• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There was a bunch of stuff I didn't really know or have names for like the drive thru liquor store or the green space between the street and the sidewalk.

ag-my001

Oh hey, football.

-ACC
Coastal - Duke
Atlantic - FSU

-B1G
East - tOSU
West - Nebraska

-Big 12 TCU

-PAC 12
North - Stanford
South - ASU

-SEC
East - Mizzou
West - Bama

-AAC
East - UCF
West - Memphis

Playoff Semi
1 tOSU
2 ASU
3 TCU
4 FSU
Finals
1 tOSU
2 TCU
Champion
TCU

Yep. I honestly think this might be the year the SEC champ has too many losses (probably 2, 1 of them dumb). Too many young quarterbacks. Alternate scenario is FSU winning the ACC with 2 or 3 losses.

Jhriad

Yep. I honestly think this might be the year the SEC champ has too many losses (probably 2, 1 of them dumb). Too many young quarterbacks. Alternate scenario is FSU winning the ACC with 2 or 3 losses.

Only way I see the SEC champ getting left out is if Notre Dame steals a spot. Even with two losses I can see a lot of pundits arguing for the SEC champ's inclusion in the playoff.

andycapps

Maybe. The dumb loss to VT didn't keep tOSU out last year with a weak schedule, so as long as it's only 1 loss, should be okay. 2 losses for any team and things get a lot more hazy. Depends on how much you lost by and, like you alluded to, who the losses were.

When it gets interesting is if the final spot would be between a 2 loss SEC champion and a 1 loss Big 12 champ that obviously didn't play a conference championship game.

Maybe. The dumb loss to VT didn't keep tOSU out last year with a weak schedule, so as long as it's only 1 loss, should be okay. 2 losses for any team and things get a lot more hazy. Depends on how much you lost by and, like you alluded to, who the losses were.

When it gets interesting is if the final spot would be between a 2 loss SEC champion and a 1 loss Big 12 champ that obviously didn't play a conference championship game.

depends, which Big 12 team are we talking about? (and for that matter, what SEC team are we talking about)

The interesting point though is that a perennial G5 powerhouse going undefeated or ND / BYU having a one loss season make the playoff picture a huge mess.

Thankfully I doubt the zoobs will ever be able to pull of that kind of record w/ their scheduling and there's really just one G5 team w/ enough cred to cause problems in Boise St. So it's just Boise St. and ND that could push out a conference champion.

This faithful non-alumni fan did, though.

it's a reload, not a rebuild, I suppose. Even with the ducking of the good atlantic teams it's a rough road to the Coastal title.

Jhriad

The interesting point though is that a perennial G5 powerhouse going undefeated or ND / BYU having a one loss season make the playoff picture a huge mess.

Thankfully I doubt the zoobs will ever be able to pull of that kind of record w/ their scheduling and there's really just one G5 team w/ enough cred to cause problems in Boise St. So it's just Boise St. and ND that could push out a conference champion.

BYU won't sniff that discussion even if they manage a one loss season. Their schedule is aggressively mediocre and there's not enough interest outside their fan base. Barring unprecedented numbers of losses for conference champions, BYU has to go undefeated with their schedule to have any hope of making the playoff. As for Boise State, given their schedule I have my doubts as to whether or not they'd make it in over some one loss teams from the SEC or PAC 12.

it's a reload, not a rebuild, I suppose. Even with the ducking of the good atlantic teams it's a rough road to the Coastal title.

I think Duke might play Florida State or Clemson again sometime during Hillary's second term. But, yes, the two Techs and Miami will be tough on the Coastal side. Presumably. I mean, what do I know.

BYU won't sniff that discussion even if they manage a one loss season. Their schedule is aggressively mediocre and there's not enough interest outside their fan base. Barring unprecedented numbers of losses for conference champions, BYU has to go undefeated with their schedule to have any hope of making the playoff. As for Boise State, given their schedule I have my doubts as to whether or not they'd make it in over some one loss teams from the SEC or PAC 12.

If you go one loss in the SEC or PAC you're in. I don't know of any world where that wouldn't be the case. The issue is more a 2/3 loss SEC or PAC champion when there's an undefeated Boise St or one loss ND/BYU out there with an impressive overall campaign.

BYU plays a good schedule. They play good P5 teams, some G5 teams that are IMO as good or better than a lot of the lower to mid tier P5 teams, and a couple of cupcakes. A one loss Cougar team with a strong outing deserves real consideration if there are a couple of two-loss conference champions.

If you go one loss in the SEC or PAC you're in. I don't know of any world where that wouldn't be the case. The issue is more a 2/3 loss SEC or PAC champion when there's an undefeated Boise St or one loss ND/BYU out there with an impressive overall campaign.

BYU plays a good schedule. They play good P5 teams, some G5 teams that are IMO as good or better than a lot of the lower to mid tier P5 teams, and a couple of cupcakes. A one loss Cougar team with a strong outing deserves real consideration if there are a couple of two-loss conference champions.

I can, if the other four P5 champs are all undefeated :p

I can, if the other four P5 champs are all undefeated :p

Almost unfathomable in an era of 12 game regular seasons and conference championship games, though.

Provo has the university's ice cream which you will need to feel better about being in Provo. Have your fun the night before in SLC, which is actually a kickin' city.

Rice for the MNC

Make it so.

I mean I lead UCF to multiple titles (I did give up on my goal of making them a triple option school because the option was unusable in that years version of NCAA) so I need a new challenge when this arrives. Should I move them to a bigger conference or just see how long it takes to build them up?

Pac-12 hasn't won (and kept) a title in a while. Toss them a bone.

It would only take 1 season to win a title with any of the top tier Pac 12 programs in these games. As long as you stay undefeated and play in a big conference the game will eventually rank you in the top 2. Although it does seem to prefer the Big 12 and SEC over my reworked Big East but that could've just been a SoS issue.

I guess I could try and see what happens if 3 Big 5 schools end up undefeated.

Meier

Update on Dalvin Cook:

Florida State sophomore running back Dalvin Cook has a motion hearing for his misdemeanor battery case set for Wednesday at 10:30 a.m.

Cook’s legal counsel filed a demand for a speedy trial in Leon County last Thursday.
His attorney, Ricky Patel, told TomahawkNation.com Monday that a new witness has come forward to refute claims made by another witness and details of the victim’s 911 call after the incident occurred.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...n-cook-motion-hearing-set-wednesday/31494057/

Jhriad

If you go one loss in the SEC or PAC you're in. I don't know of any world where that wouldn't be the case.

I wasn't talking about a one loss conference champion. I was talking about a one loss runner up. A close conference title game, or a close conference game in the case of teams in the same division, could see an argument being made for say, Ohio State & Michigan State going into the playoff rather than Ohio State & Boise State. Something along the lines of the Alabama/LSU snorefest rematch we had a few years back. If Boise wins out but in an unimpressive fashion that, along with their weak SOS, could well keep them out of the playoff barring a good number of losses among the top teams of every P5 conference.

The issue is more a 2/3 loss SEC or PAC champion when there's an undefeated Boise St or one loss ND/BYU out there with an impressive overall campaign.

There's almost no way a one loss campaign by BYU would get them into the playoff. They don't play a conference championship, their FPI is middling, and, unfortunately for them, they aren't as big a name that can open those doors like Notre Dame. I know BYU likes to think they are but they're not.

Boise State aside, those G5 teams are, at best, on the tier of teams like Rutgers and Maryland. Meaning they're matchups that only really provide a marginal boost to BYU's playoff hopes. BYU has to go undefeated to have any reasonable chance at a playoff bid over their P5 competition. In a lot of cases the boost provided by conference championship games is too significant for a one loss BYU to overcome. Additionally, given the same win-loss record for BYU and Notre Dame, Notre Dame will probably get the nod over BYU. So there are only two realistic scenarios for BYU to make the playoff:
The 'Win Everything' Option:
  1. 12-0
  2. There cannot be four other undefeated teams between the P5 conferences and Notre Dame.
The 'Say Your Prayers' Option:
  1. 11-1
  2. Wins are in convincing fashion. BYU won't have the benefit of drubbing someone in a conference championship game like Ohio State did last year so the way they win & lose matters considerably.
  3. Notre Dame's record can be no better than 10-2.
  4. At least three P5 conference champions have X-2 records.
  5. BYU's loss can't be to a 13-0 Boise State.
  6. BYU's loss can't be to UCLA since, at this point in the preseason, that is likely their only potential win against a Top 15 opponent. Any BYU wins over the other P5 teams/Boise State also likely means those teams are less likely to end up in the Top 15 at the end of the regular season. *If Missouri is Top 15 at the time of playing BYU they can end the regular season there if they play well in the BYU game and afterward.
  7. Nebraska, Michigan, and Missouri must all have decent records.
  8. BYU's loss comes early and to a team that, at the end of the season, shows itself to be reasonably good. Best case would be a close loss to either Nebraska or Michigan and the winner goes on to do above and beyond expectations for this year. A close loss to an eventual SEC Champion Missouri would also be acceptable. As this loss would be late in the season it's more important that Missouri be Good to soften the blow to BYU's rank in the polls.

hahahahaha Cherry quit after like a week of practice. Welcome to college kid.

And apparently RS-FR runningback Duke Catalon decided to leave too, just hours after Cherry. Catalon was probably going to be our 3rd string RB, but would have definitely gotten plenty of playing time.

So Notre Dame just signed a deal with Showtime to make a hard knocks style show that will begin filming immediately. I think it's a plot by Kelly to make his players do their homework and stop cheating because they'll be followed around by cameras all the time.

andycapps

So Notre Dame just signed a deal with Showtime to make a hard knocks style show that will begin filming immediately. I think it's a plot by Kelly to make his players do their homework and stop cheating because they'll be followed around by cameras all the time.

If we'd had this a few years ago we'd have had more info on Lennay Kekua.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom