• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Literally look like UABs uni, UAB is back a few years early guys!
You know what. The University of Alabama system has taken a lot of shit for killing UAB's football program, but I now believe that blame was wrongly placed. I bet, if you follow the money, Notre Dame was behind it. Notre Dame wanted UAB's uniforms, but the Blazers wouldn't give up their identity just because Notre Dame wanted them to. So Notre Dame did what Notre Dame does, and murdered UAB's football program. Now, who's to stop the Irish from picking the uniforms off of UAB's carcass, and slapping some shamrocks on them and calling the uniforms their own?

Jhriad

You know what. The University of Alabama system has taken a lot of shit for killing UAB's football program, but I now believe that blame was wrongly placed.

I think it's the other way around. Alabama wanted to humiliate Notre Dame yet again, so they killed the UAB program knowing those uniform designs would be pitched to Notre Dame afterward.

It's cool, and glad to have you in the thread. We've had plenty of highly ranked QB recruits, but not many 5*s. Bateman and Cornwell were quality players, just not 5*s. Cornwell seems to be in the mix to start this year. Not sure what happened to Bateman. Barnett's name is being mentioned as well for the starting position.

By the way, which team do you pull for so everyone knows whether to mock you or welcome you depending upon their respective team?

Ha i'm not American so don't support any team. I just lurk here to revel in the misery of fans of any team that's losing

KingGondo

Banned
The Saban story posted in NFL gaf is hilarious. No wonder he fled to cfb as soon as possible.
I'm glad that kind of bullshit doesn't fly in the pros anymore.

You have to be careful with that style of coaching in CFB, too.

The only way it works IMO is if your team is having incredible success. As soon as the facade of invincibility breaks the whole thing starts to fall apart.

The Saban story posted in NFL gaf is hilarious. No wonder he fled to cfb as soon as possible.

Apparently there was also an incident where the wrong Little Debbie snack cakes were provided in Saban's office cupboard and he went ballistic on the Dolphins front office. I'd love to know the details on that one-getting your stash of Oatmeal Creme Pies replaced by Banana Twins is cruelty of the worst order.

mre

Ha i'm not American so don't support any team. I just lurk here to revel in the misery of fans of any team that's losing
We have an Aussie who picked Ole Miss. You should pick a team to follow. That's a lot more fun than just rooting for everyone to lose. The schadenfreude is much more delicious when it's coming from a team you hate.

KingGondo

Banned
Apparently there was also an incident where the wrong Little Debbie snack cakes were provided in Saban's office cupboard and he went ballistic on the Dolphins front office. I'd love to know the details on that one-getting your stash of Oatmeal Creme Pies replaced by Banana Twins is cruelty of the worst order.
You see... It doesn't even matter if this is true or not.

It sounds like it *could* be true, and that's a bad reflection on Saban in and of itself.

mre

The only way it works IMO is if your team is having incredible success. As soon as the facade of invincibility breaks the whole thing starts to fall apart.
What kind of bullshit? Not wanting to participate in a lap dance?
You see... It doesn't even matter if this is true or not.

It sounds like it *could* be true, and that's a bad reflection on Saban in and of itself.
Believable that he went ballistic? No. Believable that he was upset and commented on it? Absolutely. For better or for worse, Saban is a man of routines. His days are, for the most part, meticulously planned out. He eats the same thing for breakfast. Eats the same thing for lunch (ham salad, I think I remember from another article). Eats the same snacks. His reasoning is that he doesn't want to waste time on insignificant bullshit decisions like that. That's who he is.

Saban's reputation for having a temper comes from lashing out at reporters who ask questions that he thinks are either stupid, insulting or not pertinent to what they're supposed to be there to talk to him about (Alabama football). I don't give a shit that he raises his voice or gets annoyed with the media at times. Every coach does that to some extent (see: Gundy being a man and 40) when they think the media has overstepped their bounds. Saban isn't always correct when he does this. For example, instead of yelling at the reporter, he should have taken his lumps with the whole Jonathan Taylor situation from earlier this year, and owned up to making a mistake by giving him a scholarship.

I don't think there has been a single report from Bama of Saban treating his staff with anything less than respect, and I think this is the first I've heard of any such story from Miami or LSU. So, no, I don't think that Saban has a reputation that makes this Little Debbie story credible or believable. Maybe if he was yelling at a reporter who ate his last oatmeal creme pie, but not at some secretary who mistakenly purchased the wrong snack cake for him.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Nothing in those stories is unreasonable.

Coughlin is supposed to be a traditional hard ass. Part of the reason the Jaguars fired him way back when.

KingGondo

Banned
What kind of bullshit? Not wanting to participate in a lap dance?
Being an uptight dickhole who expects unearned deference from other highly-paid professionals.

The lap dance thing is defensible but the way he stormed upstairs like an upset teenage girl on Full House is hilarious.

mre

Being an uptight dickhole who expects unearned deference from other highly-paid professionals.

The lap dance thing is defensible but the way he stormed upstairs like an upset teenage girl on Full House is hilarious.
You see uptight dickhole, and I see a married man who was probably really embarrassed by that whole thing even happening.

KingGondo

Banned
You see uptight dickhole, and I see a married man who was probably really embarrassed by that whole thing even happening.
I said the lapdance reaction was defensible, although stomping up the stairs and slamming the door is overkill (and I get why the players laughed their asses off).

But even if you think he was reasonable, it's well known that Saban is uptight and humorless though.

Draxal

I said the lapdance reaction was defensible, although stomping up the stairs and slamming the door is overkill (and I get why the players laughed their asses off).

But even if you think he was reasonable, it's well known that Saban is uptight and humorless though.

He linked where he got it from and it went through anecdotes that he went through with Keith Traylor and Zach Thomas.

Same. I'm a faithful married man, any prank involving a stripper would leave me in a state between mortified and incensed. Leaving the room abruptly would be a good way to defuse the situation without going completely ballistic in front of everyone.

You know what. The University of Alabama system has taken a lot of shit for killing UAB's football program, but I now believe that blame was wrongly placed. I bet, if you follow the money, Notre Dame was behind it. Notre Dame wanted UAB's uniforms, but the Blazers wouldn't give up their identity just because Notre Dame wanted them to. So Notre Dame did what Notre Dame does, and murdered UAB's football program. Now, who's to stop the Irish from picking the uniforms off of UAB's carcass, and slapping some shamrocks on them and calling the uniforms their own?

Assuming this is true, it's even funnier since those uniforms are just for one game. Notre Dame killed UAB just to wear one-off uniforms for one game ever that is being played at baseball stadium. Jesus didn't die for these sins.

mre

I, too, understand why immature jackholes would laugh at putting a married man in a difficult position. I just don't agree with it or think it's very funny. I would hold this opinion even if the coach in question was Phillip Fulmer, though, I admit, I probably wouldn't have said anything if it was him.

I don't see any disconnect between his actions leaving the room and his actions walking up the stairs and through his office door. If you think his "lapdance reaction was defensible," then why does slamming the door suddenly become unreasonable or indefensible? The man was probably both embarrassed and angered by the situation he was placed in. I would be too.
Same. I'm a faithful married man, any prank involving a stripper would leave me in a state between mortified and incensed. Leaving the room abruptly would be a good way to defuse the situation without going completely ballistic in front of everyone.
This guy gets it.
Naw, son. The political leadership of the south prior to and during the Civil War redefined incompetence, as evidenced by the fact that they let a war break out in the first place. They could probably move the Davis statue to the local dump and still be good. Now, if they do the same thing to a Robert E. Lee statue, then they might face some hostility.
Assuming this is true, it's even funnier since those uniforms are just for one game. Notre Dame killed UAB just to wear one-off uniforms for one game ever that is being played at baseball stadium. Jesus didn't die for these sins.
Notre Dame is just that damn evil.

KingGondo

Banned
His reaction was reasonable, but it still made me laugh.

Also, it's fair to say that if the players respected Saban or knew him better they wouldn't have put him in that situation in the first place. That can be both the players' and coach's fault.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Also, it's fair to say that if the players respected Saban or knew him better they wouldn't have put him in that situation in the first place. That can be both the players' and coach's fault.

It sounds like a lot of it was power struggle between players and coach, and the coach lost.

"You only roast the ones you love" and Saban was definitely roasted/pranked

mre

This is a far cry from your first post:

But I'll take it. The whole stripper story occurred before he'd coached a single game, so I'm not sure what facade of invincibility had been erected or destroyed.
It sounds like a lot of it was power struggle between players and coach, and the coach lost.
Saban's coaching style is definitely dictatorial and did not translate well to dealing with the millionaire NFL players. No denying that at all. I'm not sure if this was a power struggle, but the Keith Traylor story definitely was.

KingGondo

Banned
But I'll take it. The whole stripper story occurred before he'd coached a single game, so I'm not sure what facade of invincibility had been erected or destroyed.
I didn't even have the stripper story in mind when I made my original post. I was thinking more of the Schiano/Coughlin/Singletary types that have become rarer in the NFL.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's something Tech would do.

The legend of the Will Rogers statue having its rear end facing College Station is not actually true. I'd be surprised to find out that it's even pointing eastward enough to get past San Antonio or Austin, much less all the way to College Station.

It wasn't repositioned so that the rear end would face College Station, it was repositioned because the rear end already WAS facing directly towards downtown Lubbock. It was originally built to look like he was riding off into the Western sunset but downtown Lubbock is just a mile or two to the east and some locals apparently didn't appreciate that.

ASU and Tech were in the same conference for over 20 years but I think only played each other like 9 times. I think it was due to ASU being an integrated team.

I remember looking back at that a while back and as best as I could tell conferences in general were just quite different back then. A lot of teams would finish up the year with only a couple of conference games played.

::edit::
Example - From 1932 to 1938, Tech was in the Border Conference with 5 other teams (including ASU), but they averaged only about 1.4 conference games per season in those years. Their conference records each year were things like 2-0, 1-0, 0-0-1, etc. ASU, on the other hand, during that period averaged about 4.5 conference games per season.

Arizona, though, is in the top 10 for Tech as far as total games played. Go figure.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
20150814_090755kbsq9.jpg

Torrance Gibson, top 2-10 athlete in the 2015 class, was signed to play QB. He started taking reps at WR today, we can literally have an offensive play where only QBs are playing a different position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom