• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only imagine the sadness of the guys after the huge spike. their team just lost then theyre just sitting there in a computer chair with their pants down after shooting a load. It must be one of the saddest/loneliest things a person can experience.

Ganhyun

I know its summer. Was walking out of a Chipotle on my lunch break today and a Miss. State fan tried to run me over...

Of course, he didn't even slow down or flinch at me or the older lady he almost hit going around a corner without stopping.

Fucking Atlanta Metro Area Drivers....

I know its summer. Was walking out of a Chipotle on my lunch break today and a Miss. State fan tried to run me over...

Of course, he didn't even slow down or flinch at me or the older lady he almost hit going around a corner without stopping.

Mid-R is living in Atlanta now?

andycapps

Atlanta drivers are nuts. I could never live there, my BP would be through the roof.

I was just there this weekend. I would never drive in Atlanta. The traffic makes Orlando's near Disney blush.

The MARTA system, though, was a godsend getting around.

andycapps

I was just there this weekend. I would never drive in Atlanta. The traffic makes Orlando's near Disney blush.

Most people in Atlanta seem to hate Marta, but I think it's pretty great, though it's limited in where it goes. Seems like expansion is always held back by NIMBYism and lack of funds.

I love Marta.

P0dcdts.gif

Actually I've never been to Atlanta outside the airport. Other than the Aquarium, I've never had much desire to visit. I figure I'll eventually have a work conference there at some point, so I don't see much reason to visit on my own.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

We've moved between North Carolina and Alabama twice now (four trips) and each time I've had to drive the moving truck through Atlanta. Each time I've tried to time it so that we avoided rush hour traffic, but both times we were moving TO NC, fate fucked me in the ass.

The first time, I was driving a 24' truck, towing a fucking car, and construction in Birmingham slowed us down (2 hour delay) enough that we hit Atlanta at like 8:00 AM local time. :|

The second time, I was driving a 24' truck, not towing anything, and the fucking truck broke down just west of the middle of Atlanta in early August. Like, completely broke down. No AC, nothing. :| The moving company couldn't repair the truck, so they put me up in a hotel that was located in downtown Atlanta, and had the tow truck take me there. Yes, they had a tow truck, towing a 24' truck attempting to navigate downtown Atlanta. :| They finally ended up taking me to a hotel on the outskirts of Atlanta where they parked the truck. The next day, they sent another truck and a moving crew who had to unpack and repack the truck.

Moving fucking sucks, especially when Atlanta is involved. :|

andycapps

We've moved between North Carolina and Alabama twice now (four trips) and each time I've had to drive the moving truck through Atlanta. Each time I've tried to time it so that we avoided rush hour traffic, but both times we were moving TO NC, fate fucked me in the ass.

The first time, I was driving a 24' truck, towing a fucking car, and construction in Birmingham slowed us down (2 hour delay) enough that we hit Atlanta at like 8:00 AM local time. :|

The second time, I was driving a 24' truck, not towing anything, and the fucking truck broke down just west of the middle of Atlanta in early August. Like, completely broke down. No AC, nothing. :| The moving company couldn't repair the truck, so they put me up in a hotel that was located in downtown Atlanta, and had the tow truck take me there. Yes, they had a tow truck, towing a 24' truck attempting to navigate downtown Atlanta. :| They finally ended up taking me to a hotel on the outskirts of Atlanta where they parked the truck. The next day, they sent another truck and a moving crew who had to unpack and repack the truck.

Moving fucking sucks, especially when Atlanta is involved. :|

I avoid Atlanta when I drive down there at Christmas. We'd typically hit Atlanta at rush hour in the afternoon, and that's just a bad thing after you've already been driving for 9 hours and want to get out of the car really badly. Instead of 71 to 75 all the way to Atlanta we take 23 most of the way and eventually hit 26, then some other road, then 85 south to Commerce, then 441.

Much prefer that way.

I drive in Atlanta every day. You get used to it. I used to drive in the DC area every day as well. Traffic is pretty much normal to me. The only thing that bugs me is the uncertainty of time. It may take me 45 minutes to get home, it may take 2 hours. Its hard to plan anything.

Most people in Atlanta seem to hate Marta, but I think it's pretty great, though it's limited in where it goes. Seems like expansion is always held back by NIMBYism and lack of funds.

Yeah, it was a bit frustrating to use on the weekends as they severely limit services and it was enough to get around the city. But I can imagine the issues if you're outside of the city. Still a good start and much better than a lot of places in the US. I'd kill for something like that in Orlando.

andycapps

Yeah, it was a bit frustrating to use on the weekends as they severely limit services and it was enough to get around the city. But I can imagine the issues if you're outside of the city. Still a good start and much better than a lot of places in the US. I'd kill for something like that in Orlando.

Most complaints I've seen are regarding the people that ride MARTA not being up to snuff with your typical suburbanites. To those people I ask whether they've ridden the NY subway. MARTA is nothing compared to what you'll see on there. Public transportation is what it is, you see all types.

I rode it last summer, wasn't bad at all.

I can take a single bus for $1 to the train station and ride the train for $1.75 to get to a USC game. Dunno if I can get all the way to the Rose Bowl on the train.

cdyhybrid

Is good public transit an unfair recruiting advantage? Discuss.

Maybe this is why UW has sucked for the past 15 years.

Although the light rail station connecting the U-District to the airport is opening up soon(ish)!

$3 to go to the airport instead of a $50 cab ride or a $35 Uber.

Most complaints I've seen are regarding the people that ride MARTA not being up to snuff with your typical suburbanites. To those people I ask whether they've ridden the NY subway. MARTA is nothing compared to what you'll see on there. Public transportation is what it is, you see all types.

I rode it last summer, wasn't bad at all.

Yeah I thought I heard that come up in the discussion of the location of the new Braves ballpark and a decision not to expand MARTA there or something. Everybody mostly kept to themselves. 1 or 2 panhandlers, but nothing you wouldn't see walking around any downtown.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I stayed with a buddy 'inside the perimeter'' in Atlanta, as they say, and left early the next morning at the beginning of rush hour to get to a wedding in Richmond. It was a weekday, and we were leaving the city going north. The wall of traffic I passed coming in from the northern suburbs was astonishing.

Ole Miss had a home and home with Ga. Tech scheduled for 2017/2018 but it was moved back to the 2020s.

I'm saving up for the trip to Cal in 2017. I will use public transit to economize.

I stayed with a buddy 'inside the perimeter'' in Atlanta, as they say, and left early the next morning at the beginning of rush hour to get to a wedding in Richmond. It was a weekday, and we were leaving the city going north. The wall of traffic I passed coming in from the northern suburbs was astonishing.

Ole Miss had a home and home with Ga. Tech scheduled for 2017/2018 but it was moved back to the 2020s.

I'm saving up for the trip to Cal in 2017. I will use public transit to economize.

Taking the Greyhound from Oxford to Berkeley? Bring a Travel John

On the realignment front, the we're fine at ten teams and no way we'll expand Big XII, keeps having administrators at their schools come out talking about it basically unsolicited. A couple of weeks ago WVU, mentioned that there are active talks and discussions within the league despite the commissioner stating it was completely dead. WVU of course has been talking about it nonstop because they're on an island.

Today, the OU president David Boren mentioned it basically saying it would be nice to add a couple of teams to ensure the conference name makes sense. Also mentioned it's better to be proactive and expand while not under duress and that they missed out on UL.

Things are definitely being discussed. Of course it's a matter of finding the right two schools. Boren also mentioned that adding teams will keep the TV payout the same rather than splitting it more. The only thing that would be split is I guess bowl/CFP type money. But if more teams are bowling......

And of course talk like that gets other schools all in a tizzy... Memphis talking about pouring money into football and basketball facilities and Cinci being the clingy friend at engagements, etc.UCF, of course, are proud members of NCAA Division II.

On the realignment front, the we're fine at ten teams and no way we'll expand Big XII, keeps having administrators at their schools come out talking about it basically unsolicited. A couple of weeks ago WVU, mentioned that there are active talks and discussions within the league despite the commissioner stating it was completely dead. WVU of course has been talking about it nonstop because they're on an island.

Today, the OU president David Boren mentioned it basically saying it would be nice to add a couple of teams to ensure the conference name makes sense. Also mentioned it's better to be proactive and expand while not under duress and that they missed out on UL.

Things are definitely being discussed. Of course it's a matter of finding the right two schools. Boren also mentioned that adding teams will keep the TV payout the same rather than splitting it more. The only thing that would be split is I guess bowl/CFP type money. But if more teams are bowling......

And of course talk like that gets other schools all in a tizzy... Memphis talking about pouring money into football and basketball facilities and Cinci being the clingy friend at engagements, etc.UCF, of course, are proud members of NCAA Division II.

The Big 12 is a stubborn conference if you haven't noticed. We're still Domer Dreamin

It's the aversion to schools named after cities, but the ACC has four of them (counting Clemson even though it was named after a person) so you should join in the fun.

We consider UCF a directional school. Then again we added WEST Virginia University, so maybe there is hope.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Memphis does not belong in a P5. The university blankets the city in free tickets and can't draw over 30k on a consistent basis.

andycapps

Is good public transit an unfair recruiting advantage? Discuss.

Only if there's a Waffle House within two blocks of each stop of public transit.

GoldenEye007 said:
Yeah I thought I heard that come up in the discussion of the location of the new Braves ballpark and a decision not to expand MARTA there or something. Everybody mostly kept to themselves. 1 or 2 panhandlers, but nothing you wouldn't see walking around any downtown.

Enron could probably give a better summary of that, but the new Braves ballpark is going to be in Cobb County which is where a majority of their season ticket holders are. Cobb County is considered to be upscale-suburban. The city of Atlanta promised to Braves admin for years that they would encourage economic development around Turner Field, which has never happened. Turner Field is essentially surrounded by ghetto with nothing to do. It's not an area you want to walk around in after a game. MARTA doesn't have a stop at Turner Field, but you can take MARTA buses there from the line.

So the Braves moving to Cobb County has nothing to do with Turner Field but has everything to do with how far the stadium is from their season ticket holder base, not a good fan experience in the area, and the stadium is too big for a modern stadium. Public transportation at the new stadium seems like it's not going to be ready for opening, but sounds like they may get there eventually with Cobb County residents footing the bill.

This may actually tie back to football.. Last I heard, the city of Atlanta was trying to find someone to buy or lease Turner Field. Georgia State was thinking about having it as their football stadium.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

The most important part of what Boren said yesterday IMO is that the TV contract scales up as we add more schools, meaning that the per-school amount of money would not change at all when expanding. This is in pretty much direct conflict with what we've been told for the last few years, that being that expansion is hampered by the fact that we would have more mouths to feed from the same-sized pie. Other things like Bowl Game payouts and such wouldn't scale up, of course, but the TV contract is where the real money is.

I find it kind of hard to believe that we've been straight up lied to for 2 years about the contract scaling, though. Has to be some kind of detail we're missing here (like the above mentioned example of things like bowl payouts not scaling, for example).

Draxal

Memphis does not belong in a P5. The university blankets the city in free tickets and can't draw over 30k on a consistent basis.

Yeah, the Big 12 doesn't have any really attractive candidates, asides from Cinci, and they are only attractive in that they're a bridge to WVU.

andycapps

Why does the cardinal on the shoe look like a chicken?

True, these do like like Gamecock shoes.

I guess this is the time of year when we see Highlighter U's new uniforms and whatever other abominations other schools put out to try to get some hype.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/crime/2015/06/24/clemson-kicker-ammon-lakip-suspended-indefinitely/29209297/

Clemson University kicker Ammon Lakip has been suspended indefinitely following his arrest earlier this month, coach Dabo Swinney announced Wednesday.

Lakip was charged June 6 with driving under the influence and possession of cocaine, according to court documents. Lakip had less than a gram of cocaine inside a lip balm container, according to an arrest warrant, and is expected to appear in court on July 22.

The date of his private hearing with Swinney has not been revealed. In a release, Swinney said Lakip's status for the upcoming season "will be evaluated later this summer."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom