• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a show like that but with a dumpster fire program (so you can really pull for them, they are fighting uphill through adversity) with an entertaining coach.

Wazzu basically.

Just realized Michigan is opening the season on a Thursday vs Utah, weird. Also Cowherd is doing the pregame show for Fox Sports for it and interviewing Harbaugh, should be fun!

I think WVU would be perfect.

Edit: NM, I read that as "couch fire" program.

Everything I've heard is that the actual couch burning frequency is a good bit less than everyone thinks. The weed and the alcohol stereotypes though are apparently spot-on.

I just want to see what happens when a camera follows around Mike Leach for a season. That guy is crazy.

andycapps

Everything I've heard is that the actual couch burning frequency is a good bit less than everyone thinks. The weed and the alcohol stereotypes though are apparently spot-on.

I just want to see what happens when a camera follows around Mike Leach for a season. That guy is crazy.

tOSU also likes to celebrate by burning couches. I think it's a Midwestern thing.

I agree about Mike Leach. I think he's a great character. I'd also like to see Les Miles have a reality show.

I want a show like that but with a dumpster fire program (so you can really pull for them, they are fighting uphill through adversity) with an entertaining coach.

Wazzu basically.

I dunno having it be about one of the scummiest programs in America makes for entertaining television, just in the reverse.

tOSU also likes to celebrate by burning couches. I think it's a Midwestern thing.

I agree about Mike Leach. I think he's a great character. I'd also like to see Les Miles have a reality show.

It what happens when college kids have couches on their porch, some drunk kid walks by with buddies they pull it into the street and torch it.

All I'm saying is the couch already had its cushions off, and it reeked of alcohol. Being in that state with a bunch of arson loving frat boys around, and your couch is bound to get set ablaze.

Would you say that the couch deserved it, buck? Would you say that by burning the couch you were teaching it a lesson?

All im saying is the less couches mooching off the spots reserved for patio furniture the better. The patio furniture did nothing wrong, but because you can get the couches for much cheaper they are replacing the spots previously occupied by others! SO YEAH THOSE DAMN DIRTY COUCHES DESERVED IT, WAKE UP AMERICA

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
All I'm saying is the couch already had its cushions off, and it reeked of alcohol. Being in that state with a bunch of arson loving frat boys around, and your couch is bound to get set ablaze.

All im saying is the less couches mooching off the spots reserved for patio furniture the better. The patio furniture did nothing wrong, but because you can get the couches for much cheaper they are replacing the spots previously occupied by others! SO YEAH THOSE DAMN DIRTY COUCHES DESERVED IT, WAKE UP AMERICA
Come on, Cyan. Wake up. Are you really going to let this sort of talk go on here on GAF? I thought you were one of the good guys.

Hey guys, who is buying the new USC Marching band album

CMPb9lOUMAAEc4Y.jpg

In before I'm surprised it has more than 2 songs on it.

mre

Well somebody's doing the burning, mre! I mean somebody's doing it! Who's doing the burning?
We know damn well who it is. Apparently it's bucknuticus and Ron Paul. Now internet mob justice demands you make examples of them.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
After my error, I got Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and New York City. North Carolina is by far the state with the greatest match.

I've never been to any of those places though.

I got Greensboro as well, which is my home town. The others were Birmingham AL and Montomery AL. My sister was born in Birmingham, but didn't spend any significant time there, and I only know Montgomery from driving through it.
The only other place I spent any time during my formative years was Pensacola but I know I don't talk like any of them. Thats a weird mix of redneck, Spanish and some Creole and Cajun.

mre

FYI - Bama may be going with a true freshman QB. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

KingGondo

Banned
http://espn.go.com/college-football...playoff-committee-members-had-some-help-stats

When the 2014 season began, Mississippi State was unranked and considered by many to be an afterthought in the inaugural College Football Playoff.

Selection committee member Barry Alvarez had a different view.

"From the beginning of the season, he was really strong on Mississippi State," said Patrick Herb, who works in Wisconsin's athletic department and prepared statistics for Alvarez every Sunday during the season. "He liked the amount of seniors they had and their toughness on both the offensive and defensive lines. He identified that really early."

Talk about an "eye test."

It wasn't until the fifth week of the season that Mississippi State even appeared in the Associated Press Poll -- debuting at No. 14 -- but when the 12 members of the College Football Playoff unveiled their historic first ranking, the Bulldogs were No. 1.

The playoff's selection committee has an abundance of statistics available to help determine the top four teams in the country, and while the majority opted to crunch numbers on their own, some of the sitting athletic directors like Wisconsin's Alvarez found it beneficial to get some help. All of them agreed, though, that the statistics were only a part of the equation -- data used to either confirm or negate what they were watching on Saturdays.
No confirmation bias here!

"We found that the statistical and analytic side of the stats that we were charting supported what he was seeing, that yep, [Mississippi State] is a really productive team and a team that's going to win a lot of games and beat good teams," he said. "It was very validating for him to come up with his opinion of a team early on and then have the statistical and empirical data match that or validate that."
Dat eye test!

mre

All the 5* Qbs Bama gets, i wonder why they haven't sent a first rounder to the NFL yet.
Imma need to your list of all the 5* QBs you think we've signed.

Here's mine:
Blake Barnett (2015) <-- universal 5*
Phillip Sims (2010) <-- rated 5* by 1 service, later transferred to UVA when McCarron beat him out for the job.
Brodie Croyle (2001) <-- probably universal 5*, but data is sketchy from this far back.

So, really, in the past 16 or 17 years, we've had one 5* QB who committed, enrolled, and graduated/stayed until the draft, and that was Croyle. Croyle, while a great college QB, had both his draft stock and his ability wrecked by knee surgeries during his college years, thanks to that asshat Bucketstep Bob Connelley, our o-line coach, who essentially trained 5 turnstiles to stand roughly in a line.

As an aside, I thought it was odd (sad? indicative of the times?) that we had a class of 31 in 2000, but apparently not 1 QB. Oh, and this class included Albert Means. :|

I has a sad now.

edit: I hate the playoff comittee so much.
I will never understand why they didn't just take the top 4 from the BCS standings.

KingGondo

Banned
To be fair, I think they got the top 4 right last season.

But that doesn't mean that the process is free from bias. That's where the perception of the SECSECSEC really helps them, because every win is magnified and every loss comes with the asterisk that it was against a tough SECSECSEC team.

I mean, Mississippi State was good last year, but they were ranked #1 in the first playoff rankings by going 7-0 against this:

Southern Miss
UAB
@ South Alabama
@ LSU (highly ranked at the time, overrated)
Aggy (highly ranked at the time, overrated)
Auburn (highly ranked at the time, overrated)
@ Kentucky

mre said:
thanks to that asshat Bucketstep Bob Connelley, our o-line coach, who essentially trained 5 turnstiles to stand roughly in a line.
He left OSU in the offseason for USC. Liking the new guy a LOT more thus far.

those UCLA ones are SO bad.

"Hey, we are working with one of the most iconic color schemes in the sport"
"Cool, let's not use it"

edit: also the tire track thing adidas does NEEDS to stop.

KingGondo

Banned
Don't mind the ND unis. Not *great*, but could be a lot worse.

However, the expression of the UCLA player model says it all. Looks like a kid being forced to wear a pink tie on Easter.

And holy shit at the EMU unis. Those might be a new low, even for Adidas.

my favorite uniform pic from the offseason

bhV0xDP.jpg

not sure if he's going to a start in a cfb game or do a shift at whataburger after high school band practice

Imma need to your list of all the 5* QBs you think we've signed.

Here's mine:
Blake Barnett (2015) <-- universal 5*
Phillip Sims (2010) <-- rated 5* by 1 service, later transferred to UVA when McCarron beat him out for the job.
Brodie Croyle (2001) <-- probably universal 5*, but data is sketchy from this far back.

So, really, in the past 16 or 17 years, we've had one 5* QB who committed, enrolled, and graduated/stayed until the draft, and that was Croyle. Croyle, while a great college QB, had both his draft stock and his ability wrecked by knee surgeries during his college years, thanks to that asshat Bucketstep Bob Connelley, our o-line coach, who essentially trained 5 turnstiles to stand roughly in a line.

As an aside, I thought it was odd (sad? indicative of the times?) that we had a class of 31 in 2000, but apparently not 1 QB. Oh, and this class included Albert Means. :|

I has a sad now.

I will never understand why they didn't just take the top 4 from the BCS standings.

I only started following college football 4 years ago so i might have got their ratings wrong.
But every year it seems they sign a top QB.
Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell. Got Blake Barnett this offseason aswell.

It seems like the last 4 years they've had a someone taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft from every position except QB, which is highly impressive.

mre

I only started following college football 4 years ago so i might have got their ratings wrong.
But every year it seems they sign a top QB.
Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell. Got Blake Barnett this offseason aswell.

It seems like the last 4 years they've had a someone taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft from every position except QB, which is highly impressive.
It's cool, and glad to have you in the thread. We've had plenty of highly ranked QB recruits, but not many 5*s. Bateman and Cornwell were quality players, just not 5*s. Cornwell seems to be in the mix to start this year. Not sure what happened to Bateman. Barnett's name is being mentioned as well for the starting position.

By the way, which team do you pull for so everyone knows whether to mock you or welcome you depending upon their respective team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom