• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
A whiteboard and bowl rings are not the same thing? We don't usually celebrate beating Tech. It's usually taken for granted, but I do think that us losing this past year was good for the players and parts of the fanbase to take the game a bit more seriously.

Huh? You guys made a twitter handle for it and put it on several things. Including your equipment truck which your team was dumb enough to get stuck in the tunnels at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

BaP6z3pIQAAdzP_.jpg

The Twitter handle. Come on, andycapps, you have to admit, that's a point for yellowjacket. and that might be his first one ever. You have to give him that. Be fair!

Jameis is set to turn a shoplifting case into an impermissible benefits case

Former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, who is projected to be the first overall selection in the NFL draft, said during an appearance on ESPN's Draft Academy that he never stole crab legs last year and that they instead were given to him by a grocery store employee.

The former Heisman Trophy winner was issued a civil citation for shoplifting on April 29, 2014, after he walked out of a Tallahassee, Florida, supermarket without paying for $32 worth of crab legs and crawfish.

"How I'm supposed to handle, like, if I just got them for free? I just say, 'I just messed up?'" Winston asked Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh during ESPN's Draft Academy, which aired Tuesday night but was taped before the NFL scouting combine in February.

When asked by Harbaugh to elaborate on the incident, Winston said it wasn't the first time he had gotten free food from an individual working at that store.

"Well, a week before, it was my buddy's birthday and we had got a cake. And we met a dude that worked inside Publix and he said, 'Hey, anytime you come in here, I got you.' So that day we just walked out and he hooked us up with that," Winston said.

"And when I came in to get crab legs, I did the same thing and he just gave them to me and I walked out. And someone from inside the store had told the security that I didn't pay for them. And that's how the whole thing started."

Asked during the ACC spring teleconference Wednesday about Winston's comments, FSU coach Jimbo Fisher said "it was totally news to me" and that the Seminoles' compliance department was looking into the matter.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Okay. I'll let you guys keep telling me how much I care about it. It really does embarrass me that some random semi-truck driver couldn't navigate the tunnels at Bobby Dodd.

Speaking of games I care about, what do Bama fans think about the UGA game this year? It's definitely the one I have circled on my calendar. I see it being a pivotal game for our season, and if we lose, I could easily see it taking the wind out of our sails and us start 5-2. That said, I feel pretty good about it given the way our defense played last year and with 4 OL returning and Nick Chubb running the ball.

This year, more than most, just along for the ride to see what kind of team this is. Lost too many offensive players (both to draft and now injury) to really believe it's a championship caliber team.

I mean, they lost 90% of the WR core (100% if you count the other 2 WR's lost to the draft).

Lost RB's in Yeldon and Fowler (and Tenpenny (transfer), T. Jones (dismissed) and Bo Scarborough (knee)). Leaving Henry and Drake and...?

Maybe Kelly (C) and Robinson (LT) are enough returning pieces on the OLine to make a difference. Maybe new blood will be better than the 3 players lost on the line.

Finally, who knows how to play quarterback?

So, long story short, besides the obvious games (Auburn, LSU, 10RC), the other games are just days on the schedule, with no expectations. Put basically, I'd rather win against Wisconsin than UGA, just to not have to deal with anymore quality B1G 14 conversations.

Who cares who runs Georgia? There are two teams. And neither has been relevant in decades.

Might as well argue over who runs Washington.

Many teams have recently ran the state of Georgia. I know Alabama did a year or 2. FSU, Florida, Auburn. Probably others. The state is one of those states that it's super important to try and lock down, but impossible to do, like Florida, Texas and California.

Lol, Crab Legs just won't go away. Maybe it's time for the NCAA to bring out the Hammer again.

andycapps

This year, more than most, just along for the ride to see what kind of team this is. Lost too many offensive players (both to draft and now injury) to really believe it's a championship caliber team.

I mean, they lost 90% of the WR core (100% if you count the other 2 WR's lost to the draft).

Lost RB's in Yeldon and Fowler (and Tenpenny (transfer), T. Jones (dismissed) and Bo Scarborough (knee)). Leaving Henry and Drake and...?

Maybe Kelly (C) and Robinson (LT) are enough returning pieces on the OLine to make a difference. Maybe new blood will be better than the 3 players lost on the line.

Finally, who knows how to play quarterback?

So, long story short, besides the obvious games (Auburn, LSU, 10RC), the other games are just days on the schedule, with no expectations. Put basically, I'd rather win against Wisconsin than UGA, just to not have to deal with anymore quality B1G 14 conversations.

I can understand this not being the biggest game for Bama. It's big for us given it's a barometer for where we are as a program. The 2008 blackout game against Bama was a turning point for UGA, and I'd say a turning point for Bama in a lot of ways. For Bama it was the upswing, and for UGA it was a dark period for Richt and one he was lucky to weather. So this being a barometer is about seeing if we are on the upswing or on our way to another 10-3 or 11-2 season in the Capital One while others play in the playoffs.

Many, including myself, thought for years that our administration hadn't given Richt everything he needed to do what he needed to win. Those limitations seem to have been mostly removed and we seem to be on the right track. We're still not at the point where Bama is where Richt can ask for whatever he wants and it'll be done.

For me, it's also potential payback for the 2012 SECCG. It's the first opportunity to Pruitt to face off against Saban, and for all the other ex-Bama people now on staff at UGA to do so as well.

On your previous points, Bama definitely lost a lot so there's a lot of uncertainties. I think they're still going to be one of the favorites to win the west.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So right now Duke has top 10 recruiting classes in bball AND football per 247 and Scout. I know the football ranking won't last because we haven't had a lot of 20+ player classes, but we're getting a few more 4 stars.

We'll see how many stick for signing day tho

So right now Duke has top 10 recruiting classes in bball AND football per 247 and Scout. I know the football ranking won't last because we haven't had a lot of 20+ player classes, but we're getting a few more 4 stars.

We'll see how many stick for signing day tho

David Cutcliffe putting in that work.

Real talk, Cutcliffe might have messed up and raised the bar at Duke for football. I don't know if the next guy can get away with perennial 3-9, 4-8 seasons. Ten years ago, those were the good years!

David Cutcliffe putting in that work.

Real talk, Cutcliffe might have messed up and raised the bar at Duke for football. I don't know if the next guy can get away with perennial 3-9, 4-8 seasons. Ten years ago, those were the good years!

They're also lucky that they get to play in the coastal, which is a dumpster fire. It's a good time to be a good coach at Duke.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I love it when fans of one school pretend they don't care about one of their rivalries. Because making a big deal out of not caring makes it pretty obvious you do care, and are just saying you don't to piss off the rival fanbase.

I mean sure, it's clever I guess, and probably works to annoy people. But it's also kinda dumb.

Fuck you Jeff Fisher, Jags are the Titans rivals and you can deal with it. Jerk face.

We supposedly have a rivalry with NC state. I honestly don't care because they're awful and I'm pretty sure we've beaten them 9 out of the past 10 years.

Enron

Banned
i dunno about andy or the students nowadays, but me and my friends? We still love it when we beat Tech. Fuck the gnats. I still remember '98 and '99. Fuck Joe Hamilton, Jasper Sanks didn't fumble, AND QUINCY WAS IN

Edit: Oh hey, yellowjacket25 is unbanned! Welcome back buddy! Reposting this just in case you missed it

Edit Edit: Whoops, you already saw it! No need to keep kicking you while you are down!

andycapps

i dunno about andy or the students nowadays, but me and my friends? We still love it when we beat Tech. Fuck the gnats. I still remember '98 and '99. Fuck Joe Hamilton, Jasper Sanks didn't fumble, AND QUINCY WAS IN

Edit: Oh hey, yellowjacket25 is unbanned! Welcome back buddy! Reposting this just in case you missed it

Edit Edit: Whoops, you already saw it! No need to keep kicking you while you are down!

Ha yup. I haven't been a student in years, and I still love it when we beat Tech. I'm just saying in the scheme of the rivalries we have, they're not #1.They're probably #3 after Florida and Auburn.

cdyhybrid

Even Clemson FSU feels like a super new rivalry that has only really developed in the last decade.

I feel like that's a different type of rivalry though. There are the "we're going to play each other for the conference championship every season" rivalries and the "we have a long history of hating each other due to various on- and off-field shenanigans" rivalries.

lol. I was only banned for a week. I just haven't posted all that much since then. Im sure you wanted to kick me for the spring game, and yeah it is what it is. I may have been a little harsh on our fan base earlier but we certainly don't have a fan base that will attend a Friday Night spring game in the rain with half of the players not playing. We just simply are not that hardcore about it.

andycapps

I feel like that's a different type of rivalry though. There are the "we're going to play each other for the conference championship every season" rivalries and the "we have a long history of hating each other due to various on- and off-field shenanigans" rivalries.

Ours with Tech goes back to when they were in the SEC and were a lot more competitive than they are now. The old timers at UGA legitimately still hate GA Tech. Being in different conferences and the series not being what it once was has made it so today's students don't put the Tech series as the #1 rivalry.

lol. I was only banned for a week. I just haven't posted all that much since then. Im sure you wanted to kick me for the spring game, and yeah it is what it is. I may have been a little harsh on our fan base earlier but we certainly don't have a fan base that will attend a Friday Night spring game in the rain with half of the players not playing. We just simply are not that hardcore about it.

Hope you and Vanillalite don't take me too seriously, it's all in good fun.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Even Clemson FSU feels like a super new rivalry that has only really developed in the last decade.

That one was simply about head coaches that aren't even at the schools anymore. Maybe now it's a bit more about "we're the only 2 schools who care enough to win this god forsaken conference."

Clemson was basically the big dog in the 8-team ACC in football before Florida State arrived. It was kind of bad timing that Clemson fell off a bit when the Seminoles got here, but that's the way it worked out. But prior to that, Clemson would be battling teams like Virginia and NC State for the conference championship every year, so that's where those rivalries are rooted -- in the competition of the legacy ACC when everybody played everybody and got on each other's nerves. Now? "We'll see y'all in 5 or 6 years or whenever."

Ours with Tech goes back to when they were in the SEC and were a lot more competitive than they are now. The old timers at UGA legitimately still hate GA Tech. Being in different conferences and the series not being what it once was has made it so today's students don't put the Tech series as the #1 rivalry.

I feel the same way about the Clemson/Georgia rivalry. Don't get me wrong, I hate Georgia. But I don't hate them like old Clemson fans hate Georgia.

As a proud alum of LMU my hatred for Pepperdine knows no bounds!

As a proud alum of UNCG, I hate whomever is still in the Southern Conference. I'm not sure who is. Of course, UNCG doesn't play football, so it doesn't matter in the context of this thread. Not like Rutgers doesn't play football, but they don't actually field a team. OK, so not like Rutgers doesn't actually field a team, but I mean actually for real.

It certainly isn't what it used to be on either side. GT has changed a lot since the 50's. Football was part of the face of the Institute back then. It is at most an afterthought these days. I can't blame you guys for not taking GT all that seriously when our own school doesn't really take football all that seriously. Personally, I'm surprised we have remained as competitive as we have.

Jhriad

This doesn't make any sense:

The cost to attend these football camps is born by the players, right? As far as I'm aware there's not provision for allowing schools to "scholarship" players to attend their summer camps. Plus, the kids have to actually get to the camps. So in cases where (1) the parents can't afford the cost of the camps and/or (2) have to work and can't actually take their kids to the camp, then only having camps on campus would become prohibitively more expensive the further one is removed from the university. This would therefore increase the likelihood that some sort of middleman is introduced into the equation who has both the resources and time to take the kids to the camps.

Getting rid of coaches ability to work at these camps would compound the effect the proposed early signing period would have on recruiting for geographically disadvantaged schools. An early signing period without earlier official visits exacerbates the financial burden on the recruit since they're almost certainly going to receive extra pressure to sign by the early signing day instead of the old one and most families don't have the money to send their kids to half a dozen to a dozen schools to make sure they find the right place for them. In other words; Get fucked, Urban.

andycapps

I feel the same way about the Clemson/Georgia rivalry. Don't get me wrong, I hate Georgia. But I don't hate them like old Clemson fans hate Georgia.

Yeah that used to be a pretty intense rivalry as well until conference scheduling increased and we had to cut the annual game. We historically have more of a rivalry with Clemson than we do with Tennessee and South Carolina just passed it in number of games 3 years ago.

I don't hate Clemson. I enjoy that rivalry and wish the games happened more often. But if you talked to someone in their 50's or older, they hate Clemson.

It certainly isn't what it used to be on either side. GT has changed a lot since the 50's. Football was part of the face of the Institute back then. It is at most an afterthought these days. I can't blame you guys for not taking GT all that seriously when our own school doesn't really take football all that seriously. Personally, I'm surprised we have remained as competitive as we have.

I feel like GT football is comparable to UGA basketball, though we've never had any success there. It's hard to get kids to come to our program when there is no history and fan support is somewhere in the range of meh to average. But, fans start to care the more success we get, but hard to get past a certain level when our recruiting is so poor. Though I did see that we have one top 100 player signed, and another that's just outside of the top 100. So that's something for us.

It would be really cool if GT started to take football more seriously, but I don't see that changing while Paul Johnson is there. His recruiting philosophy is pretty unrealistic/arrogant when dealing with the highschool kids that they can actually get there. I know they've pulled offers to kids that were committed but took a visit somewhere else. That's just part of the recruiting business and he should stop being childish with that.

Also, they're just not going to be a football powerhouse when they can't get good recruits, and they can't get good recruits if they're running his system. Kids aren't interested in it. Though they do seem to always get some ridiculous receiver that goes there for some reason.

That doesn't mean they can't have some pretty good seasons like this last one. For one, their division sucks. For another, he runs the triple option as well as anyone, so for what it is, it can be pretty hard for most teams to prepare for since it's so rare.

Limedust

GT has won the ACC Coastal Division four times since 2006, and won the ACCCG in 2009 (despite forfeiting the game later), correct?

Fine, they are not a fixture in the top 10, and the fan attendance blows. To say they are an afterthought seems a bit of a harsh assessment, though.

GT has won the ACC Coastal Division four times since 2006, and won the ACCCG in 2009 (despite forfeiting the game later), correct?

Fine, they are not a fixture in the top 10, and the fan attendance blows. To say they are an afterthought seems a bit of a harsh assessment, though.

Winning the coastal is like winning C-USA. Which I'm sure is also an afterthought.

JCX

While I don't think it happens as much anymore, Michigan fans pre-Dantonio loved saying how we weren't their rival,. Now they have a countdown clock to the MSU game.

andycapps

The ACC Coastal is as follows:

Georgia Tech
Duke
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Miami (FL)
Virginia

Wow, thanks
O
bama.

JCX said:
While I don't think it happens as much anymore, Michigan fans pre-Dantonio loved saying how we weren't their rival,. Now they have a countdown clock to the MSU game.

And what changed the mentality of Michigan fans?

KingGondo

Banned
I mean, it's potentially a strong division if Miami, VT and Pitt get back to being good. But right now it's among the worst in CFB.

Draxal

I mean, it's potentially a strong division if Miami, VT and Pitt get back to being good. But right now it's among the worst in CFB.

Miami sucking is kililng the coastal, VPI is underperforming but Miami was always supposed to be highlight of that division and why the old Big East is dead. And of the b5 you are right in that it's the worst.

If the program made money, I'm really struggling to figure out the motive to shut down the program. Was the U of Alabama system trying to kill UAB school pride hoping they would transition their football fandom to the flagship crimson tide? Most of them already do that anyway, but UAB was a program those students could call their own

andycapps

People say that about USC and look what they did under Lane Kiffin. Coaching matters, even at football factories.

It definitely matters. I'm just saying that with even an average coach, they should be competing for that division every year with the recruits that they have in Florida, much less just in Miami.

It definitely matters. I'm just saying that with even an average coach, they should be competing for that division every year with the recruits that they have in Florida, much less just in Miami.

Well it certainly seems like USC is putting that exact theory to the test by hiring to completely average coaches in Kiffin and Sarkisian. I guess we could accept that Miami's coaches have all been sub replacement level which is entirely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom