• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that wording, I wonder that if they received a larger number of petitions from a variety of schools/conferences/divisions would cause them to re-evaluate this decision.

It's really hard to look at even the middle tier programs in the country and not say that the schools are not producing a competitive entertainment product with a lot of the product being uncompensated for their work by the universities and organizational institutions overseeing the competition.

I don't even get why competitive balance should be a concern, as though that's some immutable principle that can't be violated.

There really has never been a whole lot of parity in CFB until you get in the top 10 ranked teams. There's something like 120 BCS programs, and before the season starts, about 70 programs have No chance of sniffing a championship. When was the last time a mid-major won a championship? Will player compensation shift the trend in either direction? I think not.

Lunar15

Colleges being able to pay players is such a tricky aspect. For it to work, it has to come top down from the NCAA, but even then it disenfranchises "poorer" schools. I've thought about all of this over and over again and I can't come to a solution.

I just think we need a minor league system for professional football. CFB will suffer, but honestly I think at this point it should. It's too much of a money-making system and the lack of ethics is out of control.

Draxal

I don't even get why competitive balance should be a concern, as though that's some immutable principle that can't be violated.

The problem with paying players isn't the Div 1 FBS schools, but it's everything else that it affects which could also than trickle down to high school.

I mean right now college sports is all about football in Div 1 (basketball in other divisions) subsidizing non revenue sports including almost every female program in the country.

You pay the athletes, than college sports dies because of Title IX implications as it would kill every non revenue male sport and the bare minimum of female programs to be the equivalent of the male basketball and football teams worth of scholarships.

The competitive balance is more pertaining to the affect that it will have sports on whole instead of the Power 5.

Colleges being able to pay players is such a tricky aspect. For it to work, it has to come top down from the NCAA, but even then it disenfranchises "poorer" schools. I've thought about all of this over and over again and I can't come to a solution.

I just think we need a minor league system for professional football. CFB will suffer, but honestly I think at this point it should. It's too much of a money-making system and the lack of ethics is out of control.

Problem is that fans are not the fans of the players but the university, and it will kill women sports development in the country, when you take the number one source of revenue from all sports programs out of college sports.

KingGondo

Banned
The problem with paying players isn't the Div 1 FBS schools, but it's everything else that it affects and also high school.

I mean right now college sports is all about football in Div 1 (basketball in other divisions) subsidizing non revenue sports including almost every female program in the country.

You pay the athletes, than college sports dies because of Title IX implications.
I know it's complicated. I know it's uncharted territory.

But the status quo is patently absurd and immoral. The players have to be given some sort of protection to negotiate a fair deal.

Draxal

I know it's complicated. I know it's uncharted territory.

But the status quo is patently absurd and immoral. The players have to be given some sort of protection to negotiate a fair deal.

It's immoral, but the benefits to it right now outweigh the downsides.

Who needs an O-line anyway?

No Seattle-based football team, that's who!

I'm really rooting for Washington. Everything about Oregon is awful and I'd love to see the Huskies or the Beavers ruin their season over and over until the end of time.

You can lose the Utah St. game though. :)

cdyhybrid

I'm really rooting for Washington. Everything about Oregon is awful and I'd love to see the Huskies or the Beavers ruin their season over and over until the end of time.

You can lose the Utah St. game though. :)

We just might! One total returning start at QB, no full-time returning starters on OL. Gonna be a struggle to score points this year unless these young guys surprise.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
For a second, I wondered if UW was where Bucketstep Bob went, but then I checked and he is still at USCw. I can now understand why Towns is transferring.

Speaking of Useless QB's who transfer, seems like Jacob Coker messed up his foot enough in practice that he had surgery this morning. Prognosis is he only will miss a few days of practice. Bad thing is, with a QB race this tight (because no one has a clue who will start), losing what's probably 1/4th of your fall practice to injury will kill your starting chances.

For a second, I wondered if UW was where Bucketstep Bob went, but then I checked and he is still at USCw. I can now understand why Towns is transferring.

Speaking of Useless QB's who transfer, seems like Jacob Coker messed up his foot enough in practice that he had surgery this morning. Prognosis is he only will miss a few days of practice. Bad thing is, with a QB race this tight (because no one has a clue who will start), losing what's probably 1/4th of your fall practice to injury will kill your starting chances.

It could also be because of stuff like this:

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2...uiting-5-star-qb-will-announce-his-commitment

Towns wouldn't play much/at all this year. Then he'd have to fight off Browne and Martell and Darnold for the job next year. Who knows I guess.

Also this is funny:

https://twitter.com/MattRHinton/status/633364624826433536

Lonestar

I'll stick with my theory. You're going to be running the Waterboy out there to play QB in about 6 weeks, once USCw's O-Line gets their QB's destroyed.

I got my copy of NCAA 14 this weekend. Thanks to the work of dedicated aspe- er fans, I'm playing the 2013 season with 2015 rosters.

I also updated the American Athletic Conference to include all the current schools.

Game seems to be better in some areas and just as dumb as the past ones. I enjoy two weeks into the season that Braxton Miller is a Heisman Trophy candidate with 0 receptions.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Welp.

I don't understand that rationale at all.

Competitive balance? For Northwestern?

giphy.gif

andycapps

Good lord man, I don't even want to know what backwaters hole you found that in.
I saw it a few days ago and figured it was too horrible to post.

This is OT, but thinking of creating a thread for this. Not sure if thread worthy but I saw the Red and Black posted it. Athens-Clarke County police officer fired after he beat an intoxicated frat member. He seems to have lost his cool and has enough of the drunk kid being drunk and starts hitting him with his baton.

The video could also be titled "bro, I'm trying to ask you a question, bro"

http://youtu.be/p82g5pHeAIE

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I saw it a few days ago and figured it was too horrible to post.

This is OT, but thinking of creating a thread for this. Not sure if thread worthy but I saw the Red and Black posted it. Athens-Clarke County police officer fired after he beat an intoxicated frat member. He seems to have lost his cool and has enough of the drunk kid being drunk and starts hitting him with his baton.

The video could also be titled "bro, I'm trying to ask you a question, bro"

http://youtu.be/p82g5pHeAIE
I no longer believe you to be a Georgia fan.
free cajunator
free bluemax
free threeballz
free TDG
to borrow from popGAF, you're really going to "stan" for threeballz?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ahh. I actually checked to see if cajunator was unbanned, perhaps by cyan. Nope.

There are no heroes.

I feel bad for Cajun, being one of the few Saints fans. He always seemed like a nice guy. I got tired of NFL Gaf so I didn't see too many posts of his except when he'd come in here.

I'm sure he meant well trying to defend a friend but thats a hard subject to justify.

Lonestar

Lunar, have you been in here since CFB-GAF's inception, because that's the right kind of stuff.

Ketchup is only good on Fries, and mixed with Mustard on burgers. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom