• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
I feel the same way about the Clemson/Georgia rivalry. Don't get me wrong, I hate Georgia. But I don't hate them like old Clemson fans hate Georgia.

Not playing that often tends to do that to a rivalry.

"Experts" (Athlon) pick best SEC towns. 1-3 are no surprise, neither is 14.

Here are the final results, ranked 1-14:

1. Nashville, Tennessee (Vanderbilt Commodores)
2. Athens, Georgia (Georgia Bulldogs)
3. Oxford, Mississippi (Ole Miss Rebels)
4. Knoxville, Tennessee (Tennessee Volunteers)
5. Baton Rouge, Louisiana (LSU Tigers)
6. Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Alabama Crimson Tide)
7. Auburn, Alabama (Auburn Tigers)
8. Columbia, Missouri (Missouri Tigers)
9. Lexington, Kentucky (Kentucky Wildcats)
10. College Station, Texas (Texas A&M Aggies)
11. Gainesville, Florida (Florida Gators)
12. Fayetteville, Arkansas (Arkansas Razorbacks)
13. Columbia, South Carolina (South Carolina Gamecocks)
14. Starkville, Mississippi (Mississippi State Bulldogs)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bear hated UAB.

Bear hated Gene Bartow, or vice versa, or both.

Think you're less likely to be killed by runaway corn dog trucks in Tuscaloosa, so I can't see why it's behind Baton Rouge, home to the prestigious "Most Likely to be killed by Corn Dogs" Award.

I love continuing to kick Kiffikens down, but come on, no one can field a good team with 5 scholarships a year. I can't be the only one to remember that USCw had sanctions, right?

cdyhybrid

Bear hated Gene Bartow, or vice versa, or both.

Think you're less likely to be killed by runaway corn dog trucks in Tuscaloosa, so I can't see why it's behind Baton Rouge, home to the prestigious "Most Likely to be killed by Corn Dogs" Award.

I love continuing to kick Kiffikens down, but come on, no one can field a good team with 5 scholarships a year. I can't be the only one to remember that USCw had sanctions, right?

Scholarships definitely hurt, but Kiffin could also have done better. It's a bit of both.

Nike's fixation with bronze notwithstanding, I like the new alts.

u52mu7M.jpg

kDe3OE8.jpg

k5CSRBZ.jpg

n7x6cLP.jpg

OLAsr9Y.jpg

andycapps

I'll grant that Nashville is a great city and I love it there, but I don't know if I'd call it the best college town in the SEC simply because hardly anyone there cares about Vanderbilt. And to have a great college town, you have to have great football atmosphere. It doesn't have that.

Those Michigan State uniforms are pretty good. Only thing I dislike is the bronze helmets.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
If the program made money, I'm really struggling to figure out the motive to shut down the program. Was the U of Alabama system trying to kill UAB school pride hoping they would transition their football fandom to the flagship crimson tide? Most of them already do that anyway, but UAB was a program those students could call their own

Bear hated UAB.
Bear Jr. is a small person who took his dad's hatred of UAB to ridiculous lengths.

Edit: SEC SEC SEC guys: got to meet Dick Burleson today. Awesome, awesome guy.

I feel like GT football is comparable to UGA basketball, though we've never had any success there. It's hard to get kids to come to our program when there is no history and fan support is somewhere in the range of meh to average. But, fans start to care the more success we get, but hard to get past a certain level when our recruiting is so poor. Though I did see that we have one top 100 player signed, and another that's just outside of the top 100. So that's something for us.

It would be really cool if GT started to take football more seriously, but I don't see that changing while Paul Johnson is there. His recruiting philosophy is pretty unrealistic/arrogant when dealing with the highschool kids that they can actually get there. I know they've pulled offers to kids that were committed but took a visit somewhere else. That's just part of the recruiting business and he should stop being childish with that.

Also, they're just not going to be a football powerhouse when they can't get good recruits, and they can't get good recruits if they're running his system. Kids aren't interested in it. Though they do seem to always get some ridiculous receiver that goes there for some reason.

That doesn't mean they can't have some pretty good seasons like this last one. For one, their division sucks. For another, he runs the triple option as well as anyone, so for what it is, it can be pretty hard for most teams to prepare for since it's so rare.
It has nothing to do with CPJ. The only reason he was hired is because our AD knew we would never recruit well and felt his system would give us a chance at competing. He was right. CPJ is nearly a perfect fit at GT for those reasons. Recruiting is about the same under CPJ as it was under previous coaches, only now we are being smart enough to not try playing the same game with inferior talent. It was one of the few good moves Dan Radakovich made in his tenure at Tech.

The biggest problem lies with the administration and faculty of the institute who wouldn't really give a rats ass if the football team were disbanded completely. When our former athletic director said that GT would never be a program that could consistently win 10 games, he said it for a reason and as much as it annoyed Tech fans at the time, he was probably right.

GT has won the ACC Coastal Division four times since 2006, and won the ACCCG in 2009 (despite forfeiting the game later), correct?

Fine, they are not a fixture in the top 10, and the fan attendance blows. To say they are an afterthought seems a bit of a harsh assessment, though.
When I said afterthought, I meant in the culture of the institute, not so much on a national scale. The football program used to be a big deal at GT. It's not so much anymore.

I mean, it's potentially a strong division if Miami, VT and Pitt get back to being good. But right now it's among the worst in CFB.
It's not great but 6 of its 7 teams made bowl games and it beat three top 10 teams out of conference including the eventual National Champions on their home field. It's not quite the train wreck it's made out to be. It was probably stronger than the SEC east last year.

andycapps

It has nothing to do with CPJ. The only reason he was hired is because our AD knew we would never recruit well and felt his system would give us a chance at competing. He was right. CPJ is nearly a perfect fit at GT for those reasons. Recruiting is about the same under CPJ as it was under previous coaches, only now we are being smart enough to not try playing the same game with inferior talent. It was one of the few good moves Dan Radakovich made in his tenure at Tech.

The biggest problem lies with the administration and faculty of the institute who wouldn't really give a rats ass if the football team were disbanded completely. When our former athletic director said that GT would never be a program that could consistently win 10 games, he said it for a reason and as much as it annoyed Tech fans at the time, he was probably right.

That's a good point, I guess it makes more sense for the administration to start putting more effort into it and creating more awareness in combo with eventually getting a new coach.

While I don't think it happens as much anymore, Michigan fans pre-Dantonio loved saying how we weren't their rival,. Now they have a countdown clock to the MSU game.

Well how does the rivalry feel when you've won 6 of 7? From 1970-2007 the series record was 30-8; UM fans basically felt perpetually how you feel now.

And "not a rivial" was/is clearly shit-talk; the sentiment I recall from UM was that MSU is their #3 rival, which they were and still would be if the ND series didn't get canned.

JCX

Well how does the rivalry feel when you've won 6 of 7? From 1970-2007 the series record was 30-8; UM fans basically felt perpetually how you feel now.

And "not a rivial" was/is clearly shit-talk; the sentiment I recall from UM was that MSU is their #3 rival, which they were and still would be if the ND series didn't get canned.

I've still felt it's a rivalry every year, even in recent games. It's about more than just the record. The beautiful thing about CFB rivalries is how territorial they can be, they go beyond just the field since so many rival schools and/or their fans are in close proximity, MSU/UM being two of the geographically close rivals. USC/UCLA is the only closer one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

edit: I like the new alts more than the old ones.

cdyhybrid

I've still felt it's a rivalry every year, even in recent games. It's about more than just the record. The beautiful thing about CFB rivalries is how territorial they can be, they go beyond just the field since so many rival schools and/or their fans are in close proximity, MSU/UM being two of the geographically close rivals. USC/UCLA is the only closer one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

edit: I like the new alts more than the old ones.

Duke/UNC.

Draxal

The Power of OSU, im sure your season tickets sold much more this year than in past years too

Our season ticket prices were the same, the NYC area just has much more PSU/UM alum than it has OSU/MSU alum (who gets primetime BTN against us the following week) and that drove the prices high last year.

The thing about this OSU game is that it has much more interest to a casual fan of football than UM/PSU/MSU does, as NYC is an event town more than anything else.

Just looking at my section 210 for OSU;170 for MSU;120 for Nebraska; 50 for Kansas.

Piggus

Winning the first ever playoff game 59 to 20 and setting a Rose Bowl record against a team that was 29 and 0 is apparently losing. Stay bitter, Purple Cheetah. :3

The NCAA has placed Oklahoma State on probation for one year after finding the school did not follow its drug testing policy and allowed its all-female Orange Pride student group to engage in impermissible hosting activities during football prospects' official and unofficial visits.

Looks like the NCAA is finally cracking down on football recruiting's worst kept secret.

Lonestar

So adding all these playoff games just lead to Footballs version of an Attendance trophy. Wonderful.

TomShoe

Banned
Virginia Tech spring game right now. I'm in box seats since I have connections :^)

tmt6OWc.jpg

Also got to meet Bruce Smith of the Buffalo Bills.

Draxal

Looks like you could have your pick of seats. Have fun, wish I was watching some football today.

Weather's been brutal in the ne (I'm assuming in Ohio as well); i'm still grumpy that we had our spring game against subway series and a rangers playoff game.

Weather's been brutal in the ne (I'm assuming in Ohio as well); i'm still grumpy that we had our spring game against subway series and a rangers playoff game.

Luckily I drove all the way to cincy for the Reds game today and now we're 3.5 hours passed first pitch still waiting. Think I'm going to bail and head back home

Kansas will be fine at QB. They have a 6'5" 3* QB that will be on campus in a couple of months. They took 2 QB's in the 2015 class overall.

It's probably only a hair worse than our QB situation at Texas. Charlie Strong is still fully behind Tyrone Swoopes as our starter :(

andycapps

The Pruitt effect:

Interesting tidbit: No defense saw bigger yd/comp decline from 13-14 than #FSU. Only 2 P5 teams had bigger improvement than #UGA. #Pruitt

— David Hale (@DavidHaleESPN) April 27, 2015

Lonestar

Expert Harbaugh trolling

I knew already that it wasn't Harbaugh pulling the rug, the SEC outright says "no, we have a by-rule that says you can't hold camps further than 50 miles away from campus" and they re-clarified it.

Tom VanHaaren @TomVH · 3h 3 hours ago
Last tweet, SEC coaches were notified by the SEC they aren't able to attend Michigan's camp

andycapps

I knew already that it wasn't Harbaugh pulling the rug, the SEC outright says "no, we have a by-rule that says you can't hold camps further than 50 miles away from campus" and they re-clarified it.
I should have read his next tweet I guess. It was still an empty gesture because he knows the conference rules prohibit schools from joining these camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom