• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Sure, but per capita, why would he go there if he can setup a camp in metro Atlanta and get access to all that talent without having to do official visits? Though it wouldn't shock me for Saban to do a camp in Ohio just to be spiteful to the B1G.

But let's face it, does Alabama seem like they're suffering from a lack of recruiting? Nothing is going to really change here, the rich will get richer, the poor will stay poor. If a kid has offers from Bama and Indiana and attends camps for both, is the kid likely to go to Indiana? Of course not. This is going to help the higher profile teams get even better, but the lower tier schools will be happy because at least they'll get some more exposure out of it from being at the same camp as the big boys, and maybe they'll get some of the second tier talent.

Well, with Ohio it's also ND that you have to worry about with all the Catholic leagues there as well.

Satellite camps were always for the mid tier/lower tier teams, it really doesn't do anything for the Michigans of the world, but I remember they created the Schiano rule to ban Rutgers from holding camps in Florida which helped us a ton in the past.

Another Rutgers mention

Draxal

Please point out where the narrative has Ben driven by the SEC repeatedly whining about this?

They were the primary force beyond the initial ban (the Rutgers/Schiano rule); which prohibits teams from holding camps beyond 50 miles of the territory. The coaches circumevented this rule by being guests at other camps, and the primary coaches that have been complaining have been SEC coaches and it was a major point of discussion at the SEC meeting they had a month ago.

The ACC is also behind this but nobody pays attention to them.

andycapps

They were the primary force beyond the initial ban (the Rutgers/Schiano rule); which prohibits teams from holding camps beyond 50 miles of the territory. The coaches circumevented this rule by being guests at other camps, and the primary coaches that have been complaining have been SEC coaches and it was a major point of discussion at the SEC meeting they had a month ago.

Right, but ACC coaches are also upset. But really I think you're just seeing the media blow this out of proportion because they need something to talk about. The storyline now is how upset the conference supposedly is at not winning the MNC last year and now they're just being all whiny about everything. It makes for an easy story, but the reality is, the SEC commissioner might be upset that a conference school didn't win, but all the other SEC coaches and schools aren't rooting for each other. If they don't win, they don't care if the others won and it probably makes their job tougher if a rival coach does win because it's more pressure on them to do so as well.

All the SEC coaches I've seen interviewed aren't exactly thrilled that they're going to do these camps next year to keep up with the Joneses, but they're willing to do what it takes so that they're represented out there.

Right, but ACC coaches are also upset. But really I think you're just seeing the media blow this out of proportion because they need something to talk about. The storyline now is how upset the conference supposedly is at not winning the MNC last year and now they're just being all whiny about everything. It makes for an easy story, but the reality is, the SEC commissioner might be upset that a conference school didn't win, but all the other SEC coaches and schools aren't rooting for each other. If they don't win, they don't care if the others won and it probably makes their job tougher if a rival coach does win because it's more pressure on them to do so as well.

All the SEC coaches I've seen interviewed aren't exactly thrilled that they're going to do these camps next year to keep up with the Joneses, but they're willing to do what it takes so that they're represented out there.

I thought we were done with the term "MNC". Ohio State is the only D1 school with a real National Championship right now. But if you're implying that we need at least an 8 team playoff to drop the "M" out of "MNC", then I'm with you there

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

A month ago I might have understood Bert's complaint. Now it just seems like a complete nonsequitor.

A month ago I might have understood Bert's complaint. Now it just seems like a complete nonsequitor.

It's still popping up regularly in CFB media and internet discussions, and yes, it was initially driven by public whining by SEC coaches.

Have you not seen SEC fans and pundits complaining about satellite camps now that their coaches have complained about them? Because I certainly have. That initial post I made wasn't specifically referring to SEC coaches. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's still popping up regularly in CFB media and internet discussions, and yes, it was initially driven by public whining by SEC coaches.

Have you not seen SEC fans and pundits complaining about satellite camps now that their coaches have complained about them? Because I certainly have. That initial post I made wasn't specifically referring to SEC coaches. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
I have not. Are you talking about Finebaum or some other outlet, because I think the larger issue is more with listening to Finebaum (et al.) to begin with than it is with whatever his idiot callers are bitching about.
Anybody looking to get rid of an AD? We just lost ours to Oregon St.
Please fucking take Bill Battle, that CLC corporate fuck.

andycapps

I dont really see it in this thread, but its still on the ESPN college show couple times a week.

True, but what does ESPN do? They harp on things 24/7 because they want people to watch. And there is nothing else to talk about now.

Anybody looking to get rid of an AD? We just lost ours to Oregon St.

I'm pretty sure Tennessee would give you theirs. They're always making boneheaded decisions.

mre said:
I have not. Are you talking about Finebaum or some other outlet, because I think the larger issue is more with listening to Finebaum (et al.) to begin with than it is with whatever his idiot callers are bitching about.

I think they're giving him more time on the SECN this year. I hate that he and his show are becoming the de facto mouthpiece of the SEC hardcore fans. Why don't they just get a show hosted by the top posters on Tigerdroppings? It'd be more worth watching.

And really, I'll say that Finebaum isn't really the worst, he merely gives a platform to the worst people in the universe that call his show. And clearly that is a model for success because people are loving it. It is funny to listen to occasionally, but if you're listening to that to get the pulse of what's going on in the SEC I think it's filtered through some strange glasses.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So now that Texas opened the floodgates all the topic around me is will there ever be beer sales in the stadium at UGA or GT?

As I've told everyone. Idk why people are even discussing this. No way in hell the board of regents in GA ever allows this.

Draxal

So now that Texas opened the floodgates all the topic around me is will there ever be beer sales in the stadium at UGA or GT?

As I've told everyone. Idk why people are even discussing this. No way in hell the board or regents in GA ever allows this.

Man, the Texas AD just got absolutely shit on in an article recently. I think Texas is really missing Mack Brown in the handle ornery donors aspect

As I've told everyone. Idk why people are even discussing this. No way in hell the board or regents in GA ever allows this.
It's not a state issue to my knowledge. The president of the institute and a few others can approve alcohol sales for events on campus. We already give away beer in the club section. I think UGA is bound by an SEC rule that prohibits alcohol sales outside of luxury areas. I think we are rapidly approaching beer and wine being available for everyone everywhere though. Its only a matter of time.

Vanillalite

It's not a state issue to my knowledge. The president of the institute and a few others can approve alcohol sales for events on campus. We already give away beer in the club section. I think UGA is bound by an SEC rule that prohibits alcohol sales outside of luxury areas. I think we are rapidly approaching beer and wine being available for everyone everywhere though. Its only a matter of time.

In GA it's 100% a BoR hurdle. Nobody can do shit in this without BoR approval.

andycapps

I don't really see what the big deal is, honestly. In a world where everyone sneaks in flasks of Beam to the stadium anyway, why not sell it to people? Isn't the almighty dollar all the AD's care about these days? They could be selling $10 shitty Bud Lights to everyone.

But I agree, it's a BoR thing (and possibly conference thing?) and it won't change this year but I think it's a matter of time before it's legal. They do it at pro games and everyone seems mostly okay. It's not like this is going to increase drunkenness much anyway. People are already shitfaced at most games.

I don't really see what the big deal is, honestly. In a world where everyone sneaks in flasks of Beam to the stadium anyway, why not sell it to people? Isn't the almighty dollar all the AD's care about these days? They could be selling $10 shitty Bud Lights to everyone.

But I agree, it's a BoR thing (and possibly conference thing?) and it won't change this year but I think it's a matter of time before it's legal. They do it at pro games and everyone seems mostly okay. It's not like this is going to increase drunkenness much anyway. People are already shitfaced at most games.

Yes. No school in the SEC is allowed to serve alcohol in stadiums. Kinda weird for a conference to have a restriction like that but that's the way it is.

This is from the actual campus alcohol policy:

A. Georgia Tech Events

Alcohol Prior Approval Form
Organizers of Georgia Tech events on-campus where alcohol is to be served must submit an Alcohol Prior Approval Form prior to the event in order to receive approval from the Office of the President or its designees. Three individuals are authorized to approve such events:

President or designee
Provost
Executive Vice President for Administration and Finance
On-campus events with alcohol where students are invited must be approved in advance by the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee before submission to the above.

Organizers are responsible for securing prior approval and compliance with related policies (see Related Information section).
It continues in another section:
B. Alcohol On-Campus

Sale of Alcohol
The sale of alcoholic beverages on-campus is generally not permitted. Exceptions may be approved by the Office of the President where the sale is by a vendor with a proper alcohol license in accordance with state and local law.

andycapps

Yes. No school in the SEC is allowed to serve alcohol in stadiums. Kinda weird for a conference to have a restriction like that but that's the way it is.

Think about how much more money the schools would bring in with concessions. I don't know, I see this changing in the next few years. Texas is probably not the first, but they're one of the most high profile teams to start selling alcohol at their stadium, and these other programs will watch and see how much Texas makes in this next year of alcohol sales and jump on board eventually.

Think about how much more money the schools would bring in with concessions. I don't know, I see this changing in the next few years. Texas is probably not the first, but they're one of the most high profile teams to start selling alcohol at their stadium, and these other programs will watch and see how much Texas makes in this next year of alcohol sales and jump on board eventually.

I feel like the restriction of alcohol in college stadiums has misplaced puritanical reasoning. I mean sure it's a little strange selling adult beverages at games where ~75% of the players on the field are underage (21). But it's almost hypocritical because they are willfully ignoring the fact most fans were getting smashed minutes ago in the tailgates just outside the stadium, and they are still hammered while in the stadium, and lots of fans smuggle in hard liquor with ease into the stadium anyway. Alcohol and sports just go together, and taking a moral high ground to not sell alcohol in the stadiums to keep the experience pure just costs the athletics program lots of potential revenue.

Vanillalite

This is from the actual campus alcohol policy:

It continues in another section:

http://policies.gatech.edu/book/export/html/1350

All persons must comply with federal, state, and local laws and the policies of Georgia Tech and the Board of Regents governing the use, possession, manufacture, distribution, dispensation, and sale of alcoholic beverages while on the Georgia Tech campus and at Georgia Tech events either on- or off-campus.

GT or UGA for that matter can't make that change without BoR approval.

PS: The BoR own all nutz regarding anything to due with colleges in this state. They are the mother fucking college mafia board.

http://policies.gatech.edu/book/export/html/1350

GT or UGA for that matter can't make that change without BoR approval.
There is no evidence at all that they have to seek Board of Regents approval for it. Why would we have a policy that states that the president can approve alcohol sales on campus if the president really can't approve alcohol sales on campus? Keep in mind, like I already said, alcohol is served at Georgia Tech football games in the club section. So if there is a hidden BoR policy on this (which I can't find any trace of) we have already been breaking it for years. We also have other events that sell alcohol on campus. I can't find anything that states that we had to seek BoR approval for any of those events.

Are you looking for someone who is non-existent most of the time, has a poor relationship with donors, and gives head scratching contract extensions? If so then we may have the guy for you.
That.... Basically sounds like our old AD. Except I guess the donor relationship is better. Sounds like a solid start.

We seem to like ex-Tech people down here too!

Vanillalite

There is no evidence at all that they have to seek Board of Regents approval for it. Why would we have a policy that states that the president can approve alcohol sales on campus if the president really can't approve alcohol sales on campus? Keep in mind, like I already said, alcohol is served at Georgia Tech football games in the club section. So if there is a hidden BoR policy on this (which I can't find any trace of) we have already been breaking it for years. We also have other events that sell alcohol on campus. I can't find anything that states that we had to seek BoR approval for any of those events.

It's allowed in the club section as given exception, but you can't actually take your alcohol out of the club section into the outdoor stadium as it violates the current terms as its then considered "in the stadium."

I know cause that's the section I usually sit in.

It's allowed in the club section as given exception, but you can't actually take your alcohol out of the club section into the outdoor stadium as it violates the current terms as its then considered "in the stadium."

I know cause that's the section I usually sit in.
Its an exception, there just isn't any evidence of it being an exception granted by the Board of Regents. Its a common exception used by many colleges across the country at athletic events.

The only section in the BoR policy manual that references alcohol on campus is section 4.6.4. This section basically just states that the BoR recognizes and supports state and federal laws on drugs and alcohol.

ag-my001

I thought I had read somewhere that A&M was considering an expansion of what is considered a "premium" section where alcohol sales are allowed once the renovations are complete. I remember it mentioning new concession facilities located on the alumni side of the stadium.

When I went looking, I found this instead:

Gabe Bock @GabeBock

A&M chancellor Sharp on alcohol at events: "Our athletic program has not reached the point where we require the numbing effects of alcohol."

Jhriad

I thought I had read somewhere that A&M was considering an expansion of what is considered a "premium" section where alcohol sales are allowed once the renovations are complete. I remember it mentioning new concession facilities located on the alumni side of the stadium.

When I went looking, I found this instead:

Apparently he hasn't actually gone to an Aggie game in a long ass time if he thinks there aren't tons of drunk folk in the crowd.

Banning beer sales in college venues perplexes me.

All it does is encourage irresponsible drinking prior to the game and the sneaking in of hard liquor.

Just sell some goddamn beer.

AntoneM

Just wondering how Miami can go from being the most dominant program in it's hey day to being 45-42 in conference since joining the ACC (literally only tying for one 1st place conference title). Like, seriously.

I mean, USC got fucked by the NCAA over the last 7 years? (between the start of the bowl ban and the end of sanctions which started a few years after the bowl ban). And they still aren't and terrible as Miami.

andycapps

Just wondering how Miami can go from being the most dominant program in it's hey day to being 45-42 in conference since joining the ACC (literally only tying for one 1st place conference title). Like, seriously.

I mean, USC got fucked by the NCAA over the last 7 years? (between the start of the bowl ban and the end of sanctions which started a few years after the bowl ban). And they still aren't and terrible as Miami.
They were a big fish in a small pond before? And they've had some bad coaches since that time. They still get awesome recruits so the only thing I can think of is coaching at this point.

andycapps

You guys are going to be shocked, but someone actually liked Chris Simms enough to give him some money for autographs, but it was totally cool, nothing to see here.

"It was unbelievable [my comments] gained that much steam," he said. "To clarify it, it's pretty simple. Yes, did I receive a $100 handshake when I was at Texas? Yes, I did. Not once, but twice, to be honest with you.

"It was not prearranged like, 'Hey, can you come here and sign some autographs for me and I'll give you money?' No, this was outside of the University of Texas campus. This was not on campus.

"The city of Austin is full of Texas alumni. Guys I would see around, at a restaurant or whatever it would be, this just happened to be, yes, a Texas alumni at a restaurant, had a few jerseys. 'Hey Chris, can you come over and sign a few jerseys for me?' I had met him and his son before.

"And of course, yeah, I signed the jerseys -- not even worried about being paid -- and then I got a $100 handshake, and I thought it was really cool.

"But to imply that Texas had anything to do with this, that's so crazy."

AntoneM

They were a big fish in a small pond before? And they've had some bad coaches since that time. They still get awesome recruits so the only thing I can think of is coaching at this point.

So our coaches aren't overpaid after all!

Bet OT would have some insightful and enlightening comments to make on that subject.

Harbaugh has lost control of Michigan Man

CH9LgZBUEAEPGw1.jpg

Weezy Baby

LosDaddie

Banned

TV money. Seriously. And yes, some bad coaching hires.

Miami simply doesn't have the money to compete in this new era. Maybe, MAYBE a hotshot coach change things, but it's doubtful UM could afford one.

Lunar15

Perhaps they had to raise academic standards to meet ACC regulations.

bachikarn

The UM president etc doesn't give a shit about football, and I think actually doesn't like it with all their antics in previous years. They also don't have as big of an alumni base as other schools, so they aren't rolling in the money. This has led to several mediocre coaching hires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom