• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UM president etc doesn't give a shit about football, and I think actually doesn't like it with all their antics in previous years. They also don't have as big of an alumni base as other schools, so they aren't rolling in the money. This has led to several mediocre coaching hires.
I think the current president is retiring in the next year or so. But also playing in Joe Robbie can't help matters. It's basically a tomb in there. Tarps everywhere for Miami games. Probably more competition for recruits too.

Just wondering how Miami can go from being the most dominant program in it's hey day to being 45-42 in conference since joining the ACC (literally only tying for one 1st place conference title). Like, seriously.

I mean, USC got fucked by the NCAA over the last 7 years? (between the start of the bowl ban and the end of sanctions which started a few years after the bowl ban). And they still aren't and terrible as Miami.
Its coaching, plain and simple. Even during all of these down years Miami recruits better than every other team in their division, and better than everyone in the conference other than FSU and Clemson. They have had plenty of talent to field a consistently competitive team. There is really no reason for them to be as bad as they have been. They are one good coach away from being back in the national picture.

Draxal

Its coaching, plain and simple. Even during all of these down years Miami recruits better than every other team in their division, and better than everyone in the conference other than FSU and Clemson. They have had plenty of talent to field a consistently competitive team. There is really no reason for them to be as bad as they have been. They are one good coach away from being back in the national picture.

Ayup, it's 100% on Golden.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Miami has multiple hurdles. It's not a large school. It lacks a large fanbase. It's a private institution. Has had bad coaching hires. It has had shit facilities for like a decade + now. Nobody shows up for their games. It doesn't have great academics to fall back on despite being a private institution.

These days with virtually all of the big 5 conferences being on TV every week in some capacity the playing field as leveled to an extent.

While I definitely agree coaching hasn't exactly been top tier for Miami, they have a ton of other hurdles that won't ever be over come. The only thing keeping the U afloat is that it's well the U located in Miami which helps with recruiting. If this school was in another part of the country it would be deader than dead.

Ohio State expected to be double-digit favorites all regular season

LAS VEGAS -- Ohio State was an underdog in four games last season and covered the spread in all four, en route to a 14-1 season (10-5 ATS) and winning the first College Football Playoff. Don’t bother looking for those spots for the Buckeyes this season.

"Ohio State is going to be double-digit favorites in every game throughout the regular season and the Big Ten Championship game," said Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook manager Ed Salmons. "Their toughest conference game is going to be at home against Michigan State, and I'm thinking the number should be Ohio State as high as minus-16. You won't see a single-digit number on them until the playoffs start."

The same guy also said this,soooooo. Also how is this still a thing?

"The worst team in the SEC West could be the second-best team in the Big Ten – that’s how deep they go."

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/...betting-lines-national-championship-2015-2016

LAS VEGAS -- Ohio State was an underdog in four games last season and covered the spread in all four, en route to a 14-1 season (10-5 ATS) and winning the first College Football Playoff. Don’t bother looking for those spots for the Buckeyes this season.

"Ohio State is going to be double-digit favorites in every game throughout the regular season and the Big Ten Championship game," said Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook manager Ed Salmons. "Their toughest conference game is going to be at home against Michigan State, and I'm thinking the number should be Ohio State as high as minus-16. You won't see a single-digit number on them until the playoffs start."

"The worst team in the SEC West could be the second-best team in the Big Ten – that’s how deep they go."

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/...betting-lines-national-championship-2015-2016

That's probably still true. Ohio State would be favorites to win the SEC West, but they probably wouldn't be double digit favorites playing @ Alabama, @ Auburn, @ LSU. The Big 10 is very top heavy, and if you don't play @Mich St. and @ Wisconsin, the conference is a cake walk

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's probably still true. Ohio State would be favorites to win the SEC West, but they probably wouldn't be double digit favorites playing @ Alabama, @ Auburn, @ LSU. The Big 10 is very top heavy, and if you don't play @Mich St. and @ Wisconsin, the conference is a cake walk

Except Arkansas and A&M aren't better than Michigan State...

Draxal

The worst team in the BIG East beat the SEC East champ at Mizzou.

http://www.pga.com/golf-courses/quick-nine/quick-nine-americas-best-college-courses

Top 9 college golf courses.

1. MCU
2. USF
3. Purdue
4. Copycat U
5. W
6. Rutgers
7. Yale
8. Stanford
9. Clemson.

Step up ur game SEC.

Those Mississippi schools really showed they were worthy of top 5 rankings for most of the season in their bowl games.

tOSU gets Sparty at home, and doesn't play Wisconsin.

Non conference is @ VT, Hawaii, Directional School, Directional school. They should be 2 TD favorites all season.

tOSU gets Sparty at home, and doesn't play Wisconsin.

Non conference is @ VT, Hawaii, Directional School, Directional school. They should be 2 TD favorites all season.

I dont think anyones arguing against the schedule, I would agree its not the greatest. At least we're playing probably the most consistently good MAC school. I would be all for not letting Non-conf games be scheduled more than 3 years out. Va Tech was legit good when we got them on the schedule, we have Oregon/ND/TCU/Texas/Oklahoma on future schedules but they could all be shit when we play them.

andycapps

It was a joke a lot of people used back when it happened. I was like... c'mon son, this is College Football.

Oh okay, I was hoping it was a joke. On here I never know.

Well it's not surprising that they're favored by so much, Ohio State has the #42 toughest schedule in the country. I wouldn't be shocked if that comes back to bite them at the end of the year.

The worst team in the BIG East beat the SEC East champ at Mizzou.

http://www.pga.com/golf-courses/quick-nine/quick-nine-americas-best-college-courses

Top 9 college golf courses.

1. MCU
2. USF
3. Purdue
4. Copycat U
5. W
6. Rutgers
7. Yale
8. Stanford
9. Clemson.

Step up ur game SEC.

Hey, which program has the most ex-players on the PGA tour? I'll hang up an lissen. There's also this.

Also, that was a fan poll? Come on man.

inm8num2

What does Sparty need to do to get some respect, only lost 2 games and both teams were in the Playoff Championship game, and have a returning Connor Cook.

Hire Harbaugh.

I love when the Spartans fly under the radar a little bit. MD has developed one of the most stable programs of the last 5 years, and MSU does get plenty of love from the media outside of Detroit. I would love to see them go into The Shoe and come out with a W.

edit - beaten...sort of.

andycapps

Bubba Watson had a meltdown this past week in Washington, and I don't think he has had nearly as good of a year as he did in 2013. I doubt Georgia will be #1 this year unless another former bulldog carries Georgia alum in the pro $$ ranks.

You're probably right. Not many people like Bubba right now anyway, including the UGA golfers on the tour. Kevin Kisner is the top UGA grad on the tour at the moment, but he hasn't had any major wins. Chris Kirk has some major wins but he's not doing that great currently.

Even after winning the green jacket, his behavior remained frosty to outsiders. And to Bubba Watson, almost everyone is an outsider. That includes the other Georgia Bulldogs on Tour, five of whom won tournaments in 2014. Their relationship with Bubba is strained to the point of antipathy. When I asked Brian Harman if Bubba was connected to the other Georgia alums, he could only laugh.

“He’s not, man,” he said, shaking his head. “He’s just not. It’s unfortunate, because we all come from the same Georgia family. At one point, Bubba and Haacker had their differences, they just had a little bit of a falling-out.”

Harman held out hope for a true reconciliation, but Brendon Todd was less diplomatic. After he won the Byron Nelson in May, a reporter had asked him whether he received any congratulations from Bubba, and his response—Todd is as considerate and unpretentious a person as you’ll find on Tour—was uncharacteristically terse. “No, I’m not close with Bubba,” he said. “I don’t expect to hear from him.”

“Bubba’s never been friendly with the Georgia players, and none of us really have a good relationship with him,” he told me later. “I don’t know what the reason is. It definitely seems like he has his group out here and he sticks to that group and he doesn’t really socialize with other people.”

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's such bullshit that B1G teams can hold satellite camps down in SEC territory, but SEC teams can't do the same in B1G country. Utter bullshit.

You're probably right. Not many people like Bubba right now anyway, including the UGA golfers on the tour. Kevin Kisner is the top UGA grad on the tour at the moment, but he hasn't had any major wins. Chris Kirk has some major wins but he's not doing that great currently.

That's too bad. After his first green jacket win in 2012 he was a fan favorite. Then his ego started taking over I guess.

It's such bullshit that B1G teams can hold satellite camps down in SEC territory, but SEC teams can't do the same in B1G country. Utter bullshit.

satellite camps in general are total bullshit imo. Practice in your own yard. If the players want to invite a nearby school's program for some 7 on 7 then fine, but don't make an event out of it

Draxal

It's your own bylaws, Slive keeping the South down.

I'm pretty sure this is troll bait, but I feel obligated to bite after rocky topping you the last time

Just wondering how Miami can go from being the most dominant program in it's hey day to being 45-42 in conference since joining the ACC (literally only tying for one 1st place conference title). Like, seriously.

I mean, USC got fucked by the NCAA over the last 7 years? (between the start of the bowl ban and the end of sanctions which started a few years after the bowl ban). And they still aren't and terrible as Miami.

Poor coaching, bad recruiting (maybe?), better in state rivals (FSU/Florida vs Stanford/ucla), less historical relevance than USC (Miami was the Oregon of the 80s or the Florida of the 80s or whatever you want to say, they don't have decades of relevance), worse conference so lesser tv exposure.

I mean take your pick I guess.

andycapps

True, but that'll change next season.

I did see just now that the amount of Hartman Fund points needed for new season tickets at UGA went from 1001 last year to 6701 this year. I guess that's what happens when Bama plays there.

That's too bad. After his first green jacket win in 2012 he was a fan favorite. Then his ego started taking over I guess.

Yup, I was a fan too when he won the Masters the first time, and I do think his reckless style of playing is almost refreshing. But I could definitely see him being a huge douche.

Draxal

Poor coaching, bad recruiting (maybe?), better in state rivals (FSU/Florida vs Stanford/ucla), less historical relevance than USC (Miami was the Oregon of the 80s or the Florida of the 80s or whatever you want to say, they don't have decades of relevance), worse conference so lesser tv exposure.

I mean take your pick I guess.

They're recruiting isn't as strong as UFSU but it's still by far the best in their division. It's sanctions + coaching + small private that isn't rich as they used to be.

Sure is. Which is why Slive should change the SEC rules and let your programs participate in satellite camps.

mre

If u think it's unfair advantage, tell ur commish to make a CCG already and get with the program!
Fuck off, man. Everyone plays everyone in the SEC. One true champion!*

*Except when we have two.

I'm sick of B1G fans touting their satellite camps. Nobody should have them. It's bullshit, and its unfair.

It's only unfair because the rules aren't uniform across conferences.

I fail to see any negative impact caused to the "student-athletes" as a result of these camps, and it might even help them get exposure to schools in other parts of the country that might have otherwise missed them.

It's just the schools who are getting pissy and territorial over it.

mre

It's only unfair because the rules aren't unicorm across conferences.

I fail to see any negative impact caused to the "student-athletes" as a result of these camps, and it might even help them get exposure to schools in other parts of the country that might have otherwise missed them.

It's just the schools who are getting pissy and territorial over it.
Nobody wants unicorn rules. Except B1G fans.

mre

Two OSU fans have posted since my last post, and neither one of them has taken issue with my claim that the B1G wants unicorn rules.

I find that interesting. I find that plausible. And I find that this lone fact says everything you need to know about the B1G and their proposed rules to allow mythical creatures to suit up for B1G teams. But I'm sure it's just another case of the SEC bitching just to bitch, and that if they're not happy with the current rules, then they could just change their own conference rules to allow unicorns to play.

Two OSU fans have posted since my last post, and neither one of them has taken issue with my claim that the B1G wants unicorn rules.

I find that interesting. I find that plausible. And I find that this lone fact says everything you need to know about the B1G and their proposed rules to allow mythical creatures to suit up for B1G teams. But I'm sure it's just another case of the SEC bitching just to bitch, and that if they're not happy with the current rules, then they could just change their own conference rules to allow unicorns to play.

All mythical creatures run through ND, and im not talking leprechauns........
Rudy

Draxal

It was one OSU poster talking to his alt, get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom