things you guys painted "we run this state" on? If you guys ever get rings for anything again then you might do the same.

andycapps

How is this any different than all those things you guys painted "we run this state" on? If you guys ever get rings for anything again then you might do the same.

A whiteboard and bowl rings are not the same thing? We don't usually celebrate beating Tech. It's usually taken for granted, but I do think that us losing this past year was good for the players and parts of the fanbase to take the game a bit more seriously.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A whiteboard and bowl rings are not the same thing? We don't usually celebrate beating Tech. It's usually taken for granted, but I do think that us losing this past year was good for the players and parts of the fanbase to take the game a bit more seriously.

I call bullshit. As someone on the losing end most years even when we should be losing on paper I still get a ton of shit about UGA winning from Dawg fans.

Its been that way for decades aka my whole life around these parts.

andycapps

I call bullshit. As someone on the losing end most years even when we should be losing on paper I still get a ton of shit about UGA winning from Dawg fans.

Its been that way for decades aka my whole life around these parts.
You're going to get shit because it's an instate rivalry and it has importance. But this year, the Bama game is much more important to me, Auburn is more important, Florida is more important, and South Carolina is as well.

Also, as a Tech fan you probably won't understand this, but for us, it's a game you really don't want to lose because you have to hear from Tech fans about it all year. But if you win, nobody outside of the state really cares. It's not a very important rivalry game these days. Which goes back to what I said before about how I think in some ways it was good that Tech won last year. A one-sided rivalry can't be called a rivalry for long. I discussed it with a coworker who's an tOSU fan the other day and they're feeling the same way about Michigan these days. When it's one-sided, it's not as exciting.

Saban, Slive, and new Commish to be, Sankey weigh in on satellite camps. Seems like these will have a limited life.

The Southeastern Conference currently doesn’t allow its teams to hold such camps.

“I certainly think that we need to address this if it’s going to be a competitive disadvantage, and other people are going to have these kinds of camps,” Saban said Tuesday during his Crimson Caravan stop in Huntsville. “I think it’s something that we’ll probably address as a conference. I think it’s something we should look at from an NCAA standpoint because I think it’s best to have a rule where if people come to your campus, they can come to your camp.”

According to NCAA bylaws, a football program is allowed to host campus either on their campus, inside their state or within a 50-mile radius of campus if it happens to be out-of-state. But there is a loophole that states coaches may “guest coach” or work another school’s camps to get outside of that 50-mile radius.

During a meeting with reporters on Monday during the Associate Press Sports Editors’ Southeast Region meeting in Birmingham, incoming SEC commissioner Greg Sankey spoke out against the camps.

“Ironically, when we’re talking about satellite camps — as we remember camps, they were instructional and development opportunities,” Sankey said, according to al.com. ‘Now, what we’re talking about is recruiting tours. So, let’s just be clear about what we’re really talking about here.”

During that same meeting, current SEC commissioner Mike Slive joked, “We’re going to have a camp at Penn State.”

The satellite camps will more than likely be a big topic of discussion during the SEC’s spring meetings in Destin, Fla. next month.

“If we’re all going to travel all over the country to have satellite camps, how ridiculous is that?” Saban said. “I mean, we’re not even allowed to go to All-star games. But now we’re going to have satellite camps all over the country? So it doesn’t really make sense.”

Huh? You guys made a twitter handle for it and put it on several things. Including your equipment truck which your team was dumb enough to get stuck in the tunnels at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

BaP6z3pIQAAdzP_.jpg

mre

Huh? You guys made a twitter handle for it and put it on several things. Including your equipment truck which your team was dumb enough to get stuck in the tunnels at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

BaP6z3pIQAAdzP_.jpg
Good thing they went with @WeRunThisState instead of @WRTS or they'd be paying that Dylan Mack kid some coin.

andycapps

BaP6z3pIQAAdzP_.jpg

UGA cares just as much as always. Some fans might want to act like they don't, but all actions say other wise.

Okay. I'll let you guys keep telling me how much I care about it. It really does embarrass me that some random semi-truck driver couldn't navigate the tunnels at Bobby Dodd.

Speaking of games I care about, what do Bama fans think about the UGA game this year? It's definitely the one I have circled on my calendar. I see it being a pivotal game for our season, and if we lose, I could easily see it taking the wind out of our sails and us start 5-2. That said, I feel pretty good about it given the way our defense played last year and with 4 OL returning and Nick Chubb running the ball.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Who cares who runs Georgia? There are two teams. And neither has been relevant in decades.

Might as well argue over who runs Washington.

Okay. I'll let you guys keep telling me how much I care about it.

Speaking of games I care about, what do Bama fans think about the UGA game this year? It's definitely the one I have circled on my calendar. I see it being a pivotal game for our season, and if we lose, I could easily see it taking the wind out of our sails and us start 5-2. That said, I feel pretty good about it given the way our defense played last year and with 4 OL returning and Nick Chubb running the ball.
Nobody needs to tell you how much you care about us. You have taken three different unprovoked jabs at us in the last two pages and it's not even football season. You have always been quick to post anything that is even slightly negative about GT. Thats a bit strange coming from someone who supposedly doesn't care about us at all.

andycapps

Who cares who runs Georgia? There are two teams. And neither has been relevant in decades.

Might as well argue over who runs Washington.

It's important for recruiting in the state. Being the #4 state for recruits in the country, it's an important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom